• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft mismanagement ofthird party partnerships leaving developers in a bad state?

Sydle

Wow, I have never read that Phantom Dust story.

Pretty fucked up.

It's not that fucked up once you see that Darkside agreed to the scope changes without a budget increase and bet they'd be able to secure more funding after the fact.

Peltz

Gaming was better before MS entered the industry and it will be better if they leave.

The PS4 is mostly unchallenged this gen and we're looking at a gaming resurgence not seen since the PS2 days. The PS360 gen where MS was competing heavily was a poor one in terms of quality and diversity of games and many of the reasons for this can be directly traced back to MS.

Citation needed.

Peltz

You post a story about company histories and choose to completely ignore what abrasive, cock blocking cunts Nintendo were during the 80s and 90s. Behaviour which has - at least in part, effectively cut them off from 3rd parties to this day.

Right.

Exactly. Let's not also forget that Sony also pulled the plug on a ton of studios last year and left the devs of Rime twisting in the wind.

All three console manufacturers have their cold business side.

WadeitOut

Gaming was better before MS entered the industry and it will be better if they leave.

The PS4 is mostly unchallenged this gen and we're looking at a gaming resurgence not seen since the PS2 days. The PS360 gen where MS was competing heavily was a poor one in terms of quality and diversity of games and many of the reasons for this can be directly traced back to MS.

I like Microsoft exclusives more than I like Playstation exclusives.

So I'd love to hear you apply this logic to me. I was 100% PC gaming until Gears of War.

Can you elaborate on what this means?

Sure. During the PS2 era, the console with the overwhelming lion's share of the market was able to have such a large install base and mindshare that devs were guaranteed that a niche existed for their title if it was a good game. So the PS2 had a vast array of smaller and mid-budgeted titles which filled a variety of niches. This is, incidentally, why PC gaming is such an indie haven.

The PS4 is going to have a similar dominance this gen, and we are seeing a dramatic return of otherwise economically infeasible niche titles. The return of the JRPG to home consoles after years of exile on 3DS and Vita is just one example of this.

The PS4 is going to have a similar dominance this gen, and we are seeing a dramatic return of otherwise economically infeasible niche titles. The return of the JRPG to home consoles after years of exile on 3DS and Vita is just one example of this.

Are we really seeing a dramatic return of JRPGs to home consoles?

vpance

MS should definitely stick around. But only if they're limited to 30% of the market share, max. Have to keep them humble, but scrappy.

Peltz

Sure. During the PS2 era, the console with the overwhelming lion's share of the market was able to have such a large install base and mindshare that devs were guaranteed that a niche existed for their title if it was a good game. So the PS2 had a vast array of smaller and mid-budgeted titles which filled a variety of niches. This is, incidentally, why PC gaming is such an indie haven.

So gaming sucked last gen because Microsoft had success and JRPGs were most on handhelds?

Okay bro. That's some objective criteria you have there. What if someone enjoys more variety?

It's not that fucked up once you see that Darkside agreed to the scope changes without a budget increase and bet they'd be able to secure more funding after the fact.

What were they supposed to do when the cancellation of this project would mean laying of all employees?

(emphasis added)

Your claim that Platinum is incompetent is based on at least two points you haven't substantiated:
-milestones clearly defined in contract
-deliverables were clearly defined in contract

However, the available sources note that the second was not the case.

But clearly everyone else is the fanboy when you're willing to assume the answers to the central questions.

Platinum games have been incompetent; They had 4 years millions from MS and still they couldn't deliver or even come close to giving us a release date after 4 years, so sorry the buck stops with them. Always thought the corp was way overrated, much like their games and it's not like their games sell systems anyway. MS should have stayed with FromSoftware after their brilliant workings on the original Xbox.

You name any major corp with 4 years of development and millions spent, that would be ready to put yet more money into the project with no release date and members of the team off on the sick

Papacheeks

Banned
Platinum games have been incompetent; They had 4 years millions from MS and still they couldn't deliver or even come close to giving us a release date after 4 years, so sorry the buck stops with them. Always thought the corp was way overrated, much like their games and it's not like their games sell systems anyway. MS should have stayed with FromSoftware after their brilliant workings on the original Xbox.

