• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pyre |OT| We Carry The Fire

Trey

I got through the tutorial rite and then two more, only loosing one goal because I wasn't focused enough. I like the combat well enough so far. I hope it gets more difficult, though I've heard it will especially towards the end. I'm not looking forward to my first loss, that's for sure.

Rukey is the best. The other characters are good too, but I really like his personality, right now.

You can increase the difficulty in the menu.

About an hour in when you
name your first new party member, one of the choices has a hilarious text box. Mirrors my thoughts when I saw the name possibility exactly

Xe4

Banned
You can increase the difficulty in the menu.

About an hour in when you
name your first new party member, one of the choices has a hilarious text box. Mirrors my thoughts when I saw the name possibility exactly

I know I can increase the difficulty, but seeing as there's no game over state, I want it to be a challenge but not too difficult. To barely win each game, and loose the occasional one. If the current difficulty doesn't lead to that pretty soon, I'll bump the difficulty.

Early game mild spoilers:
What did you name her? My mind went imminently to either Faye or May, so I eventually went with Fae.

Trey

I know I can increase the difficulty, but seeing as there's no game over state, I want it to be a challenge but not too difficult. To barely win each game, and loose the occasional one. If the current difficulty doesn't lead to that pretty soon, I'll bump the difficulty.

Early game mild spoilers:
What did you name her? My mind went imminently to either Faye or May, so I eventually went with Fae.

Bae the Bloodless

Truant

Played for 30 minutes.

Eh, the battle system is OK so far. Not really feeling it. I'm mostly running around with one character, so maybe that's why. The world is super cool though, but I feel very constricted in that you can't explore freely. A more open RPG in this setting would have been awesome.

Gaz_RB

Damn, going out of town tomorrow. Wish this was on Switch

/portbegging.

Listening to the OST at work. Can't wait to play this tonight.

Trey

Team Stache, definitely.

This game is phenomenal. The combat is starting to open up, and the options the game provides you are impressive. You can tell transistor's design influenced a lot of what's going on here, but the action is faster paced.

Hektor

Played the game for nigh 3 hours straight and am very convinced SuperGiant did it again.

The game is very unique and weird, i can certainly say that i haven't quite plaed something liek it yet.

The art is incredibly gorgeus and the characters very fun written, the soundtrack is a bit less pronounced than in the past games but so far had some really good tracks nonetheless.

I also really dig the combat as someone who usually hates sports game.

Only thing i'm questioning so far is the story, as there hasn't been a lot of it yet outside of worldbuilding.

Burt

I'm through 5-6 rites so far (about to go into
the Sea of Solis
, and it's pretty good. Aesthetic is incredible, and the world seems interesting. Pacing is solid, although there are times that I'd prefer to just get on with the next battle rather than have to go through more story, and more introductions, and more new mechanics, and more conversations, etc. Not that any of that stuff is bad, but it wouldn't hurt to have a little more room to breathe outside of self-imposed training battles.

The rites themselves are fun, but a little easy. The character classes all feel great and provide enough options and diversity that I'd love to see what people would do in an online multiplayer mode. As is, the CPU at highest difficulty in Versus mode was just about right.

Mudo

Not sure if i want this or not - reviews sound great my one question though is can you actually walk around i. the game or is it all an overworke map, conversations and battles? If there is 0 exploration/walking around/towns etc i may not dig it.

Zackat

3/3.

This game is great. I understand why there isn't online multiplayer but damn it would be fun.

I also love Jodariels design. Wonderful.

Hektor

Not sure if i want this or not - reviews sound great my one question though is can you actually walk around i. the game or is it all an overworke map, conversations and battles? If there is 0 exploration/walking around/towns etc i may not dig it.

The bolded

~Kinggi~

Banned
One of the reviews said the last 2/3rds of the gameplay was a "spoiler". What does that mean? Someone want to tell me what that gameplay is?

Trey

My boy
Ti'zo is the little kamikaze bird thing that could
. I love how much characterization there is in the way these characters control during rites.

The way the skills synergize as you get more of them and more nightwing members is dope. Rites become frantic on heightened difficulty.

Doombear

I have never played a game that poured such style out. What a beautiful, beautiful experience this is so far. I mean that compliment to cover not just the art and look, but the writing, the music, the characters.... the world and it's history, the narrator. All of it are simply stunning to take in.

I immediately thought of this topic too - Who's llustrator work you want to see in video game form? - and this hits so many notes for me. Mœbius, Killian Eng, Brandon Graham. Simply amazing visuals.

I know that people are just as excited to dive in to the OST for your games, Supergiant, but I would love to have a book on my shelves containing the artwork of Jen Zee, Camilo Vanegas and Josh Barnett. Also, I see that Final Fantasy Tactics listed as a favorite of both Jen's and Josh's. It just gets better and better =P

Thanks Supergiant, for this wonderful thing in my eyeballs.

My boy
Ti'zo is the little kamikaze bird thing that could
. I love how much characterization there is in the way these characters control during rites.

The way the skills synergize as you get more of them and more nightwing members is dope. Rites become frantic on heightened difficulty.
Ti'zo's portal skill is a gamechanger

Rodelero

Yeesh. Playing on the PS4 Pro and experiencing pretty crazy framerate issues that seem to be getting worse the further I go in. Anyone else getting this?

rog3r

Neo Member
Been playing for about 3 hours now and loving it. This was always a day 1 purchase for me based on the strength of Bastion and Transistor, but the art and aesthetic of this game makes it worth playing alone.

These guys are quickly becoming one of my favourites!

Doombear

Yeesh. Playing on the PS4 Pro and experiencing pretty crazy framerate issues that seem to be getting worse the further I go in. Anyone else getting this?

Not that I have noticed yet, but I'm near the beginning still. That said, I did just experience a crash on my Pro. Game froze during the first Howler Raid and then crashed out of the game entirely. Seems to have auto saved just before the raid. Hope it doesn't happen often.

GavinUK86

Played about 2 hours of it on PC so far. Really like it.

Not completely sold on the "combat" system though. I seem to be just sprinting for the orb at the beginning, scoring, then repeat ad nauseam until I win.

Should I be doing more with the other characters?

When an enemy goes for a character you don't currently have control of, should I pass the ball to them to move them out of the way or just leave them to be banished? You can't move them without them having the orb can you?

Oh, btw, (after the first rite spoiler)
told Rukey to keep the 'stache and named the girl Shae because I thought the name suited her the most

samred

Got my Ars review up one day after the review embargo, cuz I wanted more time to write it out. It got one of our Ars Approved stickers (we don't do scores). My review is spoiler free.

Pointing out one warning in my review:

When playing a two-player skirmish, all characters are unlocked, whether or not you have beaten the campaign. That's spoilery enough (though the characters are hidden here), but be warned: as of press time, this selection screen also unlocks all of their backstories, which can ruin some plot beats.

I had one really cool story spoiled by tapping "up" on the d-pad while testing the skirmish mode. DON'T DO IT if you intend on beating the quest. The full roster isn't REALLY a spoiler, but if you fear seeing any characters before meeting them in the campaign, this mode isn't for you. Plenty of other thoughts in my review. I love this game.

Doombear

PC it's a known bug other people showing up having it too and they're already working on it. Just sucks. to buy something and just have to wait until it's fixed.

Absolutely. I am sorry to hear that =( That would indeed suck quite a lot. I hope they get a fix out quickly so you aren't sidelined for long. Unfortunate that you are at all though.

I've played for a couple of hours now and I feel it's a lot like Transistor where I love everything but the easy difficulty betrays the interesting mechanics.

Trey

I've played for a couple of hours now and I feel it's a lot like Transistor where I love everything but the easy difficulty betrays the interesting mechanics.

you can increase the difficulty in the menus. I smacked the first rite, increased the difficulty to heightened afterward, and have had challenging but fair matches ever since. The biggest difference i notice is that adversaries will banish your idle members more often - pretty much whenever they can.

Got my Ars review up one day after the review embargo, cuz I wanted more time to write it out. It got one of our Ars Approved stickers (we don't do scores). My review is spoiler free.

nicely written

Haven't started up the game yet, but I'm listening to the soundtrack... Jesus, I don't know how this guy keeps consistently putting out such amazing music.

Stoze

I agree, unfortunately, and I'm playing on the hardest difficulty. This is apparently at least double the length of Transistor though, so it does have the chance to ramp the combat to catch up to the pace of the new party members, charms, and abilities it's throwing at you.

Still really enjoying it.

Nilua

Played for 40 minutes and I'm already feeling it. Supergiant nailed it again. The worldbuilding and writing is so great and creative, I want to know more about these characters and setting.

And the gameplay is actually pretty fun, I just need to see how it will increase in complexity.

Played for just under 2 hours and im ready to refund it. The music, art style and story have me interested but the gameplay is so repetitive and boring I just cant continue playing. Flame me all you want but this is the definition of an over hyped game. And I did enjoy the hell out of Bastion and Transistor so I was really looking forward to Pyre.

Edit: I meant over hyped as in people in this thread calling it GoTY and it getting 9+'s on certain review sites. It's really nothing special in terms of the gameplay.

taoofjord

Played for just under 2 hours and im ready to refund it. The music, art style and story have me interested but the gameplay is so repetitive and boring I just cant continue playing. Flame me all you want but this is the definition of an over hyped game. And I did enjoy the hell out of Bastion and Transistor so I was really looking forward to Pyre.

Overhyped? I thought the game received minimal coverage?

At 3 hours now, about the character group and their dynamics:

I'm in love with the fact that there is a complete lack of hatred and mistrust between the main cast. Usually in entertainment, any group of "friends" or "family" or whoever will have shouting matches, stab each other in the back, lie to each other and generally distrust each other in every way. And still for w/e reason the group/family stays together even though they obviously are miserable. Like, there never are any positive emotions between most of the game/film/TV casts I see. Closest you come is apologies after fights and sex with the hot person.

It's so refreshing to see positive emotions dominate when many TV series, movies and games seem to be wallowing in negative emotions.

Top Bottom