• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Sonic the Hedgehog is 'incorrect' game design

petran79

Banned
But even in Mario,differences between the original, SMB3, SMW and Yoshi's Island are fundamental.

2d Sonics not so much, except the Master System,Game Gear versions.

I can follow the author with what makes Sonic go against what most consider sensible game design, though I guess I'm unable to appreciate the end result. It's probably harder for me since I don't typically tend to replay games enough to obtain the mastery required to get a taste of the games' peak, while the barrier is much lower in music. I can only assume it's similar to the rollercoaster runs that the later games try to evoke, though I assume it's a lot more rewarding here since it had to be earned. In the more recent Sonic games it just feels like empty spectacle that barely involves the player, like an Uncharted chase sequence. Those things still have their worth and place, but probably speak to a different type of experience.

I think this "breaking the rules" philosophy of game design is more easily demonstrated by games like Shadow of the Colossus. On paper, it sounds like the laziest fun-vampire of a GDD. You're in a massive world where there is nothing to do except follow your compass and maybe occasionally pick up a minuscule and optional collectible item. There's no music, the world is desaturated, overexposed, and generally empty uninteresting. After about 10~15 minutes of playing desert-bus on a horse (a horse that takes your inputs as suggestions rather than commands I should add), you'll find a colossus. You'll spend roughly one or two minutes figuring out how to climb it if you're new, and then another 10~20 minutes just doing it. While you try to climb it, the monster will shake, making you stop in your tracks. If it shakes you off, you can start the entire ordeal again. If you kill it, the game just kind of lets you linger in what you've done, rather celebrates your accomplishment. This should not come as a surprise, because the entire reason you're doing it is because the most transparently evil voice in video games told you to do it. The game makes no effort to motivate why you're actually doing it, other than just providing you with a lifeless female body that you don't know the affiliation of. Everything about the game feels wrong, yet it resonated with so many players and sometimes even inspired them to create things themselves.

Banzai

Not sure I would call it "incorrect", but it is the reason I'v never understood what's great about Sonic games.

I would always go fast, run into something because there's little time to react, lose the rings and repeat. Not at all fun to me.

TedMilk

there are only 4 good Sonic games.

Sonic The Hedgehog 1
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles

that's it. Period,
----

Sonic CD is too loose, too aimless, too vague.
Sonic Spinball is not a good game.
Sonic 3D Blast is the begining of the end. Hate this game.

And all other Sonic games post Genesis era are bad Sonic games.

I have high hope for Mania

Correct.

Toxi

Banned
Not sure I would call it "incorrect", but it is the reason I'v never understood what's great about Sonic games.

I would always go fast, run into something because there's little time to react, lose the rings and repeat. Not at all fun to me.
The article is about how the incorrect nature of Sonic games makes them great.

Lynd7

I never played Sonic by rushing through like that, I explored and took my time. I think Sonic's focus isn't really on being flat out fast but making the levels possible to be played as such once you know the layout.

I'd say the only 2D Sonic game this holds true for in any capacity is Sonic CD. That has multiple levels where you're bounced around and don't really feel like you're in control. It's so hard to build up speed naturally and sustain it long enough to time travel, that the game has to offer points which have two springs facing each other to get around that. That says a lot about the level design.

Dryk

Artistic rules are guidelines that indicate what usually works. Once you learn those rules you have a good enough understanding of why they are the rules to break them and have the result still work.

It's been a long time since i last played it, but i remember Bubsy felt like the designers looked to emulate Sonic, but completely missed the point of why it works. That game will throw you into an enemy at speed all the time, and iirc Bubsy is one hit death.

Sonic's not perfect and has it's fair share of traps and arguably bullshit spikes before springs sure... But the rings are the key mechanic holding it together. Bubsy was incorrect game design though!

Really, Sonic levels were short and designed for multiple playthroughs not speed, at least that was always the attraction for me. I prefer 1 and 2 since the levels in 3 took it a step too far, too long and difficult to follow.

Saw this on Segabits' Instagram.

20225340_329606547462068_2138067357405282304_n.jpg

Nottle

I would say maybe marketing Lead to this problem. When people talk about Sonic they talk about speed because that was what we were told to care about. I see sonic more as a game about using the right momentum. The early sonic games have interesting movement, speed is a factor, but sometimes you do need to slow down to solve problems or approach a jump from the right angle.
My friend always says sonic is about holding right to win... it's really not that simple.

I wonder if people will actually read the article. Probably not.

If you guys aren't going to actually read the article, we're just going to close the thread. The thread title does not hold all of the information you need to respond to this.

OK, glad to see I was not the only one weirded out by the first few replies making a "counterpoint" that is the very conclusion of the article itself and even present in the parts quoted in the OP. Why do people keep doing this? It's currently by far the most disruptive non-bannable offense on GAF.

Edit: Make that the entire thread. People, if you can get baited and incensed so much with a provocative title that you lose the capacity to read the entire thing, perhaps you should reevaluate how valuable your hot take contributions are to others.

dlauv

"Get to the goal as fast as possible"

Anyone who thinks they can blast through acts like this at breakneck speed is high.

Bad example.

That level fucking sucks and actually has the only two acts in Sonic 3 with speed traps: crickets (you can hold down), spiked balls (you can pray), spiked enemies (you can instant shield maybe, if you're going fast enough, are airborne via jumping, and know where they are), instant-death spike crushers (you can pray again).

JackelZXA

"Get to the goal as fast as possible"

Anyone who thinks they can blast through acts like this at breakneck speed is high.

The whole point of what makes Sonic fun is to just go around and find secrets and smash robots. I've never really treated a sonic game as a Speedrun experience other than games built around it like Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Advance 1 and 2 (And Rush). Whenever I see video footage of people complaining about Sonic games the thing that always sticks out to me, and I think it's becoming kind of a meme itself, is that people don't roll and they don't spindash. Running down a hill isn't how you play these games, you gotta roll! When you hit a dead stop you jump over it and then pop a spindash and you're having fun again!

WonderzL

Banned
This is good gaming writing. You know, a theory with good arguments. I personally agree with him a lot but also disagree. While Green Light works imperfectly, Sonic does not for me. It is a battle against the controls. But yeah, I love this. Good academic template btw

Top Bottom