• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

appaws

Banned
I did a little mockup of my build using stock and random people's photos from Google images. All the components are ones I'm actually using minus the pump/res (will be similar though, just with black chrome tension rods and red lighting) and the GPU (picture is an awkward angle shot of a 1080 with water block; I'll be on a 1080Ti with block). Proportions should be about right. Fittings and couple of tube bends are off but again it's just to give me an idea of the setup and loop.

Parts list here

I thought of perhaps taking PSU apart and painting the vent red, but I'll probably just use a section of the Hue+ lighting kit LEDs to outline it. The rest of the kit will go in as of yet undetermined locations on the case and be either all white or a mix of white and the navy color from Washington Capitals/Wizards logos (this build is kind of a tribute to DC sports: black/red - DC united, white/red - Nats, red/navy - Caps, Wizards). Nothing for Redskins because I'm not putting any ugly ass gold in there but red is close enough to burgundy.

I will not be using the stupid fucking riser cable (which allows you to put your card vertically) until Thermaltake can figure it out. I know there are 3rd party cables but I've read the reviews on them and there's not enough a consensus on quality that I'm going to pay up to $60 for a cable to potentially hurt my performance or even damage something. And since this is a water build with rigid tubes I'm not redoing the fucking thing shortly after putting everything together.

Looks like it's going to be pretty sweet.

Jeff6851

Anyone have anecdotes on using SSDs and HDDs? When I upgrade storage, I will be going with a 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD and an SSD.

Should I get 128 GB or 256 GB? I plan to put my operating system on it, definitely. Is there anything else I should have on it? The size question is due to price and speed difference on loading larger games.

Weevilone

If the PCB has more efficient power delivery, cooling will be more efficient.

Any benefit in that regard will be negligible. Regardless, the discussion has been shifted. The original point was that the custom 1080s didn't have another level of performance due to custom PCB improvements.

Anyone have anecdotes on using SSDs and HDDs? When I upgrade storage, I will be going with a 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD and an SSD.

Should I get 128 GB or 256 GB? I plan to put my operating system on it, definitely. Is there anything else I should have on it? The size question is due to price and speed difference on loading larger games.

Rule of thumb is that larger SSDs perform much better because they use more NAND packages, so parallelism helps with read/write operations.

If you can afford it, get a 250-ish SSD. That provides room for a decent number of larger games, where 120-ish would require a fair bit of juggling after 2 or 3.

Jeff6851

Any benefit in that regard will be negligible. Regardless, the discussion has been shifted. The original point was that the custom 1080s didn't have another level of performance due to custom PCB improvements.

Rule of thumb is that larger SSDs perform much better because they use more NAND packages, so parallelism helps with read/write operations.

I know this is a judgment call but is the fast operation worth the extra cost?

0racle

FFS !!!!

I just ran a 50 foot HDMI cable to my receiver, and now there is no display. I tested before and the cable is fine. It appears that there is no HDCP support for my receiver according to the geforce experience/nvidia control.

How the hell? its a marantz receiver and I have had zero issues with it since I got it. Any ideas?

The larger the better. Don't know your budget and how many games you typically have installed simultaneously but considering the size of the average game these days, that 256GB will likely fill up much faster than you expect. Keep in mind you can get a Samsung 500GB 850 EVO for like 150 bucks (here's one)

Looks like it's going to be pretty sweet.

Yes, in theory! Now let's see what happens once I put it together, fill the loop and push the power button...

0racle

FFS !!!!

I just ran a 50 foot HDMI cable to my receiver, and now there is no display. I tested before and the cable is fine. It appears that there is no HDCP support for my receiver according to the geforce experience/nvidia control.

How the hell? its a marantz receiver and I have had zero issues with it since I got it. Any ideas?

somehow I got it working by turning everything on and off. I know..typical tech support step one that I somehow missed.

I am wondering now on how to set up gaming. How do I make the game play on the monitor I choose? Sometimes I may want my 21x9 vs the projector. Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

Weevilone

I know this is a judgment call but is the fast operation worth the extra cost?

I think so. My personal experience so far is that anything that helps an SSD saturate a SATA III link is beneficial and amazing. Plus, you are getting a faster drive AND more storage space.

Beyond that, when I went to M.2 it was fine. I could notice it under very select circumstances, but it was anything but exciting. Honestly the best part was losing the cables.

Z170's are technically compatible but require a BIOS update, as they're made for Skylake. It's Z270 you want for a kabylake board. There's some references to look at in Haz' builds.

Get a Z270 board.

I totally forgot about this in the OT. Looks like the z270 is the way to go

What was the dilemma? Is this the bottlenecking paranoia again?

After you guys told me about the bottlenecking, in which it wouldn't do that, I decided to keep it. but I figured that I could actually build on the i7, so since I was able to return it, I just paid more for the i7 just incase I was able to somehow get a 1080 for cheap. However the 1070 is a deadlock for me just to keep me on budget

Crap. Just checked Amazon this morning and CPU prices have gone back up. Missed the boat badly on this one, so I'll have to wait a bit until they come back down to upgrade.

LordAlu

Ryzen 5 information was released this morning.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amds-zen-goes-mainstream-with-ryzen-5-4-cores-8-threads-from-169/

• Ryzen 5 1600X - 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.6GHz base, 4.0GHz turbo, 95W, 16MB L3, no cooler. $249.
  • Ryzen 5 1600 - 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.4GHz base, 3.6GHz turbo, 65W, 16MB L3, Wraith Spire cooler. $219.
  • Ryzen 5 1500X - 4 cores, 8 threads, 3.5GHz base, 3.7GHz turbo, 65W 16MB L3, Wraith Spire cooler. $189.
  • Ryzen 5 1400 - 4 cores, 8 threads, 3.2GHz base, 3.4GHz turbo, 65W, 8MB L3, Wraith Stealth cooler. $169.
Should be showing up on web stores soon, although you can't pre-order them.

kennah

somehow I got it working by turning everything on and off. I know..typical tech support step one that I somehow missed.

I am wondering now on how to set up gaming. How do I make the game play on the monitor I choose? Sometimes I may want my 21x9 vs the projector. Is there a simple way to accomplish this?
Windows key + P

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amds-zen-goes-mainstream-with-ryzen-5-4-cores-8-threads-from-169/

• Ryzen 5 1600X - 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.6GHz base, 4.0GHz turbo, 95W, 16MB L3, no cooler. $249.
  • Ryzen 5 1600 - 6 cores, 12 threads, 3.4GHz base, 3.6GHz turbo, 65W, 16MB L3, Wraith Spire cooler. $219.
  • Ryzen 5 1500X - 4 cores, 8 threads, 3.5GHz base, 3.7GHz turbo, 65W 16MB L3, Wraith Spire cooler. $189.
  • Ryzen 5 1400 - 4 cores, 8 threads, 3.2GHz base, 3.4GHz turbo, 65W, 8MB L3, Wraith Stealth cooler. $169.

Is it weird if I think the 1400 is the most interesting prospect there? The article cites it as going up against the i3-7350k, while what I've generally heard of that chip suggests it to not really be worth the money - that is to say, if you're willing to spend that much on an i3, just get the lowest level i5 so you have an actual quad core. But, the lowest level Kaby Lake i5 is over $190 dollars, so if the 1400 is a good quad core at that price range, it seems like a good hole in the market for AMD to drop itself down into.

T.O.P

Banned
Need a little help here, this is my early '15 build (only difference is that the motherboard was the smaller version of the PRO4 but i can't remember the name on the top of my head)

17190529_10212106048605je1.jpg

Rig is still doing its job, but the gpu memory limit it's starting to show up with the latest game releases.
My question is, can i just switch my MSI 970 for a MSI Aero 1070 (390€) and be done with the changes or should i also go with a i7 while i'm at it? Could my i5 e a limit to the new gpu?
And also, is the PSU enough for a 1070? will i have enough space for the the new gpu in my case? And last one, since the Noctua coolers i have are gigantic and a pain in the ass to clean, any smaller and cheap alternatives?

My knowledge on this field is pretty much zero so bear with me please :)

Godan

So right now i have had a GTX 980 Ti basically from the first month the 980 Ti's came out.

How much on an improvement would it be getting a 1080 Ti?

My CPU is a 4770k O'C'd to 4.2GHz as well. So thinking of maybe getthing the 1080 ti in a few months.

ElyrionX

Does anyone have any experience with the Dell S2716DG? It is a Gsync monitor that is not ugly like the Gsync gaming monitors from Asus and Acer. Only issue is that it is a TN panel and not IPS. I've been on the Dell IPS Ultrasharp monitors for the past decade so not sure if going back to TN is a good idea.

Skyr

So right now i have had a GTX 980 Ti basically from the first month the 980 Ti's came out.

My CPU is a 4770k O'C'd to 4.2GHz as well. So thinking of maybe getthing the 1080 ti in a few months.

Should be around 40 - 60 % depending on the resolution you are playing on.

Finaika

Around 50% faster.

Durante

Does anyone have any experience with the Dell S2716DG? It is a Gsync monitor that is not ugly like the Gsync gaming monitors from Asus and Acer. Only issue is that it is a TN panel and not IPS. I've been on the Dell IPS Ultrasharp monitors for the past decade so not sure if going back to TN is a good idea.
It's really rather subjective.

I know people who have no problem using IPS at work and gaming on a TN G-sync screen. But personally, after using VA and IPS for a decade I tried to do the same and really couldn't stand it. Even just browsing GAF with different shades of orange on the topmost and bottommost thread annoyed me to no end. (Yes, I realize that this is really strange, but it's the truth)

Around 50% faster.
When you are fully GPU limited it seems to be roughly 70%.

Durante

Thanks. It does seem like it will be worth it the for me then. I only play at 1080p but with a 144Hz monitor.
You have a fast CPU, but at 1080p you should probably still use either in-game supersampling or DSR to make the most of a 1080ti in most games.

Bloodember

Need a little help here, this is my early '15 build (only difference is that the motherboard was the smaller version of the PRO4 but i can't remember the name on the top of my head)

17190529_10212106048605je1.jpg

Rig is still doing its job, but the gpu memory limit it's starting to show up with the latest game releases.
My question is, can i just switch my MSI 970 for a MSI Aero 1070 (390€) and be done with the changes or should i also go with a i7 while i'm at it? Could my i5 e a limit to the new gpu?
And also, is the PSU enough for a 1070? will i have enough space for the the new gpu in my case? And last one, since the Noctua coolers i have are gigantic and a pain in the ass to clean, any smaller and cheap alternatives?

My knowledge on this field is pretty much zero so bear with me please :)
You'll be fine.

Godan

You have a fast CPU, but at 1080p you should probably still use either in-game supersampling or DSR to make the most of a 1080ti in most games.

Thanks.

Think i will wait till around July time then to get it as there should me more options out by then of the card.

Hopefully i can get £250+ back about then as well for my 980 Ti lol

ElyrionX

I know people who have no problem using IPS at work and gaming on a TN G-sync screen. But personally, after using VA and IPS for a decade I tried to do the same and really couldn't stand it. Even just browsing GAF with different shades of orange on the topmost and bottommost thread annoyed me to no end. (Yes, I realize that this is really strange, but it's the truth)

I know exactly what you mean because this bugged me a lot on my old TN monitors at work too lol. Oh well, I guess I will wait (maybe in vain) for Dell to launch an Ultrasharp Gsync monitor then.

Vipu

Banned

Same for me, im never gonna get TN again.
I had IPS for very long time, then got 144hz tn and straight after using it I was like "wow this looks bad, well I will get used to it for sure", nop I havent after almost 3 years.

Colors just look so different everywhere around the screen and brightness/gamma also looks different on top and bottom, its just horrible compared to when I look at IPS.

nOoblet16

Ok I've been rocking a 780Ti for a while now, and I'm this close to jumping into the upgrade train. My friend is traveling to states this week and I can ask him to get me a GPU for cheap.

I game at 1080P but I do love myself some supersampling although it's not necessary, the most important thing is that I can get perfect 60 frames per second with minimal to no graphical sacrifices. Considering all that I donno if I should buy a 1080 or settle with a 1070. I've managed to find used cards that would put the 1080 only about $100 more expensive than the 1070 but saving money is also nice.

Sarcasm

Buying and shipping from the states is still cheaper for I and I noticed that EVGA has more options.

How is the hybrid version? Especially the FTW hybrid? I live in Taiwan so wonder if that is a better choice for cooling.

Ok I've been rocking a 780Ti for a while now, and I'm this close to jumping into the upgrade train. My friend is traveling to states this week and I can ask him to get me a GPU for cheap.

I game at 1080P but I do love myself some supersampling although it's not necessary, the most important thing is that I can get perfect 60 frames per second with minimal to no graphical sacrifices. Considering all that I donno if I should buy a 1080 or settle with a 1070. I've managed to find used cards that would put the 1080 only about $100 more expensive than the 1070 but saving money is also nice.

1080. Buy EVGA as the warranty works internationally regardless to where you buy it.

So, I bit on the Heatkiller IV Pro (http://shop.watercool.de/epages/WatercooleK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WatercooleK/Products/18000), paid, then a few minutes later found this:

https://modmymods.com/aquacomputer-cuplex-kryos-next-with-vision-1156-1155-1151-1150-acetal-copper-21639.html

Yes, that is an LCD on the block. Now I probably won't be utilizing it much for temp reads as I'll have other things for that but this thing also has a flow sensor input, USB interface, and various hardware data can be programmed into the customizable display.

How fucking sweet is that???? There is a really sexy Nickel-Nickel version (https://modmymods.com/aquacomputer-...-1156-1155-1151-1150-nickel-nickel-21633.html) but sold out. I emailed modmymods to ask for ETA.

Anyway, bottom line is I'm going to grab one of these and will probably just sell the Heatkiller. I may open them both up and just kind of check them out first as a comparison, but from the few things I've read online, the Kryos is a high quality block so I'm assuming that their performance is about the same (haven't been able to find any actual benchmarks for the Kryos) and I'd prefer the uniqueness of having the display. Unless I opt for the Nickel-Nickel depending on when it's expected to be in stock, the Acetal-Nickel is the same price as the Heatkiller.

hello everyone.
i was wondering if someone would be able to assist with compiling a build for audio work, using a DAW mainly with plug ins and software instruments, but also recording an instrument every so often.
i'm more than happy to build the PC myself as i've done it in the past, i just haven't in such a long time (used a macbook pro in between) and so i'm out of the loop in regards to what you can get nowadays.
i don't have a budget as of yet which i appreciate isn't helpful but i was mainly wondering whether anyone else has built for audio work and what they looked to get.

thanks!

LordAlu

hello everyone.
i was wondering if someone would be able to assist with compiling a build for audio work, using a DAW mainly with plug ins and software instruments, but also recording an instrument every so often.
i'm more than happy to build the PC myself as i've done it in the past, i just haven't in such a long time (used a macbook pro in between) and so i'm out of the loop in regards to what you can get nowadays.
i don't have a budget as of yet which i appreciate isn't helpful but i was mainly wondering whether anyone else has built for audio work and what they looked to get.

thanks!
Enough Cores/Threads & RAM, an SSD preferably and sound-deadened case/PSU. Plus whatever audio specific hardware you need. That's pretty much it really.

LilJoka

The 1.325 Vcore is what I set in BIOS.

From what I've read, it's fairly easy to OC a 6700K to a point where there is essentially no performance difference (in games, mind you) with a 7700K, so are there any other factors that make the 7700K better?

Nothing, just that 7700k is garunteed to run faster.

Weevilone

The 7700K also gains some additional flexibility when decoding UHD video streams, and navigating the unfortunately necessary DRM. It's key for disks, but will also be needed for some streaming video as well.

I'm unclear regarding the benefits of the 200 series chipset and the extra general purpose PCIe lanes. I'm uncertain if you can gain these with the 6700K.

Waxy

I hope this is the right thread for this, but my old pc recently took a dump on me and I am looking to get a somewhat decent gaming pc. I don't really know much about pc parts and such but I found this build online.
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Kq4qqs

I mainly use my pc for ff14 and some civilization and I'm wondering if this build has everything I need before I go and buy the parts. I noticed it doesn't have any cooling parts or anything but is that only needed for really demanding games?

Question: I was downloading TF2 while I was out for six hours in big picture mode. Before I left, I turned off the TV while it was downloading.

I came home and when I turned the TV on, it didn't see my pc. I had to power the pc off and on so the TV could connect. Any solutions?

(I have the normal sleep options in windows turned off)

PS: SSD drives are fucking awesome.

I hope this is the right thread for this, but my old pc recently took a dump on me and I am looking to get a somewhat decent gaming pc. I don't really know much about pc parts and such but I found this build online.

I mainly use my pc for ff14 and some civilization and I'm wondering if this build has everything I need before I go and buy the parts. I noticed it doesn't have any cooling parts or anything but is that only needed for really demanding games?

If just FF14 and Civ and you're not hung up on high resolution and max settings, etc, I'm sure it'd be fine.

Only thing is I can't imagine not having a SSD in a modern build. You can still have a HDD for big storage if cost is a major factor but at least use a smaller SSD for Windows and your most-played games. They're very affordable these days.

LordAlu

It ain't too bad. I'd recommend filling out the questionnaire in the OP (I've reproduced it below) and posting it here, as it's possible we could refine it a bit specifically for you.
[Basic Desktop Questions]
- Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
- Budget: Price Range + Country
- Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii/Wii U), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
- Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? (1080p, 1440p, 4K (2160p) Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
- List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA / GSYNC / FREESYNC to you?
- Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
- When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait?
- Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)

Waxy

Ok thanks for the replies! I'll look into a SSD as well.

It ain't too bad. I'd recommend filling out the questionnaire in the OP (I've reproduced it below) and posting it here, as it's possible we could refine it a bit specifically for you.
My components are mainly stuff that came with an HP put together PC that I got at best buy in like 2009 so I'll try and answer that questionnaire as best I can.

- Your Current Specs: CPU AMD Phenom II X4 810 Processor 2.60 GHz and my graphics are AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series. I have 8GB RAM but idk what kind same with motherboard and PSU.
- Budget: 700-800 tops would be best I think and I live in the US.
- Main Use: Gaming and General usage would both be a 5. Don't do any video editing or emulation or things like htat.
- Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? 1080p don't plan on getting a monitor anytime soon, but id like to stick with a 1080p monitor for price.
- List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: FF14 is the main game i play so that has to run well. Civ and maybe GW2 would be good too. I don't mind 30fps. While 60 is nice its not the end all be all. Don't need any of that other stuff.
- Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't plan on reusing anything except mouse and keyboard.
- When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait? Would like to build it soon, I have a friend who can help, my old PC is frustrating me so I'd like to move on.
- Will you be overclocking?: Not now, maybe in the future tho so i guess yes?

kuYuri

That build is fine, some of the prices that I see were manually set by the creator of that parts list, so it may not be representative of the prices you would see for that build.

The CPU comes with a stock cooler. It gets the job done, but it won't necessarily be silent or the greatest performer. You can get a decent aftermarket cooler for about $35.

Enough Cores/Threads & RAM, an SSD preferably and sound-deadened case/PSU. Plus whatever audio specific hardware you need. That's pretty much it really.
so a 1080 ti? got it.
;)

nah thanks man, didn't think there would be any witchcraft involved. what about sound cards, are they still a thing that matters now?

GodofWine

Man, every time I almost actually buy a single component to my first ever build, I see something like this and then common sense kicks in and says "Can you wait 2 months to build this?", then I say "Yes"...and I know I must wait. With the full Ryzen line, the AMD 500 series, Vega looming...I do think If I can snipe a deal on RAM I will. Then I'll just stare at my RAM for months :)

The 7700K also gains some additional flexibility when decoding UHD video streams, and navigating the unfortunately necessary DRM. It's key for disks, but will also be needed for some streaming video as well.

I'm unclear regarding the benefits of the 200 series chipset and the extra general purpose PCIe lanes. I'm uncertain if you can gain these with the 6700K.

If I were starting from scratch of course I'd go with a 7700K, no question about it. Unfortunately I've already got a Z170 mobo, and apparently the BIOS that makes Gigabyte mobos compatible with Kaby is rife with problems. Don't want to have to replace both the mobo and the CPU, so I'm leaning towards 6700K.

E: Price went back down on Amazon, ordered the 6700K.

Sealtest

I haven't upgraded my PC in years besides a recent RMA I had for a video card.

I currently have a i7 2600k and a R9 380X that I'm looking at upgrading. Current budget is maybe $600-700 Canadian.
What would make the most sense to upgrade? CPU + Motherboard or a new GPU.
I game at 1080 so getting to 4K quality isn't needed. I'm not against getting an NVIDIA gpu I've just always used AMD.

So I'm thinking about getting a GSYNC monitor but should I just wait for the HDR versions later this year or will they be too expensive? My budget is around $600.

Top Bottom