• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTC

Yep--it's rural whites. Republicans know they'll get voted for by this group no matter what, so they ignore it. In the rural Midwest it is running rampant. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin. It's at crazy levels.

Rural whites actually tend to be the most elastic group in the country. Look at how states like Montana, upstate New York, etc. can swing in a given election, or look at how people like Heitkamp can somehow still win elections in North Dakota. Also rural whites in Vermont randomly voting in republicans and progressives in the same election or rural whites in Maine voting independents all the time. 2008 Obama did far far better than 2016 Hillary in rural areas, but there wasn't as much of a difference in suburban and urban areas. Also look at how hard Trump has fallen in approvals in rural areas.

Trump is making a big mistake not doing anything about opoids, although I don't think it will hurt him that much.

Rural whites lean republican pretty hard, but they tend to be lot more swingy than suburban or urban. The difference between +30 R and +15 R can be pretty big.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Trump probably saw a retired general criticize him on CNN so he told some idiot like Miller to come up with a way to stop that from happening.

Kevinroc

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yep--it's rural whites. Republicans know they'll get voted for by this group no matter what, so they ignore it. In the rural Midwest it is running rampant. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin. It's at crazy levels.

It's not that - it's the same general "fuck the non coasts" that's been running through this country for 30 years. The same lack of care that spawned NAFTA and most globalization-era trade deals spawns the same thing here. If it doesn't impact the coasts heavily, no one particularly seems to want to do more than pay it lip service. (see how modern farm subsidies are laid out for instance)

Also, do people just not read the replies or is it too easy to freak out? The EO is nothing. It's a red-tape change.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It's not that - it's the same general "fuck the non coasts" that's been running through this country for 30 years. The same lack of care that spawned NAFTA and most globalization-era trade deals spawns the same thing here. If it doesn't impact the coasts heavily, no one particularly seems to want to do more than pay it lip service. (see how modern farm subsidies are laid out for instance)

I guess so. Republicans haven't really helped rural whites in quite some time. Health care plans would have crushed them. Tax plan hurts them. Ignoring opioid hurts them. They know they'll still turn out to vote.

Niger Ambush Came After ‘Massive Intelligence Failure,' Source Says

WASHINGTON — A senior congressional aide who has been briefed on the deaths of four U.S. servicemen in Niger says the ambush by militants stemmed in part from a "massive intelligence failure."

The Pentagon has said that 40 to 50 militants ambushed a 12-man U.S. force in Niger on Oct. 4, killing four and wounding two. The U.S. patrol was seen as routine and had been carried out nearly 30 times in the six months before the attack, the Pentagon has reported.

The aide, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak publicly, said the House and Senate armed services committees have questions about the scope of the U.S. mission in Niger, and whether the Pentagon is properly supporting the troops on the ground there.

There was no U.S. overhead surveillance of the mission, he said, and no American quick-reaction force available to rescue the troops if things went wrong. If it weren't for the arrival of French fighter jets, he said, things could have been much worse for the Americans.

Congress also has many unanswered questions about what happened, he said, including about the specifics of the mission that day and the accounts lawmakers have been given about the timeline of the attack and rescue.

The aide said questions are being asked about whether the U.S. soldiers were intentionally delayed in the village they were visiting. He said they began pursuing some men on motorcycles, who lured them into a complex ambush. The enemy force had "technical" vehicles — light, improvised military vehicles — and rocket-propelled grenades, the official said.

After the rescue when it became clear that one soldier was missing, "movements and actions to try and find him and bring him back were considered. They just were not postured properly [to get him]." The body of Sgt. La David Johnson was not recovered until nearly 48 hours after the Oct. 4 attack.

The Pentagon said that conclusions about an intelligence failure were premature.

If Hilary was POTUS, odds of a congressional investigation?

Tamanon

Banned
Ah, this is why the retirement EO was issued.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-pilots-could-hurt-airline-staffin/785583001/

WASHINGTON — President Trump signed an executive order Friday allowing the Air Force to recall as many as 1,000 retired pilots to active duty to address a shortage in combat fliers, the White House and Pentagon announced.

By law, only 25 retired officers can be brought back to serve in any one branch. Trump's order removes those caps by expanding a state of national emergency declared by President George W. Bush after 9/11, signaling what could be a significant escalation in the 16-year-old global war on terror.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Let me guess, they're short fliers because Trump massively expanded stuff that Obama's admin was previously vetoing?

A few years ago the military went through a RIF (Reduction in Force) and a lot of aviators in the USAF ran for the doors because the airlines were also going through a period where a lot of senior pilots were retiring and they were having a hiring boom

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
A few years ago the military went through a RIF (Reduction in Force) and a lot of aviators in the USAF ran for the doors because the airlines were also going through a period where a lot of senior pilots were retiring and they were having a hiring boom

Yeah. Hard to turn down 300k+ benefits + free travel + working 2 weeks a month.

PKrockin

More Americans lack health insurance since Trump became president

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/19/num...nsurance-up-since-trump-became-president.html
That sounds like a poor comparison, considering Trump's inauguration came just a month after the 2016 enrollment period ended and right now we are just before 2017's enrollment period. From my understanding of how it works, people have not yet had the chance to sign up for health insurance since Trump's inauguration.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Hard to turn down 300k+ benefits + free travel + working 2 weeks a month.

Especially when people were reaching the point in their lives where they were either starting their own families or wanting to start their own families, but they found themselves deployed more days out of a year than they were at home.

Ogodei

People's posts about Trump have all but stopped on my Facebook. I think his supporters are too embarrassed and maybe a little disappointed with how he turned out.

Yeah i remember a lot of fights i got into in January from people i haven't heard a peep from since then (except one guy who came out from under his bridge to "ask questions" about Antifa in the middle of August). Only one of 'em blocked me, the rest just got less eager for some reason...

So Kelly used his sons name and his own credibility to publicly lie and give cover to Trump and call him “brave”. The terrifying thing is how the media was calling him authoritative and sincere, almost giving him props even though his statement was pure bullshit. All he is is a more serious sounding Spicer 2.0 when he’s in the press room, and if he has a soul he’ll look back on what happened yesterday as a deeply embarrassing and shameful point in his life.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Plumbob

I want democrats all over this. I want this in ads on all airwaves running up to 2018. There is no cover or excuse for this. This is on Trump. Could be devastating for his perception with military families as well as independents.

I understand "the buck stops with the president" but what did Trump do wrong?

Plumbob

When you're the president you are responsible even if you didn't personally do something wrong. That's the whole point of that saying.

Yeah but during and after Benghazi PoliGAF was willing to give Obama some leeway. I was too. Like how is preventing the death of four people within the scope of presidential duties?

t9NSj0O.jpg

The chyron writers are on a roll today.

wutwutwut

Yeah but during and after Benghazi PoliGAF was willing to give Obama some leeway. I was too. Like how is preventing the death of four people within the scope of presidential duties?
I do think Obama (and HRC) get some of the blame for Benghazi. The problem was always with the absurd political response and the general belief among the public that one mistake means you should be fired.

At my job I'm in a position of (much smaller, but still serious) responsibility. I make mistakes. I dont get fired — I learn from them. This is how people and institutions get better.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I understand "the buck stops with the president" but what did Trump do wrong?
Chad pulled their forces out of helping us in Niger, explicitly due to Trump's shitty travel ban. The investigation into what happened is just starting, but I've heard rumblings that the mercenaries who botched the evacuation were stand ins for the Chad forces that just pulled out. They may have been more involved.

Kevinroc

That sounds like a poor comparison, considering Trump's inauguration came just a month after the 2016 enrollment period ended and right now we are just before 2017's enrollment period. From my understanding of how it works, people have not yet had the chance to sign up for health insurance since Trump's inauguration.

Trump's inauguration was just before 2017's enrollment period ended. And he stopped ads for 2017's enrollment in its crucial final days.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-white-house-obamacare-ads-234245

Like how is preventing the death of four people within the scope of presidential duties?

The president generally shouldn't be authorizing operations based on very poor or nonexistent intel unless the mission is important. Part of Trump's foreign policy rhetoric since the campaign trail was "taking the military off the leash" and increasing use of force with no concern as to the casualties.

We're still missing lots of information about this incident, but it appears to fit within in a broader pattern of behavior for Trump.

Chumly

The president generally shouldn't be authorizing operations based on very poor or nonexistent intel unless the mission is important. Part of Trump's foreign policy rhetoric since the campaign trail was "taking the military off the leash" and increasing use of force with no concern as to the casualties.

We're still missing lots of information about this incident, but it appears to fit within in a broader pattern of behavior for Trump.
This. I have to wonder Since the White House is hiding information if it has to do with trumps orders to take on riskier missions with less intel.

Obama’s big thing was that he only wanted to give the go ahead when it was super safe and with high intelligence.

It's extremely difficult to read Trump transcripts. I have to re-read it like 3x because he's so fucking stupid and incoherent. You'd think i'd be used to it by now, but it still pisses me off.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's extremely difficult to read Trump transcripts. I have to re-read it like 3x because he's so fucking stupid and incoherent. You'd think i'd be used to it by now, but it still pisses me off.
Alexandra Erin on Twitter does all of her Trump speech and interview analysis based on transcripts instead of recordings because in the recordings your brain sort of fills in the gaps because its desperately trying to make it all make sense, but when you see it written down its laid bare how absolutely incoherent it is

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Lol shitshow

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/after-trump-claim-white-house-still-lacked-casualty-list

In the hours after President Donald Trump said on an Oct. 17 radio broadcast that he had contacted nearly every family that had lost a military servicemember this year, the White House was hustling to learn from the Pentagon the identities and contact information for those families, according to an internal Defense Department email.

The email exchange, which has not been previously reported, shows that senior White House aides were aware on the day the president made the statement that it was not accurate — but that they should try to make it accurate as soon as possible, given the gathering controversy.

Not only had the president not contacted virtually all the families of military personnel killed this year, the White House did not even have an up-to-date list of those who had been killed.

Just got to see a Gillespie ad since i'm watching Washington on League Pass - the ominous music as he ties Northam voting for sanctuary cities to putting Virginians in danger because of MS-13 gang members was a nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom