• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 7 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commodore

Just curious, after using the OS for about a year now, I've come to use a few select apps/functions damn near everyday. Just wondering what apps have earned your home screen/everyday use.

For me it's:

4h4y1.jpg

Me tile. One of my favorite unique UI elements of the OS. In terms of the interface hub concept, the Me tile works beautifully, I don't need a ton of different apps using background tasks alerting me when someone has retweeted me or commented on a status update, using battery life, plus I don't have to go in and out of different apps to interact with my social network, I go to one place, and I can post to multiple networks at once in a few seconds.

yOcFc.png

WeatherLive

After going through the Weather Channel, Weather Bug, Amazing Weather, plus a bunch of others that were obviously forgettable, I settled on WeatherLive because their live tile implementation is about perfect. Of the certain types of apps available, I think weather apps are one of the better implementations of live tiles and they are usually what I show anyone asking how live tiles work. I like WeatherLive because I can set my tile to update at my chosen interval and to display the exact time it updated. Works great.

SLHy0.png

Baconit

If I ever complain about battery life, its usually this app's fault (or secondapps.com/neogaf). If you use Reddit, this is easily the best app we've got on Marketplace. The interface is clean, highly functional, and the dev is constantly adding features.

HzcsP.png

Carbon

I've been through a ton of twitter apps. Beezz, Birdsong, rowi, mehdoh, ect. Carbon wins for me right now on a nice combination of fantastic design and easy of use. Mehdoh has a nice menu slide feature that loads a link in a tweet in app, but Carbon does it inside the timeline, skipping a step, plus adds twitlonger automatically, thought it was a nice touch. Carbon does a bunch of things in the design that skips taps to drill down to content and just presents it. I'll have to see what the developer does with mehdoh 2.0, but right now Carbon edges it out.

oYKNo.png

MagikMail

Frankly I miss visual voice mail coming from iOS. I hate calling voice mail and having to wait for the stupid robot lady. AT&T is lame for not getting visual voicemail, among other things out so I use this app. It fills the need and does it fairly well. It's slightly hard to set up, you have to forward your number using YouMail's service, but once you do, you're gold. Plus it uses a "Smart Greeting" option that freaks people out when it uses their name when asking to leave a voice mail. They always ask how I did it.

EsgXu.png

Weave

I settled on Weave for my daily newsreader. Great design, you can customize and tailor all your news sources, and categories with RSS feeds. The design doesn't really get in the way of just quickly and easily being able to read articles like Fuse does. Plus the mobile option works great for the sites that support the full article in the RSS, so I don't have to load the article in the in app browser and just click a headline and read. Works great.

In terms of games I use near everyday, the type that fit the mobile, use for a few minutes type of games, I still think Wordament is one of best we have that's exclusive and unique. Don't game too much on my phone everyday though.

I use... im going to bold what I use on a daily basis.

Allrecipes
Amazon Mobile
Craigslist A+
DrawPad
Ebay
Engadget
ESPN SportsCenter
Fandango
Facebook
Groupon
iHeartRadio(I dont like it as much)
IMDb
Netflix
Online Education
OpenTable
Organic Chemistry
TuneIn Radio (best radio app period)
The Onion 7
Weave
Weather

Wooter
WikiPanda

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Just curious, after using the OS for about a year now, I've come to use a few select apps/functions damn near everyday. Just wondering what apps have earned your home screen/everyday use.

I use most of those apps as well. Add to that on my start screen:

BBC Mobile (one of the best live tiles)
Flixster
Fuse
Prime TV (very nice metro style app and live tile).
WP Central
Xbox Companion
Sports Now
Tile for my Wife
Group Tile for close friends

Edit: Also Word By Post

Commodore

I use... im going to bold what I use on a daily basis.
ESPN SportsCenter

I don't know how ESPN hasn't capitalized on getting an option to put a game up on a live tile. I thought for sure, once the app hit, a live tile update was down the chute. App will be magnitudes better once they finally get a live up and going.

@SCHUEY F1

I think of the all around go to movie apps, IMDB wins. I used to use Flixster on iOS and began to use Flickster on WP7, but I ultimately went with IMDB. As a reference it wins, plus has showtimes/news/photos, plus a nice design.

Of the scrabble clones, Words by Post wins for me too. Love the cross platform functionality. Damn the cheaters!

Need to check out BBC's app, never looked at it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how ESPN hasn't capitalized on getting an option to put a game up on a live tile. I thought for sure, once the app hit, a live tile update was down the chute. App will be magnitudes better once they finally get a live up and going.

