• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ouya $59 dollars after promo code: calamity

demolitio

It's really sad when I STILL have no interest in it at the price of a normal retail game.

I guess I just don't find it practical for me but I'm sure someone will like this deal. :)

Elvick

Banned
They probably should have gotten a less 'lol' worthy promo code.

"an event causing great and often sudden damage or distress; a disaster."

A calamity indeed.

Anyhoo, not worth $60 to me. I'd only consider it for $20 or less. Even then, I'd probably just pass.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd love to snap one up solely to use an an XMBC box, but I don't want to spend $60 outside of Steam this close to the Winter Sale.

Good to see this promo code get some more exposure outside of the OuyaForum - at $100, I already don't regret my purchase, but at $60, it's a no-brainer. The original game library isn't the greatest, but it does have a few games worth checking out beyond just using it as a streaming/emulator box.

HMmm i probably should just stick to using my note 2 to run games through the hdmi adapter lol. Oh well maybe when it hits less then 40 for the convenience factor.

jetsetrez

I wouldn't pay anything for it. They would have to pay me to take one, and then I would just throw it away and spend the dollars on a hamburger.

Onionkid

I don't really know anything about the Ouya...is it a full-on Android device? Could I use it to play media on the bedroom TV, stream things from my computer, etc? Or is it strictly for the games and a few select apps? I feel like for that price, with the controller along with it, that isn't terribly unreasonable if it could be used as a replacement to those little Chinese Android devices for the TV (think the one I use now is called the imito mx2).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The OUYA is still £99 in the UK. That's $162. I wrote to OUYA to complain about the UK pricing but they never got back to me.

SegaShack

I don't really know anything about the Ouya...is it a full-on Android device? Could I use it to play media on the bedroom TV, stream things from my computer, etc? Or is it strictly for the games and a few select apps? I feel like for that price, with the controller along with it, that isn't terribly unreasonable if it could be used as a replacement to those little Chinese Android devices for the TV (think the one I use now is called the imito mx2).

It runs an outdated Android OS with an outdated mobile chip. The controller I heard is cheap garbage that breaks easy. IMO its biggest mistake was making its own store instead of connecting to the android store. To run most android games on it you have to manually buy them off another machine and copy the files on to it. I would be hesitant to watch video on this, especially in HD, pretty sure there would be a lot of lag or a bad resolution.

fernoca

Meh! Why not?
Was planning on getting one anyway.
$59, free shipping and a $5 credit to buy something (or so the site claims).

After you put your billing and shipping address, right before you put your billing information
Yep.
Using Paypal, you just login with Paypal, verify the information, it sends you back to Ouya's site, put the code and that's it.

NiIRr5m.png

James Coote

Neo Member
The OUYA is still £99 in the UK. That's $162. I wrote to OUYA to complain about the UK pricing but they never got back to me.

You can order it online for $99, but you then have to pay 20% VAT and shipping on top of that, so it works out only just under £99 but with a lot more hassle. That £99 is basically VAT + GAME taking their cut, not really OUYA's fault.

____

As for OUYA 2, they've all but confirmed it'll be happening. I'm hoping they pitch it as a family friendly / party games console, as I think the games on it at the moment, that is where their strength lies. Plus, they've already announced they are going to be fixing the controller once and for all. Add in that you can use your old PS3 and Xbox360 controllers, and no reason why it can't succeed.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Hm, does it run these games:

Super Monkey Ball 2 Sakura Edition
Rayman Fiesta Run
Rayman Jungle Run
Sonic 2 with Hidden Palace Zone?

If yes, is it possible to get them on Ouya without owning any other Android device?

AbandonedTrolley said:
I'm fairly happy with my purchase, it runs as a silent XBMC unit in my bedroom. More powerful than the RaspberryPi when going using other skins and scrolling through large libraries.

Ouya as a micro-controller confirmed!

Top Bottom