• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

I think I finally figured out what's happening when NPC freighters get stuck in 'red alert' mode after a battle. I was helping out some Vy'keen capital ships against an attack (as if the Vy'keen need any help) and after the battle, I was flying around slowly near the huge Vy'keen freighter. I noticed a weird sound, and realized it was the sound of its turrets turning. They were tracking a trading ship that was flying nearby, but not firing.

So my guess is this bug happens when a friendly NPC ship accidentally hits a freighter. But there must be no code path for the freighter AI to actually fire on friendly NPCs, so it gets stuck in red alert mode (tracking the target, but not able to attack) until the next battle.

This has a secondary effect of trapping NPC trading ships that try to land at the freighter, similarly to how trading ships get stuck in the circle of doom at a planetary outpost. (Am I the only one that gets annoyed at all the engines blaring overhead?) Hello really needs to add some logic that will tell the AI to give up and find another trading area if they can't land after some amount of time has passed.

nice af cave shots
wGW8yqy.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man I have like literally done less than an hour of gaming this week, I really want to get back to this and deck out my freighter... and keep going through Let it Die, beat Titanfall 2 and FFXV and Bayonetta 2...

Man I have like literally done less than an hour of gaming this week, I really want to get back to this and deck out my freighter... and keep going through Let it Die, beat Titanfall 2 and FFXV and Bayonetta 2...

I've kind of stopped playing for now because I was getting burnt out grinding credits for a freighter. Compounding the grind is the fact that because the teleporter only holds four systems, I'm pretty much stuck, unable to actually explore new systems because I've already got money-making systems in the save slots.

And given the crazy amount of PS4 games coming in the next few months, it's just not a priority right now. So I'm basically waiting for the next update to drop, and hoping it will add some sort of dynamic job system I think many of us are looking for to add more replay value.

I've kind of stopped playing for now because I was getting burnt out grinding credits for a freighter. Compounding the grind is the fact that because the teleporter only holds four systems, I'm pretty much stuck, unable to actually explore new systems because I've already got money-making systems in the save slots.

And given the crazy amount of PS4 games coming in the next few months, it's just not a priority right now. So I'm basically waiting for the next update to drop, and hoping it will add some sort of dynamic job system I think many of us are looking for to add more replay value.

I hadn't touched the game in a while but played for a couple of hours today. The only thing curbing my enthusiasm about this game are the bugs. Between random crashes, glitches in quests (ex: I already HAVE a gravatino plant you motherf*****!!!), and finally, today, I encountered a glitch with my freighter for the first time where I entered my base area and found most of it just gone including my room with all of my storage containers. I thankfully was able to reload a previous save from the cloud but that was kind of the last straw.

I've already put probably hundreds of hours into NMS so I definitely feel like I got my money's worth (even paying full price at launch) but the bugs have finally killed it for me - at least for now.

EDIT: I did submit a bug report to HG and for those of you wondering what I had done to encounter the bug I did the following (NOTE: I have not done these steps over again to test whether it happens again or not):
1) My freighter was already in-system around planet A.
2) I had travelled around the system and ended up at another planet, I'll call it planet B.
3) I lifted off from planet B and summoned my freighter and then landed on it.
4) I then went back to my freighter base and encountered the glitch.

I do not know if it only happens when "re-summoning" your freighter within the same system (which I have done several times before and never had a problem) but when I warped into a new system and summoned my freighter I did not encounter the problem again.

I think from now on I will only summon my freighter once into a system, verify that my base is intact, and then leave my freighter there while in-system.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Hmm, weird. I guess I had about 2/3rds of the cost for a freight already and made another few mil in the system I was flying around, bought that freighter but haven't done much to build it up or done any base-building stuff yet either. Sounds like you played a fair bit prior to this and got some enjoyment out of the update at least though.

I hadn't touched the game in a while but played for a couple of hours today. The only thing curbing my enthusiasm about this game are the bugs. Between random crashes, glitches in quests (ex: I already HAVE a gravatino plant you motherf*****!!!), and finally, today, I encountered a glitch with my freighter for the first time where I entered my base area and found most of it just gone including my room with all of my storage containers. I thankfully was able to reload a previous save from the cloud but that was kind of the last straw.

Yeah, part of the reason I've been grinding for a freighter is because my base farmer questline is broken (on the pearl quest). Someone suggested doing it from a freighter will fix it. I'm surprised we didn't get a bugfix update this weekend; I guess they took a long holiday. But the Foundation update definitely added new gremlins.

Hmm, weird. I guess I had about 2/3rds of the cost for a freight already and made another few mil in the system I was flying around, bought that freighter but haven't done much to build it up or done any base-building stuff yet either. Sounds like you played a fair bit prior to this and got some enjoyment out of the update at least though.

I only had about 1.5m when Foundation update came out (I never used money exploits). So I've been grinding (also bought a new ship and did most of the base missions), and now have about 5.5m, but I just got tired of shooting rocks.

Oh yeah, the Foundation update added new life to the game for sure. But it's just ironic that the base teleporter actually made exploring harder, though if I had a freighter it wouldn't be a problem because I wouldn't be stuck to my home base system. I'm just taking a break and hoping they add a job system so I can do take on some jobs to make money besides farming stuff.

Oh yeah, the Foundation update added new life to the game for sure. But it's just ironic that the base teleporter actually made exploring harder, though if I had a freighter it wouldn't be a problem because I wouldn't be stuck to my home base system. I'm just taking a break and hoping they add a job system so I can do take on some jobs to make money besides farming stuff.

I'd absolutely love a job system. Let me land on a space station and go to a terminal/noticeboard and take on bounty hunts, exploration missions, freighter defence, join up with a squadron to attack a pirate stronghold, etc. Would certainly add some variety to the space portion of the game. I suppose they could add jobs for the surface too like collect data on flora and fauna, investigate ruins, etc.

Foundation definitely breathed new life into the game but once again I've shelved it so I can focus on other games. Looking forward to and can't wait to return once the next major update hits.

I'd absolutely love a job system. Let me land on a space station and go to a terminal/noticeboard and take on bounty hunts, exploration missions, freighter defence, join up with a squadron to attack a pirate stronghold, etc. Would certainly add some variety to the space portion of the game. I suppose they could add jobs for the surface too like collect data on flora and fauna, investigate ruins, etc.

Foundation definitely breathed new life into the game but once again I've shelved it so I can focus on other games. Looking forward to and can't wait to return once the next major update hits.

Yeah, that could be a lot of fun. I'd personally like to see some kind of nemesis system where you take on pirate armadas or something similar. Maybe we could get a free freighter if we manage to board and take over a nemesis' freighter. And maybe as an incentive to do so, you'd get unique looking ones with some kind of rare resource node inside in the back rooms.

Minamu

Is it just me or is my game looking too zoomed in? I can't see my ship's speed anymore basically, unless I boost. But my ps4 area settings are maxed out and within the tv's borders.

Edit: Same thing happens in my inventory, the left half of the first column is always outside the screen, it didn't used to do this, yeah?

LYCRhHW.jpg

Minamu

Have you changed the wide mode setting on your TV? Maybe it is set to zoom or something?
No it says 16:9 and there is no just scan option as far as I can see. Editing the ps4 screen area setting does nothing. Overscan is turned off, on zooms it in even further. Same tv and cable as always. Well not exactly true, I'm now playing on a pro with its new hdmi. Does it matter what resolution you put the console in? I had it on automatic but recently switched to 1080, same as tv. Of course, the menus are easy to fix by simply moving the cursor but still.

Unicorn

any hints/credible rumors as to when the next content update will drop?

Curious about this as well.

Also, still haven't resolved the screen tearing/stutter on my PC since the Foundation update. Can't figure it out and it's stopped me from playing this past month or so.

NotSelf

Where do you guys keep your storage containers? Currently I have all of them at my base was thinking of putting them all on the freighter to have more space to build.

Where do you guys keep your storage containers? Currently I have all of them at my base was thinking of putting them all on the freighter to have more space to build.

Why not both? Mine are currently all in my base because I rarely use my freighter (it's not hugely convenient to plan a big expansion of the base and then constantly have to fly off-planet to load up on resources). But you could always split them; keep a couple around your base for crafting resources to expand, put the rest on your freighter.

