• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread 2: Can't take anymore of this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wii U might be getting Timesplitters 4, Overstrike, and a new Dead Space according to an article on that Nintendo site that begins with a G that is banned on this site and can't be mentioned.

Here's original article: http://game0n.net/2012/02/25/dead-space-overstrike-timesplitters-4/

I finally read this and here is what stuck out too me.

I’m hearing that there is over 150-200 Wii U games currently in development.

Nintendo in disarray confirmed. Even if the number is half of that, that's still a good start IMO.

Yeah, that's a HUGE number of launch titles. IIRC, Nintendo had 30-40 games for the Wii's launch?

Well they definitely won't all be launch window titles, but that could definitely sustain the first two or three years of it's life if most of them come out.

Edit: What Ace and Oddduck said.

Instro

Wii U might be getting Timesplitters 4, Overstrike, and a new Dead Space according to an article on that Nintendo site that begins with a G that is banned on this site and can't be mentioned.

Here's original article: http://game0n.net/2012/02/25/dead-space-overstrike-timesplitters-4/

It all sounds pretty plausible. It will be interesting to see just how buddy buddy Nintendo and EA have become. Same with regards to the "partnerships" and so on.

The amount of software in development is something that caught my eye. Although much of that would probably be ports. It's not completely mind blowing though, the 3DS was announced with "over 100" titles in development.

D_prOdigy

I can't help but thinking we'd have heard more leaks if that many Wii U games were at the very least in the planning stages.

On the other hand, Nintendo did a sterling job of keeping quite literally every 3DS game under wraps until the E3 2010 blowout.

Although, back to the first hand, you get the impression western publishers and developers wouldn't care so much about leaking their handheld titles.

Nibel

150-200 launch titles.. I love games but that number would even scare me, lol.

Just give us 2-3 good and one really good launch title and I'm a happy Gaffer.

Conor 419

Banned
150-200 Wii U games 'currently in development' doesn't mean there'll be 150-200 launch titles.

Come on guys, think about it, that'd be absolutely insane.

Sadist

Dead Space wouldn't surprise me. Wasn't there a joblisting floating around a little while ago about working on the new Dead Space game, which would release on several platforms including one unannounced platform?

D_prOdigy

Dead Space wouldn't surprise me. Wasn't there a joblisting floating around a little while ago about working on the new Dead Space game, which would release on several platforms including one unannounced platform?

Yes.

I can't get the thought of Timesplitters 4 Wii U out of my head. It feels so... right.

I wonder if the Haze fiasco Ubisoft suffered has put EA off the idea of essentially loaning Crytek UK out to one platform again. They do seem to be doing the safe old boring route of making multiplat Homefront 2 and nothing else right now.

Maybe an offer of some hands-on assistance from Nintendo would change that...

Oh god, what crazy fanboy babble am I spurting?

Yes.

I can't get the thought of Timesplitters 4 Wii U out of my head. It feels so... right.

I wonder if the Haze fiasco Ubisoft suffered has put EA off the idea of essentially loaning Crytek UK out to one platform again. They do seem to be doing the safe old boring route of making multiplat Homefront 2 and nothing else right now.

Maybe an offer of some hands-on assistance from Nintendo would change that...

Oh god, what crazy fanboy babble am I spurting?

I've said it since before E3.
Nintendo securing TS4 as an exclusive would be such a perfect fit for them.
It's light hearted, it's got good multiplayer and it's part of a dead franchise that still has a good following.
Seriou

Nibel

If Pikmin 3 is a launch title, then I will explode.

I just looked through some old Wii U / Project Café threads.. damn, we made such a small progress.. it's incredible. Something interesting I found is this (old news, I know):

Miyamoto is working on Pikmin 3 - but he also stated

Also, I'm still full of energy. Recently, I've been doing a lot of things -- continuing to work hard at swimming, for instance, and also having exchanges with school kids, doing such things a serving on a neighborhood youth guidance committee. I think that next year I can probably deliver something new. I'm still active on the development scene, so please look forward to [my output]. It's been nearly 10 years since I made the Pikmin character, so I feel this is the year where I must at long last make a new character. This is as far as I'll answer today.

Could there be a different launch flagship title than Pikmin 3? A new IP tailored for the new controller? He never mentioned this project again since the investor Q&A. Maybe I'm interpreting too much into it, but I would love to see what good old Shiggy is capable of in today's crazy world.

What baffles me even more is that 01.net was right with most Nintendo rumors. I could swear Nintendo sent a troop of the best assassins they have after those leaks. They even were right with the controller design!

Wolfie5

That's not good. I need to change back then.

Yeah, your blue avatar was better.

150-200 games in development for Wii U?? Why aren´t there any leaks yet?
Nintendo hired more Ninjas?

[*]The sixth and seemingly final development kit saw a large and considerable increase in power, following requests from developers. This apparently meant a more capable GPU revision/tweak and a greater amount of RAM.
[/list]

Didn´t someone say some pages ago that a new dev kit was on it´s way, which would be the final one? Or is this the sixth one?

^ Me, then an article, then wsippel (with a little more info). Talked about it as early as last month. And I'll try the other two I have before maybe going back to blue.

Something else from the article although the writer does say take it with a grain of salt.

My friend told me that when Electronic Arts received the first and second versions of Wii U development kits, Nintendo wasn’t sure how powerful the console was going to be. All they cared about at that point was making a console that was easy to port 360/PS3 games. They had to keep the dev kits at 360/PS3 level in the beginning because it’s easy to start low on specs and go up in power, but it’s impossible to create a super powerful development kit and then downgrade it in power. I hear that the 5th and 6th versions of this development kit are pretty powerful, and Frostbite 2 has been seen running on the Wii U with very smooth results and a higher frame rate than the 360 version of Battlefield 3, that are superior to any PS3/360 game running Frostbite 2.

