• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

Shin-Ra

Gorgeous UI presentation as expected. There's footage of the photo mode UI at the end of the Gamespot video too.

QwKXk8C.gif

bombshell

"Don't worry guys, wait until they reveal more of the campaign"

Yeah, right.

I mean, there's 200+ events and in the video they show only the very first event in each category. Like, do you expect the very first event to be some hardcore, almost unbeatable challenge?

Are you saying that for example all the rest of the 56 mission challenges are all tasking you with driving over cones like the first one, when you're facing evidence that some of them are race challenges?

That is also ignoring that the entire final category is unknown.

Training stages and missions excite me because they open the door for variety. Full races will be there, but I'm interested in how they try to mix things up.

That's not a proper race though, looks and sounds like some gimmick one lap thing with cones.

Campaign sounds so poor, the wait for GT7 continues.

You'll be waiting years and years. Better to just give up on that. Me, personally, I'm glad they've cut all the tedious bloat.

Yeah i can totally see thia game getting shat on in reviews due to low car count, low track count and lack of a full single player campaign

thelastword

Banned
Looks amazing, that track where he did the first license test challenge looks very very good. Glad to see so many events, I'm sure there is much more to come or to be unveiled before release.....

Haven't read many previews yet, but why wouldn't they just do GT7?

What's the advantage to this seemingly trimmed down version? Just quicker turnaround?

Yeah i can totally see thia game getting shat on in reviews due to low car count, low track count and lack of a full single player campaign

The car list is roughly the same as GT3 and GT1. The track list numbers wise is fine, just remains to see if the fantasy tracks are any good.

It's probably wise to stop expecting a "proper" GT7, this is the next mainline title and the way forward chosen for the series, and they will obviously stack on plenty of content down the line, some of which may very well be SP content.

xrnzaaas

Oh man the campaign video was so boring. I'm pretty sure they have more exciting challenges in the game and they should have featured those instead of the first ones from each group which felt like basic tutorials.

Oh man the campaign video was so boring. I'm pretty sure they have more exciting challenges in the game and they should have featured those instead of the first ones from each group which felt like basic tutorials.

"They should have" is probably the title of this game's marketing campaign.

Indeed. Bet they don't even have Jay Leno narrating them.

What is this awesome looking city track? Is it the full version of Tokyo?

Tokyo but I'm fairly sure it's an unconnected map to the other one.

Makki

Seems like you cant have a game expose without shit-talking the most meaningless features like cones that are not photogenic on a training lesson. Im happy to see that at least we dont have tree bitching this time.

I love the menu layout and license tests being one of my favorite features, I will gladly spend my first week of the game trying to ace them all.

Slickest UI in the business as usual visually, hope it's easier to navigate than GT6. The racing seems quite dull but I'm sure that has a lot to do with the slower cars and boring ass commentator speaking over the vid.

Seems like you cant have a game expose without shit-talking the most meaningless features like cones that are not photogenic on a training lesson. Im happy to see that at least we dont have tree bitching this time.

I love the menu layout and license tests being one of my favorite features, I will gladly spend my first week of the game trying to ace them all.

We also have people who can't handle negative opinions of their favourite franchise!

bombshell

Yeah same here, this really puts me off :( If this isn't a real GT then we probably won't get a real GT this generation. I'm like genuinely sad right now. :(

What constitutes a "real" campaign? Don't you want more variety than just typical dull GT races? Also there are races in the campaign.

Wiped89

Using the IGN video.

Driving School seems to have 50 events (you can see it says Final in the lowest, barely viewable line of events).

Mission Challenge has 7 rows times 8 events = 56 events.

Circuit Experience has 100 events across all circuits (I counted the dots on each track).

Then there's a 4th category: Racing Etiquette that they're aren't showing the contents of.

All the ways in which they have promised to reform the Gran Turismo formula, and this is what they choose to leave in? Does anyone have any desire to get their B, A, IA and S licences all over again via a bunch of naff driving tests? :(.

Even at the height of my GT fever as a teenager, completing the tests were just a slightly annoying means to an end of taking part in better races.

That aside, the game itself looks *gorgeous* and I can't wait to play this, especially after I stepped away from GT6 to take a break.

bombshell

Wait... on first page I wrote that there's 50 events in the Driving School category. That's wrong lol. Edit: For reference the post was just quoted above.

First of all, there isn't 10 events in each row in that category.

Second, what I assumed was the final event of the category is just the final event of the Intermediate difficulty section. I had missed that there is also a Final annotation on the last Beginner event. So it's fair to assume that there's also at least one more category, "hard"/"experienced"/whatever, maybe even more than one more difficulty.

jjonez18

Wanted a car collectathon, rags to riches, trek across the world campaign like previous GT's.

This GT is definitely not a priority for me anymore.

King_Moc

Banned
Training stages and missions excite me because they open the door for variety. Full races will be there, but I'm interested in how they try to mix things up.

Yeah, this is much better than the endless parade of 3 lap races on the same tracks we see in other games. This is more reminiscent of GT's license tests, which I've always loved.

muteki

What constitutes a "real" campaign? Don't you want more variety than just typical dull GT races? Also there are races in the campaign.

A typical GT campaign doesn't have to be dull. They could implement better AI, more dynamic weather, more meaningful tire degradation, refueling, pit strategy, damage, the list goes on. I'm guessing with GT Sport these weren't problems they were willing and/or able to solve.

magawolaz

Some people (not me, I only play online) were wondering if a traditional offline campaign with championships was still in. I guess that's what they mean: good ol' Sunday cup, All Star Championship, etc.

Anyway lol, I lost count of how many times I tried to explain on forums that there wouldn't be a traditional Career mode. It was the only thing clear* from the reveal back in May '16 - we even got a screenshot showing those kind of tests (challenge missions, race etiquette, etc.) and a new screenshot after the delay showing even more stuff.

Just a couple of weeks ago I got downvoted on the GT subreddit just because people can't accept it, apparently.
I hope this video can put people at peace with themselves/PD.

*clearer than other features such as weather (still not seen), livery editor (barely seen), etc.

Yep.

WoolyNinja

All the ways in which they have promised to reform the Gran Turismo formula, and this is what they choose to leave in? Does anyone have any desire to get their B, A, IA and S licences all over again via a bunch of naff driving tests? :(.

Even at the height of my GT fever as a teenager, completing the tests were just a slightly annoying means to an end of taking part in better races.

That aside, the game itself looks *gorgeous* and I can't wait to play this, especially after I stepped away from GT6 to take a break.

The tests and missions are some of my favorite parts of GT. The races against AI were never my favorite part. This looks perfect to me! Can't wait!

I guess this is the point where we give up on hopes of good sound (once again) and hopes that something had changed since the initial career reveals.

Fredrik

I guess I just want the usual career stuff where you start off with a crap car and work your way through the cups and eventually can afford a monster car. I've never thought those races were dull tbh. The license tests were dull though but not the actual races, imo.

Zemm

It's probably wise to stop expecting a "proper" GT7, this is the next mainline title and the way forward chosen for the series, and they will obviously stack on plenty of content down the line, some of which may very well be SP content.

This has a good chance of being a bit of a dud critically and sells wise, at least relative to GT expectations. If that happens then expect them to go back to the classic GT formula rather than this sports thing they're doing.

Top Bottom