• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Machine unboxing

Makes me wonder if there will be a whole new market for designing steam computer cases, not counting your standard mAtx and mini ITX cases that are already out there.

wizzbang

Banned
The controller looks really nice and everything in a wooden box is quite cool.

Although the actual Steam Machine looks pretty disappointing to me. Forgive me for thinking this, but my thoughts were, "Congratulations, you've unboxed a VCR in a wooden crate."

Still, anyone who got to be one of the 300 users is still pretty lucky.

It looks better than the Xbox One to me :/
I wonder how noisy it is though, the Xbox One is king there, the PS4, not so much.

What do you mean free hardware for 300 users?
I think it's a great way of testing the machines but let's not lose our minds here.

Nah, I have my mind right here and all good. Free hardware means that the 300 lucky beta testers receive a well chosen package of SteamOS fitting costly hardware. Nothing else.
There is no NDA, everyone is allowed to blog, film, and discuss the good and the bad things during the beta. It's part of Valve's open approach. Which is not only a kind move. It's also a part of their overall concept to push their present and future products. I call that smart.

Dorfdepp

Neo Member
Looks really nice. Shame I won't get one as I prefer playing with my desktop PC and plan to stream to my HTPC via Steam OS for couch gaming. But the controller is certainly a day 1 buy.

Take off your shoes man

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
what 300 dots are yall talking about?

1Uyybah.jpg

That is such a nice tidy case. It's basically the length of a video card. Assuming it works well, it's amazing the power packed in the little thing and it remains modular for upgrading.

Nzyme32

Boy these things are going to be expensive.

I mean the finished product.

Multiple machines from multiple partners, from $499 to $ridiculous (announced so far). There should be streaming boxes that Gabe says will be $99 but eventually free and boxes at $299 with dedicated graphics cards. You can also build your own.

The machines are as cheap or expensive as you want them to be

Qassim

You can't have all the data on the hd sent over the internet. Well, you could but it's not very practical. Also people can do modifications to these systems.

Why would they need all the data on the HDD back? That wouldn't be useful or efficient.

Maybe people have changed the partitioning, modified the os or even replaced parts of it. They want to see what's done?

These machines have telemetry built into them

"There's lots of telemetry built in to a really granular level," in the prototypes Valve is delivering to select gamers who are competing for a beta-testing role and developers, Coomer said. That technology will send home information about how the machines are being used – like which buttons are being pushed, which games are being loaded, or if users swap out hardware.

and there's a bug tracker for the testers.

Qassim

Maybe people have changed the partitioning, modified the os or even replaced parts of it. They want to see what's done?

That can all be sent via the internet and is a small amount of information.

Besides, I can't see how people modifying the OS would be useful to Valve as something to collect. They're interested in things like stability, usability, compatibility, probably thermals and power usage - all of which is a small amount of information and can be tracked and sent via the internet like pretty much every modern piece of software does now.

I suppose they could look at how the hardware has held up in terms of any heat damage, but they're all standard PC parts, and that sort of stress testing can be done more effectively in a lab.

Top Bottom