Sounds like normal development with hardware that we've talked about.

Hiltz

Could there be a different launch flagship title than Pikmin 3? A new IP tailored for the new controller? He never mentioned this project again since the investor Q&A. Maybe I'm interpreting too much into it, but I would love to see what good old Shiggy is capable of in today's crazy world.

What baffles me even more is that 01.net was right with most Nintendo rumors. I could swear Nintendo sent a troop of the best assassins they have after those leaks. They even were right with the controller design!

Miyamoto gave that statement back in 2010, right? According to Aonuma, he got involved in the Wii U project/Zelda tech demo roughly 2 years ago. Miyamoto must have been planning to make this original IP concept for the Wii U in mind. Although, it's anyone's guess if it will be released as a launch title.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
^ Me, then an article, then wsippel (with a little more info). Talked about it as early as last month. And I'll try the other two I have before maybe going back to blue.

Something else from the article although the writer does say take it with a grain of salt.

so the one that we talked about in early january (that had supposedly reached developers a few weeks prior to that) wasn't the final but the fifth iteration of dev kits?

When someone speaks generically about 200 games in development - that's quite a bunch at any rate - I think we should take into account many of them will be WiiWare only, and some will remain waporware, so I would realistically lower that 200 by half will make it to release as actual retail games to keep on the safe side.

Oddduck

When someone speaks generically about 200 games in development - that's quite a bunch at any rate - I think we should take into account many of them will be WiiWare only, and some will remain waporwarw, so I would realistically lower that 200 by half will make it to release as actual retail games to keep on the safe side.

Good point. A lot of those games could be Wiiware type games.

Although the 150-200 number doesn't seem too far fetched considering how easy a company can just port a bunch of 360/PS3 games over instead of making brand new Wii U games from scratch.

so the one that we talked about in early january (that had supposedly reached developers a few weeks prior to that) wasn't the final but the fifth iteration of dev kits?

Probably. My guess was that those were either final or near final, so as we get more info the latter seems to be more accurate.

royalan

Miyamoto gave that statement back in 2010, right? According to Aonuma, he got involved in the Wii U project/Zelda tech demo roughly 2 years ago. Miyamoto must have been planning to make this original IP concept for the Wii U in mind. Although, it's anyone's guess if it will be released as a launch title.

Probably not a launch title, but I wouldn't rule out launch window. I mean, Pikmin 3 has been in some form of development for the last 3 years; it can't possibly need that much more work.

But I definitely see Miyamoto launching a new mascot this gen, symbolic of their transition to HD. Maybe it'll be their take on a dudebro space marine...nah

onilink88

I've just caught up to about thirty~forty pages worth of discussion, and I've noticed that DCKing's been gone for a pretty long time now. Did he get banned or something? D:

Azure J

I'm beginning to wonder more and more if next gen is going to be more of a re-adjustment generation than a straight balls out "MOAR" generation the more I look at how things are shaping up with the big three's console directions, rumors and hints. Does anyone else feel like while we're going to get impressive stuff, we aren't going to see huge leaps like xbox/ps2 - 360/PS3 just because that jump in and of itself was a huge departure from normal?

Shiggy

Original design vs. E3 design:

1hwxx0.jpg
1azozb6.jpg

6qqyi9.jpg
6appa68.jpg

2yelan.jpg
2a2wl4m.jpg

3lylor.jpg
3apgl5u.jpg

4cmz9s.jpg
4apsynu.jpg

5jxyl3.jpg
5aq4bi2.jpg

royalan

1hwxx0.jpg

Wait...so the controller originally had proper analog sticks???

EDIT: Oops, read that incorrectly.

Anyway, that plus the right analog stick being to the upper-right of the buttons instead of directly above make this a much, much better design.

I'm beginning to wonder more and more if next gen is going to be more of a re-adjustment generation than a straight balls out "MOAR" generation the more I look at how things are shaping up with the big three's console directions, rumors and hints. Does anyone else feel like while we're going to get impressive stuff, we aren't going to see huge leaps like xbox/ps2 - 360/PS3 just because that jump in and of itself was a huge departure from normal?

I can see something like that. Especially with 1080p being the current "max" target. They aren't shooting for high res like PC.

Look what you've done.

It seems like there are several sources now that are saying that the latest kits has a boost in power. Nintendo not knowing how powerful the Wii U during the earlier kits, and them being similar to 360 hardware also does make sense considering the leaks and info we have gathered.

Wolfie5

People like there jobs. That is the excuse I use :p

I just think it is getting a lot easier to track down the people starting leaks.

And yet, when things get closer to E3, every year, we pretty much know what Microsoft and especially Sony will show. There are leaks, but when it comes to Nintendo, the leaks are almost non-existent. Microsoft have somewhat improved on containing the leaks, but not as good as Nintendo.

I can get no 1st party stuff, but you would expect something from third party... come to think about it, we did get good rumors(that seemed credible) last year that Nintendo would be releasing a new console, before Wii U was revealed.

I don´t know. Maybe the rumors/leaks will increase as we get closer to E3. Maybe it´s starting now, I mean, that Timesplitters and Dead Space rumor was interesting and I could see that beeing true in the end.

Bring on the rumors/leaks! :)

I've just caught to about thirty~forty pages worth of discussion, and I've noticed that DCKing's been gone for a pretty long time now. Did he get banned or something? D:

He got close to guessing the specs, so the ninjas took him out.

And hm, those design comparisons are interesting. Notable differences are the stand-out analogue sticks and the handle like grips on each side of the controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom