• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwk94

Creating that guide from scratch has more or less taught me to create assets first so I don't have to redo everything every time I decide to update the image(s). So that's what I'm doing now.

Oh yes, this is basically a 'get caught up quick' guide that, at the moment isn't too necessary but in the coming months as the episode count balloons could be vital for newcomers. And I agree, the nature of character development in SU is such that you get a little bit in almost every episode + the fact the episodes are only 11 minutes long means you really should try to watch every one. But for those who don't or can't, this guide is to help point out the episodes where major developments occur and to speed up interest in the series. Those who become bewitched can always go back and view those episodes later.

I think I'll be adding a disclaimer saying just as much in future iterations of the guide.

Sure thing.

EDIT: Laser Light Show? Ugh. That's a fix...
I think you should include Arcade Mania in there. Without it, you wouldn't know about Garnets third eye.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Don't they talk about how gems turn into things when corrupted. Maybe she just turned into a mirror

I actually think that when the gems became "items" might of been the "tactics rose used" that jasper talked about impressing her during the fight for Earth. Having seen Jasper I think something as insane as troops choosing to lose their freedom to win a war would be something she would find impressive. The problem is perhaps who or whatever made them into items or beast got destroyed and the remaining Gems had no idea how to reverse the corruption/transformation.

Toxi

Banned
I think you should include Arcade Mania in there. Without it, you wouldn't know about Garnets third eye.
You see the third eye in Mirror Gem (and the way it's shown in that episode makes for an effective reveal even if you miss Arcade Mania).

jwk94

You see the third eye in Mirror Gem (and the way it's shown in that episode makes for an effective reveal even if you miss Arcade Mania).
True but you wouldn't understand why Steven doesn't seem phased by it. I can see why it's excluded though.

Demy

BAN ALL THOSE WHO INSULT LAPIS

Working on a visual episode guide for those new to the series and want to catch up. Season 1A is more or less finished, interested in critiques. Trying to keep it as spoiler-free as possible but also with just enough tantalizing information to pique interests. It's just a first draft, I plan to tweak things around as I go on. Season 1B coming soon.

I've been needing exactly this to get my gf and roommate caught up on the show. Thanks a million!

Seems like another debate has been cleared up!
Steven is a mixture of human and Gem DNA as I assumed to be the case (As in, he aint a Greg clone with a gem glued on. Gems DO have DNA that determines how they look and what not) and gems can form human anatomy.

Ok, i’m gonna try to explain this as simply as I can(apologies in advance if I screw up any gender terminology):

In the world of the show, Gems are an alien species that don’t have a gender binary. They are all the same. (This is very common in fiction. Think of alien species like the Namekians in Dragon Ball.)

Steven on the other hand was created by mixing human and gem DNA so he’s a completely new kind of being. He is the only gem to be born thru biological reproductive means(Rose shapeshifted a womb for him to be born from). In Earth terms, he identifies as male so the Crystal Gems have no problem using he/him pronouns with him. (Jasper, who has no concept of this, refers to Steven as if he is Rose)

This is similar to how all Smurfs were “male” before Smurfette was created by Gargamel.

That said, Gems have the ability to take on gendered forms if they choose to. You’ve seen Amethyst do this.
http://ianjq.tumblr.com/post/113794156834/i-know-that-the-gems-are-sexless-agendered-etc

That's actually a really good point ... no one ever makes a big deal over Smurfs or Namekians even though Gems are VERY much if not exactly like them. But you make a race of all female rock people and people have a hard time deciding on if they're female ore not.

I think it's just best to go by wat the characters call each other. All gems use her/ she to address each other then they're all female ... simple. Not sure where the hub-bub comes from.

Well that explains alo....Wait wait wait....Gargamel created smurfette?!

All these years I never knew that.

Yeah, it was some sexist shit plan of his about how adding the distraction of females ruins the hard working male group because everyone wants to bone her instead of doing their job and it works ( and they tots blame the sexy female Smurf because it's her fault they gets the boners IIRC). Then Papa Smurf rebirths her or something to make her "good" and she stops distracting them with her flirting I think.

... It was another time. A more openly sexist and racist time. Miiiight be remembering that wrong .. been a long time. Like, why does he still want to capture the Smurfs if he can make em? IDK ..

