• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of Don't Use Imgur

DieH@rd

Banned
DARKSIDERS with forced MLAA from Catalyst

darksiderspcoep3r.png

Smidget

I hear ya. It would be nice if people would post their settings along with their screens, like if they're using an FXAA/SMAA injector, mods, ini/autoexec tweaks etc. That way the thread could be educational as well as good looking.

+1 for me as well. That'd be great, just getting into PC gaming and running everything vanilla is not looking as nice as some of these and I know my computer can probably handle it (i5-2500K, 16GB RAM, 6870....)

Blutonium

Does anyone know a small freeware screencap program that doesn't ignore my Nvidia Hue/saturation settings?

Fraps ignores this, which makes BF3 screenshots look pale (since BF3 has a desaturation filter).

scitek

I hear ya. It would be nice if people would post their settings along with their screens, like if they're using an FXAA/SMAA injector, mods, ini/autoexec tweaks etc. That way the thread could be educational as well as good looking.

How about you just ask if there's something you'd like to know? Some games I modded so long ago, I honestly don't remember what all I used, and others have so many things done it'd be a pain in the ass to list everything each time I post.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why is it that people blindly question the Imgur rule? Are they not reading the OP in which at least 3 significantly superior and just as easy to use image hosts are listed? It doesn't matter if you can't tell the difference, other people can. I'd like there to be at least some base-line standards in this thread so it doesn't devolve into a bunch of apes throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

I'll throw up a guide on IQ sortly.

Best place to see it is on the bricks, but the overall image suffers a little.
Ahh, thanks. Knew there had to be something somewhere but I'm usually awful at seeing that sort of thing unless it's really horrible compression.

Why is it that people blindly question the Imgur rule? Are they not reading the OP in which at least 3 significantly superior and just as easy to use image hosts are listed? It doesn't matter if you can't tell the difference, other people can.
I wasn't questioning the rule, simply trying to see what the difference was.

VanWinkle

Do you guys use controllers when playing games like Sonic: Generations or racing games like Dirt 3? If so, what do you use? The 360/PC wired controller?

legacyzero

Banned
Why is it that people blindly question the Imgur rule? Are they not reading the OP in which at least 3 significantly superior and just as easy to use image hosts are listed? It doesn't matter if you can't tell the difference, other people can. I'd like there to be at least some base-line standards in this thread so it doesn't devolve into a bunch of apes throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

I'll throw up a guide on IQ sortly.
I dont know how they couldn't see the difference. Maybe we should do a big gif image of the two switching between something like Abload to Imgur.
They compress everything AFAIK unless you have a Pro account.

Also it would be nice to have AA and Downsampling guides in the OP to achieve insane IQ.
THIS.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Alright, I threw in a guides section to the OP and linked to my NV Inspector guide I made a while back. If anyone wants to put together something similar for Radeon Pro, that would be great.

Kyaw

I dont know how they couldn't see the difference. Maybe we should do a big gif image of the two switching between something like Abload to Imgur.

Here you go:

Imgur: http://i.imgur.com/j1ZeN.jpg
Abloade: http://www.abload.de/img/mirrorsedge2011-08-13a5wob.png

I was gonna make a GIF but there's too much dithering to see a noticeable difference.

Look at the catwalks and general sharp edges. Also the text on the pipeline.

imgurvsabloade091pk.png

Anyone know how to force AA in Unity Engine games? I've got Rochard which needs a nice SGSSAA on it to make it look Pixar-like.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I had trouble forcing any kind of AA on Rochard, it seemed rather finicky. I couldn't find any Unity engine comps either :(

I love the framing in that ME-109 shot up there Watevaman.

Blizzard

Banned
This is a most blantant personal attack!
No, I think it's a reasonable request...

Another thread, another year of bitching from myself at the impossible magic IQ everyone achieves in their screenshots that I cannot, for the life of me, attain.
...and stuff like this is why. Some shots may actually be really amazing due to third-party utilities or graphics card tweaks, and others may be resized in photoshop or whatnot to give artificially enhanced image quality. So I think it's reasonable to ask that people indicate in their posts if they're resizing after the fact to make things look better. Just my opinion, but I see no rule about it so perhaps I am in the minority. :p

I think I'm going blind, I can't really see a difference between those two.
It was hard for me to tell as well, with the images fully expanded switching back and forth in two tabs. Try looking at the colors in the chimneys near the top left though, and the solid color on the front of the top right chimney. It's a little grainy on the JPG one.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can't we post more than 2 shots if they are thumbnails? I thought the post limit was because of file size.

I don't think it's that big of a deal, but generally thumbnails should be around this size:

You can use abload to make thumbnails like that, just be sure to change the URL of the thumbnail to the direct link of the image, otherwise it'll bring you to an Abload page with a buttload of pop up ads.

I'd recommend that you post your shots without any downscaling or thumbnailing, just break them up in two per post.

Anyways, I like the pic I thumbnailed, might as well post full size.

Bloodlines:

tpicpflaq.jpg

burgerdog

What are some games with crazy graphics coming out this year? 2011 had quite a few and I can't think of any in 2012.

-SD-

Banned
2012screenshotthreadtzrvzy.png

• Fraps: DON'T TAKE JPEGS WITH THIS. The free version takes .bmps/.pngs and those should be the initial format you take screens in as it is lossless.
  • Irfanview/Photoshop: Use one of these to convert to jpeg at 100% quality, crop out black bars or resize pictures.
  • Nvidia Inspector: Program for Nvidia cards for fine tweaking AA/AF and other graphical settings for games.
  • Radeon Pro: Program for ATI cards for fine tweaking AA/AF and other graphical settings for games.
How about adding AA injectors into the list?

Here's one for SMAA: http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

Red

Can't we post more than 2 shots if they are thumbnails? I thought the post limit was because of file size.
Those must be big thumbnails. Viewed on my phone they are the same size as all the other pics.

I see them now on my PC, and I understand what you were doing but it's unusual to see posts in this thread using that kind of method.

Some Batman shots from the last thread:

Dennis

Banned
I can't believe GAF didn't tell me how great MW3 looks.

Sure, technically it may not be anything special, but.....the super clean graphics are really doing it for me.

Gameplaywise its also a surprise:

MW3 > MW2 > CODBLOPS > MW

This game is great!

Blizzard

Banned
Okay this is the last thing I'm going to say/ask about this if no one else cares -- Dennis, the MW3 shots look nice, but are you resizing them externally for cleaner image quality or is your monitor 1680x1050 native? Is there a trick to getting better image quality at 1680x1050 native?

I'm sorry I'm not posting screenshots of my own but I haven't had Steam access for about a week and I haven't started new games for the new year much.

Top Bottom