@SCHUEY F1

I think of the all around go to movie apps, IMDB wins. I used to use Flixster on iOS and began to use Flickster on WP7, but I ultimately went with IMDB. As a reference it wins, plus has showtimes/news/photos, plus a nice design.

Of the scrabble clones, Words by Post wins for me too. Love the cross platform functionality. Damn the cheaters!

Need to check out BBC's app, never looked at it.

I like IMDB too, but Flickster works better for showtimes where I live.

Troll

Banned

I don't really see the non-Nokia ESPN app getting too much love. If we do get any of those features it will probably be on the Nokia version.

ElNino

My Live tile/daily apps are:

WeatherMaster - I love that the GPS live tile will follow me into work and back.
Weave - I've tried quite a few news apps but Weave has become my favorite by far. It's fast and does a great job displaying articles.
Carbon - I used Birdsong for a long time, then recently switched to Mehdoh but Carbon is my Twitter app of choice now.
4th and Mayor - Simple Foursquare app
ESPN - A Live tile would be nice, but it's still the best sports app for me.
Prime TV - Terrific TV show tracking app with good Live tile for what's coming on next/today.
Alpha Jax - My Scrabble-like game of choice... I prefer the interface over the other apps and don't have friends using them on other platforms so cross-platform is useless to me.
Comica - Good app for Dilbert and other comic strips.
MyStocks Portfolio - Live tile (even in free version) for my employers stock price.
Parcel Tracker - Shipping tracker with Live tile support/notifications for status changes.

Those are my most used apps, but I have others that get semi-regular use as well. I also have my wife's tile pinned to the home screen for easy access to her contact info.

Commodore

Those are my most used apps, but I have others that get semi-regular use as well. I also have my wife's tile pinned to the home screen for easy access to her contact info.

Ditto. Plus it's always nice to be able to see her updates to things throughout the day. CHEESE ALERT: I've always wanted to take a side headshot of me and then one of her and place them next to each other. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. I was ridiculed the rest of the day for mentioning it to her.

Troll

Banned
Ditto. Plus it's always nice to be able to see her updates to things throughout the day. CHEESE ALERT: I've always wanted to take a side headshot of me and then one of her and place them next to each other. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. I was ridiculed the rest of the day for mentioning it to her.

Funny, I actually did that for a little bit.

Firestorm

what did you pick up? Why did you choose windows phone?
I've been saying I'll get a Windows Phone since around February 2010 XD It's just that I stuck with BlackBerry during my time at RIM and then kept going with it waiting for a Lumia... but my BB crapped out on me so I picked up a used Focus (no charger or anything) for $80 off Craigslist just now.

Ok, so big problem: I cleaned out my Windows Live Contacts then imported contacts into it, but they don't seem to all be on my phone... I have the filter set to show my Live Contacts but not Facebook or LinkedIn.

Magni

Looks like I'll be able to join the club before an OT2 after all!

Posted from my Windows Phone

Congrats!

I was amazed when I first realized you didn't have one (it took me a long time to figure out despite semi-regularly following this thread since the OP).

Milly79

Anyway to force Twitter profile pics to update? I have some pinned and they're completely off from what mehdoh is showing. Facebook doesn't have that problem.

Saw a customer at work today with an iPhone4 (or 4s) and i realized it was running Metro UI. Not sure if it was an app or an emulator. Thought it was hilarious though.

Firestorm

Ok so I figured that issue out. It's because I added my Facebook and LinkedIn to Live before importing my contacts. Since I deleted anyone I hadn't IMed on MSN in the last 6 months, they didn't have Windows Live profiles listed. So I removed both Facebook and LinkedIn, re-imported, then re-added Facebook and LinkedIn. Now they're all in my phone.

Only issue is everyone with a LinkedIn profile now has two LinkedIn profiles x.x Not a huge deal but I'm sort of OCD about this sort of stuff. Anyone know how to remove one so it doesn't list LinkedIn twice on their linked accounts?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so I figured that issue out. It's because I added my Facebook and LinkedIn to Live before importing my contacts. Since I deleted anyone I hadn't IMed on MSN in the last 6 months, they didn't have Windows Live profiles listed. So I removed both Facebook and LinkedIn, re-imported, then re-added Facebook and LinkedIn. Now they're all in my phone.