Raxus

Yeah, it was some sexist shit plan of his about how adding the detraction of females ruins the hard working male group because everyone wants to bone her instead of doing their job and it works ( and they tots blame the sexy female Smurf because it's her fault they gets the boners IIRC). Then Papa Smurf rebirths her or something to make her "good" and she stops distracting them with her flirting I think.

... It was another time. A more openly sexist and racist time. Miiiight be remembering that wrong .. been a long time.

At least they didn't have time to make Urban Smurf.

Back on topic, do you want a forward for the series for the episode guide as well PSX?

Psxphile

and gems can form human anatomy.

We actually knew this already. Matt Burnett, in a tweet, basically said they can form working organs within themselves if needed months ago. Which led to the assumption that Rose must have created a womb within herself for Steven's sake, hence her very pregnant belly in Lion 3. But it's a factoid that's easily missed so it's good that it's being reiterated again, especially concerning the mystery of Steven's birth.

rexor0717

I know it probably wont be addressed, but it'd be interesting to know where the gems get their energy from. It doesn't have to go too deep, but it'd be nice if its was more than "its magic". It can still be magic, but maybe there is some central power source on the home world.

I was rewatching the whole show with my brother and I kind of forgot why the gems were collecting gems on (presumably) earth. He asked me why they were going on missions for the gems and I didn't really have an answer. Has that been addressed or did I miss something?

jwk94

I was rewatching the whole show with my brother and I kind of forgot why the gems were collecting gems on (presumably) earth. He asked me why they were going on missions for the gems and I didn't really have an answer. Has that been addressed or did I miss something?

I think it's implied they want to find a way to purify them, but we don't know for sure. Hopefully they'll address that this season.

Toxi

Banned
They were collecting those monster gems for two reasons
  • To keep the monsters imprisoned so they can't hurt people; without bubbling the gems, they would just regenerate back into monsters over time like Centipeedle did
  • To hopefully restore them to their original state if they ever find a cure (This one's obviously a spoiler)

Speaking of questions about the show and the gems, did Rebecca or anybody in the crewniverse explain why the human government/military/FBI/
The Men in Black
don't seem to be keeping a close eye on the 3 extraterrestrial magical ladies or the tech/weapons/ruins their interstellar magitek type II (or maybe even type III) civilization left behind?

The best explanation I came up with is that they're ok with that stuff being contained in Beach City because it's out of the way and sparsely populated (the same goes for the Strawberry Battlefield n stuff)...so they just don't get involved.
Plus I remember Rebecca saying SU-verse's humans tend to stay away from Gem stuff, but potentially dangerous ruins/tech like the Kindergarten and the events of "The Return"/Jail Break makes me feel like that's not too believable anymore.
:p

rexor0717

Well humans know about the Gems. Earth history had a huge fucking war 6000 years ago to reclaim the planet from the gems. The Crystal Gems under Rose's command saved the Earth. Kingdoms/Governments have been established knowing of the Gems contributions so I imagine this version of the USA have gotten in contact with the Gems at some point. Its funny to think about how world history developed. Are they even in the USA? It'd be funny to think of the Revolutionary War with the Gems just avoiding all the bullshit. The Gems were down with slavery? Can't think too deeply about it, lol.

Well humans know about the Gems. Earth history had a huge fucking war 6000 years ago to reclaim the planet from the gems. The Crystal Gems under Rose's command saved the Earth. Kingdoms/Governments have been established knowing of the Gems contributions so I imagine this version of the USA have gotten in contact with the Gems at some point. Its funny to think about how world history developed. Are they even in the USA? It'd be funny to think of the Revolutionary War with the Gems just avoiding all the bullshit. The Gems were down with slavery? Can't think too deeply about it, lol.

lol
At the gems and slavery; yeah...I can't see a character like Rose tolerating something like that and if she did it would be an absurdly contradicting break in character...but
Rebecca pretty much confirmed that the show takes place in an alternate USA in a state called Delmarva (or maybe it's just an abbreviation of a peninsula where many states lie, just like in real life. I'm note too sure in all honesty) in her AMA, so it's very possible that US slavery never occurred in the SU-verse.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
lol
At the gems and slavery; yeah...I can't see a character like Rose tolerating something like that and if she did it would be an absurdly contradicting break in character...but
Rebecca pretty much confirmed that the show takes place in an alternate USA in a state called Delmarva (or maybe it's just an abbreviation of a peninsula where many states lie, just like in real life. I'm note too sure.) in her AMA, so it's very possible that US slavery never occurred in the SU-verse.

This is interesting, I hadn't heard that.

Though it seems reasonable that Rose and her team wouldn't have gone to war (essentially) with the human world during certain bad events in history because they would be greatly outnumbered and wouldn't want to resort to killing humans.

It may be an aspect of the backstory that is logical, but very bleak, and we may not see it explicitly dealt with on-screen.

rexor0717

Assuming they've been in the Beach city area for even 1000 years, it may have been isolated enough to not really run across too many humans. Its not like there were TVs and Radios back then, so if they weren't coming into contact with humans, then they might not have known at the time. Like stated above, I doubt the show would go into detail about this stuff. Way too bleak for the show, and doesn't really help flesh out any of the characters.

Raxus

I rather they keep things as unconvoluted as possible. It is what brings down shows like LOST and even Adventure Time to some degree. They put in so many plot threads that some inevitably get lost in the shuffle. They have the right idea focusing on gem world and the residents of Beach City.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Thankfully, with the way the show is handling its mythology I don't think it has to get too complex in order to insinuate complexity. Just an off-hand remark here or there is enough to suggest all sorts of events happened because gems were on Earth. But most of it need never be shown.

I don't remember if it was Rebecca or Ian or who, but someone actually answered this question already. Steven Universe takes place in an alternate reality where humans on earth developed while being fully aware of the Gems and their presence.

So I assume that, due to the Crystal Gems saving humanity 6000 years ago, they're essentially left alone to do their own thing and contain the remaining corrupted gems. Any kind of government involvement would have happened a long, long time ago.

Speaking of questions about the show and the gems, did Rebecca or anybody in the crewniverse explain why the human government/military/FBI/
The Men in Black
don't seem to be keeping a close eye on the 3 extraterrestrial magical ladies or the tech/weapons/ruins their interstellar magitek type II (or maybe even type III) civilization left behind?

Are we so sure they aren't watching?

pdGEk4j.jpg

KiN0

I don't remember if it was Rebecca or Ian or who, but someone actually answered this question already. Steven Universe takes place in an alternate reality where humans on earth developed while being fully aware of the Gems and their presence.

So I assume that, due to the Crystal Gems saving humanity 6000 years ago, they're essentially left alone to do their own thing and contain the remaining corrupted gems. Any kind of government involvement would have happened a long, long time ago.

I'm pretty sure the gems have had some involvement with the government. There is an episode with Ronaldo realizing that the diamond on the dollar bill has some connection with the gems. Or maybe that was just him being crazy.

Crocodile

Finally saw Final Discloure. A lot of different ways they could have taken that episode, many which would have pissed me off, but they handled it in the best way possible. Nice.

Another screen for Open Book

Airing Thursday March 19 at 5:00 p.m. EST

tumblr_nl7bvciQg61uq8fseo1_540.jpg

Is it me or does Steven kind of look like a Gatchaman?

Raxus

There are so many anime references in Steven Universe I am practically drowning in them.

Heck, Garnet Universe plays out like a mega condensed version of DBZ. The same scouter in the episode explodes, regenerates and explodes again.

P.S. Falcon Steven is super cute and I want a plush version of it.

Unbounded

So, question: Is it technically possible to kill a gem?

I mean, yes, you can destroy their physical form, but then they just retreat into their gem. You can even smash their gem but that isn't necessarily going to be the end since gem shards are still alive and still active. http://steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Gem_Shards

Something else worth noting is that the gem shards in Frybo
uh2WwvI.png
aren't anything like the Gem Shards in Secret Team.
FDtc9xZ.png
In Frybo the shards are of uniform color and required being placed into something. In Secret team the shards were of varying color and activated on their own, without being placed into a piece of clothing, uniform, or whatever. This implies that the gem shards in secret team are completely different from the gem shards in Frybo, and I think the gem shards in Secret team may have been the remnants of some gems who were smashed in the battle discussed in Rose's Scabbard.

This would also at least somewhat explain why Pearl went out of her way in secret team to take the gem shards from Garnet in the first place. They probably held some sort of personal value to her.

I'm also pretty confident that they're trying to figure out how to fix smashed gems.

jwk94

Steven is a mixture of human and Gem DNA as I assumed to be the case (As in, he aint a Greg clone with a gem glued on. Gems DO have DNA that determines how they look and what not) and gems can form human anatomy.

http://ianjq.tumblr.com/post/113794156834/i-know-that-the-gems-are-sexless-agendered-etc

That's actually a really good point ... no one ever makes a big deal over Smurfs or Namekians even though Gems are VERY much if not exactly like them. But you make a race of all female rock people and people have a hard time deciding on if they're female ore not.