Since I concentrate mainly on exploring but am still a bit of a hoarder, all of my storage containers are in my freighter. I find it much more convenient to just summon my freighter and land on it to unload/sell my ill-gotten gains and then just travel to the next world or system.

I haven't been to my home base in a long time...

Minamu

Is there a visible limit, like a gauge, for how big your base can be? I just got to it yesterday sort of, and made som small rooms for the first two employees and some 4 or 5 storage containers, but I haven't seen anything indicating how close to maximum I am.

NotSelf

Since I concentrate mainly on exploring but am still a bit of a hoarder, all of my storage containers are in my freighter. I find it much more convenient to just summon my freighter and land on it to unload/sell my ill-gotten gains and then just travel to the next world or system.

I haven't been to my home base in a long time...

Thanks I decided to put everything on the freighter last night.

Is there a visible limit, like a gauge, for how big your base can be? I just got to it yesterday sort of, and made som small rooms for the first two employees and some 4 or 5 storage containers, but I haven't seen anything indicating how close to maximum I am.

I think you will see it when it reaches 90 percent on lower bottom right corner.

Thanks I decided to put everything on the freighter last night.

I think you will see it when it reaches 90 percent on lower bottom right corner.

Be aware that one time (and only one time) I encountered a weird bug where I had summoned my freighter within the same system (i.e. I had summoned it near me when it was already in that same system) and after landing on the freighter almost all of my rooms. including the ones with the storage containers, were just gone. Since the game saves when you exit your starship I couldn't go back to my previous save - I had to go to the cloud and pull down my most recent cloud save and download it to my PS4. I was scared I had lost everything (or would at least have to rebuild the storage containers which would be a pain). I had posted about this a few pages back and I submitted a bug report to Hello Games about it.

I'm now worried about that same bug hitting me again every time I land on my freighter but it seems to have only happened after re-summoning it within the same system (even though I've done that a ton of times).

I could be wrong but I believe that I have heard of a similar bug affecting bases on planets too so it might just be a bug with bases in general and not specifically related to freighters.

But just letting you know...

I'm surprised that the updates have already stopped...there were many bugs introduced by the Foundation update, and thought Hello would release bugfix updates until they were all fixed, as they did at launch.

I had hoped Hello would be more communicative about future plans post-Foundation, but it seems they plan to just maintain this trend of radio silence until whenever they decide to release another mystery set of features. I don't think it's very good community management, but I guess they were really shook by the original backlash and don't want to make promises they can't keep.

So i had some extra time today and turned the recent LEGO x-wing microfighter into the Domanish S84 pre-order ship from No Man's Sky. I started building it right after stirpping it for parts to give to the TIE Interceptor i was making of the TIE Advanced prototype microfighter

Reference image:
http://nms.mindcandy.at/images/ships/DomanishS84.jpg

no doubt the ship had some inspiration from the X-Wing, and its nice to return the favor

Very cool!

I'm gonna fire this up again this evening. Time to find the galactic hub and start building.... or I'll just find a vortex cube planet and set up shop there. Yeah I'll do that.

mf.luder

I went to the rental store yesterday and was seeing what they had and I thought about No Man's Sky for a second but I think I'll wait and see what else they put out.

Minamu

Dp I guess.

I have some questions about the extreme sols trophies. Are they stacking these days or do they reset when you enter ships etc? Iirc they changed this somehow way back. There are two extreme trophies, are they just stages of the same type?

Finally, my home base is on a heavy rain planet, and the text is red, does that count as an extreme planet? I've heard that any planet with red text counts but my rain isn't harmful in any way, it's just a damn lot of water :lol Could you just stay indoors for several hours in your base?

Does anyone have a link to gallery with all the different freighter ship designs?

Got a 15 slot freighter, I'm assuming I have to upgrade these like the ship and move up one or two slots at a time?

I've started the base building stuff as well, on a planet with Veridum, sac venom and some new element I need hazmat gloves to grab.

I warped to a new system and was instantly attacked by crazy triangle(sentinel) ships in never ending waves. Burned though all my resources taking out ships for about 30-45 min and eventually docked in the space station. No matter how many I took out, more would spawn in groups of three. Anyone else had this?

