• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 3DS to get right analog stick dongle, relaunch 2012 w/ new name [Updated]

Doesn't look that bad...

still the idea behind it is just sad. There will be a version of the 3ds with this built in and thus smart folks will wait and the system will continue to disappoint.

Nintendo botched this system launch and this comes off as a panic move. If Sony was smart (lawl) they could take advantage and move in on that jilted Nintendo fan market and take some costumers...not win because Nintendo has Pokemon and Mario to save their ass but damn.

I probably will buy this shit and be a part of the problem but if I didn't have a 3ds (and I only have one because a friend was selling his for a 100 bucks) I would wait for the inevitable redesign with this built in.

Should have done that in the first place. Rushing it fucked up everything.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
LuchaShaq said:
Not to be a dick but I can't feel bad for anyone who paid an insane price for a console that was predicated on awful 3d, overpriced remakes, and overpriced shovelware like RE.

If no 3d in the 2012 version and it's 150$ I might consider it.
resident evil is shovelware?

^^^^

System warrior drinking the hatorade.

chickdigger802 said:
Some info for people that haven't screwed around with the 3ds battery.

This 'cradle' doesn't have anything. Which means this is powered by magic, or 'streetpass'...
This cradle plugs into the power slot and presumably has a battery inside that it connects in parallel to the battery inside the system, reducing the load on each (or providing a backup so that the internal battery isn't used at all, a la plugging in the unit). Basically, it's an extra as opposed to a replacement battery.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
This cradle plugs into the power slot and presumably has a battery inside that it connects in parallel to the battery inside the system, reducing the load on each (or providing a backup so that the internal battery isn't used at all, a la plugging in the unit). Basically, it's an extra as opposed to a replacement battery.

That's what I thought at first. But look at the pic carefully and notice the cutout at the top?

The power slot ain't touched!

Magic I tell you!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Andriasang noted that Tri G had 12 classes of weapons, which is twice what Tri had.

and, for the bonus, how many more MH3rd? I'm sure people who played Tri only will move over if the didn't pick up a PSP

Re: How many people bought 2nd G? A ton - but that's a same platform where you carry your character over and (most) your items. Which is sort of the point here.

Ultimately the point was : If there is even a remote hint that there's going to be a PSP 3rd G (surely there will be) then the impact of a 3DS MH G revision isn't going to send millions over to 3DS.

UNLESS of course they allow you to copy over save data from the PSP version .... (surely not? maybe they can!)

chickdigger802 said:
That's what I thought at first. But look at the pic carefully and notice the cutout at the top?

Magic I tell you!

Nintendo must have created a new Pikmin for this one.

Aquamarine Pikmin?

Kyoufu said:
Nintendo doing whatever it takes not to let Sony take MH on portables again.

Capcom doing whatever it takes to stick to PS2-generation MH graphics/gameplay. :lol
It's ... the perfect storm. :eek:

hauton

Spend $250 on a 3DS at launch

Get slapped in the face with an $80 price cut before the season's over

Now spend more money on an add-on that's practically essential because the next revision will have it built-on

I'm glad I didn't support a greedy company selling $100 hardware for $250, on top of an already lucrative software business model.

gogojira

It looks a bit ugly, but I'm not really offended by this. It adds a second analog, which of course should have been there in the first place, but I'll actually probably appreciate the extra bulk.

The bottom line is the 3DS isn't my smartphone and I don't ever really carry it around, so size isn't an ordeal for me. I've got big large hands and holding most portables is fucking uncomfortable. If this Frankenstein attachment eases those cramps a bit, I'll be OK with it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It would kinda be ok if it's just for Monster Hunter, never sold separately, never used for other games, never put into revisions, or anything, like a Guitar is for Guitar Hero... But then again... Why would Nintendo make it just for that... And the placement of the stick is so shitty if it will have general use rather than just for Mon Hun. And it's so fucking ugly. And.What the fuck, Nintendo? If this is promoted like an update and a must have for the system in general and incorporated in revisions and has games that require it made, say like Motion Plus, well, it looks like I'll be waiting for the next gen to buy NTDOY because this one could be a disaster.

Ed: wrong thread.

chickdigger802 said:

Magic I tell you!
I don't have a unit in front of me, so I'll have to take your word for it. Holy waste of power via wireless if true.

Lol I can't believe this.
KuGsj.gif

How long long until the Nintendo faithful try and justify this monstrosity.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I don't have a unit in front of me, so I'll have to take your word for it. Holy waste of power via wireless if true.

lol you can see them in the scans. Bottom left pic shows the exposed power slot on the 3ds.

Is there an April fools equivalent in japan?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
chickdigger802 said:
lol you can see them in the scans. Bottom left pic shows the exposed power slot on the 3ds.

Is there an April fools equivalent in japan?
My guess: it will have it's own battery and it communicates with the 3DS via the IR port.

Rikkun

My, what a fun nightshift I had.

Also, my first "megaton" GAF thread.

I'll wait for Nintendo's word. Disgonbgud.gif

Duxxy3

Is anybody going to buy an original 3DS now that the circle pad attachment has been shown? Or just wait it out for a revision?

pramath

Banned
To all those claiming the 3DS will fail...
It now has Monster Hunter, Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Dragon Quest and Professor Layton all on one device... and you guys think it will fail?
Good luck with that.

Nicktals

Banned
hauton said:

Now spend more money on an add-on that's practically essential because the next revision will have it built-on

I'm glad I didn't support a greedy company selling $100 hardware for $250, on top of an already lucrative software business model.

Wait...Are you serious?

First, did you spend 250 on a 3ds at launch? Then you counteract your point of supporting a 'greedy company'.

So let me get this straight, you're saying that this greedy company planned to launch their console overpriced so that they could con a few saps into buying it. They didn't want to sell too many at that price, though, and that's why they cut the price so severely.

And this revision, well they're only doing that because they genuinely feel the system they released less than one year needs it, and not because a huge 3rd party put pressure on them to match certain requirements of rival systems in order to get a huge game.

And yeah, Nintendo is just banking on everything these days. Their amazing hardware lineup, and their software. That's why their shares are so high!

KingJ2002

Nicktals said:
Wait...Are you serious?

First, did you spend 250 on a 3ds at launch? Then you counteract your point of supporting a 'greedy company'.

So let me get this straight, you're saying that this greedy company planned to launch their console overpriced so that they could con a few saps into buying it. They didn't want to sell too many at that price, though, and that's why they cut the price so severely.

And this revision, well they're only doing that because they genuinely feel the system they released less than one year needs it, and not because a huge 3rd party put pressure on them to match certain requirements of rival systems in order to get a huge game.

And yeah, Nintendo is just banking on everything these days. Their amazing hardware lineup, and their software. That's why their shares are so high!

well... Nintendo released the 3DS to undercut the PSV and the smartphone market... DS sales were slowing down and apple was gaining speed and support from everyone.

they released a prototype at 250 dollars (yeah... it was a prototype... cleaned up a bit but not fully fleshed out in design of features)

people bought it... but not enough people cared because the hottest games for it were ports from home consoles... and people were already getting sick of the 3D gimmick

fast forward a bit...

Sony said "PSV is 299! (called it lol) and it comes with android and does a bunch of cool ish!" and that shook nintendo up a bit.

sales in the toilet and sony attacking from all sides (smartphone market, handheld market as well)

Nintendo dropped the price to boost sales... and apologized to early adopters

but thats not enough...

3DS is a negative in the mindshare of people... So Nintendo is going back to the drawing board on the console design.... Adding what should have been there day one and many other things to give the system a new outlook on life.

while early adopters have to either sell the system or deal with a slew of ugly add ons.

long story short....

Nintendo screwed up... they went from being the gaming equivalent of Apple to... well... i have no clue really... never seen nintendo like this.

I dont know if the 3DS can bounce back but Nintendo will need to do something to entice developers and get the consumers back on their side.

that 10 dollar monstrosity definitely wont do it... if anything it seems like the nail in the coffin until the re-design.

Rikkun

Duxxy3 said:
Is anybody going to buy an original 3DS now that the circle pad attachment has been shown? Or just wait it out for a revision?

Wow, didn't think about this.

I would wait. Or wait for a huge deal to play Mario under the Christmas tree.

But I would avoid the peripheral at all costs.

If I was clever.

:(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Considering what the thing looks like — too big, ugly — and adds (one stick, one button, possibly additional battery), this is clearly a stopgap measure until Nintendo releases a revision. I think 01net will be proved right about that too. Nintendo just released this add-on to coincide with the release of MH3G and to allow people who already bought the system to play future games without the need to buy the revision.

That explains the 20 free games.

10 free NES games = price drop apology. $5 a pop = $50 in value!

10 free GBA games = lol, wait until you see whats next

DeVeAn

This is so fucking ridiculous. Never have I seen this many changes is systems launch. Biggest mistake I made in my gaming venture getting a 3DS at launch. I have yet to complete Zelda OoT simply because I had played the game so many times before.

Super quick price cut, ugly ass add-on and potential complete redesign. A few other things that just compound my hate is the crap res on DS games and GB/GBC games. Horrible D-pad, loose hinges and screens being scratched.

The games they needed are too far off and the only reason I keep the damn thing is because I don't want to lose any more money since my DL games are tied to the system.

/vent over.

renitou

3DS didn't ascend to Heaven right out the gate, and I found it lackluster overall, but this seems like ludicrous overreaction from Nintendo, and actually scares me off the system more than anything.

I wasn't going to buy a 3DS any time soon, not until the games were flowing. But this kind of move undercuts my motivation to jump in even after the scales tip in that regard. Who knows what other crazy crap they're willing to throw at the wall after I'm locked into a piece of hardware? And not just better battery or new colors, but fundamental input changes that affect gameplay.

