• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sad truth of Latin American prices: Switch Edition

ozfunghi

Officially, videogames here are cataloged as Gamble products, hence they have 29-31% tax (IVA+Import Tax), but, at least here with the retailers... nope, every retailer (Alkosto, Panamericana, Exito, Falabella) gets their allotment via Juegos de Video S.A.S. at reduced price, it's just that they want to profit 300% or more from the local customers.

since nobody bothered to respond to my previous message, i have to ask, is that +/- 30% the only extra cost? Because that's only marginally more than what we'd pay (my country, EU) for importing a switch. It is still a lot cheaper than paying those insane prices.

Keinning

I was talking about retailers, shops etc. The prices are better than PS4 there.

ah, i see. can't really speak about that since i dont look for physical anymore. i remember xbox new games always hitting the 250 to 300R$ range though, which is probably the same for PS4 as well.

Linkark07

Banned
Panama here. PS4 and Xbone games usually cost $70, and for some strange reason, since Wii U games had the same price as the PS4 and Xbone, Switch games cost $75. And they hardly go down in price. Imagine Killzone Shadowfall is still $70.

In case of consoles, they are usually $50 higher than the MSRP in the US.

jrmanimal

we had better sales on the xbox store before. nowadays they're pretty shitty to be honest

still, browsing it for a few minutes can find you 'odd' stuff like this:
song of the deep - 15$ turn into 120R$
tacoma - 20$ turn into 36R$
cuphead - 20$ turn into 77R$
lego jurassic world - 20$ turn into 180R$
lego the hobbit - 20$ turn into 200R$

some games still end up in a reasonable price here. others end up out of question. but at least we have some options. nintendo can't offer even that
Basically every game with physical release gets a super high price in online stores to match the price. And ends up being cheaper to buy the physical, as the online stuff stays at retail price. I see those for around r$60-90.

Some online-only gets nice prices but others are just the direct conversion from dollars I think. Stuff MS publish is usually more expensive on the Xbox store over steam. Cuphead is like r$77 at Xbox store but r$36 at steam. Voodoo Vince also launched cheaper at steam than Xbox store.

Where I live, you can't even buy games.

Ordering from Amazon adds some stupid amount like 60% to the total, plus shipping fees.

Digital is a godsend.

And the worst thing is that Amazon USA doesn’t allow you to buy Nintendo games from them and makes you buy the same product overpriced in Amazon MX...

And they have less variety too: I can’t fucking buy Xenoblade 2 special edition...

kyo2004

If companies cared they would go to CAN, Mercosur, Pacific Alliance, etc. to try changing those laws tho.

Quite difficult when we are the #1 country on corruption crimes... Almost everything on the political side only works with the CVY (Como voy yo) strat...

since nobody bothered to respond to my previous message, i have to ask, is that +/- 30% the only extra cost? Because that's only marginally more than what we'd pay (my country, EU) for importing a switch. It is still a lot cheaper than paying those insane prices.

That only applies when importing stuff from US/Europe and because games/consoles are relatively lightweight, with the official post services (4-72) we can circumvent that taxes, so is infinitely cheaper import things than buy locally. The other cost from importing are shipping cost, and varies from weight and delivery speed. Add that our minimum wage is a LOT less than their US/Europe counterpart.

For example, for a $60 USD game, in US with the minimum wage, a person only need 1-2 days to get that amount.
Here, the same $60 USD game ($80 if we use the local prices), with our minimum wage, a persone needs 12-15 days to get that same amount (and that's in the ideal case, if we put all the variables on the table, that 12 days are now 50-60 days... xD)...

Cryxok

Mexico is not that bad compared to other LATAM markets.

Some prices on the eShop are even cheaper than the US store.

Amazon MX definitely has the best offers, Nintendo, Sony and Xbox titles. Got Prime and I buy all my games there.

Surprisingly true. I remember, when Fates came out, how surprised I was to find out that after buying the base game for 900MXN (about 45dlls at the time) buying the other routes digital was about 250 each IIRC (about 12.5dlls at the time). Buying the special edition, on the other hand, was about 2000MXN I think (about 100dlls). I was SO glad I skipped the Special Edition and just bought each route individually on the eshop.

Current gen games and consoles are so damn high in Dominican Republic, we have pretty much decided to stay 1 or 2 gens behind. Right now PS3s and games are at an affortable price.

SebastianM

yeah, that's the cheapest I've seen it yet. Sadly, it's back to 350k at Zmart :(

Last thing I ever bought at Zmart was GTA V back in 2013, their prices have gone way up since then.

Just a couple of days I upgraded my old model to a 1TB slim PS4 for 200.000CLP (~320USD) in a small game store in Santiago, granted it's still expensive compared to the US but at least it's way more down to earth and affordable than the prices available in major retail chains and obviously, the rest of Latin America. I'm a middle-class 21 year old student and current-gen gaming hasn't been an issue money wise, you just have to shop around.

Also, thank fuck for PSN store sales, recently got Titanfall for 10usd and it's been a blast so far.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Ah yes, good ol' GameCrap.

I still remember their PS3 launch price: $3200 (that's US dollars)
It was cheaper to fly to the US and buy one there *twice* than giving them your money.

Jesus Christ that's horrible. As someone who is Physical Always (Unless impossible) I'd be literally unable to buy more than one game a month or two.

That's just ludicrous. 2x normal US retail price is just like... Why? Because they can?
Taxation is heavy, plus it goes through several companies between importer, reseller and whatever that each wants their cut and at the very least break even.
If I showed you how much stuff like TVs retail for you'd cry
I do :(

Can't you import it?

I imported my Switch and the Zelda Special Edition for just $60 extra.

Fortunately, some less known stores in my country sell games at a decent price (for example Mario Oddysey at $US 62)
Yes. but taxation is heavy so it'd end up being quite expensive anyway. The only real workaround for hardware or physical is having someone bring it with them when they travel.
For software, going digital is the only real option, even with the terrible pricing we get (we are not worthy of the same digital prices as Mexico/Brazil, because fuck you I guess)

Nintendo is the worst of the big 3 tho, Sony and Microsoft have better support.
Nah, they are all shit over here.
Xbox is pretty much nonexistent, and PS4 launched at over $1000 (it's quite cheap now thankfully, but we are still talking of about $500 for a slim and like $800 for a Pro).
And don't let me get started on the bullshit pricing on the local PSN (for example new PS4 games on the local PSN are $72. Yes, 72 US Dollars. Sony, you are not importing shit and are paying 0 taxes. Why.jpg)

The prices are $ 15 dollar higher than any PS4/XBOX ONE already expensive prices, though i blame the economy for those :/
I'm pretty sure I saw Fifa/PES higher than that in the fine establishment shown in the OP

Yea but I got Shovel Knight off the Mexican eshop for half price on launch week
Mexico is different to the rest of LatAm, even on the digital stores.
Here in Uruguay and Argentina as well, PSN, Steam et al have US prices or higher for games. I fucking wish we had the same prices as Mexico.

I imagine you guys have very high wages, otherwise I don't see how these games would sell anything.
LOL

If only.

Not really. It's just like that when companies make no effort to improve it. Thankfully i'm old enough to remember the master system days where sega sanctioned TecToy to do their thing and we had a legit market in our country. Even Microsoft and Sony took baby steps and started producing here to cut prices from "haha are you kidding me get out of here" to "this is expensive as shit". Nintendo is usually the worst offender since NES days.
Maybe in Brazil, over here the TecToy produced stuff was not cheaper than Nintendo hardware at all.
Famiclones and other of the sort were the only actual accessible hardware for most.

Nintendo could start by creating an eShop for our countries. They can't even be bothered to do that, that's how much they care for our region.
True, but if they'll half ass it like Sony did with PSN I'd rather them not even bother, lest you get stuck with a lesser, more expensive region.

