• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

How do they not know that a guest is still out in the park and one of the machines is missing? The park seems too well managed for them not to realize

Sean C

When the notes of "Paint It Black" started manifesting in the score, for a bit there I was trying to figure out if I was hearing it properly, but then it became unmistakable.

This isn't exactly a novel premise (even if it weren't a remake), but so far it looks interesting. Looks to be a real showcase part for Evan Rachel Wood going forward, as her character starts down the path of developing an independent personality.

And Anthony Hopkins actually looked invested in the proceedings. I'm not sure I remember the last time that happened.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
That was really enjoyable.

At first it seemed like it was one instance that repeated every day, barring interference from the guests, but then Ed Harris' character seems to have been there for longer than a day since his second appearance.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I enjoyed it. I just hope the orchestral rearrangements of contemporary songs isn't a recurring thing on the show. It's just too played out.

So just to make sure I understand, there is an entire chunk of land that is used for the park, right? This isn't something the people and androids are plugged into?

It wasnt quite "International Assassin" from The Leftovers lastyear.

But that was an amazing hour of TV. Hopefully they can keep it up and it wont have a big drop in quality.

Mashing

I don't know anything about Westworld, but this first episode has me very intrigued.

Oh, also have to agree that the music was amazing.

Macattk15

How do they not know that a guest is still out in the park and one of the machines is missing? The park seems too well managed for them not to realize

I think Ed Harris is also a robot. What he is doing ... or why the operators don't seem to notice or care ... I do not know.

JoeBoy101

Really enjoyed it. I was really impressed with how grim and creepy they managed to make the atmosphere, while making so much of it seem... 'clinical'?

Plus, I LOVE the direction they seem to be going with Ed Harris. I have no idea his motives, but I love it.

Macattk15 said:
I think Ed Harris is also a robot. What he is doing ... or why the operators don't seem to notice or care ... I do not know.

First scene and his dialogue nails him as a guest. But that '30 years' comment. Makes me wonder if he is one of the guests from the last 'critical failure'? Maybe the hero from that movie?

1) There seems to be some ulterior movies behind testing and designing lifelike AI/machines given that talk about management and shareholders

2) Ed Harris' character seems interested in exploiting and understanding how the machines work.

3) The show made us assume he's a guest given that he couldn't get hurt, but we never see him on or around the train.

Macattk15

First scene and his dialogue nails him as a guest. But that '30 years' comment. Makes me wonder if he is one of the guests from the last 'critical failure'? Maybe the hero from that movie?

Dialog could all be programmed? But yeah what you're saying is a stronger possibility.

Especially since he couldn't get hurt from the bullets.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Really enjoyed this episode, but it's really kind of creepy. I am very curious is to how they are going to keep it interesting. I also predicted that some character was going to slap a fly, it just seemed like such a perfect way to end it.

JoeBoy101

Does this closely follow the original in terms of the premise?

In the most basic terms of premise, yes it looks like it. But the execution is WAY more different and deliberate.

Macattk15 said:
Dialog could all be programmed? But yeah what you're saying is a stronger possibility.

Yeah, but Teddy's gun didn't work on him. Can't hurt a guest. But then, he seems to have been trying to be hack (no pun intended) the host at the end, so who knows for sure?

Does this closely follow the original in terms of the premise?
Not really besides the basic idea of a Western themed sandbox with lifelike machines

Actually the original movie happened in this world. That was the critical failure thirty years ago that was mentioned. They basically went the Jurassic World route with the show.

I have a questionI saw the original movie last night Is this a sequel? Because they acted in the control room that the AI went rogue before and when they went to see Ford I saw then walk past global with the word Delos on it?

JoeBoy101

I have a question
I saw the original movie last night Is this a sequel? Because they acted in the control room that the AI went rogue before and when they went to see Ford I saw then walk past global with the word Delos on it?

Nice catch on the globe. And yes, this exists 30 years after the movie.

Top Bottom