• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Bboy AJ said:
Skipped every post but the OP so forgive me here or tell me to read the thread if it's been asked...

Where can I find a good GPS watch? I think something like that would tremendously help motivate me.

Anyone know of a good running shoe store around NYC? I don't want VFFs.
The garmin forerunner series is boss.

Valhalla

Banned
Buckethead said:
I don't know why but I've had 0 motivation to run for like the past 2 weeks.

Kind feeling blah about it which is weird for me.

Forcing myself to do it.

I dunno about you guys, but when running is feeling very blah to me, i try to go to a place i havent ran at in a while, or even a place i never have run at. For me though running isnt just about the exercise, i get great enjoyment from the exploring i do...but i also run through the desert and not in the city..

But yea, try changing up where you go if youre having trouble going, works for me anyways.

What do you guys use for drinking when you go running? I have a water bottle but its not really enough water..anything bigger would be too big to carry as well

TwiztidElf

I've been running for about two years now. Even though I wasn't overweight to begin with, my main motivation was to drive my weight down further, and I found I just enjoyed running a lot. Now I run at least 4 times a week, usually around 5k, but once a week, a longer 10k.

I signed up for the Gold Coast Marathon for this year, but I found I had an ITB injury with bad referred pain in my left knee, so I dropped back to the half marathon and ended up with 1hour48min which I am ecstatic about.
http://www.goldcoastmarathon.com/

My favorite distance is 10k though. My best is 46min, but I'm a lot fitter now so I'm hoping to get a better time in this years Bridge to Brisbane 10k in September.
http://www.bridgetobrisbane.com.au/

Tomorrow morning I'm doing my local 10k run in the Redcliffe Jetty to Jetty. Not pushing too hard or worrying too much about my time on this one though.
http://www.j2j.com.au/

Good Aussie running website and forum called Cool Running that I lurk at here:
http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/index.php?app=portal

Gowans

Well I got out and got soaked at the end and tired.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/16397420

It went easier than I thought, hadn't really ate all day and the bloat didn't show up.

Good tips from the couch to 5K guide (Lara) about landing on your heal and breathing, felt it helped a lot.

I think the uphill on the last two run sessions is killing me tho, I have to stop early.

Anyway a little quicker and I feel more comfortable so somethings working.

Gowans007 said:
Good tips from the couch to 5K guide (Lara) about landing on your heal and breathing, felt it helped a lot.
I wonder about this, because lately I hear new runners are told to land on the ball/pad of their feet and not the heel.

Anyway sounds like a good run, I'm much lazier as all my running is on perfectly flat ground.

Valhalla said:
What do you guys use for drinking when you go running? I have a water bottle but its not really enough water..anything bigger would be too big to carry as well

i have one of these water belts.

but i only use it on long runs when i dont know if there are water fountains on my route. when i run in central park, for example, i dont need it because i know where the water is.

Phantast2k said:
yay, I think I finally found a nice routine (cycling-running-bodyweight excercises-cycling) and was able to record it:
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/lTTRQKkquow
I guess I'm going to do that for a few weeks.
Goal: abs
Nice, hey join our club, we only have 3 people!

Link

JoeTheBlow said:
Switching to fore-foot running cured a naggling knee problem i've had for years. Certainly vastly reduces shock to the knees, i will never ever go back. Much faster too, as you return some of the energy your leaf-spring-like arch absorbs on the off-stroke.

You need strong calves though, and it takes weeks to get out of the habit of landing on your heel.
Yeah that's what I've been trying to do and you're right, it takes its toll on your calves.

Can someone recommend a good way to get podcasts besides itunes?

As dumb as it may sound the main reason I don't run as much as I would like is because I hate how heavy my ipod touch feels in my pocket and I dislike those armbands. Stupid thing is always flailing about. I have one of the old ones so I think its heavier then the newer ones

I'm planning to pick up a cheap light weight mp3 player for running and I like how easy it is to use itunes and see what new episodes are available and what I should download

I ran cross country and track in high school. I was so fit then :/

Feel a little woozy after my run today, week 3 of the podcast. I'm guessing it was the heat mostly. Also I seem to be getting a blister on my heel, probably my shoe was too loose.

