• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR : Mario Kart 8 to feature a track editor?

I don't see it happening at all.
After the Custom Tracks fiasco and their attempt to ban people using them
I don't see why would they change their mind all of sudden allowing people to do
what they tried to stop a few years back.

I don't remember Nintendo trying to ban custom track users, ever. They don't even care about them using non-existing region codes. What episode are you talking about?

Why would Nintendo keep something like this a secret so close to launch? That seems like a killer feature that you'd want to start touting as early as the announcement trailer.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I don't see it happening at all.
After the Custom Tracks fiasco and their attempt to ban people using them
I don't see why would they change their mind all of sudden allowing people to do
what they tried to stop a few years back.
Not exactly comparable since one required hacking and this would be a built in feature.

IIRC Nintendo has said numerous times they don't like editors etc. cause it takes away from the crafted experience.
Well custom tracks could be rather simple and barebones much like the Super Circuit iterations of the SNES tracks compared to the originals. I doubt a bunch of simple mode7 like tracks maybe with a bit of elevation would prevent people from buying the next Mario Kart which will be home to well constructed tracks full of different mechanics.

Though I still take this with a massive pinch of salt thanks to GameE's post.

magnetic

IIRC Nintendo has said numerous times they don't like editors etc. cause it takes away from the crafted experience.

This is exactly the weird and arrogant reasoning I can see Nintendo using - a track editor "cheapening" the appreciation for their original, beautifully handwoven masterpiece tracks.

2zzrj1i.png

I actually kinda like this track. It´s still bullshit that such a simple tracks takes up a whole slot in a game that has to last for many years until the next game in the series comes out.

It´s also a shame that there has never been any kind of DLC for Mario Kart games.

It'd be awesome to make your own tracks, but I seriously doubt that's gonna happen. :(

Hell, I'd love for Nintendo to add a Career mode similar to Sonic Racing Transformed with various stuff you can do besides racing and battling. That Career mode was one of my favorite things about Sonic Racing Transformed. Even Mario Kart DS had optional missions you could do, and something Mario Kart 7 sadly lacked. :(

Megaton-level for me if true, but not holding my breath...

2zzrj1i.png

I actually kinda like this track. It´s still bullshit that such a simple tracks takes up a whole slot in a game that has to last for many years until the next game in the series comes out.

Baby Park is the shit man.

btkadams

if this is real, thank you sony and sega for making nintendo put WAY more effort into the mario kart series. can't wait for this one.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It would be amazing if true. Would also tie in to the Mario Kart 8 logo, with the 8 being a mobius loop, symbol of infinity - editor = infinite tracks.

On the 3DS, the Mario vs DK game, Pushmo and Crashmo all had built in level editors, so its not like its a shocking move for Nintendo.

spekkeh

Banned
Why would Nintendo keep something like this a secret so close to launch? That seems like a killer feature that you'd want to start touting as early as the announcement trailer.

This is a company that hasn't even marketed their new console in a number of regions, and thinks a video on their website is enough to get casuals to buy Wii Fit U. Logic goes overboard in Nintendo PR.

But yeah still.. sounds too good to be true.

On the other hand, with three months to go and Nintendo saying in January they would focus on adding more USPs to the Gamepad, it might simply be a late addition.

Zornica

Banned
Unlikely considering how complex the tracks are now, and the effort they've put into the environments. F-Zero on the DD was easier because they were just floating in 3D space.

I also think we would have heard about it by now because it would be an obvious use of the GamePad.

Would be awesome but I'm not getting any hopes up.

not necessarily... they could go do it like track mania:
Just create a huge "Wario Stadium" (Or a variety of different looking wario stadiums) that serve as starting ground with nothing but dirt and gras in it. From there it should be pretty easy, constructing tracks with dirt and steel.

there are other Nintendo games out there that are all about user created content (like Daigasso). I see no reason why this couldn't be another one.
At least I hope it will be. But based on the source, I doubt it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They've made one mention of MKTV and been silent on it despite signs for it all over the tracks. In fact they've technically not confirmed much apart from tracks, drivers and that it exists.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
In June of last year they said it was certainly interesting, though we shouldn't get our hopes up:
http://translate.google.com/transla...art-8-les-developpeurs-repondent-A110127.html

Of course that's not an outright dismissal and also long enough to mull it over and have one included after all.
Well, still not getting my hopes up, but I do wish Nintendo would realise this could almost be a game changer for the Wii U.

So, basically they say a simple editor like the one in Excitebike might be possible, but even that might be difficult due to the anti-gravity features of the game.

And I like the way google translated this:

Yes, we do not want the players eat too great expectations towards an editor either, so I do not think we should talk too much. (Laughs)

Eat your expectations people, it's probably not going to happen.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It could also be read not to expect too much from a track editor i.e. don't expect to make tracks that can rival their stuff, just SMK and SC at the most.

Though obviously while what they say is better than an outright dismissal it could also just be they didn't want to say anything overly negative about their own game.

oatmeal

Banned
Heh.

General rule of thumb when it comes to Nintendo:

If it sounds cool, people want it, and the other companies would probably include it...it's not going to happen.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly the weird and arrogant reasoning I can see Nintendo using - a track editor "cheapening" the appreciation for their original, beautifully handwoven masterpiece tracks.

2zzrj1i.png

It´s also a shame that there has never been any kind of DLC for Mario Kart games.

Woah, woah, woah. Don't talk trash about one of the best tracks in the game. A 20 Lap Race of that would be the hotness.

Exile20

2zzrj1i.png

What is this trash? Baby Park was fucking awesome.

What is wrong with some people?

It could also be read not to expect too much from a track editor i.e. don't expect to make tracks that can rival their stuff, just SMK and SC at the most.

Well, designing personal 'Mario Circuits' in SMK style would be quite awesome to me.

Something like the Modnation Racers editor would be nice, but I seriously doubt Mario Kart 8 will have a track editor.

i'm actually now expecting something like the level editor from smash bros brawl
AKA limited assets & rule customisation

Now if nintendo wants to got the mod nation route , good for them , they will /can suceed if they take advantage of the miiverse

If they ( nintendo ) don't follow those simple steps , then this track editor is doomed already.

Grizzo

Since I am reading all these positive reactions to this rumor, why on Earth can't Nintendo implement it?
Would it be such a demanding task?

I don't know if they can pull it off. And I think they'd rather get us stuck with 32 tracks, (and no DLC). I'm pessimistic when it comes to Nintendo, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Hoodbury

Heh.

General rule of thumb when it comes to Nintendo:

If it sounds cool, people want it, and the other companies would probably include it...it's not going to happen.

Yep, and same thing with the gamepad joke. Sad but true. The more awesome something sounds and it actually being feasible, the less likely it'll happen in a Nintendo game.

RagnarokX

Unfortunately I don't see this happening. Not Nintendo's cup of tea. Plus it would have to be stripped down if it was implimented at all. I don't see how they could let you design anti-gravity sections since that seems really complicated; LittleBigPlanet Karting couldn't even handle shuttle loops (they were in pre-beta screenshots and trailers but removed).

Remember the remake of Diddy Kong Racing on DS where you could make a custom track by drawing it on the touch screen? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD9dZ-z3BhE

Blues1990

2zzrj1i.png

I had never played Mario Kart: Double Dash, and after reading up on the Baby Park, what makes this particular track to be one of the best in the series?

Davey Cakes

I had never played Mario Kart: Double Dash, and after reading up on the Baby Park, what makes this particular track to be one of the best in the series?
I'd say it's a divisive track, myself.

The idea is that it's small. Simple. Short. More laps rather than length. It's truly like an amusement park ride in that sense. Also, the item variety in Double Dash made Baby Park CRAZY at times. You'd be dodging giant bowser shells, banana peels, and fireballs all over the place.

This was a retro track for MKDS, right? I kinda wish they'd saved it for MK8.

Top Bottom