Yeek.

StevieP

Banned
hauton said:

Ignoring the rest of the blatant trolling in this post, the iSupply breakdown figure you're using is so notoriously wrong, and overused on these forums, it's ridiculous. At its current price, the 3DS is being sold for a loss.

Considering what the thing looks like — too big, ugly — and adds (one stick, one button, possibly additional battery), this is clearly a stopgap measure until Nintendo releases a revision. I think 01net will be proved right about that too. Nintendo just released this add-on to coincide with the release of MH3G and to allow people who already bought the system to play future games without the need to buy the revision.

In its current incarnation, it's a clusterfuck of bad design... it will be just that: a peripheral. Used for 1 game, or a small handful of titles like the balance board on Wii or the Kinect on the 360. Anything designed for the mass audience will be single analog and there will not be a complete system redesign to make it dual-analog. Kneejerk GAF at its best.

Alexios

StevieP said:
In its current incarnation, it's a clusterfuck of bad design... it will be just that: a peripheral. Used for 1 game, or a small handful of titles like the balance board on Wii or the Kinect on the 360. Anything designed for the mass audience will be single analog and there will not be a complete system redesign to make it dual-analog. Kneejerk GAF at its best.
I want it to be like this badly (except made purely for MH alone, not even any other games at all like the balance board), but have no reason to trust your guesses at this point :(

StevieP

Banned
Alextended said:
I want it to be like this badly (except made purely for MH alone, not even any other games at all like the balance board), but have no reason to trust your guesses at this point :(

It's a peripheral. That's how all peripherals go.
How many games use Move on the PS3?

So how long until we wait for news of a redesign?

I liked the explosions.

18-Volt

What worries me most is the 2012 relaunch part. If Nintendo wants the redesign 3DS to succeed, they needs to close the time gap between announcement and release as possible. They need to kill old 3DS as fastest they can (It has to die, I mean, this horrible thing...). Otherwise, within the time gap 3DS will become more and more irrevelant. Nobody will want make games for 3DS.

Raine

I can't see them alienating the userbase by coming out with a revision including a second analog. Then again, I couldn't see a $80 price drop within the first year of its release...

Blah, maybe I'll sell it and help pay for Vita. OoT was fun.

Alexios

StevieP said:
It's a peripheral. That's how all peripherals go.
How many games use Move on the PS3?
It's a peripheral that comes way too early with a huge game and potentially is added to a future revision, a revision that, if the system keeps selling, could far exceed the sales of systems without it. Also, Move is cool so I don't mind having quite a few games exclusive to it. This thing isn't cool. And even if some devs consider it an option they may do stupid things like make shitty controls for users without it thinking that the hardcore gamers who care about such things will get the add on anyway.

StevieP

Banned
Alextended said:
It's a peripheral that comes way too early with a huge game and potentially is added to a future revision, a revision that, if the system keeps selling, could far exceed the sales of systems without it.

Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves here? You could've stopped at "huge game" and that's what we know.

Alexios

StevieP said:
Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves here? You could've stopped at "huge game" and that's what we know.
So only you can make guesses about the future of this thing, nobody else?

If I just speak of the present then this thing isn't even worthy of discussion. I fear for what it will do to the platform and the brand because of its negative potential, not what it currently is, which is just a piece of paper with Famitsu on it. And that is what I express.

I've also expressed what I hope for its future before, which is similar to what you claimed. But I don't also pretend what I hope is the most likely scenario.

StevieP

Banned
Alextended said:
So only you can make guesses about the future of this thing, nobody else?

If I just speak of the present then this thing isn't even worthy of discussion. I fear for what it will do to the platform and the brand because of its potential, not what it currently is, which is just a piece of paper with Famitsu on it.

No, we can all make guesses. They're fun.
I'm just saying all we know is that it's a peripheral for Monster Hunter. Those are facts.

Guesses can range anywhere between "dumb-as-fuck-looking peripheral that will be forgotten after Capcom's game" to "alienating 15 million people and destroying the DS brand". But they're only guesses at this point.

CamHostage

I'm pretty well floored by this news seeming to be real. No game on 3DS so far as made me scream, "why no second stick", and although the PSP could have used a second nub, its problem was more about not having an alternative in touch or motion or camera to supplement that and thus a lot of kludges for camera; otherwise, no big deal, even in Super Stardust Portable. And the Monster Hunter games have obviously done just fine in the market with the same control set-up that 3DS has, so that couldn't have been a sticking point in Capcom bringing MH over. More and more games use the touchscreen these days, and the DS line has a great solution to problems that touchscreens tend to have (namely, no invisible fingers) so why Nintendo is racing in the opposite direction (good idea or not; I'm sure I'll find plenty of games I'll enjoy more with two sticks than one, but I don't see any revolution there), I'm just can't figure out.

Top Bottom