=\

HamPster PamPster said:
Can someone recommend a good way to get podcasts besides itunes?

As dumb as it may sound the main reason I don't run as much as I would like is because I hate how heavy my ipod touch feels in my pocket and I dislike those armbands. Stupid thing is always flailing about. I have one of the old ones so I think its heavier then the newer ones

I'm planning to pick up a cheap light weight mp3 player for running and I like how easy it is to use itunes and see what new episodes are available and what I should download

I ran cross country and track in high school. I was so fit then :/
I imagine you can still use iTunes to download the podcasts you want, then just drill down into the iTunes library in the Finder/Explorer and grab the Mp3's you want.

Starting week four of Couch to 5K on Wednesday... right in time for a massive heatwave. =[

It's already pretty hot out. I went running at 7PM last night and it was still 87 degrees. It didn't kill me or make me feel sick or anything, but it wasn't exactly pleasant either. It is getting a bit easier though.

Still, if I can get through week four, I'll be nearly halfway done with the program!

Blanco

Neo Member
I have begun training for my first 10K. I like running, but haven't really run long distances on a regular basis. I'm naturally pretty competitive, but don't want to over train and injure myself. Is there a time I should be aiming for in my first race?

Stet

Banned
Had my first physiotherapy appointment for my ITB syndrome. She said it was one of the worst cases she's seen and then proceeded to work my leg over for the better part of what felt like three million years.

Cyan

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Feel a little woozy after my run today, week 3 of the podcast. I'm guessing it was the heat mostly.
Stay hydrated.

Jugendstil said:
Starting week four of Couch to 5K on Wednesday... right in time for a massive heatwave. =[

It's already pretty hot out. I went running at 7PM last night and it was still 87 degrees. It didn't kill me or make me feel sick or anything, but it wasn't exactly pleasant either. It is getting a bit easier though.
Stay hydrated!

ruxtpin

Banned
If I can offer my two cents... There's been some good advice in this thread.

If you're really getting in to the running, buy a few issues of Runners World and/or subscribe, or just visit their website on a frequent basis. They've got some active forums too. Also, give their SmartCoach training calculator a shot.

http://www.runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-238-591-0-0,00.html

Lets you supply a recent race/run time, what you're training for, how hard you want to train and will produce a weekly plan that you can follow. I used that for my first two marathons, and I'm using it again for my third. I was sub-3:30 on both of them, so I don't think you can really argue with the results.

Drink lots of fluids. I picked up an Amphipod palm bottle, which has helped big time. I can say from experience that not hydrating and eating enough can definitely lead to injuries or timeout.

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottles-handhelds/handhelds

If you're looking for some proper shoes, most big cities will have a dedicated running store that will - typically - watch how you run and recommend shoes based on your gait, size, foot-fall, etc. Word of advice, lots of your "cool" looking shoes with outrageous tech are probably your worst option (i.e. Nike Shox, adidas bounce - all that plastic makes for a heavier shoe and, in my experience, doesn't absorb as much impact as your traditional running shoe).

And while this thread is a great start, see if you can't find someone who runs at your pace, so you can motivate each other in person. When I started really getting into my running about 7-ish years ago, the manager where I worked was also a runner. On days I'd go to work, the first thing we'd say to each other would be our most recent 5k time or how long we'd just run. It was friendly competition and pushed each of us a little bit further.

Did a fantastic 9.5 mile run with my wife yesterday. Typically we run separately but we ran together this time albeit it still with our headphones on. Went at her pace which is a little slower than mine so didn't break any records, but it was a beautiful morning with lots of tree cover. We have a 1/2 Marathon coming up on September 5th so we'll just be increasing our long run mileage on the same route for the next several weeks and should be ready.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Starting week 3 of Couch to 5K this week, I believe it is 90 sec run, 90 sec walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute walk.

I'm preparing my mind for the inevitable jump in week 5. :p

Not really sure how well this is working as i feel I have too many off days (T, Th, Sat, Sun), but maybe that's all in my head...

Rekubot

Deadly Cyclone said:
Starting week 3 of Couch to 5K this week, I believe it is 90 sec run, 90 sec walk, 3 minute run, 3 minute walk.

I'm preparing my mind for the inevitable jump in week 5. :p

Not really sure how well this is working as i feel I have too many off days (T, Th, Sat, Sun), but maybe that's all in my head...
Sounds alright to me. The point of the podcasts being split into weeks is that you have enough time to recover. I tend to go running every other day so I have a day left over every week, which I might use up if it's raining heavily in the morning or something.

Starting week 4 on Wednesday. This morning was a pain in the ass for reasons I can't fathom. I handled 3.1 and 3.2 just fine.

I just got done with week 4, day 1 today. It was kind of brutal, especially the second 5 minute run. Still, feels good now that I'm done although my face is beet red even after a cold shower and sitting at my desk with a fan directly on me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Neuromancer said:
I just got done with week 4, day 1 today. It was kind of brutal, especially the second 5 minute run. Still, feels good now that I'm done although my face is beet red even after a cold shower and sitting at my desk with a fan directly on me.

The end of week 5 is what I am worried about, a 20 minute run. :p

AEREC

Cool thread...I just got a nice treadmill recently (Landice L7) and have started running on that about every other day this past month.

I usually get to around the 30 minute mark (keeping a constant 5mph pace) and am just ready to be done and cant go any more, though I probably could I just dont want to...this seems to be a hump I cant get past.

I think Im gonna take this week of of running and go back to cycling for a little bit (I find it a bit more enjoyable) and hopefully that will improve my cardio enough that im able to get over my mental hump.

My schedule has been slowed a bit this week due to the excessive heat and a family emergency. I finished week 4 run 2 tonight, and it wasn't as tough as the first one. I am actually sort of looking forward to the longer runs... I think it's harder to get going again after the first long walk. I'd rather just get it over with. Breaking it up sort of feels like torture.

Gowans

Been down for the last week with Man Flu, gona start back up tonight gona jump to the next week on the running podcast.

Dunno if thats a good idea or not but I've gota run that 13miles in a month and a half.
I have already accepted I'm walking atleast half of it.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I did 4.5 miles yesterday with my fiance, her pace. I felt fine at the end. I really need to man up and do a 10K.

I used my new Forerunner 305 for the first time yesterday after buying it off elrechazao here in this thread.

It worked fantastic, just need to figure out all the many features.

Headed out for my weekly long run with my wife tomorrow. 10.5 miles is what I mapped it out to on www.runningmap.com. Running another 1/2 in 5 weeks so I think I'm on track.

thefro

Neuromancer said:
Well that's week 4 over. Damn today was tough. Didn't help that it was balls hot outside.

I did Day 1 of Week 4 last night... went surprisingly well.

Plan on entering my first 5K in September.

GiJoccin

i'm loving trail running - went from barely doing 5 miles to doing 12 miles in a month. feels so effortless when i'm REALLY enjoying what i'm doing.

i was up to 13 miles or so back in november, and at my fastest pace ever. then kind of got into a rut and got stuck running 3-5 miles whenever i ran. i resolved the last month to work on my long runs, so much easier to regain shape vs getting into best shape ever.

Stet

Banned
Hey, remember when I was in the midst of physio, finally feeling good about being able to run the 10-miler in August and with a decent pace? On Saturday I was admitted to the hospital with appendicitis and after the operation on Sunday I was told no strenuous activity for 6 weeks.

Oh well.

The_Inquisitor said:
Hey guys. This used to be the nike+ thread. Would you like to combine the "nike+" portion with this?
No, because we're serious about our shoes here. So for us it's Asics or Mizuno rather than Nike :p
I don't see why not

Well Crucified, even though that does suck, it could be worse. I had an operation on a appendiceal rupture/burst apendix including an inflammation/infection in the abdominal region. Almost died from that.

Phantast2k said:
No, because we're serious about our shoes here. So for us it's Asics or Mizuno rather than Nike :p
I don't see why not

Well Crucified, even though that does suck, it could be worse. I had an operation on a appendiceal rupture/burst apendix including an inflammation/infection in the abdominal region. Almost died from that.

I don't use the old sensor style nike+. I use the Nike+ Gps app on my iPhone. The program and shoes are mutually exclusive now.

Hey, remember when I was in the midst of physio, finally feeling good about being able to run the 10-miler in August and with a decent pace? On Saturday I was admitted to the hospital with appendicitis and after the operation on Sunday I was told no strenuous activity for 6 weeks.

Oh well.

Hey man get better first. The run can come later.

My nike+ ID is pacman326 btw.

RDreamer

I run off and on. I started on my treadmill. I got it from my parents since they weren't using it. Thought I'd start walking on it while gaming. And I did that for a while (played all of Chrono Trigger DS on it). Then I started watching netflix on it, and when I did that I could actually run. From the start, I had it set to its highest setting. After a while, I was able to do about 2 to sometimes 3 miles. Sometimes I could get further than that, though my pace isn't very consistent at all when doing that. Recently since the people below me complained and since it's warm out now I've been going out to run whenever I don't have a couple hours to go shoot hoops instead. There's a nice loop out here that's just over a half mile, and I can sometimes pretty easily do about 6 or so laps of that. Pretty amazing how much further you can go on flat ground.

I'd really love to get some of those vibram things, since I always ran on the treadmill barefoot, and so transitioning back to shoes outside kind of sucked.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Now that I have my 305, is there a way to Nike+ compete with each other? Forerunners.

Crap. So I played my soccer game today. After the game I noticed my left big toe was stiff. I can walk on it normally, but when I try to bend it up, it hurts. I am currently icing it.

I have my first 5k next Saturday. I really need to run this week to prepare for it. What can I do to help it heal quicker while maintaining my last week schedule.

GiJoccin

anyone have recs for good running shorts? i have 3 pairs and can't find more of my favorite running shorts out of those 3... based on them, i like shorter and lighter shorts.

Valhalla

Banned
RDreamer said:
I'd really love to get some of those vibram things, since I always ran on the treadmill barefoot, and so transitioning back to shoes outside kind of sucked.

Vibrams are amazing for trail running, and maybe if youre a pretty light guy, on concrete as well. I cant run on sidewalks/roads with them for long, they cause pain in my feet and calves, but dirt trails i can run for ever.. You should def. check them out though, if you are interested, i love mine and im never ever going back to normal shoes for running. I want to progress to barefoot, but with glass and other things im not sure it would be smart.

Week 5 day 1 done, wasn't bad at all other than the outrageous summer heat. I've been changing my route up a little to try to stay in the shade of as many buildings as possible.

Also I bought one of these guys today, I'm looking forward to trying it out on Wednesday:

386_lg.jpg

Gowans, don't you mind running on concrete? When I do that I kinda feel the same way when I'm a room full of smokers - it doesn't kill me right way, but I know it's not good for me.
I tried the cooper-test today, but forgot to turn on endomondo from the start ;(
But from what I gather I managed to run around 2.6 km in 12min and according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_test that's "Good"...any of you ever tried that?

Gowans

Yeah it's no good for my feet and knees but to be honest some of the longer grass is a nightmare as it's really soft and takes extra work.

Either are better than the uphill on the last half of my run.

I have also decided the podcast lady is a saint with her comforting words always as I'm struggling.

It was bloody hot today tho, sweated more than ever before.

Top Bottom