• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesomenauts |OT| - 2D MOBA - [PC/XBLA/PSN] Now on PS4!

I've seen a bunch of trailers for this game, and I still have no idea how it plays or what the point/goal for the player(s) is...

3v3, take out the opponent's turrets so you can get to and destroy their core.

Ever play League of Legends or DotA? It's that.

It plays like a dream. Fast, easy to pick up.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I've seen a bunch of trailers for this game, and I still have no idea how it plays or what the point/goal for the player(s) is...
It's like a 2D 3v3 RTS game with multiple characters you can play as each with their own unique skills, abilities, and upgrades. The main goal of the game is to destroy the base of the opposing team while at the same time you have to protect your base from the opposing team. Before you're able to reach the opposing base though you have to destroy the stationary turrets that guard it. To help you destroy the turrets faster/stay alive longer you have to purchase upgrades using the cash you collect in the map/get from kills.

Download the demo and give it a shot.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Anyway to tell how many people have this right now? Don't want to buy it with no players, but I'm on the edge of doing so.

jtrov

No. But I can say I haven't had an issue finding games on XBL. Finding games that people don't drop from after their team isn't obviously in the lead however..

This right here.

I sometimes get into a game where people will stick around for a few matches, but more often then not it seems like people just quit if things go bad. Luckily matches seem to fill up at a good rate, but sometimes you'll just be stuck with bots for the duration of the match.

Still having a ton of fun.

Bizzity

I've often had problems with people dropping too. Oddly enough, in one match after the other team dropped cause they were being dominated, the bots came back and almost won, I felt rather ashamed about that. If anyone wants someone to play with you can add me on XBL, I don't have many gamer friends on there, but I've been playing the hell out of this game the last two days. My gamertag is Bizzity.

Up to Level 10. Definitely enjoying the game. You can tell how unfamiliar the console crowd is what MOBA based on a lot of the players you come up against, or are teamed with. I for one, would definitely like to see more MOBA games on consoles. And I'm definitely looking forward to the new characters. Froggy G, Clunk and Leon are definitely my favorites.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Played the demo and enjoyed it. I've played LOL before but I found it confusing. I think it's the combination of it being a platformer and that I get to use a pad that makes me understand it.

Card Boy

Banned
It's a good game i will give them that. But i'm holding out for a PC release.

I rather not put money into the PSN, when i have no guarantee PSN games are going to be backwards compatible next gen. I would be shooting myself in the foot if bought this on my PS3.

Mechazawa

It's a good game i will give them that. But i'm holding out for a PC release.

I rather not put money into the PSN, when i have no guarantee PSN games are going to be backwards compatible next gen. I would be shooting myself in the foot if bought this on my PS3.

I have something to inform you of. No one is probably going to even be playing this game 6 months from now(and that includes any potential PC release), much less into the next console generation. You might as well just buy it now.

BHK3

Banned
So far I hate the teams being turned to bots because they suck. Mainly my team, every game.

It's just like a real moba, but the skill level on my team is much lower.

equil

Voltar is a beast. Having his little Drones flying around shooting everything that gets close and being able to heal everyone for Solar. My favorite character so far.

Half-way to 3rd prestige on Xbox.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
After watching the giantbomb quicklook this actually looks pretty fun. I thought it looked pretty terrible before I really gave it a chance. May end up picking it up.

Avinexus

Up to Level 10. Definitely enjoying the game. You can tell how unfamiliar the console crowd is what MOBA based on a lot of the players you come up against, or are teamed with. I for one, would definitely like to see more MOBA games on consoles. And I'm definitely looking forward to the new characters. Froggy G, Clunk and Leon are definitely my favorites.

I don't think it has anything to do with the console crowd being unfamiliar with MOBAs, this game doesn't really play anything like LoL, HoN, or DotA.

Card Boy

Banned
I have something to inform you of. No one is probably going to even be playing this game 6 months from now(and that includes any potential PC release), much less into the next console generation. You might as well just buy it now.

The DOTA community is on PC, not on console. I have no doubt the game would have a decent following on PC. Assuming they add PC centric features such as text chat and private servers at the bare minimum.

$10 is a very reasonable price for the PC community to jump on board. Add in a TotalBiscuit video and the game will sell like hotcakes.

I just want to point out the game is 60% more expensive on the Aussie PSN despite our dollar being worth more, so thats another reason why i don't buy stuff on the PSN.

They are talking to their publisher and Valve about it.
http://i.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ronimo-hoping-to-bring-awesomenauts-to-pc/

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Level 45 is Cap for this, last Power Ability to unlock is @44, funny there is prestige mode, gives you Icom, but everything gets locked again, I might do it for shits n' giggles

Just got 3 Trophies, thought they were gonna be a bitch but came naturally

25 Turrets, Hit Cap (Gold), Kill 1000 Droids

2 Trophies to go:

Invite someone to party and play a session
Co-Op with 2 people Spliscreen (I don't know how to do this one lol, seriously, no real gaming friends or friends at all LOL)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Level 45 is Cap for this, last Power Ability to unlock is @44, funny there is prestige mode, gives you Icom, but everything gets locked again, I might do it for shits n' giggles

Just got 3 Trophies, thought they were gonna be a bitch but came naturally

25 Turrets, Hit Cap (Gold), Kill 1000 Droids

2 Trophies to go:

Invite someone to party and play a session
Co-Op with 2 people Spliscreen (I don't know how to do this one lol, seriously, no real gaming friends or friends at all LOL)

Did you check to see if you could do the co-op one offline? Just do a practice game with a second player not controlled by anyone and see if the trophy pops.

EDIT: Shit, just checked the actual wording of the trophy, nope, don't think that'll work.

Actually it kinda sucks that there's a trophy that requires you to have three controllers.

Got every achievement last night, come at me bros. Now prestige 1, lvl 7.

Seriously though played like 20 matches straight and didn't lose a single one but the entire time my girl was giving me the evil eye. :lol

GraveRobberX

Well 100% Awesomenauts, so much fun
How do I prestige?, I said No, was in a hurry, now there's no option ; ;

So much fun

Leon is fucking boss, starts off slow at the beginning of the game, just accumulate Solar ASAP, get him at least 500 Solar add life-steal slash/faster swipes + health... GOOD GOD!
I can take a turret 35% down all by myself before I need to escape, due to Leon I got my 25 Turret Kills so quick

Did you check to see if you could do the co-op one offline? Just do a practice game with a second player not controlled by anyone and see if the trophy pops.

EDIT: Shit, just checked the actual wording of the trophy, nope, don't think that'll work.

Actually it kinda sucks that there's a trophy that requires you to have three controllers.

Awesomenauts Done 100%

The 3 player split-screen trophy is a bitch, need 3 controllers

Luckily, I have 2 PS3's so got 1 controller each with them, and then bought a third (just in case shit), also have a Move+Nav combo

You can do a Private Match, power on your 3 controller combo, Move/Switching Controller Port # doesn't work, maybe Rockband/Guitar Hero might work (try)
Invite a friend hopefully he has 3 controllers, friend had 2 (so he couldn't get trophy)
He got the invite trophy though, even though I invited him, so just have to get to the XP fill bar screen, and trophies pop
I just used the monkey + laser, got it easily

Doing it legit will be a bitch, I mean unless you got good gaming buddies that understand this game and want to help you get trophies lol

Nekobo

Played a few short games with TelemachusD and Kithlee(?) last night. It was fun, aside from us joining the game where our side was already wrecked. Thanks, gents!

My tag is Nekobo1 if anyone wants to go a few rounds this weekend. I gotta get up to a higher level!

Mechazawa

The DOTA community is on PC, not on console. I have no doubt the game would have a decent following on PC. Assuming they add PC centric features such as text chat and private servers at the bare minimum.

$10 is a very reasonable price for the PC community to jump on board. Add in a TotalBiscuit video and the game will sell like hotcakes.

I just want to point out the game is 60% more expensive on the Aussie PSN despite our dollar being worth more, so thats another reason why i don't buy stuff on the PSN.

Yeah, but the Dota community isn't going to care about this game(and I say that as someone who is enjoying this and enjoys DotA/Lol) They might not add in text to chat. They're almost certainly not going to add in server options. And, worst of all, there's no F2P hook to entice people.

This will die and die soon and the only reprieve will come from sales. It happens with too many other small scale multiplayer focused games to not happen.

MightyKAC

Just hit level 32.

Man this game is so fun. I really hope it gets enough success that the devs can continue to support it with more content.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
PSN ID Figboy, of course. I'm really enjoying the game so far, but i didn't get to play it the past two days. Maybe ths weekend. I'm trying to level p so I can unlock more stuff, but Leon so much fun to play.

This thread should be longer! Come on, GAF, buy this fun game!

eek5

Wow game is a LOT of fun. I'm loving Leon right now. Such a sneaky bastard LOL

Just played a match where they had all their turrets left and they pushed us back to our last one. I snuck behind them e and would just throw up my decoy and attack their turret then run away and hide while they tried to find me. Eventually they caught on and they protected their last turret but I did backstab dmg + decloak damage and I popped out and wrecked them with a teammate. If you don't get movement for the clone and buff your attack speed/attack you can do so much DPS. Once you get past all the turrets you just keep throwing up decoys right on the core. At the end of that game I had 3 decoys with me so I was doing like 4x dps lmao

I basically skip the tongue completely and just sneak around.

You can trick a lot of people if you run up and start meleeing them then decoy and get behind them while they attack your decoy as well. So good!

--

If anyone wants to play on 360 my gamertag is "eek5"

GraveRobberX

Yeah Voltar is fucking broken beyond the boundaries of Solar Collecting

I just got Fucking 24,000+ Fucking Solar off him... fucking amazing

My XP bar at the screen dinged like 3 times

I "Prestiged" (5 different Prestige Icons) LOL already and got up to level 20 again, Good Lord this game can get addicting

You just need decent, not even smart players

When you get 1 shitty player, you can still balance it, but when you have 2, good god it's a massacre

Every character is ridiculous, any combo works, which fucking amazes me
Once my team was Yuri + Voltar + Clunk (me), beat the other team in < 5 minutes, healing everywhere up in that bitch, I just kept chomping LOL

I need more maps + characters, trophies too, I need a sequel stat!

Also Leon and Froggy G's Killing Spree music is fucking awesome

I killed so many with Leon, the announcer said "Legendary", I even got a PSN message saying, how did you do that?

Also Fuck Sheriff Lonestar, most who use him just spam Dynamite, mostly the triple burst with either slow/blind

Joni

Game is a lot of fun. I love Leon, especially once you have upgraded his health and sword. Don't really play with the others. I also like you don't get all the solar you earned if you left another session.

MrDaravon

Right now I feel like a winning team NEEDS to have Voltar and Leon on it. Or at the very least if their team has one or both on it and your team doesn't (they have Voltar and you don't) it seems like you're kinda fucked. Played up until level 32 or so yesterday, having a good time with it but those two characters seem to be key and possibly overpowered at this point.

eek5

Leon's backstab does 2x damage! Combine that with stealth attack bonus and increased attack speed.. holy shit lol

GraveRobberX

Leon's backstab does 2x damage! Combine that with stealth attack bonus and increased attack speed.. holy shit lol

That is nothing when you add the ability that your slash adds a "Slow Effect"

Faster Swipes + Slow Effect + Damage Double/Life Steal (LOL) + Stealth Attack after coming out from Invisibility, Good God, no one can escape

eek5

Faster Swipes + Slow Effect + Damage Double/Life Steal (LOL) + Stealth Attack after coming out from Invisibility, Good God, no one can escape

Damn level 36 ;_; going to have to play more to get there lol

eek5

So are enough people playing this on XBL?

Leaderboards don't seem to be working (I am not getting ranked) so it's hard to say. All my matches have been full though

edit: there are only 2634 entries on the leaderboard ;_; although it only says I've played 2 games when I've played a ton more so who knows

equil

Leaderboards don't seem to be working (I am not getting ranked) so it's hard to say. All my matches have been full though

They work, they just take a little while for you to show up.

Leaderboards show around 2500 people so far.

(GG's btw. We're unstoppable.)

Messing around with the Slow Effect with Leon made me realize it's a waste of a perk. Everything dies super fast anyway and with run speed nothing gets away. Backstab has INCREDIBLE potential in terms of OHKOing enemies, but I often don't use it. Also, I used life steal all the way up to prestige, and prestiging made me realize something: it's not vital as I thought it was. The critical hits perk you start with gives you some AMAZING damage potential combined with attack speed + damage. Popping out of stealth often nets me around 60 damage off the bat. Pure damage, nothing gets away. I often end up going 20-0 and the highest level in a match!

I'm glad to see people jumping on Leon. I want to expand more than I did on the previous page on why he's the most vital character in a match (a decent one at least) so I will try to do that when I get the chance later on (at work now lol).

So are enough people playing this on XBL?

Seems to be. Although the leaderboards seem broken but looking on the official forums it's broken on both consoles. Some people are even losing their rank it seems.

eek5

They work, they just take a little while for you to show up.

Leaderboards show around 2500 people so far.

(GG's btw. We're unstoppable.)

Yeah GGs. We rolled people so hard. I run piggy bank (125 solar to start) then go dummy+dummy attack right at the start. The DPS is so high for the start of the game. If they aren't ready you can just heal me and I can drop more and more dummies lol

equil

Yeah GGs. We rolled people so hard. I run piggy bank (125 solar to start) then go dummy+dummy attack right at the start. The DPS is so high for the start of the game. If they aren't ready you can just heal me and I can drop more and more dummies lol

Yea, that one game we got through the first two turrets and like half their base health in like 1minute. lol

eek5

Messing around with the Slow Effect with Leon made me realize it's a waste of a perk. Everything dies super fast anyway and with run speed nothing gets away. Backstab has INCREDIBLE potential in terms of OHKOing enemies, but I often don't use it. Also, I used life steal all the way up to prestige, and prestiging made me realize something: it's not vital as I thought it was. The critical hits perk you start with gives you some AMAZING damage potential combined with attack speed + damage. Popping out of stealth often nets me around 60 damage off the bat. Pure damage, nothing gets away. I often end up going 20-0 and the highest level in a match!

I'm glad to see people jumping on Leon. I want to expand more than I did on the previous page on why he's the most vital character in a match (a decent one at least) so I will try to do that when I get the chance later on (at work now lol).

I haven't been messing with movement speed although I probably should. I've been going for backstab right after dummy/dummy atk in my recent matches which has worked really well.. not necessarily to kill players but you wreck droids especially since you can get 2-3 free backstabs on them.

Regen+regen under cloak is pretty decent as well. My favorite leon moments are "taking a break" in the enemy territory right at the edge of a step. A lot of players will just run over your head and not even notice you lol. In one of the matches one guy had 1 bar of health left and he ran to "safety" to start teleporting and I popped out and surprised him.

I haven't tried crit damage yet; how often does it land and what's the first multiplier?

The core gameplay is very fun. I could see them making a killing by bringing it to PC under a F2P model. As long as they keep it balanced they could probably make a killing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

edit: there are only 2634 entries on the leaderboard ;_; although it only says I've played 2 games when I've played a ton more so who knows

Wow, are there really that few entries on the XBL leaderboard? When I checked the PSN leaderboard last night, there were like 14000+ entries. Though I guess it being free via PS+ accounts for a lot of those. Damn.

eek5

Wow, are there really that few entries on the XBL leaderboard? When I checked the PSN leaderboard last night, there were like 14000+ entries. Though I guess it being free via PS+ accounts for a lot of those. Damn.

I kind of had to dig around to find it on the dashboard. The new dashboard is awful for selling stuff which makes no sense. They're still advertising their Xbox NEXT stuff instead of Awesomenauts for some reason. These niche games kind of get lost too.. hopefully word of mouth will give it some legs

I haven't been messing with movement speed although I probably should. I've been going for backstab right after dummy/dummy atk in my recent matches which has worked really well.. not necessarily to kill players but you wreck droids especially since you can get 2-3 free backstabs on them.

Regen+regen under cloak is pretty decent as well. My favorite leon moments are "taking a break" in the enemy territory right at the edge of a step. A lot of players will just run over your head and not even notice you lol. In one of the matches one guy had 1 bar of health left and he ran to "safety" to start teleporting and I popped out and surprised him.

I haven't tried crit damage yet; how often does it land and what's the first multiplier?

Movement speed will make the other team fear you once you have all your sword upgrades. And yes, regen cloak also made me realize I don't need lifesteal. Amazing move.

With my build, I get double and triple kills CONSTANTLY. What I do depends on the competition; I can zerg a turret and solo it fast if I feel the enemy is putting pressure, but I love to harass other [human] players. I hate bots :lol I often go immediately for attack speed and faster movement because Leon is slow at the start and it puts pressure on competent players (remember, them going back to heal = more time for you and your team).

Once I get my sword upgrades halfway up is when I start to become deadly and I often go for cloak then. I don't mess with tounge too much as it's not needed.

I'm torn between piggy bank and solar tree. My friend swears by the tree but matches end too fast for me to fully take advantage of it. Piggy bank is almost useless on Leon off the bat (it is the BEST for Froggy G) but the faster I can get my upgrades, the faster you can say goodbye to the enemy team. Almost ever Leon I fight immedietly go for stealth and tounge, sometimes even lifesteal, so 1 v 1 they can't win. And the crits hit constantly!

Speaking of crits, to answer your question it hits often when you upgrade it. I can't remember exactly but when zerging an enemy drill, I hit for 27 maybe 3 or 4 times a second, and it happens more often than not.

One if free, the other costs money. :lol Also the 360 leaderboards take at least 2 days to update, not sure why. I know the leaderboards are having issues on both consoles but I don't know if the PSN leaderboard is as slow as the 360's. I don't have PS+ so I don't wanna double dip.

eek5

Movement speed will make the other team fear you once you have all your sword upgrades. And yes, regen cloak also made me realize I don't need lifesteal. Amazing move.

With my build, I get double and triple kills CONSTANTLY. What I do depends on the competition; I can zerg a turret and solo it fast if I feel the enemy is putting pressure, but I love to harass other [human] players. I hate bots :lol I often go immediately for attack speed and faster attack because Leon is slow at the start and it puts pressure on competent players (remember, them going back to heal = more time for you and your team).

Once I get my sword upgrades halfway up is when I start to become deadly and I often go for cloak then. I don't mess with tounge too much as it's not needed.

I'm torn between piggy bank and solar tree. My friend swears by the tree but matches end too fast for me to fully take advantage of it. Piggy bank is almost useless on Leon off the bat (it is the BEST for Froggy G) but the faster I can get my upgrades, the faster you can say goodbye to the enemy team. Almost ever Leon I fight immedietly go for stealth and tounge, sometimes even lifesteal, so 1 v 1 they can't win. And the crits hit constantly!

Speaking of crits, to answer your question it hits often when you upgrade it. I can't remember exactly but when zerging an enemy drill, I hit for 27 maybe 3 or 4 times a second, and it happens more often than not.

One if free, the other costs money. :lol
Interesting.. I'll have to play around with it. I've been using piggy bank AND solar tree. I use piggy bank to give the team an advantage early on then once we have a good position I switch to solar tree and bring in all the cash. I'll probably remove piggy bank for movement speed and see how that goes though. The tree does help a lot; without it I usually head back to base with 100-200 solar but when I'm running tree I'll notice my bank hit 300+ a lot but like you said, it's really only beneficial in longer matches.

I mainly like piggy bank because you can get dummy+dummy attack right off the bat which is devastating if you have a voltar on your team and the other team isn't prepared for you. It's almost a free win lol

--

Have you tried the tongue at all? It does not seem that great. I haven't upgraded it ever so I have no idea how effective it is. It seems best at countering another Leon though. I usually drop my dummy while running away and I've had opposing players pull me through the dummy. It seems like a waste of points when you can just spec out for insane damage though

Interesting.. I'll have to play around with it. I've been using piggy bank AND solar tree. I use piggy bank to give the team an advantage early on then once we have a good position I switch to solar tree and bring in all the cash. I'll probably remove piggy bank for movement speed and see how that goes though. The tree does help a lot; without it I usually head back to base with 100-200 solar but when I'm running tree I'll notice my bank hit 300+ a lot but like you said, it's really only beneficial in longer matches.

I mainly like piggy bank because you can get dummy+dummy attack right off the bat which is devastating if you have a voltar on your team and the other team isn't prepared for you. It's almost a free win lol

--

Have you tried the tongue at all? It does not seem that great. I haven't upgraded it ever so I have no idea how effective it is. It seems best at countering another Leon though. I usually drop my dummy while running away and I've had opposing players pull me through the dummy. It seems like a waste of points when you can just spec out for insane damage though

Oh wow, you definetely need to add movement speed and take one of those out asap! Two is overkill, and also if you have solar tree it's more beneficial to use that immediately and just farm a little bit for piggy bank (if you are going to run both). This will get you more solar faster.

I often don't get dummy attack until much later because you will be too weak in the beginning against good players (and bots, damn the bot AI!). Once you realize that a high damage Leon can smash a turret ALONE with no help and can stealth if the going gets tough, it'll change the way you play. I was even thinking about taking off solartree/piggy and going for 2x health upgrades + faster speed. That would be OVERKILL, lol.

The beauty about this game, like other MOBAs, are that we can all have different builds that are effective to our strategies.

Tounge is useful but faster movement speed makes you a beast without it. I've pulled my share of people running away with it, though. It's the best in the beginning, but I avoid it. My friend goes for a glass cannon build and has lifesteal on his tounge.

Top Bottom