Minamu

I want to make some cash, what's the best way these days? I've done all base quests and I have about 5 pearl plants going. Should I switch to lubricants or do something else? Could use some base construction tips as well for this purpose. Are there any guides out there? Is there a point to having other kinds of plants after the quests are done?

I want to make some cash, what's the best way these days? I've done all base quests and I have about 5 pearl plants going. Should I switch to lubricants or do something else? Could use some base construction tips as well for this purpose. Are there any guides out there? Is there a point to having other kinds of plants after the quests are done?

Lubricant is far and away the fastest, but with pearls you can set them and forget them; lubricant requires a boring crafting loop that you can't automate. That said, pearls also take a lot of difficult resources (Rigogen being particularly onerous). If you want to make money quickly, get 80 Mordite plants going, harvest, make lubricant, sell, and by that point your plants should be ready for harvest again. This will net you $25 million or so per hour and drive you absolutely mental. I scrapped my Mordite farm for pearls, but hunting down all that Rigogen takes a long, long, long time; it's just slightly more entertaining than crafting Lubricant. Whichever way you go, you'll need a lot of plants; my pearl farm is 120+ plants deep. I can harvest, sell, explore the galaxy for 20 minutes, and then come back and do it again.

After finishing the quests, there's no reason to keep a farm of anything, necessarily, although it can add some nice color depending on how you set things up. And obviously there's the benefits of the cash crops.

Minamu

Lubricant is far and away the fastest, but with pearls you can set them and forget them; lubricant requires a boring crafting loop that you can't automate. That said, pearls also take a lot of difficult resources (Rigogen being particularly onerous). If you want to make money quickly, get 80 Mordite plants going, harvest, make lubricant, sell, and by that point your plants should be ready for harvest again. This will net you $25 million or so per hour and drive you absolutely mental. I scrapped my Mordite farm for pearls, but hunting down all that Rigogen takes a long, long, long time; it's just slightly more entertaining than crafting Lubricant. Whichever way you go, you'll need a lot of plants; my pearl farm is 120+ plants deep. I can harvest, sell, explore the galaxy for 20 minutes, and then come back and do it again.

After finishing the quests, there's no reason to keep a farm of anything, necessarily, although it can add some nice color depending on how you set things up. And obviously there's the benefits of the cash crops.
Thanks :D I have around 50 Mordite plants and a full ship and some on my character give me around 3 mil at the moment, which is great so far :) I'm gonna need a bigger ship!

Nerix

I just started the game and made my third warp jump (on the way to my first atlas visit).

Is it safe to sell those green trade commodities, or do you need them for anything else? Any other tips for someone who just started his journey are welcome ;)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I just started the game and made my third warp jump (on the way to my first atlas visit).

Is it safe to sell those green trade commodities, or do you need them for anything else? Any other tips for someone who just started his journey are welcome ;)

You can just sell them. I don't think there is anything to craft with them

5taquitos

I'm pretty disappointed that HG has decided to go silent between updates. I get why, but it seems they went too far in the opposite direction. I would love to see a bit of a roadmap for where this is going, or even ensure that it's still alive.

If not a roadmap, I'd at least like to see them talk about potential upcoming features. Hello certainly is shit at managing a community. The only thing that makes me think they're still working on another update is the activity on their Twitter account retweeting screenshots.

Well, going by what he's now said, I'm surprised they didn't go under instantly. That they've released a major update and are still working on it is a miracle. With one person working on half a million crash reports, it's hardly surprising that they haven't said much. If it was me, I would never speak again.

Nerix

Hmm, encountered the last Atlas Interface with just eight stones and now I can't finish the Atlas path anymore... Quite annoyed about that. I didn't sell any of the stones, so wondering where I should have missed two of them.

At the end of the Atlas path I am appr. 170k light years away from the center - how long does it take to get there? With black holes a few jumps?

c0Zm1c

At the end of the Atlas path I am appr. 170k light years away from the center - how long does it take to get there? With black holes a few jumps?

I must have gone through dozens of black holes trying to get to the centre and it seemed like I wasn't getting any closer (some have speculated that back holes might be bugged?) So I gave up.

Top Bottom