You name any major corp with 4 years of development and millions spent, that would be ready to put yet more money into the project with no release date and members of the team off on the sick

Bioshock infinite? Which bankrupt the studio? Had to have outside source Rod from Epic to help get the game gold to ship?

Even then the game was cut down from what it was originally and that was not 2k's fault that was Ken levine changing game mechincs and design strats mid production. There was talks for vita version and they even were given an extension before Rod came in to add multiplayer which they couldn't get working. They were a straight up money pit to 2k. PG doesn't have a track record of A. costing a lot in terms of their work force and the time frame at which they can release a game. B They've shipped multiple games some multiplatform, some exclusive on many consoles without issues till this point.

So something has changed in what or how they were developing this game for them to have such strain and stress to deliver.

AAK

It's nice to cherry pick I guess:

Here's a continuation of that info from ign article

Game did not have legs and under performed straight up. AI believe there's even a old NPD thread here about it from 2012 someone can look up.

But it did not do well. Like others have pointed out from your previous posts the situations are not the same at all. Scalebound was a known game, anounced to the public, shown at couple trade shows and demoed to the press behind closed door.

Stig's game couldn't pass verticle slice previews which means the game wasn't even ina fit state to show to the public. It was canned before it even was announced. Fable legends and Scalebound were announced, being played by people in beta's(in fables case) and anticipated as part of MS lineup. Stig's game was in the shadows that onyl leakers and insiders somewhat knew about.

Cherry Picking? LOL. I posted an official statement from Sony, you've inked me an opinion piece. And speaking about NPD's, PSABR was one of the few titles at the time which had a simultaneous BRD and PSN release. It maintained placings on the PSN best seller's lists even after release. That's something no other fighting game this generation has managed to do whether it be SFV, Guity Gear, Blazblue, KOFXIV, or Injustice. But yeah, let's keep blaming Superbot while Sony remains completely innocent for all their layoffs.

And Scalbound's fact about having official trailers released doesn't change the situation at all. This thread is about how Scalebound's cancellation leaves developers in bad states. That's exactly what happened with Stig's team after the cancellation whether it was shown to the public or not. 50+ developers lost their jobs because of this. That's the fact. And also on that note, just because it wasn't shown to the public doesn't mean the game wasn't in a playable state. Thanks to NeoGAF's own MamaRobotnik there's proof of that with his research on Square's Dead Sun, a cancelled game that was never shown to the public. Your pretense about Stig's IP being in a worse state of development than Scalebound is your own speculation.

dreamfall

I think honestly more transparency is required. Here we are, pointing fingers and blaming either side with no real understanding of what happened.

I do know this - Kamiya's projects for me have always been incredible. His character action games have some of the best combat mechanics ever created. Platinum's style can not be understated. The cancellation of this game really does sadden me- more so for the fact that their team dedicated four years to a project that will never see a release. I can understand that Microsoft needed milestones to be reached and felt like the game cost too much, but I don't get how it could be touted in so much promotional spotlight, given demo stage presentations and then be eliminated after so much time.

Whatever happens here, I hope Platinum lands on their feet. I think in a lot of ways this is the nail in the coffin for partnership between funding big projects for Japanese developers on the Xbox console. We got some real gems last gen - Lost Oddyssey, Blue Dragon and the exclusivity clause of Vesperia. But those days seem over, and I don't imagine many developers or studios from Japan will have opportunities or be willing to be funded to pursue new projects. But who knows.

Nanashrew

Banned

Usually the benefit of going to a first party publisher is that they can take these kinds of hits and still keep on trucking.

Papacheeks

Banned
Cherry Picking? LOL. I posted an official statement from Sony, you've inked me an opinion piece. And speaking about NPD's, PSABR was one of the few titles at the time which had a simultaneous BRD and PSN release. It maintained placings on the PSN best seller's lists even after release. That's something no other fighting game this generation has managed to do whether it be SFV, Guity Gear, Blazblue, KOFXIV, or Injustice. But yeah, let's keep blaming Superbot while Sony remains completely innocent for all their layoffs.

And Scalbound's fact about having official trailers released doesn't change the situation at all. This thread is about how Scalebound's cancellation leaves developers in bad states. That's exactly what happened with Stig's team after the cancellation whether it was shown to the public or not. 50+ developers lost their jobs because of this. That's the fact. And also on that note, just because it wasn't shown to the public doesn't mean the game wasn't in a playable state. Thanks to NeoGAF's own MamaRobotnik there's proof of that with his research on Square's Dead Sun, a cancelled game that was never shown to the public. Your pretense about Stig's IP being in a worse state of development than Scalebound is your own speculation.

According to this source also posted by Event Hubs it did really bad in Japan.

Again according to gaf it did poorly.

So looking at how it did in Japan and how it ranked 38th getting beat by a shitty Family guy game in UK. It doesn't say this game did well. Regardless if it was on the top charts of PSN.

Where did I say anything about blaming superbot? The game was good, but didn't do well? Sperbot I believe was an off-shoot of Sony Santa monica developers.

Satya Nadella is ruthless about killing underperforming products, just look at how he is starving the perpetually hapless Windows Phone division. Hopefully they will kill the Xbox soon and the gaming industry can be rid of Microsoft for good.

david-mitchell.gif

Square Enix
Nintendo
Sony

Really What happened with Mother 3 on the N64 and Jungle Emperor Leo on the N64 from Nintendo.

SONY :What Happened to Getway 3 , The Agency or that sci-fi open world four in the making years from Santa Monica

Square what happened to The Legacy of Kain Dead Sun , that was 3 years in the making ?.

Dear God man before you're going to post drivel , at least try and do a bit of research

Ploid 3.0

Crackdown better be at E3 and looking good :| I want to see that thing running on a PC at all costs (It is coming to PC right? I'm under the assumption all future MS games are.)

Peltz

Really What happened with Mother 3 on the N64 and Jungle Emperor Leo on the N64 from Nintendo.

SONY :What Happened to Getway 3 , The Agency or that sci-fi open world four in the making years from Santa Monica

Square what happened to The Legacy of Kain Dead Sun , that was 3 years in the making ?.

Dear God man before you're going to post drivel , at least try and do a bit of research
I'm not saying they haven't cancelled games (of course they have). I'm just saying they've also kept troubled projects alive for 4 years or longer.

I'm sure Microsoft had good reasons to cancel the game.

Exactly. Let's not also forget that Sony also pulled the plug on a ton of studios last year and left the devs of Rime twisting in the wind.

All three console manufacturers have their cold business side.

Wrong: http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/rime-dev-explains-split-sony/

Also, which studios? Evolution? The studio that monumentally fucked up the release of Driveclub? That Sony, themselves continued to support for a long time and had to close the studio, as opposed to funding third-parties and causing them to close because of unreasonable demands, like MS did?

Nanashrew

Banned
I mean, Earthbound 64/ Mother 3 had some development issues and Iwata even took it personally like he was to blame. It was supposed to use 64DD. That failed, so the title became a normal N64 title and was delayed a number of years. The major problem was they couldn't find a way to properly adapt everything they wanted to 3D, plus a lot of technical issues. It was cancelled in summer of 2000 as the Gamecube was coming around.

But the project was restarted for the GBA.

Even though the original project was cancelled they still made it.

AAK

According to this source also posted by Event Hubs it did really bad in Japan.

Again according to gaf it did poorly.

So looking at how it did in Japan and how it ranked 38th getting beat by a shitty Family guy game in UK. It doesn't say this game did well. Regardless if it was on the top charts of PSN.

Where did I say anything about blaming superbot? The game was good, but didn't do well? Sperbot I believe was an off-shoot of Sony Santa monica developers.

LOL, an American developed game does bad in Japan but tops PSN charts in North America and you think Japanese sales are a better representation of the game's performance. Gotcha.

Sega showed Microsoft how to make a proper console.

That went under, the original Xbox definitely had its connections but the 360 largely went the opposite direction of the original and largely became its own thing. I think it took more from what the PS2 did tbh.

Papacheeks

Banned
LOL, an American developed game does bad in Japan but tops PSN charts in North America and you think Japanese sales are a better representation of the game's performance. Gotcha.

