• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross The Line - Sexual Assault... ok, maybe just Sexual Harassment!

zlatko

Banned
Victor von SPOOOOOOOOOKY. Well said. It'd be great if media outlets could get a hold of that quote to help this out a bit.

Any comments on the whole Arturo phone incident with Mike/Jago?

A much better statement than inkblot's celebratory post. I hope FGC leaders do a lot to educate the community about how hurtful this kind of harassment can be, even if it's in jest. There's a difference between competitive mind games and making someone sexually uncomfortable, or completely unwelcome at a live event.

It's not better than inkblots. They are both great well written, different takes (with different backgrounds) assessing a situation. Plus ink's was talking about the jago/ross drama as well.

I welcome all different takes on it.

Good shit spooky!!!

btw, what do you think of the ross/jago stuff?

Well, that still leaves Miranda who claims that it didn't stop and that people were ignoring the problem. I don't know what to think anymore.

Well, Sunday definitely happened, but it could be that any even mild teasing could have been perceived as harassment by Miranda after what happened. Keeping Aris and Miranda in the same room together couldn't have helped either, because it was a constant reminder of what had just happened.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Sunday definitely happened, but it could be that any even mild teasing could have been perceived as harassment by Miranda after what happened.

As any sexual harassment education says, though - intent is irrelevant.

Honest question cause I've never been to a tournament, how many people attend a typical tourney? How bout the biggest ones? Roughly how big is the hardcore FGC scene across the US? 10,000 - 20,000 people? More?

Not like it makes any difference considering the serious accusations and issues brought up in this thread, just curious.

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys participated in local/major tourneys and have you ever felt uncomfortable?

*raises hand*

I've been to a few majors and while I generally have a good time, the homophobic slurs always make me want to leave early. -__-

Also shout outs to Sp00ky for being so awesome.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Looks like Ars Technica is getting in on the fun.

I see a lot of discussion in here. I don't really have in interest in talking about this issue publicly because although this happened at Cross Assault, this is more of an issue of people and less of an issue about the show. this just happened to happen at cross assault, but it happens all the time, all over the world.

Aris and Miranda are both very kind, very real people. They were placed into a super high tension situation, and both cracked under pressure.

The main point and issue here is that comments made by Aris added to her tension and pressure. Since those early comments, he apologized to her directly many times, and genuinely seemed concerned for what he had done. His own stress accumulated over the course of the show, and looming over his head the entire time was this issue as well, which im sure added to it. Even he did not realize the scope at which he would be vilified for his comments until we discussed them being talked about on major sites.

Before I continue I would like to point out that yes, there are a lot of OG players with an OG mentality. You could call that an 'old guard' but that isn't really the truth. these guys just enjoy Fighting Games and want to continue enjoying them, and all aspects of why they enjoy them, including the gritty, competitive atmosphere they remember facing in the early days when they first began playing competitively.

What Aris did was wrong. He has sincerely apologized both to Miranda and publicly on Twitter. This is a harsh life lesson for him, someone who enjoys his own uncensored nature, to realize just how bad his words and his egging someone on can hurt another person. In a sense this is about "growing up". and Yes, the scene is growing up, as much as people do not believe it. But it will take a long time for the scene to really come together and understand what growing up is all about. Lessons like this are ones that will need to be learned, so people can see their mistakes and recover from them.

Last year around this time, I made some very controversial statements about evo and level up, which I am sure a lot of you guys remember. though at the time that was how I felt, afterwards i really realized the damage my statements had caused, and I apologized sincerely. It seems to me my apology was accepted, as I was allowed to be a part of the team for evo that year.

All I am saying here is yes Miranda was hurt by what Aris said, but we need to give Aris a chance to recover from this lesson. this is not about removing the R-Rated nature of the FGC, because that to me appears to be unnecessary and is not in my current plan for any of my big events. However it is about also knowing how much damage your words can do to both a person's mind and heart, and also to the scene.

I hope that we can stick together, and all learn this lesson together. Sexual Harassment is a bad thing, and much like things like stealing, & murder, is just in some people's human nature and can never be completely stopped. However if we can make it so people understand both sides I think that will help. Everyone has their own opinions about life and the world, and I do not want to censor their opinion, rather I would like to inform them of the pain a harsher type of thing like harassment/bullying can do to another person, so that perhaps they can understand and change.