Only issue is everyone with a LinkedIn profile now has two LinkedIn profiles x.x Not a huge deal but I'm sort of OCD about this sort of stuff. Anyone know how to remove one so it doesn't list LinkedIn twice on their linked accounts?

Not sure about the LinkedIn issue, but I wanted to remind you to make sure (if you haven't already) that you search region is United States so you can get Local Scout.

Woffls

Same thing happened to me right after updating it to the latest version. And from my findings, 3G seems to be the culprit. I am sticking with 2G till they fix this shite of a firmware.
I will switch down to 2G for the weekend and see how it goes. If it's fixable with firmware, then I might hang onto it. I will ask how much I can get a Galaxy S2 for, just in case it's tempting enough.

Swap it for another Lumia again. Chalk it up to bad luck, since there is absolutely no way that problem is universal for all lumia 800's.
3rd handset, straight from the Vodafone store, still doing the same thing.

Any near future device with more than 16GB storage? I know Windows 8 phones will have a sdcard slot, but I am thinking in getting a new phone in April/May (maybe the Lumia 900). The problem is that yesterday I finally reached my HD7 storage limit (and freak out for a moment, the phone simple started to behavior bad when my space was limited, until I cleaned up a few space it simple did not start any app/reset itself several times).

Nero3000

This is going to sound really obvious but thought i would post it here.

I used to have so many small different issues with my phone which was not handset specific, e.g. unreliable notifications, unreliable live tiles, sometimes facebook chat doesn't work etc.

Now i used to keep my phone clock 5 minutes purposefully ahead, but recently put it back to accurate time do to an app recommending it and all those problems have seem to have disappeared.

So the actual time of the clock vs. the servers makes a massive difference.

hwalker84

Any near future device with more than 16GB storage? I know Windows 8 phones will have a sdcard slot, but I am thinking in getting a new phone in April/May (maybe the Lumia 900). The problem is that yesterday I finally reached my HD7 storage limit (and freak out for a moment, the phone simple started to behavior bad when my space was limited, until I cleaned up a few space it simple did not start any app/reset itself several times).

Not that I'm aware of. The only Gen 2 device with 32GB is that Fujitsu.

We still don't know what Samsung has up their sleeve for a LTE phone.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
they do some good things by removing the live brand and then go do something like that.... just leave it microsoft account and be done with it..... they just keep overthinking things.

It's so awkward to say "go to your Microsoft your account"

did nobody just say it out loud before finalizing it? c'mon

Question about Carbon, since it doesn't have a free trial. When you update does it remember your last read tweet or does it start with the most recent tweet? Thanks

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like my data isn't working right on my Titan. More and more frequently it seems like it's just not connecting right. Web pages won't load, either it turns up a "This page cannot be displayed" error or I just get a big white screen I can scroll around on but not see anything. Nothing else data related seems to work either.

A couple weeks ago it started happening sporadically, but now it's pretty regular. Sometimes I can reset the phone and it starts working, but since it doesn't work every time I wonder if that's just coincidence. Turning data off and back on doesn't do anything to solve the problem.

So yeah, anybody know what's up with that? Is my phone about to need replaced?

Edit: Looks like it might be the sim card? That would be better than replacing the phone.

frontieruk

Seems like my data isn't working right on my Titan. More and more frequently it seems like it's just not connecting right. Web pages won't load, either it turns up a "This page cannot be displayed" error or I just get a big white screen I can scroll around on but not see anything. Nothing else data related seems to work either.

A couple weeks ago it started happening sporadically, but now it's pretty regular. Sometimes I can reset the phone and it starts working, but since it doesn't work every time I wonder if that's just coincidence. Turning data off and back on doesn't do anything to solve the problem.

So yeah, anybody know what's up with that? Is my phone about to need replaced?

Edit: Looks like it might be the sim card? That would be better than replacing the phone.

is wifi on when thats happening?

Azih

So how is the HTC Rader 4g as a phone? I've been keeping an eye on WP7 phones in Canada for a little while now and this one just popped up on Wind Mobile. Is it Dated? Should I wait a little while for newer phones? What's the word?

So how is the HTC Rader 4g as a phone? I've been keeping an eye on WP7 phones in Canada for a little while now and this one just popped up on Wind Mobile. Is it Dated? Should I wait a little while for newer phones? What's the word?

I dont know about the radar, but i personally am not fond of the recent products of htc. next week is that mobile word congress thing, i would at least wait and see if something is announced there

Milly79

I enjoy mine, however 8gb is pretty small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom