• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

Accoun

I'd perhaps add some additional empty lines in between the sections and maybe subsections (see the beginning of Mods/WADs especially), but other than that and especially content-wise it's a great OT. Good job!

Raptomex

Doom 3 exists.

I may add a section for some Doom 3 mods. Perfected Doom 3, Classic Doom, and the upcoming Phobos are all worth checking out.

Before I head to work I wanted to add DoomRL (Doom, the Roguelike) under the links section. I can't believe I forgot about it last night.

It's free. Anyone who like's roguelikes and Doom should definitely check this out. It comes with a default tileset created by Derek Yu for that sexy Doom feel.

Nokterian

Still a fantastic game. A long with Heretic and Hexen i played these games so mutch. I found it very cool to play it in this day and age.

Icefire1424

Geat timing. Picked up Doom and Doom 2 on Steam a little while back, finally got through the original Doom after never being able to beat it when I was younger. Currently doing a run through Doom 2.

...also picked up all the Hexen's for the same reason.

Great OT, well overdue. Subbed.

DOOOOOOOOOOOM

my cousins, brother and I were hyped as hell to play the demo back in the 90's haha, my uncle downloaded it for us too and put it on a floppy disc B^)

but the sad thing is i got motion sickness when DOOM 3 came out cause i played like 5 hours straight of DOOM 1 and DOOM 2 on the bonus disc

still love the game though

lethial

Reeeeeeee
snort snort snort-snort...grrrrrr.....boom shk shk boom shk shk boom! ehhh ehh ehhh ehhh ehehehhh ehhh (sound of pain when you're in lava)

Great OT!

Was playing a bit of Brutal before work this morning. Might bring the laptop in to work tomorrow and try to get some co-op going.

FACE

Banned
This thread is huge! That means it has huge guts! RIP AND TEAR!

Great OT, man. Instantly subscribed.

Sophia

Thanks a lot!

Would it be possible to enable this by default? I don't really console, so that's probably a very basic thing...

You can amend your ZDoom shortcut to have "+cl_capfps 1" at the end, or you can edit the zdoom.ini file manually and add it.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Damn me and my lack of a laptop. I'd be all over Doom again because of this thread.

We really should organise some deathmatches sometime. Zandronum preferred.

Raptomex

If we had some GAF mappers we should create some GAF megawads. Similar to the Community Chest megawads of Doomworld.

naib

Nice OP!

Was going to come in here and plug DoomRL but I see you've already got it on there.
Good stuff.

Finalizer

I may add a section for some Doom 3 mods. Perfected Doom 3, Classic Doom, and the upcoming Phobos are all worth checking out.

Can't have a list of Doom 3 mods without mentioning The Dark Project, especially since it went standalone a while back and is perfect for folks looking to scratch that Thief itch & let down by the newly released game.

Khaz

Doom is one of the best fps for controllers in general, IMO. The fact that it's not tuned for free look makes it very stick friendly.

All the FPS with raycasting-like engines of that era are really controller-friendly. The likes of Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Hexen, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, Exhumed, Alien Trilogy... Are all very pleasant to play with D-pad and triggers. I played most of these with the keyboard only, alt-straffing and shift-running.

ShaneB

Great OT! Will check over a bucn of mods that I've missed and see what I like. Doom is always installed and a great game to mindlessly relax.

Have never played Doom 3 though, should actually get around to that one day.

Not too bad. A few concerns, though.

As I mentioned earlier, Doom 2 The Way id Did is not still in beta. You shouldn't be linking to a final beta when a final version is out there.

Samsara really needs a mention. Thing is pretty friggin' amazing. If you've ever wanted to play through all the Doom games as Corvus from Heretic, Duke Nukem, the Ranger from Quake, that guy from Marathon et al, this is the mod for you. Also has extensive multiplayer support, so you can do Chex Quest Guy vs. B.J. Blazkowicz fights if you want to. Later versions promise to have more giblets a la Brutal Doom if that's your thing, but they're also entirely client-side if it's not.

Also, should probably mention FreeDoom, an IWAD full of entirely-original assets designed to let you play Doom 2 mods. Obviously, the quality isn't as good as the official IWADs (and some of the level design of the base campaign leaves a lot to be desired), but it's out there for those who want to see what the fuss is all about.

Last thing: you list all the monsters and items, but not what any of them do. Surely a sentence or so each would suffice?

Raptomex

I'll fix the D2TWID when I get home. I didn't realize there was a release thread. I forgot about FreeDOOM. I'll add that as well.

There's a ton of great megawads I didn't list yet. It was 4 in the morning when I finished the OP. But I will be adding more tonight.

Tain

A few years ago I slapped this together:

ManDoom

ManDoom is a slightly modified ZDoom Windows build made to make every player death permanent by disallowing abuse of the save and load features of the Doom engine. ManDoom can also provide randomly-generated maps every session.

...I have a lot of fun playing Doom this way. I prefer it. The game is so insanely fast these days, since we all use WASD and mouselook (or at least mouse turning), that playing through an episode without dying is reasonable and the game doesn't have enough filler to get tedious on retry after retry. Things get awfully tense! I also threw in some new novelty difficulty levels and included the OBLIGE map generator to generate randomized episodes through the in-game main menu.

Raptomex

ManDoom

...I have a lot of fun playing Doom this way. I prefer it. The game is so insanely fast these days, since we all use WASD and mouselook (or at least mouse turning), that playing through an episode without dying is reasonable and the game doesn't have enough filler to get tedious on retry after retry. Things get awfully tense! I also threw in some new novelty difficulty levels and included the OBLIGE map generator to generate randomized episodes through the in-game main menu.
That sounds awesome. Does it work with latest builds or other source ports?

Tain

That sounds awesome. Does it work with latest builds or other source ports?

Unfortunately, since saving is god-given (engine-given) right in Doom, and since ZDoom creators have been very hostile to the idea of letting WADs enable/disable saving on a map-by-map basis, ManDoom is a variant of ZDoom itself. It's based on a pretty recent but not completely recent version. I'd do a GZDoom version if I were less lazy.

Raptomex

Unfortunately, since saving is god-given (engine-given) right in Doom, and since ZDoom creators have been very hostile to the idea of letting WADs enable/disable saving on a map-by-map basis, ManDoom is a variant of ZDoom itself. It's based on a pretty recent but not completely recent version. I'd do a GZDoom version if I were less lazy.
I'll add it to source port list when I get home. I want to try this myself.

Sophia

ManDoom

I'm going to try this right now. The idea of randomly generated maps with perma-death sounds awesome.

I tried making a mod once. I was really into, adding all kinds of weapons from other games
Some screens:
6a1BpwA.jpg

ivUxoaj.jpg

DXV0qx9.jpg

Great thread for one of the best FPS(es) ever made. Even today you can still pick up DoomI&II like it hasn't aged a bit. Really shows that good level/game design is timeless.

Levyne

Banned
I have the Doom 3 BFG edition on steam which I haven't put any time into. It comes with Doom 1 and 2. Maybe It's been too long since I've played these.

I tried making a mod once. I was really into, adding all kinds of weapons from other games
Some screens:
http://i.imgur.com/6a1BpwA.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ivUxoaj.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/DXV0qx9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

badass

Edit: Related, from the OP

"No Rest For the Living
No Rest for the Living is the title of the new Doom II episode developed by Nerve Software for the release of Doom II on the XBLA. It is also included in the Doom 3 BFG Edition."

I'm....not sure I've ever played those!

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So...how long until we get to the inevitable anti-Brutal Doom whining? I mean, it's not like you can't play the game as it was originally intended.

Raptomex

Fantastic OP. Subbed.

Should be titled, no? Was expecting some Doom 3 & 4 postings as well.
The way I see it, Doom 3 is a great game, just not a great Doom game.

My opinions aside, my main goal of this thread was to worship the original games and keep GAF up to date with it's excellent source ports and mods. Doom excellence was lacking here. I had to change that.

Hopefully Doom 4 will be back on the right track. But I added some Doom 3 mods to the OP and I am looking forward to 4.

Scipius

Hopefully Doom 4 will be back on the right track. But I added some Doom 3 mods to the OP and I am looking forward to 4.

I have no hope whatsoever for Doom 4. With id disintegrating and everything that has been mentioned about the game being decidedly lacklustre, there is no way it will end up as anything but a bog-standard console shooter, if it releases at all.

Doom 3 was a decent game and certainly an impressive engine, but it too didn't capture the quintessential Doom experience in many ways.

You have my vote to focus this thread on the core Doom games: (Ultimate) Doom, Doom II, Master Levels and Final Doom (which was prophetically named in hindsight), as well as the multitude of wads and mods for these games. Everything else is not really Doom.

Skab

I have no hope whatsoever for Doom 4. With id disintegrating and everything that has been mentioned about the game being decidedly lacklustre, there is no way it will end up as anything but a bog-standard console shooter, if it releases at all.

Doom 3 was a decent game and certainly an impressive engine, but it too didn't capture the quintessential Doom experience in many ways.

You have my vote to focus this thread on the core Doom games: (Ultimate) Doom, Doom II, Master Levels and Final Doom (which was prophetically named in hindsight), as well as the multitude of wads and mods for these games. Everything else is not really Doom.

All that stuff that came out about Doom 4 before is pointless now. The project was apparently restarted last year sometime. So we know next to nothing about what Doom 4 is going to be. I don't really know how anyone could have formed an opinion on it yet.

I'll remain hopeful for now. (Especially after seeing some of the id guys praise brutaldoom so much.)

Raptomex

Honestly I think id still makes the best FPS games. Or at they at least know how to create excellent shooting mechanics. For its time, Doom 3 definitely played great. But the horror shit was a little much. Every dark corner something jumps out at you. That's not Doom. Doom is running and gunning down demons to badass music.

Rage, too. Even though Rage tried to be so many things and they all felt half-assed, the shooting itself was phenomenal.

Since Carmack left id I'm skeptical about Doom 4 but we'll see what they can do without him. Looking at id's history, hopefully the core gameplay will still be great.

Doom was never about survival horror. The occasional "Oh shit" feeling when you're staring down a Cyberdemon with only a pistol, but it isn't Resident Evil. It's about shooting big nasties with big guns and navigating varied labyrinthian levels.

Raptomex

Doom was never about survival horror. The occasional "Oh shit" feeling when you're staring down a Cyberdemon with only a pistol, but it isn't Resident Evil. It's about shooting big nasties with big guns and navigating varied labyrinthian levels.
This guy gets it.

One of the biggest disappointments with D3 was the entire Cyberdemon battle. You're supposed to shoot it until dies. Get rid of the soul cube shit.

RedSwirl

Man fuck Plutonia Experiment. Dropped it around map 10. It's beatable for sure, but just too frustrating and cheap with its enemy placement.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Aye, the only way DOOM really reflects horror is the fact that you're a one-man-army against the legions of hell itself, fighting horrifying monsters that all want to turn you in the same kind of mush puddle that you turn them into. And you also fight former comrades, now horrible bleeding zombie men. You're all alone, doing the unthinkable.

Top Bottom