Besides, we got rid of female Donald Trump less than 2 years ago. No way I'm living through that again.
giphy.webp

I don't understand how customs work over there exactly. Even with high import taxes, it could still be very much worth it, i can imagine?

Where i live (small EU country) it's very clear what customs cost. You will pay €12 for handling, then there is a 21% of VAT and an additional 4% import taxes. Both VAT and import taxes are calcullated on top of the total cost of the product + shipping + handling. Let's say you could have a Switch shipped for €330, the handling would make it 342, and the total cost with VAT and import taxes would be around €430. Still a lot cheaper than your average store price, i assume.

Do you know what the exact fees are when the package goes through customs?
Not really, and I do know.
Here you get 3 "tax-free import franchises" a year, and in each of these the total cost can't exceed $200, if it does or you no longer have any available the package falls under the general import rules.
Since the Switch costs $300 in the US, you have to pay up, and the things you have to pay besides those 300 bucks are:
- Shipping of course, which can range between $10-$60 depending on speed and such
- A tax that is the 60% of ProductCost+Shipping
- The emission of an import document, that's about $100
- A fee for the package being on the customs' warehouse (varies on package size and weight)
- The fee required by the customs agent that gets your package out of customs (obviously depends, but in general no fewer than $50)
- And starting this month, any device that has WiFi or Bluetooth radio has to pay an extra tax to get it out of customs (yes, really) and it's about $20

I'll let you do the math, but the total cost of the product easily doubles.

Kandinsky

Wow that's insane.

Here in Chile we kinda almost have console software price parity which is nice, hardware on the other hand, especially PC parts, are ridiculous and need to be regulated.

As someone who loved Montevideo and has thought about living there, this is very disappointing. Here in Perú things are going to be expensive unless you go to the gray market and just buy games in Polvos Azules.

CANLI

2 moths ago, I went to Bosnia and the only video game shop that I found there sold amiibos for 58 euros and ps4/switch games for 90 euros..

Very sad.

mozfan12

Banned
I remember all my family members and friends that lived in Mexico would just get the system that was easiest to hack/pirate for. Distribution in Latin America is so fucked up and it seems that it's particularly bad with Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch is Rp 5,300,000 here (roughly $390 when converted), but 'fortunately' the games prices are pretty normal ($60 converted).

So yeah, it's not going to take off anytime soon here in Indonesia.

Eylos

Banned
I remember all my family members and friends that lived in Mexico would just get the system that was easiest to hack/pirate for. Distribution in Latin America is so fucked up and it seems that it's particularly bad with Nintendo.
I remember my PlayStation 1 was made in Mexico, what happened there?

Alastor3

serious question tho: if games are that high, does that mean there are less gamers there?

Gaffers who live there, can you find other people, friends to play with ?

ElFly

I bought mine for 300.000 CLP like 3 months ago (zmart, retailer oficial).

Now I constantly see it at 280.000. Still expensive but 350,000 it's really exagerated.

$260000 in the eurocentro, as long as you pay cash

which considering taxes is around $340, which ain't bad

The Hermit

Switch is now reaching 450-500 dollars in the grey market in Brazil. This is the cheapest it has been ( it was over 800)

Thank God for eShop and free region, it's the only way I can keep up.

serious question tho: if games are that high, does that mean there are less gamers there?

Gaffers who live there, can you find other people, friends to play with ?

For a while I was the only one to own a Switch, now I know 2 friends.

We barely have time to play together, one of them wants to sell me Splatoon though

I thought this thread was going to be about the eShop prices; I was about to rant about the cost of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the mexican eShop :p

But yeah, sadly LatinAmerica gets screwed with videogames in general. You'd think since most if not all are third world countries retailers would try to keep price parity with USA as often as possible, but noup.

Sigh.

borges

Banned
I live in Argentina, and prices are ridiculous here as well... but Uruguay... man, you are on another level. I payed like 5 dollars for a damn coke can in Punta Del Este last year.

You all should come to Perú, in fact I know plenty of people that comes here JUST to buy games in the gray market:

Gray market: Most of the time the games comes from the official retailer distributor (JLAV in this case, I know because they have the sticker),other times they come from an US distributor.

The shops are located in big galleries in the center without any fancy stuff.

BUT the game are:

-Released before the US (There are lots of threads about street date games being sold in Perú like FF15 that released two weeks before launch and Pokémon X / Y)

-Cheaper than the US. New retail games are like S/ 180 which is about 51$.

-The consoles are a little more expensive, like a 30% increased price from the US.

Here is how a store like this look like:
Places like Polvos Azules have lots of stores like this and they all get the games at the same time and for the same low price. I suppose none of them pays taxes or stuff like this.

On the other hand we have the official retail stores:

-New released games are like 100$ each and they usually kept their prices.

-Consoles can be 50% to 80% more expensive.

But those stores are located on big shopping centers and mall.

Usually looks like this:

Some people says that you support the videogame peruvian market if you only buy from retail stores but actually both gray and retail comes from the same distributor most of the time.

The guys on the gray market even do delivery with POS. By the end of the day I get games before US release, with a cheaper price and delivered to my office.

Astral Dog

Surprisingly true. I remember, when Fates came out, how surprised I was to find out that after buying the base game for 900MXN (about 45dlls at the time) buying the other routes digital was about 250 each IIRC (about 12.5dlls at the time). Buying the special edition, on the other hand, was about 2000MXN I think (about 100dlls). I was SO glad I skipped the Special Edition and just bought each route individually on the eshop.
I believe they are 'fixing' this with higher prices on the Eshop, but yeah that was a pleasant surprise

I think is obvious someone is fucking it up when the xbox one x, the ps4 pro and the Nintendo switch share the same prices in Mexico

KanameYuuki

Something that really pisses me off is that here in Colombia those games can and most of the time will keep those high prices for years, I've seen so many 360/PS3/Wii games for $70+ and yuu will be lucky if consoles don't become more expensive like what happened a few months ago with Xbox One and PS4.

But I find it super funny when someone does buy them from those big retailers wasting so much money instead of buying them from smaller stores in the center of the city.

Garraboa

Oh yes, LATAM prices have always been a slap in the face. That's why I thank that Amazon has finally stepped into Mexico. It's a blessing to finally get sort of fair prices for games. Take Mario Odyssey for example. It's around 1120 pesos right now, whereas most retail stores or department stores here sell it for 1600. Add to that the Twitch Prime (?) discount and you get it for 1070 pesos, which averages to $56. And with free shipping! I'm glad to finally give the finger to the abysmal retail store pricing in favor of Amazon.

Kid Ying

How i see Brazil market from best to worst

Best: Xbox hardware and software in a Fair price always on good Sales

Regular : PlayStation hardware price is a little high, and Also the New games but you Will find good deals on games and there's used games

Worst: Nintendo, you are doomed
yep.

I've just travelled to Uruguay a couple of weeks ago and was surprised with the gaming prices, especially since they are all in dollar.

Well, Uruguay surprised me on every price, actually. Very expensive to live there. But Brazil is certainly a bit better on gaming.

Josman

Amazon.mx has been a blessing for me, I bought a PC to buy software through Steam and it's been cheaper than getting a console

kyo2004

Something that really pisses me off is that here in Colombia those games can and most of the time will keep those high prices for years, I've seen so many 360/PS3/Wii games for $70+ and yuu will be lucky if consoles don't become more expensive like what happened a few months ago with Xbox One and PS4.

But I find it super funny when someone does buy them from those big retailers wasting so much money instead of buying them from smaller stores in the center of the city.

The only time to buy from retailers at decent price is when they're on clearance sale (to increase the price on the new allotment)... Or when a store run out of business (like Ripley/La Polar and their crazy deals 2 years ago)...

Adnor

Banned
Wow that's insane.

Here in Chile we kinda almost have console software price parity which is nice, hardware on the other hand, especially PC parts, are ridiculous and need to be regulated.

I remember when PC parts were cheaper 6 years ago, then it was better to build an entire PC than to buy a console.

