• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PROMETHEUS Full Theatrical Trailer (2:32) + International UK trailer (2:47)

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's maybe talking about the ship and the heads up display in it. Only thing that may have a resemblance to it (can't see it though).

I don't think he's saying the movie is inspired by it or anything, so you guys keep your pantyhose on. :p

Ilive1up

i watched this trailer at 4 in the morning, while still super drunk from st.patty's day stuff, and i was blown the fuck away.

now sober, kind of hungover, and i can say safely that my mind hasn't changed.

fucking STOKED!!!

derFeef

I have a friend that has the weirdest dreams (straight out of Silent Hill stuff, way before Silent Hill existed) and sometimes we would draw these dreams and I always found his drawings fascinating. I remember showing him crazy Giger stuff to fuel his dreams but he started taking medication to make it stop instead.

Such things fascinate me, but it's scary for sure.

Anteater

I'd give your avatar a short walk, unf.

Anyway, I'm going to go with that interview thing and maybe it's just set in the same Universe, not the same scenario.

It can't be the same scenario as I think the ship in alien is a different one and it was there ages ago, the space jockey was fossilized and stuff.

unless they traveled back in time in the end of prometheus

Okay, I'm going to make a wide guess based on watching the trailer 3 times: The ship is alive, and it IS an alien. One huge super lifeform that is made up of a colony of smaller lifeforms.

"It's changing."

"What is?"

"The ship."

"They're leaving."

Would be consistent with Gigers design ideas from the very get go. In the original Alien, Facehugger eggs weren't hatched by a giant chicken with a headplate, but the xenomorph would transform the humans into eggs. Also the ships interior was intended to look like bowels that would either live by themselves or exist in a symbiotic relationship with the lifeforms piloting it (space jockey for example)

But since Giger didn't even work on the second movie, they came up with that ridiculous looking Queen thing.

G-Fex

Wait a minute. Wake me = put batteries in me. Chief is Cortana's dildo. Nice.

I knew Chief wasn't human. Awesome.

It can't be the same scenario as I think the ship in alien is a different one and it was there ages ago, the space jockey was fossilized and stuff.

unless they traveled back in time in the end of prometheus

Yeah but see I don't know, I didn't know Jockey's were bad guys I just assumed in Alien/Aliens that they encountered a ton of aliens so Jockeys were just some run of the mill aliens they've seen before.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Excuse me?

Gallery_Image_6517.jpg

4NJKn.png

There you go.
There some other instances where there's a heavy resemblance to Avatar. But I can't find any other appropriate screenshots from Avatar at the moment.

I really hope this is as amazing as it looks like its going to be... so hyped!

I feel that when Riddles gets to do his "passion projects," they come out better than anyone can hope. Kingdom of Heaven was one of those, and in my opinion it was the best film of the last decade. Compare that to "pay the bills" projects like Hannibal.

Awesome trailer, and such a great cast behind it too. This, The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit take my top spots for most anticipated films. I have been deprived of good space science fiction films lately. The most recent one I can remember is Sunshine though I'm probably causing a disservice to another more recent film by forgetting it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Pretty sure I've figured out the Guy Pierce/Weyland angle in the script.

David, the android played by Fassbender *is* Peter Weyland. At least Weyland's conciousness. This is why a (presumed) pliant, obedient synthetic starts working to his own agenda and unleashes the threat. These technologies are I believe mentioned on the Weyland Corp Website, and this is why Scott/Lindelof are being so cagey about the size of Pierce's role. Presumably they have Fassbender copying Pierce's performance when he's acting under his own agency,

I'd also suspect that Theron's character (who's in cahoots with Weyland/David) is also a synthetic, although she may not be aware of it.

I'm sticking to my prediction that the convergence of Progenitor/Synthetic technology is what produces the "corrupted" biomechanoid alien, and the whole movie takes place on the planet that becomes LV426, malformed after a failed terraforming cycle by the alien craft.

F!ReW!Re

Pretty sure I've figured out the Guy Pierce/Weyland angle in the script.

David, the android played by Fassbender *is* Peter Weyland. At least Weyland's conciousness. This is why a (presumed) pliant, obedient synthetic starts working to his own agenda and unleashes the threat. These technologies are I believe mentioned on the Weyland Corp Website, and this is why Scott/Lindelof are being so cagey about the size of Pierce's role. Presumably they have Fassbender copying Pierce's performance when he's acting under his own agency,

I'd also suspect that Theron's character (who's in cahoots with Weyland/David) is also a synthetic, although she may not be aware of it.

I'm sticking to my prediction that the convergence of Progenitor/Synthetic technology is what produces the "corrupted" biomechanoid alien, and the whole movie takes place on the planet that becomes LV426, malformed after a failed terraforming cycle by the alien craft.

Also, we see the alien ship being blown up and crash landing, creating the crashed ship the colonists discover in Alien. Just not sure how the xenomorphs come into this scenario. Something about mixing human DNA with that "moving goo" we see in the trailer?

Busty

Banned
Again another fantastic trailer that really captures a feeling of dread and horror without explicitly giving the audience any big 'shocks' etc.

The opening shot with the sound effect is amazing. Also I can't help but wonder why Fassbender doesn't feature in the trailer more. I realise that this is an ensemble piece and it's not a Fassbender vehicle but even still, he's barely featured barring the end.

But I just can't shake the feeling that this film will be all 'sizzle and no steak'. The trailer is actually pretty spoiler heavy and the rumour that
a member of the crew actually turns into an 'alien' and kills the others
seems to be true given some screen grabs.

All in all I will be there opening day but I'll be the guy with the extremely low expectations. That way unless it's 'The Happening level awful' I'll be pleasantly surprised. I think that might be the best way to approach this film.

Smokey

Umm holy shit wtf, do I need to watch the Alien movies? This looks really interesting and its a prequel right? So they went and 'found' the alien things? Then they Alien things went to earth?

Ugh, I struggle to watch really old sci fi. The dated special effects and the campy-ness tend to make it a labored watch for me.

Alien on Blu-ray is the best transfer I have ever seen. Besides the old school computers in the movie you'd straight up think the film was made in 2012.

duckroll

Alien on Blu-ray is the best transfer I have ever seen. Besides the old school computers in the movie you'd straight up think the film was made in 2012.

This is a lie. You can definitely tell the movie was not made in 2012.

Because it would probably look worse. :D

Smokey

Sadly, you're probably right. Alien on Blu-ray was the first time I'd even seen the movie. The initial Prometheus teaser and the GAF thread that followed got me to finally watch the movie. Was amazed.

GhaleonEB

They should all be in their undies when waking up from cryo! Wonder if the Promethus' cryo hold has a heated floor.
When Ripley wakes up on the Sulaco in Aliens, the Blu-Ray makes certain details more visible than I thought they were.

Ebert included it on his great movies list and his is generally positive about it.
Yup, he gave it four stars when it came out. Here's the Great Movies article.

so how spoilery is the trailer? i want to watch it but im also pretty hyped for this. or should i just watch the trailer regardless?
As hyped as I am, I wish I had not seen it. I'm pretty sure I know the full story arc including the ending sequence.

Pretty much. I thought the Blu-Ray would not be kind to the Alien sets. Instead it revealed it for being one of the most meticulously designed productions out there. Simply timeless.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The look of Prometheus is very heavily influenced by some of the early AD concepts from Alien that were dropped for budgetary reasons. Its easy to forget that it was made on a budget of only $9m, and Scott had to fight tooth and nail to get the stuff onscreen he wanted.

To be truthful Scott was extremely fortunate to inherit the insane all-star art team Jodorowsky had assembled for his failed version of Dune. Titty temple in the trailer leads back past the early stuff Giger did for Alien to his vision for Harkonnen castle for Jodorwsky.

Its just different iterations of the same design.

The bridge of the Prometheus bears more than a passing resemblance to Ron Cobb's "California split-level" bridge concept from Alien, and the external shot of the Prometheus landed on the planet is practically identical to some early Nostromo concept work. Cobbs work predates Giger's arrival and features a desert-look for the alien world.

I would have loved to see this prequel include that level of technology.

Wouldn't really make sense. Nostromo is an old mining ship. Prometheus is a cutting edge science ship. Think of the old semi-trailer trucks you still see on the road today compared to the Space Shuttle Columbia.

Wouldn't really make sense. Nostromo is an old mining ship. Prometheus is a cutting edge science ship. Think of the old semi-trailer trucks you still see on the road today compared to the Space Shuttle Columbia.

Yeah I generally hate technical "revisionism" in prequels, but given that the richest man in the world (basically) is funding the expedition, it kinda works.

Ps This looks fucking amazing.

StuBurns

Banned
I haven't seen the new trailer, but there were a couple of things in the first teaser that reminded me of Avatar, some door opening like the first landing in Avatar, some big dusty machine. Not stylistically, but in terms of the effects used maybe. You could say that about any big effects film I guess, but it didn't invoke any of the other recent examples for me, even Star Trek, which would be a more natural comparison I guess.

When can we expect an Apple version of the trailer?

Dead

well not really...yet
The movie bears virtually no visual resemblance to Avatar.
Several of the large scale shots are pretty reminiscent, such as the Prometheus traveling in the planets atmosphere and the ship landing.

Its just that there really aren't any other recent sci-fi films other than Avatar that properly display absolutely huge scale outer space/planet settings, so its kinda natural to see a resemblance, even if faint.

JB1981

So Drew McWeeny says that a prequel to this prequel is already in the design stages:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-...nd-imax-trailer-reveal-all-sorts-of-new-clues

And if the rumors I'm hearing are correct, it's a prequel to a prequel, because work has already started on the follow-up to "Prometheus," and there are things being designed and built that will break your brain when you see them. Yes, "Prometheus" has to do well internationally before Fox officially says, "Go make the second one," but I think there's a pretty strong chance that's going to happen. Besides, if it doesn't, this film's ending is going to drive fandom completely insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom