• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zelda TP spoiler thread: ALL SPOILERS IN HERE OR ELSE (late game spoilers itt)

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
TheGreatDave said:
Edge this month basically tells you everything up to the first dungeon. There's some nice stuff here, so I've typed it up. If it's old...damn.
Items:
Before the first dungeon, you will have: learned combat and horse riding, aquired a fishing rod and caught fish, got a slingshot, a lantern, and a "horseshoe-shaped reed" that calls Epona, and "bird shapped reeds" that call hawks to your arm, that you can throw at bees' nests or monkeys.

Story:
You rescue a couple of children and a monkey from moblins in the woods. Link's on his way to Hyrule to deliver a sword and shield. But shit, Moblins on boars attack, abducting "Colin" and Ilia, and Link gets dragged in to the Twilight, at which point he transforms in to a wolf. He wakes up chained in the ruins of Hyrule Castle, and Midna helps him escape.

With Midna on Wolf Link, you can attack multiple enemies at once with a circular energy around Link, kinda like the spin attack, which you have to do cos the enemies in the Twilight Realm often revive their dead buddies. Wolf Link then goes to meet Zelda, who can tell from the blue eyes that he's actually Hyrule's Savior! He then goes to the non-Twilight village, still as a wolf. People are scared of Wolf Link, but he can talk to animals. He then saves the nearly-Twilight Faron Woods by hunting down shadow insects and collecting the tears of light they've consumed, restoring Light Spirits, AKA Great Fairies. The Light Spirit then makes Link human again. You're then on your way to the first dungeon.

All that before the 1st dungeon? Wow.

And for what it's worth, they say that although it can be difficult getting used to the Wii controls, they say there's obviously only one version you should play. Oh, and apparently the soundtrack sounds as good as anything in Zelda before now, with the Twilight Realm music being "synthy", and Midna coming through the Wiimote apparently works well. They say that having three feet of wire between your hands rather than three inches of plastic feels very "free".

BTW, how long exactly did Edge have with the game? Are they going through the entire game or had a limited time period with it?

gamergirly said:
BTW, how long exactly did Edge have with the game? Are they going through the entire game or had a limited time period with it?

6 hours.

Apparently, it felt like 6 minutes, but there you go. They seemed very adamant that they'd barely seen any of the game.

TheGreatDave said:
6 hours.

Apparently, it felt like 6 minutes, but there you go. They seemed very adamant that they'd barely seen any of the game.

Did they have any opinions about the Wii controls?

EDIT: nm, reading comprehension ftw

MadraptorMan said:
Did they have any opinions about the Wii controls?

Basically, that it isn't as overwhelming as the E3 demo, where you're thrown right in the middle of it, and that you learn stuff gradually. But it can still prove a challenging and a bit frustrating at times. They did say that the pros of the controls greatly outweigh the cons, and spoke very highly of the use of the speaker and the freedom you get from having your hands so far apart. It apparently offers "tremendous tactile excitement".

Apparently, the Wii version is the must-have, and the wide screen has a big influence in this opinion.

Tritroid

TheGreatDave said:
Edge this month basically tells you everything up to the first dungeon. There's some nice stuff here, so I've typed it up. If it's old...damn.
Items:
Before the first dungeon, you will have: learned combat and horse riding, aquired a fishing rod and caught fish, got a slingshot, a lantern, and a "horseshoe-shaped reed" that calls Epona, and "bird shapped reeds" that call hawks to your arm, that you can throw at bees' nests or monkeys.

Story:
You rescue a couple of children and a monkey from moblins in the woods. Link's on his way to Hyrule to deliver a sword and shield. But shit, Moblins on boars attack, abducting "Colin" and Ilia, and Link gets dragged in to the Twilight, at which point he transforms in to a wolf. He wakes up chained in the ruins of Hyrule Castle, and Midna helps him escape.

With Midna on Wolf Link, you can attack multiple enemies at once with a circular energy around Link, kinda like the spin attack, which you have to do cos the enemies in the Twilight Realm often revive their dead buddies. Wolf Link then goes to meet Zelda, who can tell from the blue eyes that he's actually Hyrule's Savior! He then goes to the non-Twilight village, still as a wolf. People are scared of Wolf Link, but he can talk to animals. He then saves the nearly-Twilight Faron Woods by hunting down shadow insects and collecting the tears of light they've consumed, restoring Light Spirits, AKA Great Fairies. The Light Spirit then makes Link human again. You're then on your way to the first dungeon.
Interestingly enough...this is the exact same opening to Majora's Mask, give or take a few details.

Man, this is going to be the slowest 25 days of my life, I swear. I haven't been hyped this much for a game since...OoT. Thanks for the write ups, Dave.

Tritroid said:
Interestingly enough...this is the exact same opening to Majora's Mask, give or take a few details.

You sure(havent read the spoilers)?? Because that MEANS A LOT as to the whole "alternative" Link timeline thing

Tritroid

gamergirly said:
You sure(havent read the spoilers)?? Because that MEANS A LOT as to the whole "alternative" Link timeline thing
Well by the same I mean the plot details are the same, just for that portion of the game. This doesn't really affect the timelines.

it took them 6hrs to get to the first dungeon?
And there's 9 dungeons? and the overworld is as big to the gameplay as the dungeons?
JESUS! *faints*

DefectiveReject said:
it took them 6hrs to get to the first dungeon?
And there's 9 dungeons? and the overworld is as big to the gameplay as the dungeons?
JESUS! *faints*

As long as they've been working on the game, I expect it to be quite big.

As a European, I think I will just avoid GAF, or better, the entire Internet during two or three week, you know, while I patiently wait for the game to come here. Because no, absolutely no American asshole will ever manage to spoil any bit of this game before I get my hands on it. Do you hear me ?!! NO ONE
emotarghbm7.gif
!!

Oh, who the hell am I kidding. Nobody can quit the Internet like that>_< .

If you can you are a super-human. Or alternatively, you have an entirely satisfactory social life.

Nicktals

Banned
Yeah...that Edge writeup sounds awesome. God I'm gonna spoil this whole game. No willpower FTL. I decided I'm getting a Wii at launch, simply for this. It will be the first game I play, and I will probably take a day off work/school for it. I expect to have it beaten in about 4 days, averaging 10 hours a day.

I can not wait.

methodman

Banned
I don't really care if the game gets spoiled for me. I remember watching my cousin play through half of OOT, then I finally ended up getting it: It was still the amazing feeling that only Zelda games seem to give me.

Nicktals

Banned
Can I post my outlandish, crackpot plot idea, and put it in spoilers, just for shits and giggles?

Ganon rapes Zelda, and Midna is the daughter.....Or, for a slightly more plausible idea, Midna is simply Ganon's daughter. Ganon is trapped in some realm, Link is the only way to get him out, so Midna helps Link out, they free Ganon, then Link has to fight/kill Ganon and Midna.

Nicktals said:
Yeah...that Edge writeup sounds awesome. God I'm gonna spoil this whole game. No willpower FTL. I decided I'm getting a Wii at launch, simply for this. It will be the first game I play, and I will probably take a day off work/school for it. I expect to have it beaten in about 4 days, averaging 10 hours a day.

I can not wait.
You expect to finish the game in 40hrs?
Bearing in mind it takes 6hrs to get to the first dungeon (and maybe play that too) and there are 9 of these things, plus an over world that’s huge…..and you gotta fish. :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Nicktals

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
You expect to finish the game in 40hrs?
Bearing in mind it takes 6hrs to get to the first dungeon (and maybe play that too) and there are 9 of these things, plus an over world that’s huge…..and you gotta fish. :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

It took EDGE 6 hours to get to the first dungeon. I could be proved a fool here, but I really doubt it'll take more than 40-50 (I can always just pull a double shift on the final day!) to beat, going straight through. Of course I would continue playing, to do sidequests/fish.

Although really, now that you called me on it, I was lieing. I've never played a Zelda game straight through. I'm actually the type of person who cuts EVERY blade of grass, reads EVERY sign, talks to EVERY character...in all honesty, it'll probably take me ~80 hours. But that doesn't seem as cool now, does it?

methodman

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
I think Midna is Impa's Twilight form. Anyone else think so?

I don't think so, I thought Midna was a girl thing?

Why are you spoilering (is this even a word?) your text in a... spoilers only topic? If someone enters this thread and reads something they don't want, what are they going to say?

Nicktals said:
It took EDGE 6 hours to get to the first dungeon. I could be proved a fool here, but I really doubt it'll take more than 40-50 (I can always just pull a double shift on the final day!) to beat, going straight through. Of course I would continue playing, to do sidequests/fish.

Although really, now that you called me on it, I was lieing. I've never played a Zelda game straight through. I'm actually the type of person who cuts EVERY blade of grass, reads EVERY sign, talks to EVERY character...in all honesty, it'll probably take me ~80 hours. But that doesn't seem as cool now, does it?
Think Ninty are saying if like me (and you seem to be that type of gamer) you play the whole game through, you’re looking at 80hrs or so.
Add on to that as soon as I start fishing under a starry night sky in the rain, I just aint gonna play the rest of the game for a fair while!

Also due to Wii having that hours you played a game for counter thing built in, we can call anyone out on their finish times!!

methodman said:

Why are you spoilering (is this even a word?) your text in a... spoilers only topic? If someone enters this thread and reads something they don't want, what are they going to say?
This is GAF, home of the menopausal gamer type. They just love to moan, most of these guys yank their own chain just so they have something to moan about!!

6 hours to get to the first dungeon.... holy shit this game is going to be awesome. Maybe they weren't bullshitting about the game being 70 hours long.

AniHawk

Unfortunately, the game takes cues from Okami, and takes a minute for the text to fill an entire speech bubble.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
6 hours? I don't want to read the spoilers but I hope that doesn't mean 6 hours of sailing.

AniHawk said:
Unfortunately, the game takes cues from Okami, and takes a minute for the text to fill an entire speech bubble.
Oh that's what they do. :\ LET ME PRESS A TO SKIP TEXT LIKE EVERY OTHER ZELDA DAMMIT! I SWEAR I WON'T BUY THIS NOW.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Ganondorf>Link said:
6 hours to get to the first dungeon.... holy shit this game is going to be awesome. Maybe they weren't bullshitting about the game being 70 hours long.
awesome? 6 hours to get to the first dungeon sounds like the worst thing ever.

methodman said:
huh? Impa is a female...

anyway, no. i don't think midna is impa.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
This better not be as boring as wind waker was, as its the only game im buying at launch.

I would have liked to see some form of gesture required to ride your horse, or at the very least whip it.

Scrow said:
awesome? 6 hours to get to the first dungeon sounds like the worst thing ever.
For me, dungeons are probably my least favorite part of Zelda games. Even though I do enjoy them, I like exploring the world and doing the different tasks to get into the dungeons way more. Plus, since it takes so long it likely means this game really is as big as they said, which rocks.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Ganondorf>Link said:
For me, dungeons are probably my least favorite part of Zelda games. Even though I do enjoy them, I like exploring the world and doing the different tasks to get into the dungeons way more. Plus, since it takes so long it likely means this game really is as big as they said, which rocks.
That's why majora's mask was so good.

And why wind waker was not.

Top Bottom