So you think ranking at 38 and getting beat by Family guy video game is a show of healthy sales?

That neogaf thread tells a different story. But if you wan to keep moving goal posts be my guest.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
That went under, the original Xbox definitely had its connections but the 360 largely went the opposite direction of the original and largely became its own thing. I think it took more from what the PS2 did tbh.

Microsoft to me are definitely the Sega of the home console space.

By that, I mean they're the only one willing to try and push the industry forward. At least in terms of everything not relating purely to games themselves.

Like Sega, Microsoft are at least willing to try stuff, sometimes even force it if they believe enough. Whether it's successful or not. At least Microsoft has the resources to survive the failures.

petran79

Banned

I think regarding the release of exclusive arcade games it was still influenced by the Dreamcast. Eg Dreamcast had online versions of fighting games (matching service).
Microsoft did well to release some good arcade titles in the West. Due to this circumstance GGPO was born.

Surely this is a troll post?

It has to be.

There's literally no benefit to gaming if there's no competition and Sony is essentially handed a monopoly. Sony is bad enough when they're simply winning, I shudder to think of what they might be like in a monopoly.

There were tons and tons of JRPGs on home consoles last gen. I've never looked into the numbers, but I'd wager there were way more than on current gen home consoles. Bit of revisionist history here methinks.

Bungie should be shown as the best example of how a studio can be bought by a publisher, and then leave, intact, with all their talent. They were in huge trouble when MS bought them. The Myst 2 recall problem (software bug deleted users entire hard drive) almost killed them, and they were actively looking to be bought. Apple refused, Steve Jobs disliked gaming, and Microsoft stepped in. Bungie realized that they'd be making Halo games as long as they were with Microsoft so they worked with them to buy their own company back,again intact. They would work on a few more Halo games, and then go their own way. This would allow MS to build a new studio (343) just for Halo, so they would be able to continue the series. I can't think of another example in gaming where a company was bought, absorbed by another Corporation, and actually did so . That doesn't seem to be screwed over in the slightest.

This doesn't really gel with the account we've been given of Jobs' conduct following Bungie's acquisition. We also know that there was intervention to prevent Microsoft destroying the studio's culture in the fashion they did to other studios historically.

Game development being so opaque tends to mean there is a very real limit to what we know about failed projects, but I lend more credence to the accounts we've had than any PR boilerplate we'll ultimately get from Microsoft.

Net

Surely this is a troll post?

It has to be.

There's literally no benefit to gaming if there's no competition and Sony is essentially handed a monopoly. Sony is bad enough when they're simply winning, I shudder to think of what they might be like in a monopoly.

The industry was arguably better than ever in the PS1 vs N64 days.

No, Saturn does not count.

I mean, Earthbound 64/ Mother 3 had some development issues and Iwata even took it personally like he was to blame. It was supposed to use 64DD. That failed, so the title became a normal N64 title and was delayed a number of years. The major problem was they couldn't find a way to properly adapt everything they wanted to 3D, plus a lot of technical issues.

The game was canceled for the N64 and came out years later : who's to say that won't happen with Scalebound . Jungle Emperor Leo we never saw at all, despite NCL making a big deal of the game and we also never saw Mario 64 2 which NCL confirmed to EDGE was in development and working with 2 player support

All corps will now and again drop games .

CCIE

Banned
Japanese developers would be better off without Microsoft in gaming, that seems certain. I remember the fiasco with Level-5, and now Platinum as well. Unless the Scorpio actually sells decently, I would expect the majority of Japanese developers to skip it completely.

And it isn't just Japanese companies as shown by this thread. When dealing with MS you'd better have good lawyers on your side... History has shown that much across all parts of the company

As for Japanese developers, they have the PS4, and a renewed Nintendo. They don't have to put up with Microsoft's heavy-handed practices anymore, and I expect that they won't. Already, the lack of Japanese support for the XB1 is astonishing, and I expect it to get worse. The real question will be the Indie support - you can't always treat your partners like crap, and expect loyalty in return.

AAK

So you think ranking at 38 and getting beat by Family guy video game is a show of healthy sales?

That neogaf thread tells a different story. But if you wan to keep moving goal posts be my guest.

