• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, I passed out at work today. A first. Memory is now "off" and I'm freaking out.

So, I work at a grocery store. Things were normal. I pulled something in my groin which happens every once in a blue moon (I ride a bicycle to work, and my job involves a lot of walking). Figured I'd make it to my lunch break than take a Bayer (aspirin) and I'd be okay. I'm buying a few things for lunch and all of a sudden I'm overwhelmed with lightheadedness. I thought I could hurry and get upstairs to drink some of my water and get something to eat, but as I'm starting to pull out my wallet, I could barely stand. I tell the cashier/my coworker that I just need to sit down and get some water ASAP. I start heading over to to the base of the stairs leading to our break room where there's also a bench. I black out and faint. I could feel myself fall. What I didn't know at the time was that a customer happened to be sitting there and broke my fall. Next thing I knew I was laying on the ground with my bosses and several co-workers standing over me. After getting since food and orange juice, my boss decided to drive me home.

I'm sitting here at home now with a mild headache. But I find that my memory is of all of a sudden. I'm looking at a thread mentioning "Overwatch" and "Breath of the Wild thinking", "Why does that sound wrong?" I've been playing Breath of the Wild a LOT lately and all of a sudden I can't remember the Champions and other character names outside Zelda, Link, and Ganon/Ganondorf. I'm looking at a Guardians of the Galaxy poster and thinking of they're names, "Groot, Rocket.... Star-Lord, Ga..Mora, and Dax... Wait Drax" Which is unlike me as I'm a HUGE Marvel fan. I'm then thinking Defenders, "Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Danny......Rand, and Michael Murdock. No, Matt Murdock.

I'm kinda freaking out here. Could this be temporary and I'm just worrying too much (I had terrible reading text earlier, but I'm okay now) or should I see a doctor asap?

Speely

Banned
Absolutely see a doctor ASAP. Sure, it might be something minor, but even knowing that is worth the visit.

Sorry, dude. :(

Please go to the ER now. Please

Dear fucking lord I'm going to worse case here but you can easily die if that is a brain bleed

Lasting neurological symptoms are always an emergency

Have to go the ER. Hopefully it's something innocuous—like you just had low blood sugar or something. Chances are it isn't anything, but get it medical scienced. Wishing you the best.

Strimei

For what its worth, I blacked out from, of all things, laughing (seriously), and I remember feeling a bit shaken up mind-wise too when I came to.

Still, I would say my passing out was very mild, especially compared to yours (I just passed out in my chair and came to after a few moments, I didn't fall nor did I have the other symptoms you mentioned). I would definitely get checked out.

Ozigizo

If you ever have to ask if you should go to the doctor, the answer should always be yes. Better safe than sorry.

SomTervo

I've had a couple of faints. Not necessarily anything to worry about - maybe you were dehydrated, hadn't slept enough, hadn't eaten enough, etc. One time i fainted from reading a really horrific account of something violent. (I also hadn't slept or drank enough.)

But going to ER maybe a good idea. You could have a concussion if you have a headache and your brain is being weird.

Samara

Rest, drink and eat. Also get checked out by a doctor.

Did you eat and drink to your needs today? I have multiple fainting spells each year, and they're mostly due to standing too quickly or zoning out.

Travo

I feel you, OP. I had surgery last week and had two near fainting my spells because of low blood pressure caused by the narcotics.

How do you know if you’re supposed to see a doctor after fainting?

For most cases of syncope, it will be obvious what triggered the fainting spell: heat, dehydration, standing for long periods of time, or the sight of blood.

Still, no matter what the trigger, if it’s the first time someone has fainted, he or she should make an appointment to see their primary care physician within the week to run some tests and make sure there’s nothing more serious that should have caused the syncope, says Dr. Venkatesh Thiruganasambandamoorthy, a scientist and professor at the Ottawa Hospital and the University of Ottawa who specializes in syncope. If tests have ruled out any serious health problems and a person continues to faint occasionally, then fainting prevention becomes all about avoiding triggers, whether they be alcohol use that leads to dehydration, heat or any other identifiable cause.

Summer’s in full swing, and the hot, sweltering days might make some people more prone to fainting.

Fainting, also known by the medical term syncope, is a momentary loss of consciousness caused by lack of blood flow to the brain. It can strike anyone, and it’s fairly common. Researchers estimate that anywhere between 15 and 39 percent of people will experience fainting at least once in their life, but people who take certain medications may be more prone to feeling dizzy, weak and eventually passing out. Still others may be more prone to fainting for genetic reasons.

Syncope can be caused by a wide variety of different conditions, but generally resolves on its own with no harm to the person who fainted. Read on for five common reasons we faint, what we should do if it happens to us or someone nearby, and the warning signs for more serious conditions.

You may have fainted because...

1. You’re dehydrated

Because fainting is caused by a lack of blood flow to the brain, dehydration can up your risk for fainting. It decreases blood volume, which in turn lowers blood pressure. To avoid dehydration in the summer time, drink lots of water and pace yourself if you’re drinking alcohol. Booze further dehydrates your body, which is why large amounts of alcohol and sun are a recipe for fainting.

2. You’ve been standing for a long time

Every wedding season, a few news stories surface of a bridesmaid so overwhelmed by the ceremony that she faints at a crucial moment. While they may be dehydrated (or truly verklempt), the fact that bridesmaids stand still for so long ups the faint factor. The same thing appeared to happen to a hapless British soldier who fainted during a ceremony to celebrate the queen’s birthday this year.

Standing still for a long time causes blood to pool in the legs and feet, which draws it away from the brain. One way to prevent this, according to Dr. Richard Nicholas of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, is to wiggle your toes, flex your leg muscles and move around slightly when you have to stand for long periods of time.

3. You saw blood (or had a similar emotional trigger)

For some people, seeing something extremely upsetting like blood is enough to trigger a fainting episode. In this case, fainting happens when a phobic shock triggers a clash between the sympathetic nervous system (which is responsible for the body’s fight-or-flight response) and the parasympathetic system (responsible for the body’s rest-and-digest response).

The clash both slows down the heart rate and causes blood vessels to expand, decreasing blood pressure and starving the brain of oxygen. Some researchers believe that fainting at the sight of blood is actually an evolutionary advantage that forced our ancestors to “play dead” during massacres and battles, ensuring their survival.

This same nervous system overreaction is also at play when people faint in extremely emotional or high-anxiety situations. Consider, for instance, the Beatles fans who fainted at the sight of their idols, or the father of four daughters who shook and fainted after learning his wife was pregnant with a boy.

4. You’re exhausted

This is something our founder and editor-in-chief Arianna Huffington is unfortunately all too familiar with. After weeks of running on four to five hours of sleep every night, she fainted from exhaustion in 2007. While most people who faint aren’t harmed from the experience, Huffington was ― she hit her desk on the way down, breaking her cheekbone. The injury required five stitches to repair, and the collapse was a wake up call to change the pace of her life and get more sleep on a regular basis.

5. There’s something seriously wrong

Fainting can also be caused by other medical conditions like seizures, low blood sugar, chronically low blood pressure or heartbeat irregularities. In these cases, fainting ― or an event that looks like fainting ― is just one symptom of a more serious condition that could need diagnosis and treatment.

For instance, some people feel dizzy and faint every time they get up from a seated position. This low blood pressure, which is triggered by standing, is called orthostatic hypotension and may be a sign of a more serious condition that should be treated with medicine.

“That’s an extremely serious problem, not because of the fainting per se, but because it reflects dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system in many other ways,” explains Dr. David Robertson, an expert on the autonomic nervous system and a professor of medicine, pharmacology and neurology at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

What to do if you see someone faint

Help them lie down on their back, preferably in a cool, shady spot. Prop up their feet slightly to allow any blood that has pooled in the legs to make its way back to the heart and the head, which should revive them promptly. When they awaken, give them some cool water to drink, and eventually see if they can stand and walk on their own.

If they feel absolutely fine and do not have any dizziness, chest pain, belly pain or a headache, there’s probably no cause for concern, experts say.

“If you have a faint and you get them lying down, many people will almost immediately come back to consciousness,” said Robertson.

How do you know if you’re supposed to see a doctor after fainting?

For most cases of syncope, it will be obvious what triggered the fainting spell: heat, dehydration, standing for long periods of time, or the sight of blood.

Still, no matter what the trigger, if it’s the first time someone has fainted, he or she should make an appointment to see their primary care physician within the week to run some tests and make sure there’s nothing more serious that should have caused the syncope, says Dr. Venkatesh Thiruganasambandamoorthy, a scientist and professor at the Ottawa Hospital and the University of Ottawa who specializes in syncope. If tests have ruled out any serious health problems and a person continues to faint occasionally, then fainting prevention becomes all about avoiding triggers, whether they be alcohol use that leads to dehydration, heat or any other identifiable cause.

Thiruganasambandamoorthy recently developed a screening tool for emergency department doctors to see whether patients who have fainted should undergo more extensive tests or be quickly discharged from the emergency room. He hopes to use his research to develop an app for first responders and the general public to determine if a faint should be followed by an ER visit. But for now, he recommends that if anyone has a history of heart disease, heart attacks, irregular heartbeat, clots in the lung, heart valve problems, multiple medical problems or a family history of people dropping dead at a young age, they go to an emergency room after a fainting spell.

Most people who faint do not need to go to the emergency room, but for a small minority of people who do faint, the brief loss of consciousness can be a sign that more serious and potentially fatal medical events are on the horizon. Anywhere from seven to 23 percent of people who show up to the emergency room after a fainting spell will have a serious medical event within seven to 30 days, including heart attack, pulmonary embolism, heart arrhythmia and even death. A doctor will be able to tell if someone is at risk of any serious complications, including what signs to watch out for as they recover at home.

Another sign someone should go to the emergency room or urgent care is a lack of identifiable causes or triggers. For instance, if someone fainted while relaxing in their cool home, free of any emotional or anxious stressors, that is a cause for concern, said Robertson. But these cautions apply in only a minority of cases, he emphasized.

“We don’t want to frighten people to death,” said Robertson. “For most people, a faint is a very simple thing.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...or-after-fainting_us_577d7a7ae4b0344d514ddb1d

You might be suffering the effects of a concussion from your fall.

A serious groin tear can cause internal bleeding, sepsis, and formation of a bacterial abscess (I know from experience). Go to the hospital.

Kyoufu

Are you really asking a message board if you should see a doctor after you passed out and are feeling unwell afterwards? Come on, go to the damn doctor.

Tarrin

Go to emergency/hospital now.

No ifs, ands, or buts.

Something similar happened to my Dad and it was a stroke.

Flo_Evans

You faint because of lack of oxygen to the brain. You mention pulling your groin this could cause a blood clot or pinched artery.

Add in some memory problems and you need a professional evaluation asap.

Luminaire

Something similar happened to me in high school.

I was sitting at my desk and I looked at the teacher, raised my hand and was going to ask if I could go do something (nurse or get water or go to the bathroom), and then everything went fuzzy/black. I woke up on the floor with people over me, a girl was crying, there was a little bit of blood from hitting my head. I didn't know where I was or why people were over me. Paramedics came and took me away to the ER. Was in the hospital for hours. They ran all sorts of tests on me and couldn't figure out what caused it. No stroke, no heart attack, no diabetes, nothing. They never came to a conclusion and I released. Naturally, I didn't go to school for a few days after.

However, the weekend before (this was a monday that it happened), I had been sleeping for an hour or two at most, pounding soda and energy drinks, eating junk food, playing video games for long stretches, running around, dancing, and basically stressing out my body to the max. I imagine all of that stress plus dehydration could have caused it. It hasn't happened since and I've never really had any medical issues.

Obviously this isn't my thread but I just wanna say don't jump to the worst case scenario right away and panic. Have you been eating well? Sleeping well? How's your energy/caffeine/sugar intake been?

Honestly you should see a doctor. ER or a clinic as soon as possible. Hopefully it's mild and you're just experiencing shock. Here's to hoping it's nothing serious!

Hazmat

You need to call a family member or friend to drive you to the ER now. If they aren't available you need to knock on your neighbor's doors or get an Uber or something.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It may be nothing but but I'd see a Dr to be safe. Everyone telling you to go to the ER - do you realize how expensive that is these days?

Did you go outside during The Eclipse?

I did. I was drained and feel asleep 10 mins later.

OP: I checked WebMD and it said......
WebMD said:
fb0.jpg

OP, there's a simple solution.

Just tattoo the names of your favorite characters on your body, complete with artistic representations of what they look like.

Luminaire

It may be nothing but but I'd see a Dr to be safe. Everyone telling you to go to the ER - do you realize how expensive that is these days?

Depends on his insurance, but it's pretty expensive. S'why I suggested a clinic since he doesn't seem to be in a state of emergency at the moment.

Top Bottom