• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2017 | Providing escapism since 2008

dawgparty

Y'all got any recs for RPGs(or games with RPG elements) that are fun and don't require large time commitments? I'm playing Duel Links and FE: Heroes right now and I need something with less eternal grind/gacha.

Y'all got any recs for RPGs(or games with RPG elements) that are fun and don't require large time commitments? I'm playing Duel Links and FE: Heroes right now and I need something with less eternal grind/gacha.
Might want to check out Ember, Templar Battleforce, and Battleheart Legacy

I've been playing this RPG recently called Postknight. It's a rather simple RPG but it has all of the basics down and can be pretty addictive in bursts.

awp69

Might want to check out Ember, Templar Battleforce, and Battleheart Legacy

All these are great. I'd throw Titan Quest but the controls can be iffy.

I also mentioned Djinn Caster earlier as well. More on the casual side but very polished action RPG.

I can recommend a ton of JRPGs but most involve a lot of grinding. Chaos Rings 3 is awesome and not necessarily grindy in terms of having to level up but a lot of quests big and small. So depends on your definition of "grindy". Probably an 80 hour game, which I still have not finished.

PittaGAF

Warhammer Quest
Deathwatch
Galactic Keep
Banner Saga

All games with various grades of RPG in them, all turn based, all autosave.
All can be played in small bits but if you want to, they have all long story campaigns.
2 are fantasy, 2 are sci-fi.

awp69

Warhammer Quest
Deathwatch
Galactic Keep
Banner Saga

All games with various grades of RPG in them, all turn based, all autosave.
All can be played in small bits but if you want to, they have all long story campaigns.
2 are fantasy, 2 are sci-fi.

Good recommendations!

The Warlock of Firetop Mountain

https://appsto.re/us/ljrefb.i
$4.99

But also has IAP to buy additional heroes, kind of like Warhammer Quest. You have four included with the main purchase, 11 more are available; you can buy them all for $6.99, or separately with $2.99 packs. Each hero has unique combat skills and story quests

So all the content is ~$12, still a new discount compared to $19.99 PC version.

It's pretty clear why they did it this way.

PC vs iPad
HZxLweP.jpg
08cGgEH.jpg

Daigoro

bought Firetop Mountain, playing now. pretty fun so far. the graphics certainly arent amazing, but look OK on an SE.

PittaGAF

I have yet to buy Warlock (no wifi) but I was told the graphic is WAY different depending on which iPhone or iPad you are playing it on.
Latest gen being the best of course and almost in par with PC (shadows and all).
Those pics are not spectacular...which was the platform?

awp69

God damn. Dungeon Rushers just came out and looks excellent too! My poor, poor wallet (because I've also been buying a lot of console games lately).

PittaGAF

God damn. Dungeon Rushers just came out and looks excellent too! My poor, poor wallet (because I've also been buying a lot of console games lately).

I've been playing it (lucky to get an early copy) and it's really fun.
Much more fun and way deeper than I expected tbh.

PittaGAF

I'm a bit disappointed that the iOS version of Firetop Mountain doesn't have the character shadows.

They add so much to the immersion (for me anyway) and more important they are totally there in the official iOS trailer.

I can't unsee their absence.

killercow

I'm a bit disappointed that the iOS version of Firetop Mountain doesn't have the character shadows.

They add so much to the immersion (for me anyway) and more important they are totally there in the official iOS trailer.

I can't unsee their absence.

Lightning and shadows are the most taxing so i'm not too surprised. Sucks though.

PittaGAF

Lightning and shadows are the most taxing so i'm not too surprised. Sucks though.

Yes but .... seeing them in the official trailer from 2 weeks ago and not finding them on a iPhone 6S was a bit of a bummer.

Anyway the dev just confirmed me they cut them off, for performance reasons (of course).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yes but .... seeing them in the official trailer from 2 weeks ago and not finding them on a iPhone 6S was a bit of a bummer.

Anyway the dev just confirmed me they cut them off, for performance reasons (of course).

From the 7-series of phones too?

PittaGAF

From the 7-series of phones too?

Yes.
They just aren't there in the iOS version (but the official iOS trailer :p).
I asked the question because I thought it was just my 6S, but dev told me so.

It's the reason why the Appstore lacks a video trailer too at the moment.

Voidance

I can't play Dungeon Rushers on my 7+ due to it crashing at the main menu. I sent in an email describing the issue; hopefully it's gets resolved quickly and does not occur on my iPad Air 2.

PittaGAF

What is the gameplay loop? I don't really know that I'd like designing dungeons. What is the benefit of it in-game?

That part is totally optional and I actually didn't even touch it.
I just played the lengthy single player campaign.
You can design dungeons and send them to friends who can attempt to survive it as far as I understood.
Or you can download other people made dungeons.

It's a standard tbs game, but with many classes, loot and skill trees.
During dungeons there are old style D&D events that I quite enjoyed.

Daigoro

Firetop Mountain is pretty darn good. im enjoying the combat, and the choose your own adventure aspect is good fun. it's cool seeing what different things different characters can and cant do.

after tonights long session i made it to 9th place overall on the leader board. it only shows top 20, so i have no idea how many people have played the game so far. playing an adventure is definitely an investment in time though. not sure how far along i actually got, since i died, but i was able to complete the Minotaur part of the quest for the dual sword guy.

definitely a fun adventure game. worth the asking price for sure. dunno if ill get any dlc at this point, but maybe.

awp69

Tavern Guardians came out today. Impressive, premium match three that's kind of like a castle defense RPG. You have to attack enemies as they approach your castle with arrows, direct attacks (matches next to them), special magic attacks, etc.

It's also like Solitairica in that you choose a class at the beginning and fight with that one hero until you die. Coins allow you to get equipment and items that can raise your HP, castle wall (Shield) and other things. But coins also can boost your stats for each Hero.

Pretty fun and addictive. $2.99.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1190252071&mt=8

PittaGAF

Tavern Guardians came out today. Impressive, premium match three that's kind of like a castle defense RPG. You have to attack enemies as they approach your castle with arrows, direct attacks (matches next to them), special magic attacks, etc.

It's also like Solitairica in that you choose a class at the beginning and fight with that one hero until you die. Coins allow you to get equipment and items that can raise your HP, castle wall (Shield) and other things. But coins also can boost your stats for each Hero.

Pretty fun and addictive. $2.99.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1190252071&mt=8

Now this looks super interesting.
Thanks for sharing, I totally missed it.

Top Bottom