• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I've had a venerable old reliable USB charger for ages now. Will use the switch as an opportunity to refresh that to give me decent charging for switch, and also for iphone/ipad, and it'll come with me in my bag everywhere.

I'll also probably just get a Nintendo AC adapter because I don't have anything else in my house that needs USB-C and it removes any question of having the correct charging current. Also the price isn't that bad

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Until we get a bunch of big downloadable only I think 32 gigs even with patches should be good. So I'd rather wait till I need the space to upgrade as memory prices are only gonna get cheaper especially for bigger faster cards.

WadeitOut

I just got a usb c-usb c cable with a power block from buying my Pixel from Google. Anyone wouldn't happen to know if that will be able to charge the switch at a reasonable rate?

About as reasonable as it can get. It's probably 5v 2-2.2amp like every other portable battery:

Does this mean it won't support anything faster than UHS 1? Would I be okay with a UHS 3?

That's not how disc reads work. Obviously it will work. UHS3 will probably end up being a waste of money when tests are down though.

Mandelbo

I'm probably gonna be getting the majority of my games physically, so I'm going with a 64gb Micro SD card to start with. I'm going with this one since it's a newer, bigger version of the one I use in my 3DS and that one hasn't had any problems so far.

It's also quite cheap.

Ashler

Has it been announced yet if the Switch will take advantage of the SDXC II speeds? Or are we stuck with sdxc I performance?

tkscz

Has it been announced yet if the Switch will take advantage of the SDXC II speeds? Or are we stuck with sdxc I performance?

Probably why it doens't support it right out of the box and an update will be released later on, but no, no official word on which speeds it uses.

SystemUser

About as reasonable as it can get. It's probably 5v 2-2.2amp like every other portable battery:

That's not how disc reads work. Obviously it will work. UHS3 will probably end up being a waste of money when tests are down though.

If you go back a page you will see that some one took a picture of the back of a Switch. It accepts 39W and the Google Pixel charger is only 18W. It looks like like any old charger will not work for docked mode. Also the official Hori car adapter is 18W so that might be the requirement for handheld mode charging but we don't know yet. The standard charger you are talking about is only 10W.

Yeah. I saw the power bank I'm looking at and it says 5V 2.4A or 5V 3A. I guess those wouldn't work?

The 15v input shown on the back of the Switch is probably what it needs for docked mode, that's absurdly high for just charging its battery. Smaller chargers and battery banks will probably work for charging, just not for tricking it into thinking it's docked or such. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see to know for sure.

japtor

The 15v input shown on the back of the Switch is probably what it needs for docked mode, that's absurdly high for just charging its battery. Smaller chargers and battery banks will probably work for charging, just not for tricking it into thinking it's docked or such. Of course, we'll just have to wait and see to know for sure.
The car charger linked before was 5V/3A, so for handheld mode batteries that can output that should be fine...barring something dumb like the car charger not being able to keep it topped off while playing.

The FCC docs a while back apparently already listed power too, 5-15V/2.6A (13-39W). On a side note, if the Nintendo charger is compliant it's a decent deal for the amount of power it outputs (like as a cheaper if chunkier charger for the MacBook). I'd still rather use a multi port one for travel use but it seems like most are questionable quality. At least for portable use a lower power one should be ok.

Probably why it doens't support it right out of the box and an update will be released later on, but no, no official word on which speeds it uses.

They specified an update was required. Did they say later on with the SD update as well as the USB 3.0 update? I assumed that would be ready at launch at the least.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, the power demands between portable and docked mode are gong to be significantly different, so I think it's reasonable to expect standard chargers and whatnot to work while in portable mode but not be sufficient while docked.

(Basically, you can plug your Switch into your portable battery, but don't plug your dock into it.)

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Massdrop has a 256GB right now. I can't find a link that's not a referral so I'll refrain from posting.

Theonik

Like other posters have said wait for the charging amperage before buying a charger. Chances are the switch needs a lot of juice to charge having a fan in it and all. it might draw more than 5W running games.

Sandisk's UHS-II cards actually deliver on the promise of 275MB/s.
Those won't work on Switch in all likelihood though. I haven't seen a device that implements a UHS-II bus yet. UHS-I and UHS-II are PHYSICALLY different.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Pro Controller states that it comes with a USB-C to USB-A charging cable. As the stated battery life is 40 hours, you probably won't need to charge the controller much. Gives you an easy way to save a few bucks on a USB-C cable for handheld mode.

I know I'll just be buying an outlet plug as soon as we find out what kind of power the Switch needs in handheld mode. I know we've seen the back of the Switch, but 39W is really damn high. Seems like that might just be the needed wattage for docked mode given that it's putting out a video signal and charging.

Pokemaniac

Until we have more details about the Switch hardware, it is difficult to give exact recommendations, especially for the cables.

I think a U1 or U3 UHS-I microSD card from any decent brand should be safe-ish, but the Switch ending up having UHS-II support is not impossible.

As for cables, seriously just wait until we know what this thing is going to expect for power input. You could theoretically damage your Switch if you use the wrong cables and AC adapters.

Blues1990

Any particular brands you guys can recommend? I know Kingston and ScanDisk are cheap, but I've had mixed experience with their SD Cards in the past and want to branch out.

Alva

Any particular brands you guys can recommend? I know Kingston and ScanDisk are cheap, but I've had mixed experience with their SD Cards in the past and want to branch out.

I had some really bad luck at the data corruption game with a Lexar µSD inside my new 3DS. Ended up loosing a Pkm Y save.

I recently got some Samsung Evo µSD ( a 32 and a 128) and I'm crossing fingers. They are working really well for now.

It is the same one they posted awhile ago that someone posted in here. I want to have mostly physical but it is hard justifying an extra $50+ for 56GB. Amazon has a 200GB for $70 and this is $130 plus shipping.

I got that one from massdrop. Overall, it's a better card and still reasonable enough price wise, so I went with it. The 200 would be fine though.

Souzetsu

Those won't work on Switch in all likelihood though. I haven't seen a device that implements a UHS-II bus yet. UHS-I and UHS-II are PHYSICALLY different.
Indeed.

AhNjkY3.png

Kindekuma

Banned
I wonder if the 3DS stand that came with Kid Icarus would be good on Switch. I should try to find that... Or get a 90-degree USB C cable so I can charge and be in kick-stand mode at the same time.

Cartho

I'll also probably just get a Nintendo AC adapter because I don't have anything else in my house that needs USB-C and it removes any question of having the correct charging current. Also the price isn't that bad

Out of interest, where do you live? Because in the UK that official Nintendo AC adapter is selling on the official Nintendo store for £24.99 and Amazon.co.uk for £27.99. So effectively about $26 - 30.

That seems an absolutely OUTRAGEOUS amount for what is a plug with a USB socket on it, a good quality version of which can be bought for £8.99, and a USB a - c cable to go into it, which can be bought for £5.99.

So you are paying Nintendo £10 extra if you buy from them, and £13 extra if you buy from Amazon..... For what? It seems like an absolutely insane price hike given how cheap that kit actually is. I'm going to hold out for a week or two until I've seen some reviews of good alternative options. I'd LIKE to buy the official one, just for pure peace of mind as you mentioned, but fuck that at that price.

japtor

Out of interest, where do you live? Because in the UK that official Nintendo AC adapter is selling on the official Nintendo store for £24.99 and Amazon.co.uk for £27.99. So effectively about $26 - 30.

That seems an absolutely OUTRAGEOUS amount for what is a plug with a USB socket on it, a good quality version of which can be bought for £8.99, and a USB a - c cable to go into it, which can be bought for £5.99.

So you are paying Nintendo £10 extra if you buy from them, and £13 extra if you buy from Amazon..... For what? It seems like an absolutely insane price hike given how cheap that kit actually is. I'm going to hold out for a week or two until I've seen some reviews of good alternative options. I'd LIKE to buy the official one, just for pure peace of mind as you mentioned, but fuck that at that price.
At 5V/2.4A (12W x2 ports = the 24W rating) it's technically lower than the input listed on the console (5-15V/2.6A, 13-39W), so it could possibly refuse to charge. I think it still would since it's pretty close, but it might drain while playing handheld for all we know, and the biggest thing is that charge time might take a good while longer considering the big difference vs the official adapter.

Whatever 5V/3A adapter should be fine (slower charging speed still applies of course), but do some research and make sure it isn't something like this one that can blow up your shit:

https://youtu.be/cs5AvbNPmUA

Which for reference is this 4.5 star one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IB1RQ1A/

(...also searching for specific power stuff on Amazon is kinda annoying cause the listings multiply power ratings by number of ports)

SystemUser

The one you linked says 24W but it is only 12W per port. The power adapter that Nintendo is selling is 39W.

12 =/= 39

Theonik

wont work
It *might* work. You would also need a USB-C to USB-A cable though and then we don't know if Nintendo's done any silly stuff like requiring the data line to be active to charge or the amount of current you need to charge the switch that should be quite substantial given the thing requires a fan to cool.

Oregano

It *might* work. You would also need a USB-C to USB-A cable though and then we don't know if Nintendo's done any silly stuff like requiring the data line to be active to charge or the amount of current you need to charge the switch that should be quite substantial given the thing requires a fan to cool.

Nintendo directly mentioned the ability to use power banks so at the very least they are not actively stopping it.

NeOak

Watts, how they work?

/s

Seriously, the Nintendo AC adapter is a beast compared to any USB charger.

Think a iPad Pro charger with USB-C cord will work with Switch?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but the back of the console lists two power requirements. I don't have the picture but I think it boiled down to 15W and 39W. The official adapter is 39W, but that much power is likely only needed in docked mode. I'm thinking Nintendo just didn't want to cause confusion by selling two adapters in case some confused parent buys the wrong one for the docked mode.

The official car chargers are 18W, so anything at that level should do just fine. The only think I'm not sure if is whether or not something between 18 and 39W would harm the console. Anyway, my point is that if that charger is less than 15-18W you probably won't be able to charge the Switch unless it's fully powered off. Even then that's not a definite.

Theonik

Nintendo directly mentioned the ability to use power banks so at the very least they are not actively stopping it.
Hence why I said it 'might work' It's not that Nintendo has to actively block them, we have no idea what powerbanks the switch will work with at the moment.
Some devices also need to be plugged to an actual USB device like the PS3 controllers that needed a PC or PS3 to charge due to needing the data lines active.

Watts, how they work?

/s

Seriously, the Nintendo AC adapter is a beast compared to any USB charger.
Please share with us the power rating for charging the Switch? I'm sure many people are dying to know if their USB gear will work with it.

Arkam

I look forward to post launch SD card analysis. Will be great to see real world data points from actual switch usage. Especially across different games.

Their use of USB-C says hi.
I'd also note they sometimes seem to drag along and then leapfrog over what's expected to something newer. Like they never had ethernet standard and skipped straight to wi-fi. Never had optical audio or used things like Dolby Digital, but jumped from stereo (or ProLogic thereof) to uncompressed audio through HDMI. Were the first to do mono rumble, ignored Sony's dual rumble move for nearly two decades, and now are doing HD rumble.
Can you do that with 3DS?
Regular 3DS, I believe so--though I only ever did this kind of live swapping when trying things out with the 3D photo program. New 3DS they hid it near the battery, so it wasn't very accessible during regular play.

Top Bottom