I guess this was wordy and not every expressive in the end. Even I have made sexist remarks at times, but over time I've learned to be more sensitive to women, and hopefully others will too. and if they dont choose to, that is their prerogative, but at the least keeping those views private to their own following and not the general public can help.

Quoting so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Glix

I love the streams and that they are blowing up...

but I almost always have to watch with it muted. The commentators are gratingly immature and awful.

So yeah, hopefully this will make it a more palatable scene.

EDIT - Well said by Spooky

EDIT2 - I just want to point out that online, the community is very helpful and awesome. UltraDavid especially. Its just in the streams (and I guess live, I've never been to an event) where things get weird.

Out of curiosity, how many of you guys participated in local/major tourneys and have you ever felt uncomfortable?

I use to be uncomfortable about attending tourney's, but once I did everything was fine. So I've never had a real issue. That's all I can say about my situation.

Honest question cause I've never been to a tournament, how many people attend a typical tourney? How bout the biggest ones? Roughly how big is the hardcore FGC scene across the US? 10,000 - 20,000 people? More?

Not like it makes any difference considering the serious accusations and issues brought up in this thread, just curious.

Locals normally have 20-50 people. You have these bigger regionals that can reach about 100 or so. Majors like the upcoming Final Round or Season's Beatings will vary from 500-1000. And last years EVO had 2400+ players.

Brinbe

Beautifully stated, Spooky. Hopefully, lessons are learned and the community can move on. That's all you can do at this point.

Anth0ny

I see a lot of discussion in here. I don't really have in interest in talking about this issue publicly because although this happened at Cross Assault, this is more of an issue of people and less of an issue about the show. this just happened to happen at cross assault, but it happens all the time, all over the world.

Aris and Miranda are both very kind, very real people. They were placed into a super high tension situation, and both cracked under pressure.

The main point and issue here is that comments made by Aris added to her tension and pressure. Since those early comments, he apologized to her directly many times, and genuinely seemed concerned for what he had done. His own stress accumulated over the course of the show, and looming over his head the entire time was this issue as well, which im sure added to it. Even he did not realize the scope at which he would be vilified for his comments until we discussed them being talked about on major sites.

Before I continue I would like to point out that yes, there are a lot of OG players with an OG mentality. You could call that an 'old guard' but that isn't really the truth. these guys just enjoy Fighting Games and want to continue enjoying them, and all aspects of why they enjoy them, including the gritty, competitive atmosphere they remember facing in the early days when they first began playing competitively.

What Aris did was wrong. He has sincerely apologized both to Miranda and publicly on Twitter. This is a harsh life lesson for him, someone who enjoys his own uncensored nature, to realize just how bad his words and his egging someone on can hurt another person. In a sense this is about "growing up". and Yes, the scene is growing up, as much as people do not believe it. But it will take a long time for the scene to really come together and understand what growing up is all about. Lessons like this are ones that will need to be learned, so people can see their mistakes and recover from them.

Last year around this time, I made some very controversial statements about evo and level up, which I am sure a lot of you guys remember. though at the time that was how I felt, afterwards i really realized the damage my statements had caused, and I apologized sincerely. It seems to me my apology was accepted, as I was allowed to be a part of the team for evo that year.

All I am saying here is yes Miranda was hurt by what Aris said, but we need to give Aris a chance to recover from this lesson. this is not about removing the R-Rated nature of the FGC, because that to me appears to be unnecessary and is not in my current plan for any of my big events. However it is about also knowing how much damage your words can do to both a person's mind and heart, and also to the scene.

I hope that we can stick together, and all learn this lesson together. Sexual Harassment is a bad thing, and much like things like stealing, & murder, is just in some people's human nature and can never be completely stopped. However if we can make it so people understand both sides I think that will help. Everyone has their own opinions about life and the world, and I do not want to censor their opinion, rather I would like to inform them of the pain a harsher type of thing like harassment/bullying can do to another person, so that perhaps they can understand and change.

I guess this was wordy and not every expressive in the end. Even I have made sexist remarks at times, but over time I've learned to be more sensitive to women, and hopefully others will too. and if they dont choose to, that is their prerogative, but at the least keeping those views private to their own following and not the general public can help.

Good shit Sp00ky. A true leader of the community right here.

I'm sure the gaming press will ignore this, though. "Fighting game scene full of sexual predators" is a much flashier headline.

@Toronto tourneys nobody swears really IMHO maybe we Canadians are just nice naturally
3AQmK.gif

DONJONJ

Neo Member

It's good to hear that Aris has apologized to Miranda directly, but I'd like to interject in that Aris's tweet didn't seem as much of an apology as it him trying to justify his words and actions. The only thing he seems to regret according to his tweet is not articulating himself better. I'll believe Aris has learned his lesson it when I see it in his actions.

This is the tweet, BTW: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/g65iqn

"My statements do not reflect those of Capcom or myself." - Aris

With that said, your hard work is appreciated, and I hope bigger, better things await for you in the future, much love. <3

But Rea thinks the company could go farther. "I think it would be in [Capcom's] best interest to say to these guys 'Hey, if we're going to give you money, if we're going to sponsor your event with cash, you'd better keep it relatively clean.' It's in their best interest as a sponsor. That's kind of in the sponsor's responsibility."

Capcom definitely failed in handling this issue. Just on the fact that they actually allowed Aris to stay on the show. If he wanted to apologize for it then that's fine, but they should've removed him to show that there's zero tolerance toward that type of shit.

Sblargh

Banned
What? The only way to get to the top is to be an absolute soulless bigot pig that's a straight shooter telling it as it is and only seeing green and caring about the bottom line.

But is that the way to get to the top of your soul? Or is it selling your soul?

Threi

notag

Thank you for taking the time to write a response here Spooky. Very much appreciated and I completely agree.

Chavelo

You're FallingEdge from EFL/Colorado, right?

I've been to a couple of EFL's tourneys, and although I felt intimidated by the sheer skill some of the dudes had at first, it just felt right and the matches that I had gave me the hype back that I lost from playing online/with friends to improve myself. I moved to Centennial this past fall, so I haven't been able to attend any other tournaments since then, but I think I'll hit up Payback 3 just so I can be beaten back down and get into ze grind mode again.

Support your local fighting game scenes, kids.

Anth0ny

Capcom definitely failed in handling this issue. Just on the fact that they actually allowed Aris to stay on the show. If he wanted to apologize for it then that's fine, but they should've removed him to show that there's zero tolerance toward that type of shit.

True. The Street Fighter side of things was pretty much flawless.

#esports

(._.)

Banned
I went to a local fighting game tournament recently in my area. They had a couple setups for where the matches were taking place and it smelled horrible in the tiny rec hall it was being held in. Felt like I was back in middle school just from engaging in discussion with some of these people. Not saying everybody who goes to these things is a manchild but from what I've encountered in my area most of them are ~_~

Sblargh

Banned
Woah, Spooky spoke.
And well spoken. I do hope that Aris actually learn as I think he has some respect to regain, but it is good to hear about his side. It is actually good to see him less as a villain and you helped a lot in that, Spooky.
Thanks for stopping by. You are awesome.

Mlatador

Banned
I just want to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing Aris being a part of the FGC in the future as well. He's actually a pretty entertaining guy.

He can learn his lesson (I think he will, and deep down he's a good guy I believe). Nobody is perfect. I've said it before, but the fun and hype doesn't have to stop, if there is a certain degree of mutual respect and empathy, especially if you broadcast tournaments or do streams.

Whoever doesn't understand this, is just not capable of being a "future FGC" representant - simple as that.

Just-don't-be-a-douche!/or act like you're 14 years old and don't know better! Problem solved!

I just want to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing Aris being a part of the FGC in the future as well. He's actually a pretty entertaining guy.

Speaking of that, there will be a WNF tonight, right? If yes then all eyes will be on whether or not Aris gets on the mic, you can bet on that.

But I agree, if he can change then I hope people can be forgiving and give him another chance.

zlatko

Banned
You're FallingEdge from EFL/Colorado, right?

I've been to a couple of EFL's tourneys, and although I felt intimidated by the sheer skill some of the dudes had at first, it just felt right and the matches that I had gave me the hype back that I lost from playing online/with friends to improve myself. I moved to Centennial this past fall, so I haven't been able to attend any other tournaments since then, but I think I'll hit up Payback 3 just so I can be beaten back down and get into ze grind mode again.

Support your local fighting game scenes, kids.

Yo I just moved out to Denver. I'm at Thornton to be exact.

Any chance you could PM me some details on the scene here, when sessions or tournaments might be, if it's 360 set ups, etc?

What's really getting me here is Jared. He's really coming off as an opportunist here. He's on record as not liking how the Spooky/IPW streams run, and he basically baited Aris into saying what he said. Then he gets in contact with all these people in the gaming media, and these articles about how the community is terrible go up.

I really don't like the guy.

Doomshine

People keep saying that they didn't do enough research when they put him on the show, but they probably did and know that he doesn't genuinely hate anyone he's messing with. That's probably why they gave him a second chance.

Speculation I know, which I prefer to avoid, but I guess that's really all that can be done right now.

I confess I find the defensiveness of those acting like the media is just being sensationalistic and unfairly judgmental toward the fighting game community perplexing. This isn't a one-time occurrence that got out of hand and it isn't a problem restricted solely to fighting games. It's a problem endemic to the gaming community as a whole, and even more broadly much of our current mass media, and it should be pointed out and reported on where it occurs in order to bring awareness to it. If you don't like the way it makes your community look, direct your attention to the people acting that way, not the media for reporting it.

Neki

that quote you have there would mean that capcom would have to actually support the FGC in order to ask them to be mature lol

zlatko

Banned
What's really getting me here is Jared. He's really coming off as an opportunist here. He's on record as not liking how the Spooky/IPW streams run, and he basically baited Aris into saying what he said. Then he gets in contact with all these people in the gaming media, and these articles about how the community is terrible go up.

Wait, Jared is the one who got in touch with the publications? Is that confirmed somehow somewhere?

Also, how did he bait Aris? Did I miss something?

I mean I'm not a fan of Jared's or anything, but I don't exactly hate him. I dislike some of what I've been reading/hearing of him, but if the above is true, then I may have a new opinion on him altogether.

DONJONJ

Neo Member

I don't know the whole chain of events between Jared and Haunts, but I do recall that Jared removed the archive of the conversation between him and Haunts/Aris from his side, and said archive remained in the IPW side even though this was clearly going to bite Aris in the ass at some point. Take that as you will.

Great post Sp00ky. Much respect.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Wait, Jared is the one who got in touch with the publications? Is that confirmed somehow somewhere?

I mean I'm not a fan of Jared's or anything, but I don't exactly hate him. I dislike some of what I've been reading/hearing of him, but if the above is true, then I may have a new opinion on him altogether.

Just assumptions, afaik. Though he has been on Giant Bomb videos several times and IPW did do a thing with Destructoid a while back, so it is easy to assume.

Busaiku

Something that needs clarification (which I stated earlier) is that Jared was referring to sexual harassment, however the context was in regards to virtual characters.
His statement about the sexual harassment was addressing how people get all vulgar when someone like Phoenix (back in Vanilla MvC3 days) was getting beaten.
People would yell obscenities like "rape that bitch", "fuck her up", "chickenhead", and so on, referencing Phoenix (cause everyone hated the character's broken nature).

This is not towards any players, male or female, but a character.

It's stated in the articles, but it's something that people have ignored.

I've been reading, and I don't remember where, that he got in touch with at least the destructoid and giant bomb guys. And the ars article, well, Jared did and interview for it, and the way it reads, it seems like he initiated contact.

As for baiting Aris, Jared basically picked a fight with him. Just watch the video. "Starcraft is so much better than you guys. Why can't you be more like them? You are all just a bunch of kids. Grow up." And then Aris, who is under a ton of stress from being on a reality show for a week, tries to argue back.

Spruchy

Just ignore him, he thrives off of the attention and is miserable without it.

BiggNife

I don't think Jared contacted the press about this.

At the very least Patrick Klepek has said he was tipped off on the story by a GB reader. Considering Jared's friendship with the GB guys, you'd think he'd go there first if he was trying to get press attention about this.

Top Bottom