Yeah sure it's unhealthy for a single country. But for a game made in under 3 years on multiple platforms with cross play and only enough budget to make an online mode + a single cutscene for every character offline the title was more than successful. And Sony themselves officially said so. But yeah let 1 week of physical data in 2 countries dictate your perception of its performance.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
The industry was arguably better than ever in the PS1 vs N64 days.

No, Saturn does not count.

Given that Gen 7 is comfortably the best generation ever to anyone not wearing rose coloured glasses, I'd argue Microsoft being a strong competitor is the best thing for the industry.

The 360 was the pioneer of the digital storefront
The 360 was the pioneer of a true operating system on a console
The 360 drove both Nintendo and Sony to up their controller game in Gen 8
The 360 is the reason the PS4 is what it is
The 360 ushered in the indie scene we now enjoy

Microsoft being strong is something all true gamers should absolutely want.

Ushay

The graphics are likely going to be almost indistinguishable from the pro version. Think about it. I don't know if I will be able to pick them out without being side by side and I have really good eyes.
Almost indistinguishable, LMAO. Like they were between the Xbox One and PS4?

Back in OT - OP if you want to do a thread on companies getting burned from exclusive relations then list all the parterships that were good too, then you get some real retrospective. Here I'll help you.

Remedy - Alan Wake
Epic - Gears series
Ruffian - Crackdown
Playground - Horizon
Insomniac - Sunset OD
Bioware - KOTOR, Jade Empire

I can go in a bit, want me to do one for Sony and Nintendo too? My point is this happens everywhere. Yes I admit it is mismanagement in many cases and MS do need to get their shit together. But it doesn't warrant witch hunts in and on GAF. We're all adults.

MikeyB

Platinum games have been incompetent; (1)They had 4 years millions from MS and still they couldn't deliver or even come close to giving us a release date after 4 years, so sorry the buck stops with them. (2)Always thought the corp was way overrated, much like their games and it's not like their games sell systems anyway. MS should have stayed with FromSoftware after their brilliant workings on the original Xbox.

(3)You name any major corp with 4 years of development and millions spent, that would be ready to put yet more money into the project with no release date and members of the team off on the sick
Noted for clarity with bold numbers.

(1) I really don't understand how you can continue to think that failure to deliver on a contract can be understood without insight into the terms of the contract or the working relationship. Look at the most basic contract, a receipt for jeans or something like that. The return policy typically has conditions that apply to the seller and the consumer. It is not a one sided arrangement just because the money goes one way.

(2)This is irrelevant ad hominem bullshit that ignores their past ability to deliver. Show a track record of them failing in this regard and your take on Platinum may be relevant to the point you are trying to make.

(3)You are begging the question here by assuming that the corp was presented with no release date. It is as likely that the developer said, "we don't know when we can deliver this project because you have changed the scope." We simply don't know which way it went. I am not saying that MS should continue to fund the project, but only that we don't know why the project crashed and burned.

You do see corporations continue to dump money into projects without conceivable end, but rarely on the private side. Public investment can always raise revenue through taxes and infrastructure needs building, so the contracted provider typically has them by the balls. Bombardier and Toronto's streetcar revitalisation project is a good example.

Vol5

MS should definitely stick around. But only if they're limited to 30% of the market share, max. Have to keep them humble, but scrappy.

You know I think after this week and all the news I've read I'm pretty sure the Scorpio will be a steam / windows hybrid embedded platform with MS making money from commission sales. This is the only conclusion I can read into everything that has gone on and this is how MS will keep the gaming division afloat.

Current lack of investor confidence in the division
Literally no news of any new games
Win10 cross play
Digitial only at the start of the generation
Slowly pulling development of games
Legacy XO support out of the box
Half-hearted Windows Store support
360 Controller support within Steam already
It's Microsoft. They are PC.

This makes sense to me. I think Valve and MS might have something big up their sleeve this E3. Happy to be proven wrong with a stellar line-up pulled straight out of their arse, but I can't see it. I think this honestly makes good sense when looking at the big picture (pun intended). Drip feed some games then get out of the publishing biz to make your money on commission.

Who's with me?

Top Bottom