• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Hindle

Banned
Are the scans out there?

The info about the monster hunting is promising. It seems like we will actually have to use detective work.

Perkel

Banned
Thanks for the link, what's the benefit of this?

No DRM copy, Fuckton of extras including full high quality artbook and OST.

And you will get to experience best DD service ever. No client, no drm, no bullshit. Full of awesome.

Oh and witcher Comix (rather good one). Who doesn't love comix ?

No DRM copy, Fuckton of extras including full high quality artbook and OST.

And you will get to experience best DD service ever. No client, no drm, no bullshit. Full of awesome.

Oh and witcher Comix (rather good one). Who don't love comix ?

Oh wow thanks. But I bought the game on Steam, did I still get a product key? Where would I find the key?

Enkidu

So basically either make the game dark souls or nothing? Sometimes people like me do love huge worlds that feel like I'm really in some huge sprawling country or land. A world that does take 30-50 minutes to travel end to end. I don't see te value in having me re-travel 60 minutes worth of fighting and area I've already conquered because I found out on a forum I missed a critical side item I should have nabbed before moving on.

I want my Just Causes, my Skyrim's. I don't see how in any way it's a hinderence to include a system that allows me to get from one side of the world to the other after I've discovered it! Discovered it being the key phrase. Be it train, time acceleration, carriage, or whatever means gets me there faster then the initial 60 minutes it took to first go from point A to B.

A well designed world will cater to all wants. And a good developer will hit those notes. If you want to constantly Travel everywhere on feet by all means do it.
I think there might be a bit of a misunderstanding between what we consider fast travel. To me, being able to catch a train or whatever to travel between large cities is not fast travel. Fast travel is the nonsense you have in Bethesda games where you can at any time appear almost anywhere on the map.

A good way to design a game without this type of fast travel is to make most quests stay locally, which does make a lot of sense since most of the time the locals probably have mainly local problems. Then you can travel quickly between cities to get around faster. Believe me though, I am not in the mood to walk for 30 minutes to get to the quest objective, but sadly that's often what happens if you simply decide not to use the fast travel systems in games that have them.

As for making the world feel small, well that's pretty much unavoidable anyway unless you go crazy and make something like Daggerfall. Skyrim never felt like it had any real sense of scale to me, it was all super compressed.

Don't hate me for asking this, but will this game have a first person mode? I find it strange to play open world games in third person, but I know the combat is pretty bananas, so...

OMG. THIS IS.

I JUST CANNOT TAKE IT.
raptorjesuscamp6rycs.gif

PRAISE BE UNTO OUR CDPR AND GERALT'S BEARD (Peace be upon it).

Perkel

Banned
I think there might be a bit of a misunderstanding between what we consider fast travel. To me, being able to catch a train or whatever to travel between large cities is not fast travel. Fast travel is the nonsense you have in Bethesda games where you can at any time appear almost anywhere on the map.

A good way to design a game without this type of fast travel is to make most quests stay locally, which does make a lot of sense since most of the time the locals probably have mainly local problems. Then you can travel quickly between cities to get around faster. Believe me though, I am not in the mood to walk for 30 minutes to get to the quest objective, but sadly that's often what happens if you simply decide not to use the fast travel systems in games that have them.

As for making the world feel small, well that's pretty much unavoidable anyway unless you go crazy and make something like Daggerfall. Skyrim never felt like it had any real sense of scale to me, it was all super compressed.

So much this. Fast travel once was feature which had meaning like in Morrowind. You paid fo carriage or boat and you could go to other city. It was also immersive. Same thing with GTA4 taxi service.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
By end of Witcher 2 all memories of Geralt were restored. So it was just confirmation to people who didn't play TW2.

Oh they could have easily justified doing amnesia AGAIN.

Maybe Geralt can actually develop a character now. So shallow compared to Roche or Letho. I'm hoping Trish isn't a huge focus in this one. She really needs to give the White Wolf his space.

Wiseblood

I'm trying to subscribe to the digital Game Informer. It sent me to the Gamestop site so I went and purchased it. Now what? I definitely ordered a digital subscription, how do I access it?

I'm trying to subscribe to the digital Game Informer. It sent me to the Gamestop site so I went and purchased it. Now what? I definitely ordered a digital subscription, how do I access it?
Wait for an email confirming you are a GI subscriber.
Then go to www.gameinformer.com , log in and you'll have access to digital Game Informer but I don' think the current issue is up yet.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
In an ideal world this will have a completely different combat system so I can actually play it without wanting to kill myself!

eXistor

If this pans out Bethesda really has to step up their game or they will look foolish compared to this.
They're already way behind the curve. If it takes a shit-ton of mods to make your game into an actual rpg, you've already failed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In an ideal world this will have a completely different combat system so I can actually play it without wanting to kill myself!

