• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III PS3/360 |OT| Bringing Hell to consoles

Dahbomb

D3 enjoyment graphs.

PC version:

d31.jpg

Console version:

d32.jpg

JCizzle

5 levels in, no bow drops. Vendor not selling one. I'm pinging bitches to death 1 damage at a time. Elites are harder than inferno :-(

crozier

I've not followed this thread, is the PS3 version bad compared to the 360 version?
If you have a choice, definitely go with the 360. The game is perfectly enjoyable on PS3, though. I just hit Act II and the frame rate actually seems better than Act I. I've also played MP with 3 people and didn't notice a big drop or anything.

MrDaravon

Playing on normal/medium, just got my first legendary about a third of the way through Act 2 by
killing Magdha
, was a ridiculous quiver for my DH at level 17:

-Socket
-43 Dex
-11% IAS
-5 Disc
-3.0% CD
-12 exp per kill

That same boss also dropped a ridiculous rare 1h crossbow that's equally ridiculous. So far I've been getting almost nothing but great drops for my class, the only exception being for some reason the boss of Act 1 dropped like 3 barb weapons which was kinda weird. Also the random quest rewards you get are all over the place; some have been amazing, and some have been like 10 levels too low, which is weird.

D3 enjoyment graphs.

PC version:

d31.jpg

Console version:

d32.jpg

I disagree. Diablo III for console isn't frustrating, unlike the PC version. By frustrating, I mean shitty loot drop 99.9% of the time. The fact that you get good loots for your class makes it much more engaging. Also, playing this game with a controller is complete rainbow.

Dahbomb

I disagree. Diablo III for console isn't frustrating, unlike the PC version. By frustrating, I mean shitty loot drop 99.9% of the time. The fact that you get good loots for your class makes it much more engaging. Also, playing this game with a controller is complete rainbow.
So you are basically agreeing with the two graphs.

Stoffinator

Really enjoying this on PS3. There were definitely framerate dips at the very start of the game but so far it's seemed pretty damn smooth overall to me with the very odd hiccup. Nothing that's bothered me anyway. Been playing on Normal/Medium and having a blast. Not tried grouping with anyone yet, just solo. I do love the roll move a lot, so fuckin handy.

See I haven't had any problems at all. I have only got a little bit of screen tearing in some areas. But not really noticeable. Frame rate has been solid for me.

The screen tearing is pretty noticeable on 360, but you get used to it. Framerate drops here and there, but nothing too terribly bad so far. I imagine act 3 will have a lot of drops. One thing I've seen a bit of is the AI freezing. Never noticed that on pc before

crozier

So you are basically agreeing with the two graphs.
The graphs show far more (longer=horizontal) enjoyment being derived from the PC version. I assume because good loot upsets the game's balance and makes it too easy or something, or the author thinks it simply plays better on a PC.

Seems like a solid port. The console UI is what impresses me more than anything else. The radial menu system for your character sheet is perfect for a controller. The direct character control is fine, I guess. It sucks not being able to focus the target you want if another enemy is between you and your desired target. I pretty much bought this to tide me over until the PC version gets some love.

I seem to have been fooled about the new "dodge" mechanic. Like the PC version, there is no way to dodge an attack that has already been started by an enemy. It's still all dice rolls dictating whether you'll block or dodge the attack, not by direct player movement. It's useful for ranged classes to position themselves for their attacks at least.

And starting a new character on Hard difficulty was a rotten experience. It took me 5-10 seconds to wipe out the very first enemies in the game--each one, not a group. I've since switched to normal difficulty and the game has been more enjoyable. My demon hunter is level 13 and the loot drops have been far and few between. I wouldn't call what has dropped quality items either. All but two or three of my upgrades up to this point have been purchased from vendors in New Tristram. They are my auction house for the time being, until this supposedly great, revamped loot system kicks in and allows me to become stronger by actually playing the game.

RoKKeR

I know this probably isn't the place to ask this but have we heard any inklings about an Xbox One version? Is this a case of just timed exclusivity for PS4?

MrDaravon

My demon hunter is level 13 and the loot drops have been far and few between. I wouldn't call what has dropped quality items either. All but two or three of my upgrades up to this point have been purchased from vendors in New Tristram. They are my auction house for the time being, until this supposedly great, revamped loot system kicks in and allows me to become stronger by actually playing the game.

I just hit 19 with my DH and have literally the polar opposite experience as you; I've gotten some upgrades from vendors, but I've been getting practically nonstop upgrades dropping, no idea man :(

Dahbomb

The graphs show far more (longer=horizontal) enjoyment being derived from the PC version. I assume because good loot upsets the game's balance and makes it too easy or something, or the author thinks it simply plays better on a PC.
The enjoyment is on the vertical graph so the higher it is the more enjoyment you are having. The horizontal bar is time put in or progression. The parts on both graphs where the graph is flatlining is where the game is "average".

The PC version dips "below average" a lot because you go through long periods without an upgrade and when stuff gets too boring/frustrating you go to buy an item on the AH to bring the game back to at least average level.

On the console version you are playing at average or above average enjoyment and during that time you are surprised with an upgrade, peaking your enjoyment until that upgrades gets old which is then proceeded by another upgrade.

Basically console version > PC version in terms of enjoyment. If the graphs were overlayed on the same graph it would make more sense I guess. The parts where there is a horizontal "lull" in the PC version is actually the same as the horizontal portion of the PC version.

I just hit 19 with my DH and have literally the polar opposite experience as you; I've gotten some upgrades from vendors, but I've been getting practically nonstop upgrades dropping, no idea man :(

Well, that fills me with hope for tomorrow night. Come on legendary items!

crozier

The PC version is sitting at peak enjoyment longer than the console versions which are basically bipolar according to the graph.

MrDaravon

Weird; I just noticed that DH's can't equip 1 handed melee weapons anymore? I mean, not that there was ever much reason to unless you were crazy or maybe trying the Sever build, but I just noticed my DH can't equip any melee weapons.

Also I've gotten about 10 gem drops on my DH, and all but one was a Topaz. Blizzard pls

Edit: Just got a second legendary, it was a worse version of the first one I got lol

Dahbomb

The PC version is sitting at peak enjoyment longer than the console versions which are basically bipolar according to the graph.
That's not peak enjoyment, that's average enjoyment. :/

Let me make a quick graph myself on MS paint.

image.png

The "average" enjoyment of the game is somewhere between the pink and blue lines. So those peaks of the PC versions are still below average in terms of enjoyment.

Riggs

Banned
Rofl these graphs are fucking funny.

Guys serious question please!!!!!

How the hell do I know when Rend has proc'd? It's annoying to keep looking at the bottom left of my screen. On PC I just always kind of had a system, I would hit my proper key and just spam it. But I don't want to keep hitting triangle for some reason ....

Anyone know?

Daigoro

graphs lol.

so i never did pre-order this, but it looks like its still on sale at TRU for $45? so i could conceivably just walk in there tomorrow morning and pick up a copy at the sale price?

hm...

Got the ps3 version and redeemed the infernal helmet dlc. But I don't seem to see the other 3 items listed when I go into my stash. Am I missing something?

I was bored as fuck getting my monk to level 60 on the PC version, but if the loot-drops are actually decent this time, I may go and pick this up. Only drawback is the expansion won't be released on consoles... Or so Blizzard claims. But I think the auction house is what fucking ruined the game on PC.

Now THIS is a videogame.

I feel like I've played many rip-offs over the years, but I've never played the real thing until now.
And it wasn't the real thing until now. This does put the PC version to shame in so many ways, not the least of which is how natural and satisfying direct control feels.

Don't take this as me shitting on PC since I also own that version. This is just far more enjoyable in a lot of large and small ways. It really is Blizzard's do-over for the most part, with the worst aspects of the PC version left on the cutting room floor.

Only drawback is the expansion won't be released on consoles... Or so Blizzard claims.
When did they say this?

Riggs

Banned
Got the ps3 version and redeemed the infernal helmet dlc. But I don't seem to see the other 3 items listed when I go into my stash. Am I missing something?

Hrmmm if you pre ordered the PS3 version, all the items except inferno helm should be in your stash. The inventory is confusing at first if you are used to the PC version, which I was. Double check bro, also the wings and dyes are in your 'potion' section of the inventory.

Also I have an I7 3.2 ghz, GTX 680, 6 GB ram ... not the greatest PC, but it plays everything. And fuck the PC version of D3, this is superior so far. I am really enjoying this. And for me to say I am enjoying D3, says a fucking lot. Really this is a lot of fun.

Sorry darkjedi187 not directed at you, just wanted to say that because I am drunk.

I dont know if its been asked in the thread or not, but would /could they add controller support to the PC version? I'd be curious to try to play it like that!

I dont know if its been asked in the thread or not, but would /could they add controller support to the PC version? I'd be curious to try to play it like that!
To make this version work they had to bring in the camera, change some of the skills (to work with the controller), overhaul the entire UI, and change enemy behaviors (less aggressive crowding and surrounding all at once). So I'm not sure how they could work that in and still have it work with players using mouse/keyboard.

This version is more than a controller mapping port.

But yeah, it'd be nice to see the PC community get some love, including controller support if possible. I just wouldn't hold my breath.

OK since there's no manual and the game doesn't really tell you anything...

Do enemies ever respawn anywhere, or do you go through the storyline and then start over? And do my stats and weapons carry over to the other difficulty levels? How important will training my blacksmith be, should I start on that ASAP? Man, this game is god-tier.

LtOrange

It is awesome to see all the love these versions are getting. I will definitely jump in when the PS4 and expansion drops. I can't wait to play this on a big screen with controller support.

Jedi2016

To make this version work they had to bring in the camera, change some of the skills (to work with the controller), overhaul the entire UI, and change enemy behaviors (less aggressive crowding and surrounding all at once). So I'm not sure how they could work that in and still have it work with players using mouse/keyboard.

This version is more than a controller mapping port.
I'm not sure if tucking the camera in like that was strictly for ease of controller, or simply to make the characters appear larger on screen, since the player will be a bit further back and it's running at a lower resolution than pretty much every PC gamer will be playing it at. It could also have been a performance thing, pulling the camera back and revealing more of the map and enemies may have made the 60fps hard to hit consistently.

Changing the camera angle was certainly a controller thing, to make it fit more in line with other action/adventure games. Although the change is not all that much, from what I've seen.. without seeing them side by side, you don't really notice the difference. It still feels more or less the same from the videos I've seen.

I'm kind of hoping that the PS4 version has the ability to change the camera, even if it's only three settings: Close Console Angle (same as PS360 version), Far Console Angle (same angle as PS360, but backed off like PC), or Far PC Angle (same as PC).

(Re: Console Expac) When did they say this?
They didn't. They just said they have nothing to say about it right now. I'm sure the game will absolutely get the expansion, especially if it winds up selling as well as this thread makes it out to be selling (i.e. a smash hit), they'd be stupid not to. They just don't know when the expac will hit, it will probably be quite a while after the PC version, though. As much as I would love to see the PS4 version ship with the expac, I think it's a pipe dream.

quick question, i never played diablo game before, is this game fun if you play solo?

This will be my very first time playing a Diablo game as well. A friend of mine, who is a veteran Diablo player and already mastered this on the PC, instructed me to wait for him so we could play it together.

I really hope I enjoy this game for the next two weeks, because I'll be forgetting about it completely once GTA V drops.

JCizzle

And it wasn't the real thing until now. This does put the PC version to shame in so many ways, not the least of which is how natural and satisfying direct control feels.

Don't take this as me shitting on PC since I also own that version. This is just far more enjoyable in a lot of large and small ways. It really is Blizzard's do-over for the most part, with the worst aspects of the PC version left on the cutting room floor.

When did they say this?

It's just so horrifically ugly compared to PC, but so much better. Whyyyyyy blizzard whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

This will be my very first time playing a Diablo game as well. A friend of mine, who is a veteran Diablo player and already mastered this on the PC, instructed me to wait for him so we could play it together.

I really hope I enjoy this game for the next two weeks, because I'll be forgetting about it completely once GTA V drops.

If you get into it, I assure you you won't be forgetting it. It is absolutely addicting.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow seems the game has changed quite a bit since PC launch. I stopped playing a few days post launch given how boring and dull act 1/2 was on normal. The constant AH complaints drew me away from pushing further.

This port though, I feel the enemy makeup is MUCH improved with more interesting encounters with unique enemy types off the bat. Vendor trash is lessened as are the reams of fodder enemies. I am playing with hard monster makeup which is also presenting a solid survival challenge at times, especially given enemies don't get killed off in a single blow as I recall. Again the PC launched with such a turgid challenge level that this feels much more refreshing, at least comparing act 1.

Playing on ps3 digital version and have yet to see the screen tear or any noticeable slowdown. This is solo on act 1 though which i'm nearly done with. Might crop up later under diff conditions.

Good stuff and perfect release timing with ffxiv servers down for maintenance

WX3

After playing this on PC at launch, I really had a bad experience with it and quit fairly early on. After reading this thread and how well received this version on the consoles has turned out, I found myself picking it up for the Xbox 360 tonight. I spent about two hours with the game and it really is vastly improved in my opinion, most importantly I feel to me, the control scheme itself makes the game that much more fun. The only problem I am having is deciding if I should stick with D3 or continue playing Tales of Xillia on my PS3. It had been a long time since I have had two games that I desired to play like this, and right now I am honestly torn!

I still don't understand what these yellow orbs do. The game just says it's a buff. Sometimes it makes electric looking lines and then when I get 3 it seems to start doing explosions with a speed boost.

Top Bottom