• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austrian Police raids Lego Store because of Ninjago Figure

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Austria confirmed as joke-country.

Link to tweet

image.png

Polizei stürmt Lego Store in Wien.
Grund: Verstoß gegen das Vermummungsverbot

Police raids Lego Store in Vienna.
Reason: Violations against head covering ban

Official Twitter Accoun of the Police of Vienna

Wir bestätigen den Einsatz nach Aufforderung. Da es sich um Vermummung im Rahmen der Berufsausübung handelt, kein Verstoß gegen das AGesV

We confirm the raid after request. No violations of AGesV (head covering ban) because it happened in the course of a job.

Earlier the month, a women was appropriated because she looked at hear handy while wearing a scarf (No joke! Cant find a picture right now, maybe someone finds some because I have seen them) and a dude in a shark costume

The ban for covering the face of course aims at banning burqas in the public.

Joeytj

Banned
OP, put up a larger screenshot or link to the original Tweet. That screenshot is way too small.

And yeah, this is ridiculous. Do police in Vienna have nothing better to do? I can't imagine the officers who had to go and check out the Lego figure not being pissed of wasting their time on this.

"Raid" is pretty clickbait.
The police acted by request, that means someone called them and reported that a law was being violated. They then send officers to check it out and decide if that's the case and if action needs to be taken. They decided that it was fine.
They can't just start ignoring reports, but the new law is iffy

GAMEPROFF

Banned
i don't understand anything you said
There is a law in austria that bans covering up the face.
There was a Ninja figure in a Lego Store.
The police „raided“ the store because of the figure with the covered face.

Additional examples of what silly incidents were caused by the law close my OP

The police „raided“ the store because of the figure with the covered face.

Again: They didn't raid the store. If it was just up to the police they prob wouldn't have even looked twice at it since it's not a violation of the law (as they stated after going to the store). However, someone called them and said they should go to the store, which is what they did.
The law is dumb, but calling two police officers going into a store after being called there a "raid" is just ridiculous

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Again: They didn't raid the store. If it was just up to the police they prob wouldn't have even looked twice at it since it's not a violation of the law (as they stated after going to the store). However, someone called them and said they should go to the store, which is what they did.
The law is dumb, but calling two police officers going into a store after being called there a "raid" is just ridiculous
Its almost like there is a reason i used „...“

sadly, I cant edit the threadtitle, so we have to wait for a mod to come in.

Looks like people are trolling the new law. Good. Racist piece of fuck.

It's exactly this. People are pointing out the flawed nature of the law by wasting police time.
I do wonder how countries like France and Belgium manage the enforcement of their laws regarding this issue

It's exactly this. People are pointing out the flawed nature of the law by wasting police time.
I do wonder how countries like France and Belgium manage the enforcement of their laws regarding this issue

Well France can't even stop people from building barricades on road regularly in Calais so I doubt they are capable of enforcing it.

Yeah, police has to go there if they're called by a citizen, regardless if the law is actually getting violated or not.

The thing is, I feel like a lot of those incidents are happening in order to put pressure onto the government to revise the law. The other day they were sent to check out the mascot of the parliament. That was a clear attempt at a message I feel.

Fliesen

the other case the OP is referring to is a woman wearing a woolen scarf and when looking down at her phone, most of her face (mouth and nose) was covered, which police considered in violation of the law.

good citizen:

terrorist / unwilling to integrate / needs to be freed of her oppression :

Oh, btw, as you might expect, that lady's been doxed and severely harassed by right wing misogynists over the last few days. Because she dare speak up against a silly right-wing law. Who'd have thunk...

Won

That's why whenever you try to pass a new law, you have to think how it would affect Ninjas first.

Halloween is gonna be fun for the police.

Top Bottom