• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward SPOILER Thread

Sorian

Banned
i'm gonna expect Clover to be back. Uchi playing with you all!

She was only in the second one for fan service, Uchi basically said himself that when he chooses characters, he likes to bring back ones that people liked the most. In this case, the fans chose a female and he didn't know how to write her so he went for the trope of sexy and stupid.

LiK

She was only in the second one for fan service, Uchi basically said himself that when he chooses characters, he likes to bring back ones that people liked the most. In this case, the fans chose a female and he didn't know how to write her so he went for the trope of sexy and stupid.

she'll be back~ they used both versions of her for the official artbook. i dunno how she could be left out now. maybe as a cameo at least.

AwShucks

Which is strange because I enjoy the writing for Phi.

she'll be back~ they used both versions of her for the official artbook. i dunno how she could be left out now. maybe as a cameo at least.

Here's how it goes down in the third game:

- Alice is part of the party, and she explains that she sent in Clover first to "scout things out."

- The first room you enter, Clover is strapped to a bomb in the middle of the room. Her eyes go wide as Alice steps toward her... through a laser-activated tripwire. Clover explodes into a bloody mess, which is written about in vivid detail, 999 style.

- Alice, inconsolable, can't forgive herself, and pulls a ring-shaped gun from behind her boob-ring top and shoots herself in the head.

- Zero comes on the intercom: "Let the games begin." The door slams shut behind you.

This all happens in the first 30 seconds.

Jintor

On a side note, I've been playing (i.e. watching on YouTube) Persona 4 Arena and it's actually kind of amazing how different writing directly for visual novels and... failing to do so... can make your piece. P4A's writing is slow and ponderous and about three times as large as it needs to be and it's only because I freaking love the characters and music and visuals that I sat through it all (and at one point my little brother was sitting next to me and watching and being like "THIS IS AWESOME" and I couldn't break his heart).

What I'm saying is Atlus hire me as an editor

On a side note, I've been playing (i.e. watching on YouTube) Persona 4 Arena and it's actually kind of amazing how different writing directly for visual novels and... failing to do so... can make your piece. P4A's writing is slow and ponderous and about three times as large as it needs to be and it's only because I freaking love the characters and music and visuals that I sat through it all (and at one point my little brother was sitting next to me and watching and being like "THIS IS AWESOME" and I couldn't break his heart).

What I'm saying is Atlus hire me as an editor

Yeah, P4A was pretty plodding compared to P4 and even P3, which is no small feat considering the latter's story stagnated for over a month at one point. It's still quality for the most part (and is miles above that of most games nowadays in terms of wit alone), but not quite the ATLUS level I'm used to.

That being said, a slow pace can work if done right. The first 5 or so chapters of Ghost Trick were very meticulous, but they used their time well to establish the main cast and paint the world of the game.

Jintor

Sure but roughly 60% of P4A's text is either repeating 'jokes' (STEAK, Kanji's going to buttrape me, PROTEINPROTEINPROTEIN) or redundant internal monologue. I also think Persona's writing is just... like, supposed to work in conjunction to the crude in-engine animations in their games; I've been playing P3P and outside of the specially-made s.links for P3P, it just doesn't work as good because they attempt to reduce the animations down to lines of text and it comes off as if someone just flat-out converted a script into the actual text of the game.

Yeah, I think the main problem with P4A's writing is that the took one aspect of every character (i.e. Chie's STEAK, Yosuke's jerky-ness, Kanji's homosexuality, Akihiko's protein love) and made it their onlyaspect for the sake of jokes (The Animation did something similar too).

It's quite jarring, especially after playing through 2 70+-hour-long games that proved they were all much more than that. I can totally see where you're coming from now.

Chairhome

Confession: It was really late last night when I got to Q room and I wanted to watch the ending so I cheated on the last few puzzles. I don't really regret it since the puzzles take a backseat to the amazing story, but still, I do feel a bit bad.

Anyway, wow. Luna's ending was super sad. I picked Ally to get that ending, then I felt really, really bad jumping back and picking betray at that junction to see what would happen there.

The final endings were pretty great though. Nice setup. A bit TOO much of a cliffhanger though with Akane saying that Alice and Clover could be sent back (mind and body) and Kyle being all powerful for some reason and the only one that could stop the future from happening.

I gotta go through this thread to see if I missed anything, but that last bit with Kyle is the last ending, right?

Spierek

I gotta go through this thread to see if I missed anything, but that last bit with Kyle is the last ending, right?

Yes. Too bad the game doesn't state it clearly enough. After finishing the game I was jumping around the FLOW, looking for something more.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Clover was such a waste of a slot. I wonder if those huge fans of hers are even fans anymore...

Let's say that the main reason for Clover being there is merely a plot device:
Having her in this game is the only reason you wouldn't believe you're actually in 2074!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Let's say that the main reason for Clover being there is merely a plot device:
Having her in this game is the only reason you wouldn't believe you're actually in 2074!
Well, I guess her big purpose besides that was to have that 'connection' to Tenmyouji, since without knowing the reason for it, it might've seemed strange with any other old cast member. Felt like it was some believable grandpa-granddaughter level of trust they just kind of had before it was all revealed.

shtkn

why didn't dio figure that something was up during the one timeline where he didn't kill old akane?
i mean he was ko'ed, shouldn't he have been more suspicious and known something was wrong when he wakes up in a room with the bracelet after failing to kill old akane?
or should i attribute this to LOL MAGIC the shrodinger's cat explanation?

also was he infected by radical-6? how? if he wasn't, then he would have a major advantage vs the infected particiapnts and would easily win any physical altercation he got into.

why didn't dio figure that something was up during the one timeline where he didn't kill old akane?
i mean he was ko'ed, shouldn't he have been more suspicious and known something was wrong when he wakes up in a room with the bracelet after failing to kill old akane?

Why do you think that's the only timeline he sets up the bombs?

shtkn

huh? i never mentioned the bombs. i'm asking why he didn't behave significantly differently in the timeline where he fails to kill old akane.

getting attacked by an unknown assailant, noticing that the old woman never appears again, and being forced into the nonary game (even though that was his original intention) should certainly made him much more suspicious/cautious/different compared to the other timelines right?

The bombs are Dio's last resort to stop the AB project. In the timelines where Dio kills Akane there are no bombs because everything is going according to his plan (well, for the most part anyways), it is only when he doesn't get to kill Akane that he even bothers to set up the bombs. He has no idea of knowing where she is in that timeline, so what's the best way to ensure he can stop her and fulfill his mission? The antimatter bombs.

He definitely behaves differently.

shtkn

i could have sworn that he put up bombs in multiple (but not all) timelines. i guess i'll have to find a place to check if akane's body is discovered in those timelines.

if what you're saying is true though, then that makes sense.

Well, yes, he does it in multiple timelines, but all of said timelines are ones that split from when Akane is not killed (Sigma, Alice, and Phi).

jasonng

Finally finished the game and I have a lot of mixed feelings. A lot of it has already been echoed in this thread.

What I love about my trip through the game was how so much was going on that it gave enough for me (and I'm sure a lot others) to come up with incredibly outrageous theories (I briefly thought Quark was Zero at one point). So it was disappointing when approaching mid game to find how bland their motives are of Dio and Alice. Although having Dio being typically casted as the antagonist fitted very well with the plot, it didn't leave a lot of room for speculation once you figured him out and I'm certain a lot of us did very early on in the game. In my case, the way I jump through my paths I first found out that Dio was the one who killed the old lady but the reason wasn't given yet. At that time it was still up in the air who planted the bombs and whether there is a possibility that Dio could be part of SOIS. But once it was made clear that Alice and Clover were government agents it was obvious that Dio was the villain and the person who planted the bombs when you find out who the Myrmidons are. It was a letdown when you figure out early that there aren't multiple villains or more motives other than it being a spiritual mission.

My qualms were similar for the rest of the cast since a lot of them were already typecasted to a specific role from the get go that it made them less suspicious of being Zero. And that made Sigma EXTREMELY suspicious of being Zero or at least an agent of Zero from the start especially how the game was so deliberate on not showing his face. I was able to figure out a lot before their reveal which made them less impactful. I wasn't able to piece it all together until the reveal of the time jump though. VLR does deserve credit for that. The biggest WTF moment was the unmasking of K. That threw me for a loop.

And Clover can fuck right off. Easily the most annoying character in the game. In every aspect. Her stupidity really just took me out of any moment she's present in. It's hard to believe she's a SOIS agent regardless of her esper abilities.

Overall I did enjoy my time with VLR. It just left me unsatisfied. I found 999 a much more thrilling and surprising ride which is funny in contrast since it's less absurd than its sequel.

I just want to make sure I finished it.

The last reveal was that the clone kid was going back too right? And the 100 bikers convo? I got everything?

There are still so many questions I have!

Edit: Yeah okay I read up a bit. They should make that more clear.

Darktails

Herr_Edgeworth said:
- Uchikoshi said "?" is Blick Winkel, whoever that is.
This is quite an interesting name, since - in German -"Blickwinkel" means as much as perspective, point of view or vantage point.

This is quite an interesting name, since - in German -"Blickwinkel" means as much as perspective, point of view or vantage point.

Yes, correct!
If you play Ever17 you even understand why is it called Blickwinkel!
Blick Winkel is a character from Ever17. even if Uchikoshi said that ? is Blick winkel, it doesn't mean it's the same person, since Blick Winkel is more of a concept.
But, please, play Ever17!

Nohar

Just finished VLR. Obviously, I had to come here and read the reactions. The twits on the previous page are especially interesting :

In the 3DS escape parts, the bottom screen expresses what Sigma is seeing through his bionic eye.

Called it. Well, at the time, my very first theory was that Sigma was a complete robot because of this (and that was before I discovered he had special arms). I was genuily confused when it was revealed he wasn't a robot.

Only Akane knows about Santa's whereabouts.

Well, I was wondering where the hell was Santa during VLR... I guess I won't have my answers until Zero Escape 3.

I really hope we will see Snake and Santa again. I'm not sure I understood how Clover and Alice will be able to go back to their time though (Schroedinger's cat, huh...). Poor girl : I liked her a lot in 999, but in VLR I felt that her character was botched (and, well, I take issue with her new outfit). Fridge logic dictates that Snake is probably dead in VLR's timeline... Poor girl.

Also, I'm disappointed. Where is my axe ending ? *grins* Though, if something really disappointed me, I would say it was the fact that the game was subject to crashes during puzzle sections. Hopefully, it only happened once with me (in the dreaded PEC room), and thanks to NeoGAF (including some members in this very thread) I was able to learn about the bugs and to avoid them. Otherwise, it was pretty much guaranteed that I would have lost my save. So, once again : thank you. I just hope that the 3rd game won't suffer such problems : a story so great shouldn't be hindered by such game-breaking bugs.

Anyhow, as I said on the other thread : I guess I'm stuck on the same side as you until Zero Escape 3 is released. The waiting is already killing me.

NEO0MJ

Well, I was wondering where the hell was Santa during VLR... I guess I won't have my answers until Zero Escape 3.

But you already met him. Heck, you spend most of the game by his side.

I really hope we will see Snake and Santa again. I'm not sure I understood how Clover and Alice will be able to go back to their time though (Schroedinger's cat, huh...).

I think it will have to do with what Phi said in the library, how things in the future can effect the past. That is if Akane is even telling the truth about being able to send them back in time, which would kinda make the whole mess of sending everyone's mind into the past kinda pointless.

Vibed

But you already met him. Heck, you spend most of the game by his side.

Don't confuse him, it was never said that was Santa/Aoi.

What was said, however, was a certain quote from Uchikoshi. When designing Phi, Uckikoshi only told the artist to make her look like a female Santa. That does not necessarily mean she was Santa, but she does have an important connection to him.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them here!

wT9V4.gif

I am so excited right now.

It works, but it's getting HAMMERED.

Yeah, I have only been able to see like 5 so far :/

Q03: Are there plans to end the series after Zero Escape 3 – or continue it? How far ahead is the series being planned?

I plan on ending things with the 3rd volume. So basically it’ll be a trilogy.

So pretty much what everyone expected then :T

Top Bottom