• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters [OT] Love is kinda crazy with a spooky girl like you.

cj_iwakura

qa41gtw.png

page_ttl.jpg

• Release Date: 3/10/15 (US) | 3/13/15 (EU)
  • Platform: PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Vita
  • Genre: Visual Novel/RPG
  • Developer: ARC SYSTEM WORKS/TOYBOX INC.

• Director: Shuho Imai
  • Character Design: Chinatsu Kurahana
  • Theme Song: Nobuo Uematsu
  • Visual Director: Koya Takahashi
  • Producer: Tomio Kanazawa
  • Background Music: THE KEY PROJECT

page_ttl.jpg

One day, you arrive at Kurenai Academy in Shinjuku. You're a completely ordinary student, and one of your new classmates gazes at you - Masamune Shiga.

The class president, Sayuri Mifune, gives you a tour of the school, during which you spot what appears to be a ghost wearing a summer dress. You investigate the area, when you suddenly encounter an evil spirit that's been haunting the academy.

The ghost is wearing a red coat, and he quickly attacks! You're rescued by your classmate, Masamune, and a mysterious woman...

You team up with Masamune and the woman to exorcise the murderous red-coated spirit. After the battle, the woman tells you exactly who she is. She explains that she runs a company which takes on requests from citizens to exterminate ghosts like this one. Her name is Chizuru Fukurai, and she invites you to join her company - Gate Keepers. You decide to accept her offer.

And this is how your new life as a member of Gate Keepers begins. It also signals the beginning of the life-or-death battle against the evil spirits lurking within the darkness of Tokyo...

page_ttl.jpg

page_ttl.jpg

ttg2.gif

"GHOST" stands for "Graphic Horizontal Object Streaming". This new animation technology is a core element of the game. The technique is used not only for the characters themselves, but everywhere within the game, including events and even backgrounds.

This technology is behind the movement of every character in the game. It replicates a person's "softness" which breathes life into each character. The GHOST system has been brought to life for the very first time thanks to videographer and filmmaker Koya Takahashi.

The natural movements are created without the used of CG, and a variety of animations were made possible without any polygons or 3D calculations. And the difference this makes is plain to see. Unlike more conventional adventure games which use static single-frame art pieces, the event scenes in this game allow you to feel the flow of time, like wind blowing back a character's hair or leaves floating to the ground

ba_txt01.png

As you advance the Adventure Part, you will engage in confrontations with ghosts.

In conventional simulation games, it's typical for there to be a "turn order" in which the player and the computer take turns acting or forming strategies in real time. However, this game introduces the Forecast System, which allows both enemies and allies to input commands and act simultaneously. A computer known as the Ouija Pad is used to read the information of allies and enemies, and utilizes that information for action prediction.

This computer is a unique creation by the Gate Keepers and, naturally, is not for sale. Masamune Shiga, who serves as support for the player and other allies during battle, will provide various information, such as the positioning of and the status of the player and their teammates.

During the Forecast phase, use the Ouija Pad to predict enemy actions and control ally actions. Once you've decided on a course of action for your allies, the Execute Action phase will begin. During this phase, your allies and the enemy will move as assigned, and when a character is within range of a skill, a battle will begin.

ba_txt02.png

When you enter a battle, the perspective will change from a 2D map to a 3D space. The main camera shows the active character's perspective, and on the left are images of what your team members can see. When you attack a «ghost» during the Execute Action phase, you can damage them. But if you miss, you may break objects indoors or suffer damage yourself.

Through the expert use of skills and items, if you defeat the target within the set number of minutes, the exorcism will be completed and the mission will be cleared.

page_ttl.jpg

First US Trailer

Second US Trailer

Reviews

(TBA)

When there's something strange, in Shinjuku...

Who you gonna call?

S4FWbQ8.jpg

(Twilight Busters!)

Special Thanks
Aksys Games
NIS America
The Official Website
and you, for supporting localized visual novels.

Shizuka

CJ, would you mind hosting all images on the same image service? Some of them are not showing for me, since it's directly from NISA's website.

At first it looked amazing, but after seeing some gameplay I kinda got scared away. I feel like I'd need some good impressions before putting the money down on it. It looks pretty, but ultimately story is what matters to me in a VN. On that note, I have also heard that this game doesn't seem to have a big focus on the story unlike your usual VN, and the gameplay seems to have the player be quite involved... I just don't know aha.

cj_iwakura

CJ, would you mind hosting all images on the same image service? Some of them are not showing for me, since it's directly from NISA's website.

Really? Yeesh, they displayed fine for me... will do. I'll rework the OP in a couple hours, I'll be away for a little while.

Lain

Any major (or minor) difference between the Vita and PS3 version? Trying to decide if I should get it and for which platform.

Aksys uploaded a 19 minute playthrough to their youtube account showing off the game.

Some reviews:

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/03/04/review-tokyo-twilight-ghost-hunters/137131/

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/tokyotwilight/tokyotwilight/reviews/tokyotwilightstrev1.html

http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2015/03/review-tokyo-twilight-ghost-hunters.html

And there's a week one discount for the ps3 & vita versions on the psn for $31.99.

I was interested in this game, but March is so busy and I was mixed on the gameplay I saw. Looking forward to reading some impressions here.

Shizuka

The gameplay looks convoluted as hell. I thought this was gonna be just simple visual novel.

Most people thought it was, but it isn't. It's not like XBlaze, which is a pure visual novel. This is a mixture from visual novel with RTS. It's not even a visual novel with gameplay, it's a mix between the two genres.

Any major (or minor) difference between the Vita and PS3 version? Trying to decide if I should get it and for which platform.

According to hardcore gamer, ps3 might be the more desirable version:

Finally, let’s give some attention to the PS3 and Vita versions of the experience. In many ways it seems that Vita is the way to go with Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters; after all, there are many bite-sized missions to undertake and you can always suspend gameplay with the Vita to come back later. However, this game’s design is 100% focused on a big screen TV console experience. Text that might be readable there is outrageously tiny on the Vita’s screen, leading one to believe the developers never considered how well or poorly GUI elements would translate from PS3 to the portable system. It’s certainly still playable but expect to play with your face closer to the Vita than usual.

JNA

Banned
Most people thought it was, but it isn't. It's not like XBlaze, which is a pure visual novel. This is a mixture from visual novel with RTS. It's not even a visual novel with gameplay, it's a mix between the two genres.

Oh really?

...that makes me sad actually lol.

Brew124

My copy is finally in the Shipping Now process on Amazon. The guy I spoke to earlier said I should have it by tomorrow, but Thursday is looking more likely at this point.

Kama_1082

Banned
The game play can be frustrating. Just finished the first chapter and it'd really not clear on how exactly you're supposed to approach the ghosts. When you think you are good, you get attacked and have to plan again. Not exactly sure how I feel so far. Need a few more chapters to get a good idea of how I like it

FluxWaveZ

Honestly, reading reviews and watching impressions, the visual novel aspects don't even seem that large. It sounds more like the turn based strategy game takes center stage here.

Huh, reading up comments on the game in this thread is turning me off. I haven't been following this much, but I thought it was going to have a heavy emphasis on narrative, and I was all in for that. If it's actually not on the forefront, I'm not going to get this right away.

Mr.Towel

Seems either sold out or delayed in Canada. Might wait for more impressions before hopping on digital.

Probably not, but did anyone else think of AP Mike's song about Gary the Squirrel when reading the topic title?

This is the last thread I would expect to see this reference.

JNA

Banned
Honestly, reading reviews and watching impressions, the visual novel aspects don't even seem that large. It sounds more like the turn based strategy game takes center stage here.

That's a real shame. I wasn't going to get this right away even if I wanted too but I was hoping for a big emphesis on Narrative or more VNs like Steins Gate, etc.

Nyoro SF

Was considering because I heard the battle system is quite fun, but it's a little expensive for my blood at the moment.... :(

That is pretty awesome that someone understood what I meant. Your Phantom of the Paradise avatar is pretty sweet too.

As far as Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters, it looks like reviews have fallen in the middle to low category so far. It looks interesting, and I've considered using my GCU from Best Buy to get it but it seems like it tries to cram too many game-types into one game and doesn't do any of them particularly well.

Kama_1082

Banned
OK, the game is clicking now and everything makes a bit more sense. I'm enjoying it and just finished ch 2. The tutorial chapter wasn't any good

Spinoff90

Seems either sold out or delayed in Canada. Might wait for more impressions before hopping on digital.

Went to pick up my pre-order from EB and they were not selling it. Sounded like they got it in but they got an e-mail saying not to sell it until next week. So not sure what is going on with it.

finch

Like Shizuka said, it's a mix. The battles are quick and there's a lot of text, but you're not going to get anywhere if you can't get past the battles.
I loved the hell out of it for the most part. Getting used to everything takes a couple of chapters, but once you figure out what does what and how the ghosts act it's not difficult.

Airgetlam

Hmm. This looks pretty good. It seems like it would really suit the Vita too but I just got Atelier Shallie and the next episode of Revelations 2. For those who have played it, since it's part visual novel is there a good amount of interaction with all the characters or just the two main ones? Also are there any type of romance options (girls and guys)?

finch

It centers mostly around a group of 5 characters and each chapter usually introduces someone new who only plays a large role for that chapter and not much else for the rest of the story. There are 3 that get most of the attention (including the player character).
There isn't a lot of obvious romance, but it seems like you can make certain characters happy based on what you say, and apparently if you make one happy enough (can be a guy or a girl) they'll confess their love to you. I didn't get that on my playthrough, so I'm guessing based on what I've read and a couple of trophies.

pariah164

I'm intrigued, but not buying it right away. The gameplay video I saw was a huuuuuge turnoff, but I do want to grant it a chance in the future.

DVCY201

I was interested in this, but the lack of info was really off putting. Figured I'd wait for some impressions from here hopefully.

Airgetlam

It centers mostly around a group of 5 characters and each chapter usually introduces someone new who only plays a large role for that chapter and not much else for the rest of the story. There are 3 that get most of the attention (including the player character).
There isn't a lot of obvious romance, but it seems like you can make certain characters happy based on what you say, and apparently if you make one happy enough (can be a guy or a girl) they'll confess their love to you. I didn't get that on my playthrough, so I'm guessing based on what I've read and a couple of trophies.

Thanks for info! Might pick this up eventually. Still need to get Bloodborne later this month so it might be awhile.

Like Shizuka said, it's a mix. The battles are quick and there's a lot of text, but you're not going to get anywhere if you can't get past the battles.
I loved the hell out of it for the most part. Getting used to everything takes a couple of chapters, but once you figure out what does what and how the ghosts act it's not difficult.

Hmm, interesting. The one video I saw it seemed kinda long, but the guy might've just sucked at the game. What's the ratio of gameplay to visual novel? Also, how was the story?

I guess I'd just like to hear more details about why you loved it, because I'd like another good vn and I was interested when this was initially announced, but was later turned off by what I heard and saw.

Are the OP images not displaying for anyone else before I do a lot of rehosting? :p

All of the images work fine for me.

The fact that you can get a romantic(ish) character ending with so many different people, male and female, is pretty dang cool. Definitely makes me more interested in the game. (Not that I wasn't interested before, but it's a really nice additional aspect.)

Mandelbo

Hmm, interesting. The one video I saw it seemed kinda long, but the guy might've just sucked at the game. What's the ratio of gameplay to visual novel? Also, how was the story?

I guess I'd just like to hear more details about why you loved it, because I'd like another good vn and I was interested when this was initially announced, but was later turned off by what I heard and saw.

Basically how I feel about this right now. I think it looks really interesting, but if I end up not liking the gameplay, the story'll need to really good to make the game sections worth getting through. I'm another person who thought this would primarily be a VN with RTS elements rather than vice-versa, so I'm a little cautious now.

Also, the fact that the NISA trailer advertised it as being from the developers of Deadly Premonition didn't quite have the desired effect on me.

finch

I'd say it's about 1/3rd battle 2/3rds story, maybe a little heavier on story than that depending on the chapter. I did a lot of the side battles just because I was hooked on one of the weirder side objectives that involved leveling up your publishing skills and getting items from the characters.
The story isn't amazing, but it's better than just getting the job done. It's pretty hokey for the most part and once or twice it turns into techno battle. The characters are mostly stereotypical anime, but they end up being likable, so your experience will depend on your tolerance for anime characters. They're mostly adult and there aren't any cutesy uguu girls, though there is a cute-weird cat girl. [edit]She isn't a cat girl, just a girl who dresses in a costume that has cat ears attached to a hat.
The game was enjoyable to me because all of the weird parts worked and switching between battles and story kept it interesting rather than any one part being great.
You can definitely see that the developers weren't able to do everything they wanted. Some parts seem rushed and there are more items and side objectives than there are actual uses for them.

I won't say "GO BUY THIS RIGHT NOW" because my tastes can be kind of weird and the battle and interaction require a small amount of time to get used to, but if you're leaning towards it I'd say go for it.
I wrote a review but unfortunately it won't be up until next week. I'll link it once it's posted.

jzbluz

I've been curious for awhile about the Tokyo Majin series (I heard one of the games has a gay option), so I want to try this game since it's by the same creator. But I probably won't get to it in awhile even if I buy it now.

I won't say "GO BUY THIS RIGHT NOW" because my tastes can be kind of weird and the battle and interaction require a small amount of time to get used to, but if you're leaning towards it I'd say go for it.
I wrote a review but unfortunately it won't be up until next week. I'll link it once it's posted.

Thanks for sharing more. This makes it sound not too bad, but I still want to hear a few more impressions.

I just wish Aksys hadn't released it in this month. I'd be far more tempted to take a chance in April or especially May.

Thanks for sharing more. This makes it sound not too bad, but I still want to hear a few more impressions.

I just wish Aksys hadn't released it in this month. I'd be far more tempted to take a chance in April or especially May.

I won't disappear. Tie a knot in your handkerchief.

You'll probably have to wait it a while to get it cheaper than $31.

Depends. They put Arcana Heart 3: Love Max!!!!! on sale for $14 less than 2 months after it was released. Granted, they don't do that for every game, and I wouldn't count on it happening here, but it's not impossible.

Top Bottom