Yeah consoles and basically anything that involves a physical product is super overpriced here in Mexico. Steam is the only place where there is actually some accessibility of prices for most Mexican consumers. I mean Cuphead is $180 pesos which is like almost $10 USD! But since I'm a more of a physical copies guy and also anti-DRM (BTW GOG is more expensive then Steam) I pretty much only buy 2-3 games max every year, and most of the time they are the GOTY versions. I rely on Amazon for my games almost exclusively. MexicoGAF is it really true that Amazon MX is better than Amazon USA? Cause most the the times I checked the MX prices without shipping exceed those of the USA prices with shipping already included! How is that a better deal? Also does MX annual Prime crossover with the US Prime? Because that is actually a good deal.

TLZ

Banned
Say I want to buy someone a Switch as a gift and ship it to Brazil on his bday. Will he have to pay tax? Will it just get to him no problem? How does that work?

Eylos

Banned
yep.

I've just travelled to Uruguay a couple of weeks ago and was surprised with the gaming prices, especially since they are all in dollar.

Well, Uruguay surprised me on every price, actually. Very expensive to live there. But Brazil is certainly a bit better on gaming.
Yeah, the bluray of xone and PS4 games are made here, i think brazilians cant complain in this aspect. The console is assembled here, but still the price is not that good.

The only one thats everything through importation is Nintendo and thats why It sux.

Eylos

Banned
Say I want to buy someone a Switch as a gift and ship it to Brazil on his bday. Will he have to pay tax? Will it just get to him no problem? How does that work?
Well depends. In theory and probably yeah, but depending of the mail service, the size of the package, where he lives, your horoscope, the day,the fiscalization can ignore the package.

TLZ

Banned
tl;dr - it's luck. Someone can send the same package and get taxed while yours go through just fine.

Things are changing though, the process is getting automated so it will be a lot harder to avoid.
Ugh. So much for trying to surprise them. Any idea how much it'd get taxed, if I wasn't lucky?

NolbertoS

Where’s the gif of that Brasilian kid that bough the $1,300?? US PS4 in Brasil.

Screw buying games in south america. Luckily alot of peeps have family in fhe Us that ship them over the games.

Syriel

Brazil is in Latin America and we don't even have Nintendo officially here.

So think high prices.

Now think UNREGULATED high prices

Is it a problem to call stuff internationally?

I assume the customs are expensive as hell, too, right?

It's the government.

Brazil taxes the shit out of video games.

Can't really blame Nintendo when import taxes are sky high.

It's the government.

Brazil taxes the shit out of video games.

Can't really blame Nintendo when import taxes are sky high.

It's bullshit. Taxes exist, yes, prices will be higher, yes, but if they wanted they could make it work.

Microsoft did, Sony did. Nintendo said "fuck it", took their ball and went home.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not really Latin America, but might as well be considering we were occupied by Spanish for 300 years and Americans by roughly 50-ish years. My country is Philippines. :p

Anyway we have the same problem here where big mall chains are selling all consoles with a ridiculous upmark - not just Nintendo but even Sony and Microsoft products. Really the only difference is that Nintendo doesn't have customer support (I'm not sure if MS has though), but certain retailers will allow replacement (more on that later).

Anyway said mall chains have ridiculous markup, with stuff like 70-80 usd when converted for games normally costing 60 bucks. From the looks of it, at least from my experience of seeing people, it's essentially "bait" for rich parents or casuals who didn't know better. And it's not just games, but video game related stuff like accessories and figures. Hell, they even sell pirated and illegitimate games and accessories!

Thankfully we have establishments that do sell legitimately, essentially hobby stores, but they are so spread out that they're essentially big-name chains now (Datablitz and iTech). They went big roughly around PS2/XB/GC's era. They sell products with a reduced "south east asian" price. In fact it's even cheaper to buy than in Steam (even with Steam's localized pricing). Even Nintendo games have gotten cheaper thanks to Maxsoft (the Nintendo distributor in Singapore).

Top Bottom