• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
OP updated with a few minor things for the two newest games and FAQ section added. Also included length in edit message to show how much (little) room there is to work with right now with regards to adding more stuff. Maybe time to move some of the text into more images.

I think Etrian Odyssey X Mystery Dungeon should get a mention as well.

omlet

For now, I fit MDxEO into the FAQ part for now with a link to the thread L~A made yesterday.

I feel you can cut the classes section, or replace it with a bunch of pictures.

As for classes section, I kind of hate to toss out all the nice banners after DandyCroc worked on them!. That said, that section is rather large, over 7000 characters. I'd kind of hate to just cut the entire section because people new to the series might find the overview helpful, but I'm definitely open to ideas for condensing it. Maybe like group them by game and remove some/all of the description text?

Any new(er)comers to the series have an opinion on the usefulness of the class section? Us old EO farts don't really need it, it's there for you young'n's.

spiritfox

For now, I fit MDxEO into the FAQ part for now with a link to the thread L~A made yesterday.

As for classes section, I kind of hate to toss out all the nice banners after DandyCroc worked on them!. That said, that section is rather large, over 7000 characters. I'd kind of hate to just cut the entire section because people new to the series might find the overview helpful, but I'm definitely open to ideas for condensing it. Maybe like group them by game and remove some/all of the description text?

Any new(er)comers to the series have an opinion on the usefulness of the class section? Us old EO farts don't really need it, it's there for you young'n's.

I say you leave the paragraph and remove all the text below the images, leaving just the images.

Zweizer

Banned
You could also put the text in the images themselves.

As for EO x MD, maybe a special or crossover section? Just putting it in the FAQ doesn't feel right as it's still a game with the Etrian Odyssey brand, and there might be similar collaborations in the future.

omlet

I say you leave the paragraph and remove all the text below the images, leaving just the images.
That would save space but just the images with no context looks weird to me when previewing.

You could also put the text in the images themselves.
Maybe I'll check with Dandy about designing fewer, larger images to include class stuff. Moving the text into images would cut about 6000 characters from the post which would be nice, plenty of room to expand other sections.

As for EO x MD, maybe a special or crossover section? Just putting it in the FAQ doesn't feel right as it's still a game with the Etrian Odyssey brand, and there might be similar collaborations in the future.
Yeah, I will when there is room, like make another heading under the main entries and I'll include PQ, too, since it's kind of in the same boat (EO game with Persona skin).

The bright future of Etrian Odyssey: anime trope DLC.

Looking forward to the Beach Episode and the Festival Episode.

Naked Chloe you say?

The other DLC is a money grinding one, huh. I'm pretty poor right now, and still not quite understand how food selling works. But the DLC looks useless at end game.

Now all we need is for EOV to be a mobile exclusive so we can it a day, close the thread, and mass suicide.

I also wish we had male portraits, not everyone is a straight male, Atlus! I feel conflicted about the DLC, I like to give my favorite series monies but at the same time I don't like to support this kind of DLC... unless the bath stuff is actually cool and not just the portraits.

The other DLC is a money grinding one, huh. I'm pretty poor right now, and still not quite understand how food selling works. But the DLC looks useless at end game.

Money grinding? There's always a way to get easy money but I'm not sure what you can do in Untold 2.

PK Gaming

At this point, I'd just recommend playing them in release order starting with IV onwards. Each game adds enough usability enhancements that make playing much more convenient. Even just going from IV to Untold, the game speeds up so much more, making IV seem really, really slow.

There are enough subjective differences between the originals and the remakes to warrant going back (the most obvious being that the dungeon designs are completely different), but as a first exposure, I'd just go with the remakes at this point.

Did you ever get the first Untold?

I haven't played Untold yet (It was a jump ball between EOIV and Untold). It's definitely on my to-play list though!

EO3 holds up well IMO, interface & design would feel familiar if you were coming from EO4, also the music was without a doubt my overall favourite. I would have liked to hear FM versions of EO4 music - could have tipped it in its favour. The only really noticeable difference would be the graphics and if that bothers you enough wait for the remake.

The first game really benefited from the remake - the original was poor; no strafing, clunky menu system and laggy map drawing made the game more of a chore.

EO2 is an odd one, the game was difficult but fair: Map making was not as quick as EO3, certain designs are different (no FOE exp, no dual classes, no secondary 'quest') and leveling a new party is slower than in new games (no quick EXP like new games) but it didn't need a remake IMO, but I can see how some would appreciate a remake.

Ah, I might have to hunt down a copy of EO3 from ebay then. I really want to play all of the main games in the series, so I plan on going through Untold, then the EO2 remake, and hopefully by then i'll have secured a copy of EO3.

Zweizer

Banned
I can only hope it provides something worthwhile at all levels of the games rather than something only useful early in the game.

It'll only be available when you reach the 12th floor, and recommends you to be level 27 at least.

There will almost certainly be more DLCs to come, and if they're going with the Fire Emblem: Awakening route for them I hope they'll at least give us something similar to Apotheosis.

IS kmew exactly what they were doing~

Well there is an assorted quest with it so... maybe?

hopefully.

It'll only be available when you reach the 12th floor, and recommends you to be level 27 at least.There will almost certainly be more DLCs to come, and if they're going with the Fire Emblem: Awakening route for them I hope they'll at least give us something similar to Apotheosis.

I hope it's a challenge or at least interesting, but that sounds good at least. Even if whatever you get from the quest will be useless for the end game.

It'll only be available when you reach the 12th floor, and recommends you to be level 27 at least.

There will almost certainly be more DLCs to come, and if they're going with the Fire Emblem: Awakening route for them I hope they'll at least give us something similar to Apotheosis.
Ahh, well that makes me feel a bit better about it then.

I played and beaten EO1 years ago and thought it was fun romp. Granted I cheesed most of the early game exploiting poison damage on Alchemists spells to kill FOEs, but it was still pretty challenging.

I tried EO2 later but I found it to be more of the same so I skipped it.

I got EO4 on my 3DS in a eshop sale months ago but I stopped playing it early on. I guess my team build sucks or something but I'm barely managing dungeons like I did in the first game. I guess the lack of cheesy skills like the all the poison and defence buffing skills from EO1 are mostly gone.

Zweizer

Banned
I hope it's a challenge or at least interesting, but that sounds good at least. Even if whatever you get from the quest will be useless for the end game.

You're not going to bring Arianna and Chloe in swimsuits for the endgame?

Watch as these special portraits confer stats bonuses.

I'm fine with the Untold series' story mode and anime tropey stuff, but I really hope EOV is clean of all that kind of stuff. D:

injurai

Banned
I've never seen so many animu avys in a thread :3

What is the best place to start in this series? I have a DS and 3DS.

Zweizer

Banned
I've never seen so many animu avys in a thread :3

What is the best place to start in this series? I have a DS and 3DS.

III, IV or Untold are the best games to start out with, as they have the most refined mechanics and friendlier difficulty curves (IV in particular). Personally I'd suggest you begin with Untold classic mode (or the first game outright if the clunkier and somewhat outdated mechanics and balance don't deter you) as it has the best introduction to the setting of the Etrian Odyssey games, which has influences in the later installments.

Gotta legitimize the purchase with stat bonuses!

Untold 2 is gonna introduce the charisma stat, which influences the prices at shops and decreases enemies' performance.

So is EO 3, the second worst game in the series behind 4.

It's still better than most other games out there but man, it's got some questionable design decisions all around.

Why are you doing this to me, it's because the games aren't difficult or what?

God bless Expert mode.

Money grinding? There's always a way to get easy money but I'm not sure what you can do in Untold 2.

I wonder if the cooking, marketing, selling system is a faster way to get profit, still too early to tell. By the way, I changed Chloe's class to medic, her force break is kind of overpowered.

Anustart

Killed the Sand Leviathan and now it's back into maze 5. Still really enjoying the game, and now I'm glad 5 was announced!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why are you doing this to me, it's because the games aren't difficult or what?

God bless Expert mode.

Things that bug me about three.

1. I don't like subclassing in this series. When they first announced three I was so excited. Subclasses are one of my favorite things in RPGS and EO is one of my favorite series. Two great things that go great together? In execution though it both made things too complex on the surface and instead of expanding the really viable classes at the end by taking a bit from here and there it dramatically shrunk the options down to about 4 or 5 really great builds and then a bunch of sub optimal ones. 4 does fix this by having more balanced classes to begin with and many more builds that work just fine, though part of it is because it's a dramatically easier game.

2. I really don't like the story. Too much talking about this boring, boilerplate plot (it's better than 4's even worse attempt at it) It's not cool or mysterious like 1/2 at all. It's overly chatty, not very well written, and goes on too long.

3. I find most of the new classes to be awful. I pretty much only like Princess and Buccaneer (and the rebranded Alchemist was fine too, but barely a new class) while the rest just fell flat. Super disappointed in Monk, Farmer, Beast Tamer, Robot and not overly fond of the rest.

EO IV is even worse because while it has better classes it is also far too easy, has an even worse story and has those horrible sub dungeons and no real giant mega dungeon. It's a damn shame.

Not to be all doom and gloom there are some things I like about 3 and 4.

1. Princess is dope!
2. 6th slot shenanigans was also fun.
3. I like the sea map minigame and the way 3 did those extra boss fights for leveling.
4. I do like the revamped limit system of 3/4.
5. IV's demo is amazing.
6. I like shiny monsters...though maybe they are a bit too common.
7. Subclassing did do a good job with how it handled additional weapons.

I think subclassing and the awful stories are here to stay but I hope against hope that 5 only has one giant dungeon and an actual honest hard mode. I'll be settled with that.

Killed the Sand Leviathan and now it's back into maze 5. Still really enjoying the game, and now I'm glad 5 was announced!

Maze 5 is sooo good. I'm glad you liked the game a lot, are you thinking on diving into other titles of the series after finishing with 4?

Things that bug me about three.

1. I don't like subclassing in this series. When they first announced three I was so excited. Subclasses are one of my favorite things in RPGS and EO is one of my favorite series. Two great things that go great together? In execution though it both made things too complex on the surface and instead of expanding the really viable classes at the end by taking a bit from here and there it dramatically shrunk the options down to about 4 or 5 really great builds and then a bunch of sub optimal ones. 4 does fix this by having more balanced classes to begin with and many more builds that work just fine, though part of it is because it's a dramatically easier game.

2. I really don't like the story. Too much talking about this boring, boilerplate plot (it's better than 4's even worse attempt at it) It's not cool or mysterious like 1/2 at all. It's overly chatty, not very well written, and goes on too long.

3. I find most of the new classes to be awful. I pretty much only like Princess and Buccaneer (and the rebranded Alchemist was fine too, but barely a new class) while the rest just fell flat. Super disappointed in Monk, Farmer, Beast Tamer, Robot and not overly fond of the rest.

EO IV is even worse because while it has better classes it is also far too easy, has an even worse story and has those horrible sub dungeons and no real giant mega dungeon. It's a damn shame.

Not to be all doom and gloom there are some things I like about 3 and 4.

1. Princess is dope!
2. 6th slot shenanigans was also fun.
3. I like the sea map minigame and the way 3 did those extra boss fights for leveling.
4. I do like the revamped limit system of 3/4.
5. IV's demo is amazing.
6. I like shiny monsters...though maybe they are a bit too common.
7. Subclassing did do a good job with how it handled additional weapons.

I think subclassing and the awful stories are here to stay but I hope against hope that 5 only has one giant dungeon and an actual honest hard mode. I'll be settled with that.

1. I'm not the biggest fan of subclassing, but Atlus creating Grimoires is even worse, holy shit what were they thinking. And it was fine in 4, in 3 there was some awful shit like Princess/Monk being shit compared to Monk/Princess. That didn't happen at all in 4.

2. I like the story, I do agree than 1 and 2 were more about the atmosphere and it's great, but 3 is just a game I love so much, I felt like it was the right amount of story and that we didn't need a fucking STORY mode.

3. Awful classes? 3? I can't. At least we agree that Princess is love.

EO4 would be perfect if it wasn't so god damn easy, gimme an Expert mode please.

I try to stay positive about this series, but I won't lie, the direction it has and continues to take isn't something I love... Floor Jump, Picnic Mode, Story Mode, DLC... sigh. I'm happy that the MD game and EO5 got announced at least.

scy

In execution though it both made things too complex on the surface and instead of expanding the really viable classes at the end by taking a bit from here and there it dramatically shrunk the options down to about 4 or 5 really great builds and then a bunch of sub optimal ones.

So the same thing for EO2 except without subclasses? There's only a few options there, barring one-slot wonders that cover the rest (e.g., Painless spam). Though I do agree that their quest for more "balance" across the board led themselves to less and less difficult design.

That and most the boss fights became strict rotational based where EO1/EO2 had a lot of X/Y/Z% chances per turn instead. And then weird things like Ur-Child's day/night differences that were just ... whatever.

EO4 would be perfect if it wasn't so god damn easy, gimme an Expert mode please.

I have high hopes for PQ's Risky mode helping for future games. Please. I beg of it.

Top Bottom