• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

LOL. The german title for Thor: Ragnarok is Thor: Day of Decisions.

WHY

Judgement Day would be a more appropriate translation in this case imo.

Still wtf though.

They have changed titles for the German market before but this is the first time they went with an actual German title. Weird.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That dad pic is hilarious. I can confirm my niece thinks I'm way cooler than her dad. :p

Pachimari

New stills from Spiderman: Homecoming. Not sure if they've already been posted? If so, forgive me.

Plus, some new shots of totally not Mary Jane Watson.
They were linked to but not posted in the old thread. It looks good, I'm starting to really anticipate Homecoming.

That said, I've been a little bummed out about Doctor Strange and GotG2, although Doctor Strange was better on a rewatch. Civil War have made me feel much better about the MCU in general. But the two aforementioned movies cooled my hype meter.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its almost as bad as Spider-Man 2: The Return of the Super-Hero, the almost title of Amazing Spider-Man 2. The first one was also called Amazing Spider-Man by the way.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
And: Thor 2: The Dark World doest exist in germany.

We have Thor 2: The Dark Kingdom. But there is never a Kingdom mentioned.

SpaceWolf

Banned
That said, I've been a little bummed out about Doctor Strange and GotG2, although Doctor Strange was better on a rewatch. Civil War have made me feel much better about the MCU in general. But the two aforementioned movies cooled my hype meter.

I'd definitely been feeling disillusioned with Marvel movies for a while, having ended up really disliking Doctor Strange whilst finding Civil War really very unsatisfying (at a time while everyone seemed to rave about it as one of the best comic book movies of all time).

However, Guardians Volume 2 and the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok have definitely gotten me excited again, although I'm really starting to get worried about Spiderman: Homecoming. Everything I've been hearing about the direction they've taken with the film is really turning me off. I pray I'm wrong though, considering Spiderman is unquestionably my absolute favourite Spiderman character and that I've been anticipating his solo movie for a while now.

El Topo

Well, in all fairness, I think they might use the term 'kingdoms' early in the German version when talking about the realms?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
However, Guardians Volume 2 and the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok have definitely gotten me excited again, although I'm really starting to get worried about Spiderman: Homecoming. Everything I've been hearing about the direction they've taken with the film is really turning me off. I pray I'm wrong though, considering Spiderman is unquestionably my absolute favourite Spiderman character and that I've been anticipating his solo movie for a while now.

Its not the direction on my side, its just that the trailer look pretty bland next to the amazing ones of Guardians and Thor.
I expect something along 75-80 RT Score.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Its not the direction on my side, its just that the trailer look pretty bland next to the amazing ones of Guardians and Thor.

I was actually reading an interview from one of the producers last night, and I'm absolutely hating how they're turning Spiderman into a high-tech, Iron Man style hero. It really flies in the face of what I really like about the Spiderman.

Once those training wheels come off, as it were, so it sort of sounds like JARVIS. Will he have a voice inside, like literally?

Eric Carroll: He does. He does. Which surprises him, because he doesn't until Tony deactivates that... deactivates the [Training Wheels] protocol. So the suit starts doing a bunch of stuff. You know, it does a holographic interface, and things like that. But probably most notably, it starts talking to him, and he goes, ‘Oh, this is weird.' And he starts asking it stuff, but he's not super slick or Tony Stark smart, who invented the OS and did all this. He's a kid. So he's like, ‘Um, how do I get to where that thing is?' And it's like, ‘Um, I don't know. Pretty much drive? How are you going to get there?' And he's like, ‘Um, if I didn't have a car, let's just say, how would I get there?' And it's like, ‘Well, if you walk...' And he's like, ‘No, OK, alright... I guess just give me directions and I'll figure out the HOW I'm getting there.'

In the comics, one of the endearing things about Spider-Man is that you would come and see Peter Parker in his apartment having to clean his suit or whatever. Obviously now he has some kind of super suit. Is this sort of the vision of Spider-Man going forward, more high-tech, or do we see a return to...

Eric Carroll: It is. I think that's one of the fun things about it, is that in this tech-based... that's one of the differences I think, pretty much in bringing Spider-Man to the MCU, is the sort of tech spin. Whereas, in the other Spider-Men, you sort of dealt with, like, science – not that science and tech have to be completely divulged. But it was sort of like, scientific accidents gave almost everyone their powers in all five of the previous ones. So when we looked to reinvent the movie, we looked at what sort of tact we could take. And one was that all of the MCU movies try to have this quasi-plausibility, you know what I mean? As much as we can... we try to make it feel like the world we live in. And we felt like if a kid is running around in a skin-tight suit with all of these cool features, it's probably going to be pretty high tech.

Is that... so the stinger in Civil War, where the hologram on the ceiling. What is that? Is that going to play into this? Is that how he is contacting Happy?

Eric Carroll: No, no. He just calls him. When he tries to contact him, he calls on his three-year-old cell phone that he has, with a cracked screen and stuff. That is sort of the interface for the web shooters. So even before he deactivates the Training Wheels Protocol, he's got a really high-tech web shooter. And one of the ideas is that when he does this [movement] he can adjust the spray, and he can even scroll through different web settings, like spinning web, web ball, ricochet web... you know, all of the stuff we can see him do in the comics, Tony has built into this. That was sort of unlocked for him. So when he shines that, it will go [boom noise], and if he wants to shoot just the one swinging web, it will go down really small. And if he wants to web a guy to the wall, it goes [makes noise] and goes like that. It's kind of like a DSLR camera. He can shoot without it, or he can hold that thing a second, get his aiming right, and really choose a web to shoot.

With the suit unlocked, can you talk about some of the other abilities and features?

Eric Carroll: Sure. He figures out it has a heater, which might have come in handy in the other ones. He finds out that it lights up. At an inopportune time, he finds that out. At one point, there's... the Spider logo on his chest goes [makes motion with hands] and floats off and starts giving him surveillance data, and he's like, ‘What?' In fact, that startles him when it happens because he didn't even know that would happen. ... Long story short, we tried to look through the comics and pull out all of the sort of fun and wacky things that Steve [Ditko] did, which seemed even harder to explain when he built it in his own bedroom. So, like, there's an air bag at one point. What else? There are different sorts of webs that he can unlock, too. He has one that can sort of tase people. One that shoots multiple webs at the same time out of one wrist – like, it shoots in two or three different directions.

giphy.gif

The kid is starting to sound like Blue Beetle or something.

El Topo

I have to agree with SpaceWolf here. Don't really like the sound of that. Outside of the supporting cast I'm not really sold on the new movie. Holland hasn't really impressed me either.

Pachimari

What I like primarily is that they are going for this young Peter Parker with a high school cast. I love this era of Spider-Man and that seems to be what I am getting. I love that latest clip of him going in the window and closing it with his foot, for Ned to all surprised and wanting to try on the suit himself. I want a whole lot of high school stuff going on.

I also like the look of the Vulture but it remains to be seen if Marvel studios can make a compelling character out of him. Anyway, I've been waiting on a film adaptation of Vulture since the original trilogy.

I do not like all of the high tech stuff and Tony Stark influence they've been showing off though. I think he has five to six scenes in the final film? But it still feels like a lot but that might be the marketing doing their job.

[edit] And yeah, everything I read in that interview snippet above, I hate.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Nah. Seems clear to me this is part of his character arc.

Whether his character arc is going to revolve around simply earning the suit or actually growing beyond it is something that's still up in the air for me. Obviously, I hope it's the latter.

I guess we'll see.

Nah. Seems clear to me this is part of his character arc.

Nah. Spiderman will definitely have the Ironman built suit back by Infinity war, whether that happens in the end of the Spiderman film after he's proven himself by whatever happens during the film, or near the start of infinity war when Tony picks him up again for help, he isn't going to end up fighting Thanos in his home made suit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Nah. Spiderman will definitely have the Ironman built suit back by Infinity war, whether that happens in the end of the Spiderman film after he's proven himself by whatever happens during the film, or near the start of infinity war when Tony picks him up again for help, he isn't going to end up fighting Thanos in his home made suit.

Tony can take the training wheels out.

Quick

Banned
Because I couldn't find a flat version of it.

If you ever need to have a flat version of any logo (provided they're png files with no background) and use Photoshop, just right click on the image layer, select Layer Styles, then select Colour Overlay. Pick a colour (or use the eye dropper tool to pick the colour from the logo), and you have a flat logo.

Homecoming was always going to have trouble following up on Doctor Strange and Guardians visually, what with a lot of the film being set in a New York high school

I must admit the suit modifications don't really bother me too much. I thought they'd try and make the suit a bit different in this compared to the previous Spider-Man films, especially after Tony becomes Peter's mentor. I've got used to the idea of him having more tech at his disposal after reading Slott's book, though it would be nice if Peter's the one upgrading it.

The Kree

Banned
If you ever need to have a flat version of any logo (provided they're png files with no background) and use Photoshop, just right click on the image layer, select Layer Styles, then select Colour Overlay. Pick a colour (or use the eye dropper tool to pick the colour from the logo), and you have a flat logo.

That doesn't work well when the logo has off-center depth like the Captain Marvel logo.

Captain-Marvel-Movie-New-Logo.jpg

The overlay would also cover the depth parts and it looks bad. I didn't feel like cutting out the front face from the other planes yesterday. I'll do it eventually.

shingi70

Banned
Hi Tech spider-man is pretty lame early on. Like having a heater in the costume means we won't get to see Spider-Man wearing socks and a hoodie over his costume.

Quick

Banned
I forgot it had the depth.

If you're comfortable with the pen and/or marquee tool, you should be able to trim it off. But really, it's not a big deal.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
https://www.backstage.com/news/casting/atlanta-now-casting-background-marvels-avengers-feature-more/

Infinity War casting details:

Marvel's imminent ”Avengers" installment, ”Avengers: Infinity War," is looking for Atlanta talent to fulfill stand-in roles.

The feature seeks a female aged 20–49 with a dark complexion and who either is ”bald or [has] very short, black hair" to serve as a stand-in. Additionally, African American males ages 21–49 are needed, also for stand-in gigs.

Will we see this in Infinity War?

CgqI5BBWkAApL8Y.jpg

Pachimari

James Gunn revealed in a Facebook Live chat, that he almost didn't return to direct Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 because (GotG2 spoiler)
Michael Rooker wouldn't be in it

"Let me tell you, there was nothing harder for me than the choice to
kill Yondu in this
movie.
Michael Rooker
, for all the crap I give him, is one of my closest friends in the world and the last thing I wanted to do was to make a movie
without Michael Rooker in the
future. I almost didn't do Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 because there was no
Michael Rooker in it
and I couldn't see making the movie without him. He means that much to me and I love him that much."

Artist Kevin Chen has also revealed some alternate designs for Ayesha and Ego:

Pachimari

But then The Belko Experiment flopped and he was like fuck it, I need to recoup.
That's more like it lol.

Today is the ABC upfronts, so we'll probably get confirmation as to how many episodes Agents of Shield will get next season. They could also just dumb it sometime this week according to Penguin our champ.

Top Bottom