You should get better at games then. Witcher 2's combat is fine if you don't think you're Batman and can get in the middle of 5 guys at once.

Xater

They already do. Witcher 2 blows every wrpg out of the water in recent memory. Witcher 3 further cements CDPR's status.

They're already way behind the curve. If it takes a shit-ton of mods to make your game into an actual rpg, you've already failed.

Oh I know Witcher 2 is a better game but I meant in regards to the open world. One of the biggest complains I have with Bethesda games (besides combat) is the lack of feedback from the world to your actions. If Witcher 3 can bring their world changing quests to an open world and Bethesda can't....

Nibel

It's a pretty good combat system, but Witcher 2 fails at providing good tutorials for it. I remember replaying the first fight against Letho over and over again - I understood the mechanics better and better each time until I finally beat him.

So yeah, it's hard to get used to, but when you know how to fight it's pretty good

Binabik15

I can't see anything about STANCES in the OP. Is that in the sword fighting tree? They were awesome. And I hope Geralt still pulls of a Mordhau every now and then to finish stunned enemies.

Monster hunter gonna monster hunt, I like it. I really HOPE that lots of the twisted fairy tale stuff from the lore is in, like hedgehog knight, beauty and beasts rip-off, werewolf vigilante, that kind of thing. TW2 was a bit too serious or how you'd like to call it in regards to the freakish things running around in Geralt's world.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It's a pretty good combat system, but Witcher 2 fails at providing good tutorials for it. I remember replaying the first fight against Letho over and over again - I understood the mechanics better and better each time until I finally beat him.

So yeah, it's hard to get used to, but when you know how to fight it's pretty good

Unfortunately I was playing Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls at the same time when this came out, both exceptional combat systems. When Witcher 2 frustrated more than impressed, I just ditched it in favour of continuing to have fun. Which is a shame because I adore the presentation, story, everything else about Witcher 2. Just didn't feel like very "fun" gameplay.

Sentenza

There's a hilarious thread there where some dude says the game should support Windows XP and let you become a farmer.

Fucking official forums man.
Yeah, generally speaking there is an embarrassing amount of terrible opinions on that forum.
People who ask "more cutscenes, easier combat, I play for the story" and so on.

There was also a lot of complaints for the lack of fast travel in TW2, which I find hilarious, as the game's maps were already incredibly tiny.

anddo0

Can't wait. Should be epic! My 7970 should be sufficient.

I wonder how they'll handle the PS4 version story wise.

It might be too early but the graphics are really disappointing from what I've seen so far, doesn't look like a next gen game at all.

Sentenza

It might be too early but the graphics are really disappointing from what I've seen so far, doesn't look like a next gen game at all.
Beside the fact that they already claimed those renders to be placeholder, I think many of you have probably delusional expectations about how "next gen" will look like, especially at its start.

Yeah, generally speaking there is an embarrassing amount of terrible opinions on that forum.

There was also a lot of complaints for the lack of fast travel in TW2, which I find hilarious, as the game's maps were already incredibly tiny.

I honestly would have just liked a more detailed map. It sucked getting lost in the floatsom swamps over and over again while doing side quests.

FACE

Banned

Well, at least it ain't bioware social.

I'm okay with fast travel as long as it isn't of the "click on this icon and warp there" variant.

angelfly

The Witcher 2 was one of my favorite games this generation so this news really has me hyped. Hopefully by the time this comes I have a decent gaming and won't have to wait for the console port like I did with the previous one.

Nibel

Unfortunately I was playing Dragon's Dogma and Dark Souls at the same time when this came out, both exceptional combat systems. When Witcher 2 frustrated more than impressed, I just ditched it in favour of continuing to have fun. Which is a shame because I adore the presentation, story, everything else about Witcher 2. Just didn't feel like very "fun" gameplay.

Okay, coming from Dragon's Dogma I can see what's your problem is with W2's combat system. DD and DS - especially DD - have better combat systems than W2; it's probably weird to go from something like DD to W2. But since you liked almost every other aspect of the game, you should give it another try; watch some videos of other people playing and learn something, try to get back into it if you have nothing else to play; it really has some great moments.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

Who the hell wanted fast travel in TW 2? That's the dumbest thing i'veheard all day. I don't generally use fast travel anyway so this addition does nothing for me.

Hargenx

I have nothing against well made fast travel, like Silt Striders or the mages guild in Morrowind, or even Crystals Portal like in Dragon Dogma, is even good for the imersion we have ways in a magical world to fast travel between some places.

Trish used it in The Witcher 2(in a short way without help passage from out side direct to her room, and from a far distance using crystals to help), so is very possible and very much acceptable some kind of "short and long Portal", and carriage as fast travel.

Top Bottom