I think it's just best to go by wat the characters call each other. All gems use her/ she to address each other then they're all female ... simple. Not sure where the hub-bub comes from.

Rose shapeshifted a womb. She SHAPESHIFTED A WOMB! WHAT!

Psxphile

I think it's ready now:

Changed some things around, added some entries, took away others, and maybe made some things more convoluted than they needed to be. Whatever, I'm satisfied with it (for now).

jwk94

I think it's ready now:

Changed some things around, added some entries, took away others, and maybe made some things more convoluted than they needed to be. Whatever, I'm satisfied with it (for now).

You've done good, my friend. Now someone put these into the OP!

I just don't see how that's possible. Unless the gems are not just projecting a physical forum from their nonbiological Gem, but completely reproducing biology down cell structure and DNA strands. That seems like a huge stretch and a massive waste of energy.

No to mention what happens to their "DNA" when a gem turns into an animal. Did Amethyst suddenly have cat DNA when she shape shifted into a cat?

I mean...
I get that...but when a giant incredibly advanced spaceship armed with deadly laser cannons lands on the planet and the people driving it threaten to reawaken a "kill all life on earth" factory it becomes a little hard for me to believe that the US government/military of any universe wouldn't at least pay a tiny bit of attention to what's going on in that realm.
Maybe they'll explain in the future because the "humans just leave them alone because they developed around them..." explanation is kind of unsatisfying to me (I mean...there should at least be some archaeologist situated around ancient gem ruins/battlefields/technology...); which is weird because I find most of SU's world's logic to be pretty darn believable/well-executed, and it's answers to viewer questions tends to be pretty satisfying for the most part.

This is interesting, I hadn't heard that.

Though it seems reasonable that Rose and her team wouldn't have gone to war (essentially) with the human world during certain bad events in history because they would be greatly outnumbered and wouldn't want to resort to killing humans.

It may be an aspect of the backstory that is logical, but very bleak, and we may not see it explicitly dealt with on-screen.

And that's honestly a very satisfying explanation imo (as powerful as the crystal gems are I imagine they'd get creamed by a large competent united force of humans gunning for their throats...or should I say, Gems.), but as you've said that's kind of a bleak explanation.
However, Garnet made it pretty clear that she feels that the war for earth she participated in was a terrible unnecessary waste of life (Like, she really didn't sugar coat it); I wouldn't put it past the crewniverse to throw an explanation like yours into the show's lore.

Psxphile

"Now, even more character."

He's a character all right. :V

I hear the show's doing well in other parts of the world. I wonder if they already aired the finale in Mexico, I want to hear what Jasper sounds like in spanish.

I mean...
I get that...but when a giant incredibly advanced spaceship armed with deadly laser cannons lands on the planet and the people driving it threaten to reawaken a "kill all life on earth" factory it becomes a little hard for me to believe that the US government/military of any universe wouldn't at least pay a tiny bit of attention to what's going on in that realm.
Maybe they'll explain in the future because the "humans just leave them alone because they developed around them..." explanation is kind of unsatisfying to me (I mean...there should at least be some archaeologist situated around ancient gem ruins/battlefields/technology...); which is weird because I find most of SU's world's logic to be pretty darn believable/well-executed, and it's answers to viewer questions tends to be pretty satisfying for the most part.
Well, in all fairness, the entire situation didn't last very long and it's possible that we just haven't seen the fallout from the S1 finale yet. I don't personally think they have to but it wouldn't surprise me if they introduced government characters in Season 2 to deal with the repercussions.

Rose shapeshifted a womb. She SHAPESHIFTED A WOMB! WHAT!
How else would one carry a baby? :p

I just don't see how that's possible. Unless the gems are not just projecting a physical forum from their nonbiological Gem, but completely reproducing biology down cell structure and DNA strands. That seems like a huge stretch and a massive waste of energy.

No to mention what happens to their "DNA" when a gem turns into an animal. Did Amethyst suddenly have cat DNA when she shape shifted into a cat?

I assume it's like any high level shape shifter deal. Plastic man doesn't change his DNA every time he shape shifts and neither does Ms Marvel I take it.

Their gems HAVE DnA and that DnA is in their bodies as well.

Also for the page topic ... I find it easier to just assume there is no big gov presence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom