• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overcooked Special Edition finally hitting the Switch this week

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Great game. Terrible port. Not only is the framerate pretty bad even docked, but the load times are just brutal.

Still, I love Overcooked, I couldn't resist. We're having a ton of fun regardless of the technical shortcomings and if a patch does make it soon I'll be really happy with the purchase.

Never played this on console, but was the load time so insanely long on PS4?

Steiner

Banned
Finally got around to playing docked. I guess I don't need to say what's already been said... Tutorial stage is pretty awful, and the regular stages definitely drag a bit.

If my wife and I were playing she wouldn't notice at all, I can guarantee you that. So if you're worried about enjoying this with the casual gamer or non gamer if your life, don't sweat it. Maybe just skip the tutorial stage and show them how to play yourself.

It's not bad enough to regret the purchase or to turn away from the game, but the community definitely should stay on the devs asses for a performance patch.

Edit: I don't think the loading times are that bad. Maybe 15 seconds? 20?

bibs

Are the framerate drops anything to do with the fact that its running on Unity? I remember Mr. Shifty having similar/worse problems when it launched as well and that also ran on Unity.

Fireblend

Banned
Played this with 3 other people tonight. I knew what to expect from what I played on PC, but it is sooooo good I was still pleasantly surprised. What a great game.

I know youtube isn't the place to judge framerates in videogames, but i watched a 20 minuten play session of the Switch version, and i didn't notice any framerate issues. If it would have hampered gameplay, surely i would have noticed. I haven't played it myself obviously.

I watched finally more some footage and I think I know whats up with people who don't see the framerate problems. It actually doen't drop frames that much but it is constantly under 30. Like 25. It being kind of a stable but poor frame rate might not register to some people. For me it's bad although constant jarring drops would be even more annoying.

Waiting for the patch if its coming. I don't think developers actually promised that. They only said something along lines that they are looking into drops. But the drops aren't the real issue. Framerate around 25fps is the issue. Although youtube isn't the best way to judge that.

Fliesen

I did notice the frame rate (and i hope it's gonna be fixed), but what grinds my gears even more is that they completely flipped the controls from PS4 -> Switch

really fucks with my muscle memory.

zluvZg6.png

Social

Played it docked for about 10 levels with my wife. You can tell it's not as smooth as it could be, but it runs at a stable framerate, not 30fps though. You could tell a higher framerate would help with controlling the game.

Played it docked for about 10 levels with my wife. You can tell it's not as smooth as it could be, but it runs at a stable framerate, not 30fps though. You could tell a higher framerate would help with controlling the game.

Yeah same here, is not as bad as some of you are saying, but it's not terrible either, maybe it gets better (I hope) because some times is frustrating turn the character to face the right tile, but overall is really awesome.

WhatNXt

I didn't notice the frame drops last night. Played several hours with my girlfriend. She is hilariously competitive, and in campaign is screaming orders and delegating roles. She even shouts "service" when a plate is ready. Worth every penny for last night alone.

Taking it to work with a couple of extra pads today so we can play at lunchtime.

Waji

I agree about the technical issues. I actually didn't know there was any before coming on Neogaf and read.
Plus I remember reading reviews about how hard it could be to hit the right square already so it's certainly not especially a Switch version problem.
It's more about the way characters move and the fact that it's so fast paces. Of course you miss stuff the faster you go.

I didn't notice the frame drops last night. Played several hours with my girlfriend. She is hilariously competitive, and in campaign is screaming orders and delegating roles. She even shouts "service" when a plate is ready. Worth every penny for last night alone.

Taking it to work with a couple of extra pads today so we can play at lunchtime.
Lol, I'm the one saying "served" but yeah my wife is also pretty into it, asking me to telle when this or this is finished.
Though at some point she just laugh and can't continue if it gets too "fast" : D.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finally got around to playing docked. I guess I don't need to say what's already been said... Tutorial stage is pretty awful, and the regular stages definitely drag a bit.

If my wife and I were playing she wouldn't notice at all, I can guarantee you that. So if you're worried about enjoying this with the casual gamer or non gamer if your life, don't sweat it. Maybe just skip the tutorial stage and show them how to play yourself.

It's not bad enough to regret the purchase or to turn away from the game, but the community definitely should stay on the devs asses for a performance patch.

Edit: I don't think the loading times are that bad. Maybe 15 seconds? 20?

I noticed a slight difference in loading times when I deleted it from the SD card and installed to the system memory. It is slightly faster in system memory.

everyer

Great game. Terrible port. Not only is the framerate pretty bad even docked, but the load times are just brutal.

Still, I love Overcooked, I couldn't resist. We're having a ton of fun regardless of the technical shortcomings and if a patch does make it soon I'll be really happy with the purchase.

Never played this on console, but was the load time so insanely long on PS4?

NO. Ps4 version is perfect for local co-op.

Enjoyed it a lot.

My NS system crash and orange screen so I sent it back to Nintendo...

Now I have concern to buy another copy of this game on NS... NS's quality is terrible.

Fliesen

I noticed a slight difference in loading times when I deleted it from the SD card and installed to the system memory. It is slightly faster in system memory.

In general, on the Switch, it's:
internal > SD >> cart.

The difference between cart and digital being way more noticeable than between internal and SD.

Also, the loading times could be improved - it's rather jarring when you leave the Onion king's house (to load the world map) and the game pretty much locks up for 3 seconds.

JJShadow

The game is far from perfect in terms of performance, but it's not horrible or unplayable as some people are saying

Anyway, I've been having such a blast playing this with my girlfriend. Spent a couple of hours playing yesterday and it was so much fun, now I can send my GF to do the dishes without getting a weird look lol

deadfolk

I almost held off because of the complaints about frame rate.

Played for maybe an hour and a half last night and totally forgot to look for issues. The fact that I didn't notice any is good enough for me.

I almost held off because of the complaints about frame rate.

Played for maybe an hour and a half last night and totally forgot to look for issues. The fact that I didn't notice any is good enough for me.

Yeah it's not a big issue that makes the game unplayable. Didn't really notice either. Load times are OK, too.

Experien

I 100%ed the game on PS4.

Technically this game works but I can definitely tell the difference and I am not one of those people who complains about 60fps. Load times aren't long but they are noticeable.

Bottomline, this will probably only get played if I take my Switch with me to somewhere else. If I am at home, PS4 will be the choice to play.

How do I do this? Just delete it and remove the SD card and reDL it?

Bought the game last night and the load times IMO are a non issue.

The frame rate is half of what im use to since I have purely played this on PC. I got use to it after a few levels but I am hoping that they do a performance tweak at some point to help enhance the experience.

There were some drops and it seems to hover a little under 30 fps.

plufim

Played an hour with my wife. Fun game, load times are no biggie.

But good lord why no d-pad movement?

And does anyone else get HD rumble issues in multiplayer where you feel the other players rumble?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I 100%ed the game on PS4.
How do I do this? Just delete it and remove the SD card and reDL it?

Yeah, exactly that.

People are complaining loadtimes here when it is just less than 10 seconds? Talking about hyperbole.

I was simply stating facts: "The load times are about 10 seconds to get into levels when loaded off the SD card." That's not hyperbole. That's an actual mathematic fact done by counting lol! Man I grew up through the PSX era, I don't think you can have a loading screen long enough to turn me off a game at this point in my life! EVERYTHING is better than that 1st gen CD era!

Maybe they're just really sensitive to loading times, don't be so judgemental
/s

lol well done!

Raysoul

Yeah, exactly that.

I was simply stating facts: "The load times are about 10 seconds to get into levels when loaded off the SD card." That's not hyperbole. That's an actual mathematic fact done by counting lol! Man I grew up through the PSX era, I don't think you can have a loading screen long enough to turn me off a game at this point in my life! EVERYTHING is better than that 1st gen CD era!

lol well done!

Good on you, but I'm referring to the other poster who said that the load times are "brutal".

Raysoul

Yeah, exactly that.

lol well done!

Good on you, but I'm referring to the other poster who said that the load times are "brutal".

Also there are people here nitpicking about the load times which is rather fine, which might cause bad impressions to judgmental thread lurkers.

Hmm... held off on buying this for PS4 due to wanting the Switch to be my go-to multiplayer console, but doing so while the Switch version performs worse and costs more is a tough sell. Also I'm laughing at the splitting of hairs that the PSN price is only because it's on sale, lol come on. If I want it for that price right now, I can get it.

Gonna wait for, either, a Digital Foundry video showing that the framerate really isn't that bad, or a patch if the framerate actually is bad. Great that the devs already acknowledged the issue, but kind of sketchy to imply that they didn't notice it themselves until they "received reports" of it from the public. People mentioning that even their typically non-gaming partners noticed it makes me think a video game developer surely would?!?

oti

Banned
Hmm... held off on buying this for PS4 due to wanting the Switch to be my go-to multiplayer console, but doing so while the Switch version performs worse and costs more is a tough sell. Also I'm laughing at the splitting of hairs that the PSN price is only because it's on sale, lol come on. If I want it for that price right now, I can get it.

Gonna wait for, either, a Digital Foundry video showing that the framerate really isn't that bad, or a patch if the framerate actually is bad. Great that the devs already acknowledged the issue, but kind of sketchy to imply that they didn't notice it themselves until they "received reports" of it from the public. People mentioning that even their typically non-gaming partners noticed it makes me think a video game developer surely would?!?

A game on launch costs more than a game on sale. Whoah. That's not the Switch tax.

If you want the best price, don't go with Switch. If you want a better price on Switch, wait for a sale.

Jimx26

Except that your first point infers that it's $10 more as far as MSRP goes. So, it does in fact, change the fact.

Re-read what I said. I said it is £10 more currently! So no, it doesn't.

I was interested in this for Switch but at £10 more, for what looks to be an inferior version. No chance.

Hmm... held off on buying this for PS4 due to wanting the Switch to be my go-to multiplayer console, but doing so while the Switch version performs worse and costs more is a tough sell.

We don't actually know it performs worse than on PS4. People on here have been mainly comparing it to PC. I'd be interested in a side by side PS4/Switch comparison.

Great that the devs already acknowledged the issue, but kind of sketchy to imply that they didn't notice it themselves until they "received reports" of it from the public.

The devs made a statement about it literally hours after the game released.

People mentioning that even their typically non-gaming partners noticed it makes me think a video game developer surely would?!?

Literally like two people on NeoGAF said that, it proves nothing.

Also, the devs have underlined their commitment to console parity, and we still don't know whether or not the Switch version performs worse than the other console versions.

I was interested in this for Switch but at £10 more, no chance.

Yeah, fair enough, this month it's £10 cheaper on PS4, that's a fact. So if you don't care about portability then get it there. The issue is that you can't use that price difference as a criticism of the Switch version, cos obviously they weren't going to release the Switch version and instantly put it on sale so it matches the PS4 version. No publisher would do that!

A game on launch costs more than a game on sale. Whoah. That's not the Switch tax.

If you want the best price, don't go with Switch. If you want a better price on Switch, wait for a sale.

Huh? I never said or tried to imply the phrase "Switch tax."

We don't actually know it performs worse than on PS4. People on here have been mainly comparing it to PC. I'd be interested in a side by side PS4/Switch comparison.

The devs made a statement about it literally hours after the game released.

Literally like two people on NeoGAF said that, it proves nothing.

Also, the devs have underlined their commitment to console parity, and we still don't know whether or not the Switch version performs worse than the other console versions.

I think what you're saying is you agree that a Digital Foundry video will help this conversation immensely. I'm with you on that.

However, I disagree with the idea that the statement being made hours after release means it makes any more sense for them to imply they didn't know about these (alleged) framerate issues beforehand. It's not like they didn't get to play the game themselves until today.

oti

Banned
Huh? I never said or tried to imply the phrase "Switch tax."

I think what you're saying is you agree that a Digital Foundry video will help this conversation immensely. I'm with you on that.

However, I disagree with the idea that the statement being made hours after release means it makes any more sense for them to imply they didn't know about these (alleged) framerate issues beforehand. It's not like they didn't get to play the game themselves until today.

The user who made this wrong point did. That's what we're talking about.

Experien

Deleted off my SD card and reDLed on HDD (saves were intact), it improved a minuscule amount. Not sure if it is worth much of the effort tbh.

Still thinking PS4 will be primary player and Switch if I am out.

Played this docked and in four players, it was chaotic but in the best way possible. And it's immensely satisfying when everything clicks into place with your team of chefs, and everyone ends up understanding what they should be doing and co-operating.

Yes, there is definitely Switch Tax (Gourmet Edition on XBO, which includes all the DLC, is cheaper than Special Edition), but I'd never have been able to play local multiplayer on either my XBO or PS4, whereas the Switch's portability (with its two built in controllers!) makes it possible for me. Even carrying the dock around is more compact than if I had to carry two Dualshock 4s or Xbox controllers.

As for load times, they really aren't bad at all. It's nothing like the minute+ load times of a game like WipEout 2048 on Vita, and restarting a level is instant.

Anyone know what the resolution is? Is it running at 1080p? Can't seem to find any confirmation anywhere.

Native 1080p docked and native 720p in handheld mode.

I was interested in this for Switch but at £10 more, for what looks to be an inferior version. No chance.
Because it's on sale, so there's no actual tax. I have to believe you're trolling at this point.

LordKano

Yes, there is definitely Switch Tax (Gourmet Edition on XBO, which includes all the DLC, is cheaper than Special Edition

No ? How much is it on XBO ? Because it costs the exact same on Steam and on PS4. There's no tax.

Top Bottom