• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enforced

DOOM was my GOTY 2016. The single player game is really something else. The Metroid Prime influence in the game is going to please many fans that haven't gotten a chance to play it yet on the other platforms.
Metroid prime influence? This game got my attention now.

DOOM was my GOTY 2016. The single player game is really something else. The Metroid Prime influence in the game is going to please many fans that haven't gotten a chance to play it yet on the other platforms.

So I'm not the only one then. When I was playing it during one of the free weekends, I was like "this is an awful lot like Metroid Prime."

In fact, aren't there a few former Retro employees at id now?

Yeah there are some Prime vibes. I mean even the map system is 100% ripped from Prime.

Both DOOM and Wolfenstein (at least the 1st) are some of the best FPS games of the last decade. No hyperbole

Them coming to Switch is maaaaaajorly positive news. People who haven't experienced these games should be hyped

I love Doom but I don't see the connection between it and Prime, frankly. It's a fast paced action game through and through, there's a little bit of collecting optional items but it lacks most of the exploration and storytelling elements of Metroid Prime. It definitely doesn't have the "get new item, unlock new areas and backtracking options" game design.

Is it just me, or are the details more well definited in the Switch version? Yeah, textures are lower quality, but the PS4 one looks more washed out? Same with the XBO shot. Look at the left side of the armor's chest area. There's just better contrast in the Switch screenshot.

I think that's just the lighting being different.

Keyouta

I loved DOOM, played it on PC. Maybe it's time to double dip? Wolfenstein II looks great, I hope it runs well on the Switch.

I love Doom but I don't see the connection between it and Prime, frankly. It's a fast paced action game through and through, there's a little bit of collecting optional items but it lacks most of the exploration and storytelling elements of Metroid Prime. It definitely doesn't have the "get new item, unlock new areas and backtracking options" game design.

Agreed. I adore DOOM '16 but I'm not seeing much Prime influence honestly

conpfreak

Yes, DOOM is a linear fast paced shooter experience throughout, but the comparison is more about higher level elements like the platforming segments and space jump, auto-map, weapon mods/upgrades from terminals, and the mood of dread to name a few. Even some of the gunplay felt familiar, like rocket launchers and missiles.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Wow, Bethesda must have liked what they saw in the Switch. Hopefully they do good numbers and others want to follow suit.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Mark brown of game maker's toolkit said that DOOM 2016 is the most nintendo game nintendo would never make.

This, Doom feels more like a Platinum action game than a slower paced Prime styled action adventure game to me.

HeroR

I just hope Nintendo fans get out there and support these games (provided they are good ports)

It would send a damn strong message to Western 3rd parties if Skyrim, DOOM, and Wolfenstein sell well

For me, there are two key factors. 60 FPS and motion controls. If they have these, I will consider buying. That is if I have time or money left after Mario, Zelda DLC, and Xenoblade.

EDarkness

I just hope Nintendo fans get out there and support these games (provided they are good ports)

It would send a damn strong message to Western 3rd parties if Skyrim, DOOM, and Wolfenstein sell well

I'll pick up both if they have gyro aiming. 60fps would be good, but maybe I could deal with that if I had gyro aiming. That's the biggest thing. I soooo hope they do, because I really wanted to get into DOOM on the PS4.

I don't see this as much of a surprise. The land is fertile for porting games over and testing the waters. I'm expecting similar moves from other publishers.

Magwik

Banned
SnapMap was really limited and shit.

Like it was framed as some revolutionary new feature where you could create anything, but people couldn't even recreate Classic Doom levels properly.
They'd also have to retroactively go back and vet every single thing made in snap map to make sure it works properly on the Switch version, and that's a lot of work for something that wasn't used much in the first place.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Bethesda must have see all the "Nintendo Switch is Doomed" posts half year ago, as requests for Doom on Nintendo Switch

jariw

For me, there are two key factors. 60 FPS and motion controls. If they have these, I will consider buying. That is if I have time or money left after Mario, Zelda DLC, and Xenoblade.

I think they could do some really cool things with HD Rumble here.

random25

I believe they will do well. Having this much of publicity being the first Western 3rd party (other than Minecraft by MS) to release their high profile or AAA games on the Switch will really help spread the word. Plus, being this early with no other competition to the genre will make their games easy options for buyers to select the game.

I don't see this as much of a surprise. The land is fertile for porting games over and testing the waters. I'm expecting similar moves from other publishers.

Them being this early in having these big games coming over is really a surprise. Last time people were wondering if Skyrim for Switch is not happening due to secrecy and all that, now they have 3 guaranteed games coming over to the system. Good job on Bethesda on betting on the Switch.

A testament to the flexibility and optimisation of IdTech 6, this. Also, Milkshake Nazi game on a Nintendo console what the fuck, right?

Taggen86

Very fascinating to see how it will run these and similar current gen AAA games.I think it might be possible run these games in 60 fps in 720p on low settings (or in 30 fps with some settings above low), which would be cool. The guy in the redit thread below got DOOM to run in 40 fps on low settings using a GeForce GT 420M, a 0.2 TF GPU. This suggests that the latest version of Idtech is really scalable. Switch has almost twice the flops and uses a more efficient architecture (maxwell) (it has less ram though, only 4GB),

https://www.reddit.com/r/lowendgaming/comments/4xuwxh/playing_doom_2016_on_a_low_end_computer/

If these games are successful I would bet we will see more 720p/low settings current games on switch

Mr Swine

Banned
I now wonder what kind of sales Bethesda and ID are hoping for with Doom and Wolfenstein. I think that Skyrim will probably paint us a picture on how well their games will sell.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Quoting myself from the other thread. This one is more appropriate.

So, can the "Switch can't run modern AAA games" arguments tone down now?

Sure, some games are easier to port to the console than others. Games that can't get good performance on the XB1 wouldn't probably be worth to try. Also, CPU heavy games would probably have to do gameplay compromises. Always online games and games with a constant stream of huge patches would face storage issues. But otherwise, the tech is there.

Switch is not a Wii, 3DS or Wii U. Its modern handheld hardware, that its closer to the x86 twins than the Vita was to the PS3.

Doom isn't a Prime copy verbatim, but I noticed almost instantly how much it reminded me of Prime. It's more in the way you move in the game, and the hud, and shit like that. Plus the map system and the (relative) focus on platforming. I saw a lot of Prime's DNA in the game, and it was one of the many reason's Doom 2016 was an amazing game.

Dunno if I'm gonna double dip on this, playing it at ultra on pc in 1440p then going down to Switch level graphics would be kinda hard, but portability is amazing. Either way, excited for all the people that might check it out for the first time. It's a damn fine experience.

Top Bottom