• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

awp69

A whole bunch of games are on sale for $.99: Prune, Sorcery 3, Leo's Fortune, Road Not Taken, Bean Dreams, VVVVVV, Botanicula, Surgeon Simulator and Super Phantom Cat.

Oynox

A whole bunch of games are on sale for $.99: Prune, Sorcery 3, Leo's Fortune, Road Not Taken, Bean Dreams, VVVVVV, Botanicula, Surgeon Simulator and Super Phantom Cat.

Damn this indie week it will empty my wallet.

I know everybody is into those games right now, but does anybody know if R* ever considered to move Vice City Stories to iOS as well? That would be quite awesome because then all the classic 3D GTAs would be available on iOS.

/edit

Another note: Someone mentioned in a past thread that the Steelseries Stratus is no longer supported with iOS 10. However they released a new firmware updates last month. I really hope that it works again!

Damn this indie week it will empty my wallet.

I know everybody is into those games right now, but does anybody know if R* ever considered to move Vice City Stories to iOS as well? That would be quite awesome because then all the classic 3D GTAs would be available on iOS.

/edit

Another note: Someone mentioned in a past thread that the Steelseries Stratus is no longer supported with iOS 10. However they released a new firmware updates last month. I really hope that it works again!

Fixed now:

http://toucharcade.com/2017/01/05/ios-10-fix-for-steelseries-stratus-mfi-controller-now-available/

PittaGAF

I'm super impressed by Kingdom New Lands 'AI'.
I can waste hours just following the little lives of my people, hunting deers, rabbits, harvesting crops, trading goods, prepare for battle, etc...

Matt Frost

Lol

Day 1 - Mushroom 11
Day 2 - Kingdom: New Lands
Day 3 - Beglitched
Day 4 - Euclidean Lands
Day 5 - Bit City
Day 6 - Golf Zero
Day 7 - Card Thief?
Day 8 - Cosmic Express
Day 9 - ?
Day 10 - Typeshift
Day 11 - ?

What a week of premium indie releases. Little bit annoyed by the arena 8 timewall so im going to buy some of these and After the End. Now to choose...

Pachimari

Euclidean Lands, $2.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/euclidean-lands/id1181212221
40% off launch sale

screen520x924.jpeg

screen520x924.jpeg
I bought this earlier and I think it's gonna be interesting. For now it have to wait though as I've decided to give After The End my time. I'm only at Chapter 2.

Just bought Botanicula and VVVVVV on sale too.

awp69

Any suggestions for good fast-paced arcade racers? Preferably futuristic ones like Wipeout and Fzero.

There's AG Drive which looks pretty but for some reason got kind of dull after a while.

Repulze is still probably my favorite. Older but still looks great. Tons of upgrades and weapon based combat (in the third segment of the game).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm trying to find the puzzle game that someone here released that was similar to the Conceptis Link-a-Pix puzzles. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Also, anyone want to suggest a good Picross game? My only stipulation is that you can turn off errors. I want the game to allow me to make mistakes and not give me a penalty or whatever. I want to be able to solve puzzles at my leisure.

killercow

This is the one I've been anticipating the most of this campaign, but it seems to be free, so I wonder if it'll have timers and such.

I've played it a bit on Android a couple weeks back and it's not a game for me. It's a mindless clicker with a tiny layer of strategy that adds more and more things to buy/wait or pay for as time goes on and the fact that you restart and "prestige" every time you finish a level is kind of annoying. As I said, not for me.

PittaGAF

Am I the only one playing Kingdom New Lands?

Played 3 hours straight yesterday in what seemed a blink of an eye, made it to the second island.

GLORIOUS.

BTW....it's not really true that things doesn't persist between runs....some things DO persist besides your knowledge as I just discovered.

Pachimari

Hmm, Bit City does seem like a very simple management game, that lets you buy upgrades in the in-game store, and earn fast-forwarding through video clips. The game's mechanics are very simple too which isn't a bad thing per se, and the pacing is fast but the goals you have to reach actually make it a slow game to progress in. I like the whole thing of buying lots, building resident apartments, businesses and services, while having to upgrade your buildings , opening up the roads for new types of cars and collecting coins for extra earnings. And thus you can save up for highter tax payings and other stuff for faster and bigger income. Maybe it's too simple for its own good, and quick bursts of plays on the smartphone more than being an in-depth experience on the iPad. I won't come with any conclusion yet, but these are my first impressions of Bit City.

I'm still contemplating buying it, but I've spend so much money on mobile games I don't really invest any time in.

KuroNeeko

Played 3 hours straight yesterday in what seemed a blink of an eye, made it to the second island.

GLORIOUS.

BTW....it's not really true that things doesn't persist between runs....some things DO persist besides your knowledge as I just discovered.

I checked it out on the story, as per your glowing recommendation, but the initial price point is too steep for the amount of time I have to spend on games outside of my normal rotation (read--too much stuff to play right now).

I added it to my Wish List, though, but probably won't play / buy any more games this sale until Card Thief comes out.

I've only seen March 30 as the release date for consoles and PC with a "later" for iOS. Where have you seen that info?

FFS. I should wait until i've woken up before posting.

Coming March 30th, 2017 to Windows, Mac, Xbox One, and Linux. iOS, Android, and other platforms will follow soon after.

I just assumed all of the mentioned platforms were march 30 and others would follow and NOT iOS android and others to follow. My bad.

killercow

15 March this will be out on iOS, I'm told.
I have no clue about what it is but it looks super interesting.

This 10 days are getting ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/r-R8ZjwIDJc

So to recap:

Day 1 - Mushroom 11
Day 2 - Kingdom: New Lands
Day 3 - Beglitched
Day 4 - Euclidean Lands
Day 5 - Bit City
Day 6 - Golf Zero
Day 7 - Ticket to Earth
Day 8 - Cosmic Express
Day 9 - ?
Day 10 - Typeshift
Day 11 - ?
Day 12 - ?

With Card Thief and probably Death Road to Canada still left somwhere.

Pachimari

I don't think Dearh Road to Canada is coming soon.

So far the releases are pretty meh, but the idea is good. They should release games and apps every day.

Pachimari

Meh? Four of the five are indie game ports that received decent-to-excellent reviews

Of course it's a personal preference More_Badass. Kingdom: New Lands looks great. Euclidean Lands and Cosmic Express looks like interesting games too. But that's about it for me. We need more variety, and not just variety among puzzle games. The platform is heavily leaning toward puzzle games, roguelikes and pixelart titles that most of you praise to the sky, where I'm of the mind that we need to be much more critical. Oh yeah, I forgot about Card Thief. So with these four titles the campaign has actually been pretty good, but the rest of games has not been anything to write high about.

Of course it's a personal preference More_Badass. Kingdom: New Lands looks great. Euclidean Lands and Cosmic Express looks like interesting games too. But that's about it for me. We need more variety, and not just variety among puzzle games. The platform is heavily leaning toward puzzle games, roguelikes and pixelart titles that most of you praise to the sky, where I'm of the mind that we need to be much more critical.
To be fair, those are the genres that work best on the platform and work best on touch. Puzzlers, point-n-click, roguelike, strategy, etc.
Although I think you're exaggerating a bit with how many pixel art games we get

Pachimari

To be fair, those are the genres that work best on the platform and work best on touch. Puzzlers, point-n-click, roguelike, strategy, etc.
Although I think you're exaggerating a bit with how many pixel art games we get

They work very well, but I've found myself to never complete any of those games, and mostly just end up wasting money on puzzle games that ends up in folders. I hope to get more ports of games we got on PC, management games, strategy games like Total War that we just got but the actual good versions, something like Stardew Valley and Prison Architect. Hell, give me Max Payne 2 or KOTOR II. The best game I've bought this year has been Football Manager 2017 which is a management game, and the best game on the mobile platform is probably stuff like Pokémon Go and Rollercoaster Tycoon, none of those are puzzle games.

dawgparty

Maybe there's a better place to post this but do you all have any recommendations for specific games that work really well for emulating on a smartphone? So far I've played Fire Emblem on a GBA emulator and am now running through Onimusha tactics. Other emulators would be fine as well.

killercow

They work very well, but I've found myself to never complete any of those games, and mostly just end up wasting money on puzzle games that ends up in folders. I hope to get more ports of games we got on PC, management games, strategy games like Total War that we just got but the actual good versions, something like Stardew Valley and Prison Architect. Hell, give me Max Payne 2 or KOTOR II.

Somehow, except games that would work better with touch (Stardew, Prison Architect for example), I prefer great original games on iOS when they come from big publishers. For example, Dead Space iOS is still one of the finest TPS action on mobile to date. Deus Ex was another example of a decent transition to mobile.

But as you said, that comes down to personal preferences and if you don't really like puzzle game and are looking for big, AAA ports, you won't find what you like in this indie showcase.

Let's hope Prison Architect comes to iPad soon.

Pachimari

I'm fine with puzzles games, and those four titles I mentioned are interesting, but it can also rub me the wrong way reading every single week, that "this puzzle game is the greatest," "this puzzle games does puzzles differently" etc. I would like to read more critical impressions, where we also get to hear about the not-so-great things about these games. Dead Space was a good game, even Bully and the GTA ones are. But how lit would it be if we got games like Stardew Valley and Prison Architect, even The Witness that I'm not too fond of on PC anyway, but still it's much different than those small puzzle games we get so many of.

killercow

I'm fine with puzzles games, and those four titles I mentioned are interesting, but it can also rub me the wrong way reading every single week, that "this puzzle game is the greatest," "this puzzle games does puzzles differently" etc. I would like to read more critical impressions, where we also get to hear about the not-so-great things about these games. Dead Space was a good game, even Bully and the GTA ones are. But how lit would it be if we got games like Stardew Valley and Prison Architect, even The Witness that I'm not too fond of on PC anyway, but still it's much different than those small puzzle games we get so many of.

Fair enough, I'm all for more diversity and more premium games on mobile so that's also fine by me. Apart from Stardew Valley, We know that both Prison and The Witness are coming to mobile sooner or later. Stardew might come but it's still making a ton of money on consoles and PC so there's no real reason to bring it here yet.

As for the diversity in puzzle games, the titles that have been listed previously are all quite different indeed. Whether it's Mushroom 11 (almost a strange puzzler/platformer), Kingdom: New Lands (Puzzle/Management/Tower Defence), Card Thief (Strategy Roguelike), Beglitched (Quite a strange Match-3 with a different storyline) and so on. For anyone looking for a good time, those are all titles that you could play for hours and they all offer something unique and different that plays well with iOS and touch's unique capabilities. It's a good time to also remind everyone that we get those for often less than $5.

Pachimari

Fair enough, I'm all for more diversity and more premium games on mobile so that's also fine by me. Apart from Stardew Valley, We know that both Prison and The Witness are coming to mobile sooner or later. Stardew might come but it's still making a ton of money on consoles and PC so there's no real reason to bring it here yet.

As for the diversity in puzzle games, the titles that have been listed previously are all quite different indeed. Whether it's Mushroom 11 (almost a strange puzzler/platformer), Kingdom: New Lands (Puzzle/Management/Tower Defence), Card Thief (Strategy Roguelike), Beglitched (Quite a strange Match-3 with a different storyline) and so on. For anyone looking for a good time, those are all titles that you could play for hours and they all offer something unique and different that plays well with iOS and touch's unique capabilities. It's a good time to also remind everyone that we get those for often less than $5.

The price tags on mobile are great for sure. I won't hesitate much paying $10 for games on the platform. I fail to see what is so great about Beglitched that would keep me glued to the screen for hours when I've already played other greater match-3 titles. But yeah, most of it comes down to personal preferences. I just wish people here in our thread would be more critical.

Oynox

Not sure how NimbleBit could go from their excellent Tiny Tower to the boring clicker-esque game Bit City is :(

I'm fine with puzzles games, and those four titles I mentioned are interesting, but it can also rub me the wrong way reading every single week, that "this puzzle game is the greatest," "this puzzle games does puzzles differently" etc. I would like to read more critical impressions, where we also get to hear about the not-so-great things about these games.
Implying there are not-so-great things to say.

I tend to only post about good games and stuff I like. I'm not in reviewer mode when I'm posting here. No time to waste on bad games; which in turn also helps curate the games discussed here. (i.e. 95% of games listed in the OTs tend to be paid premium titles)

True. Within the last few months, I've bought platformers, puzzlers, roguelikes, shmups, RPGs, interactive fiction, tactical strategy, adventure games, survival sim, and others. Racing, first/third person shooters, and hack-n-slash are really the main genres that dont get much play on mobile, for good reason of course. Outside of more arcadey style, racing games can be really hit and miss on mobile, while touch controls usually make 3D games really frustrating

That's why most ports arent Bully and GTA

Pachimari

I tend to only post about good games and stuff I like. I'm not in reviewer mode when I'm posting here. No time to waste on bad games; which in turn also helps curate the games discussed here. (i.e. 95% of games listed in the OTs tend to be paid premium titles)

Good games can also have flaws and bad things about them though. Would be nice if those were mentioned. I noticed on Touch Arcade not-so-great things are mentioned, were we either don't notice or we deal with it.

killercow

The price tags on mobile are great for sure. I won't hesitate much paying $10 for games on the platform. I fail to see what is so great about Beglitched that would keep me glued to the screen for hours when I've already played other greater match-3 titles. But yeah, most of it comes down to personal preferences. I just wish people here in our thread would be more critical.

Apart from the weird universe in which it takes place, Beglitched also features more than just matching. The game features a Minesweeper-like overworld and a real layer of depth in its match-3 system with RPG-like upgrades, features and attack/defense mechanisms. It also gets even more complex after a while.

It's story-based too with no endless mode for now.

Outside of more arcadey style, racing games can be really hit and miss on mobile, while touch controls usually make 3D games really frustrating

That's why most ports arent Bully and GTA

Thank god for controller support for those! Too bad you can't require it or we'd get more ports like these...

Good games can also have flaws and bad things about them though. Would be nice if those were mentioned. I noticed on Touch Arcade not-so-great things are mentioned, were we either don't notice or we deal with it.

While we do tend to talk about the positive things for each game, I think we also mention the negative aspects of those. I remember stuff like Mario's price to content ratio or even, on this page, Bit City, not being received too well. I have no problems mentioning flaws in good games but sometimes (like in Steamworld Dig or Severed) the good outweighs the bad so much that it's not even worth talking about it.

awp69

I also think some of it is that we often post mostly about the games we really like and recommend to others. And obviously buying mostly games we think we would enjoy.

But I don't think we'd hesitate to be critical. I know most people, for instance, have liked Pan Pan. But I've said here that I haven't been able to get into it because it's a little too obtuse and I guess I don't have as much patience to figure that stuff out. That's purely personal preference though.

Some just deserve praise. Like Mushroom 11 is fantastic and unlike any other puzzle platformer on iOS with touch probably being the best way to play it.

Pachimari

Apart from the weird universe in which it takes place, Beglitched also features more than just matching. The game features a Minesweeper-like overworld and a real layer of depth in its match-3 system with RPG-like upgrades, features and attack/defense mechanisms. It also gets even more complex after a while.

It's story-based too with no endless mode for now.

None of that sounds enticing, but again, personal preferences.

I do think I will buy Mushroom 11 and Kingdom: New Lands before the end of the campaign, to see what all the hush is about.

Oh sure, nothing is perfect. But for example, you mentioned earlier how you felt After The End was too slowly paced and you wished the discussion was more criticial. But that's not some universal flaw. So others not mentioning a slow pace doesnt mean they're not being critical about the game. That applies for many aspects of games and genres

Top Bottom