• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beatmania IIDX Community Thread: Deluxe Sound Sensation

I live in Hong Kong - don't think I even know any arcades without at least two jubeat machines. All the other rhythm games less common - except that washing machine vocaloid one, which is about just as popular.

One more question - how do you arrange the song list by difficulty/artist/genre/etc like you can in jubeat? also what do those lever thingies right below the screen do?
Thanks for the help - gonna start playing a ton more of this instead of jubeat, especially since it's actually possible to play this back in the states when I go back after summer...

If I were in your position, I would make the opposite decision; it would be beating jus (seriously, I don't understand what possessed them to spell the name of the series this way to this day) and washing clothes all day, every day.

IIDX arranges all its songs in folders; the SPADA folder, containing songs that premiered in that version of the game, is the one open by default. You can tap the name of that folder or press a black key to close it and go back to other folders. There are folders for each entry in the series (1st style all the way through tricoro), folders with alphabetic ranges, folders by difficulty, etc. By default the songs in each folder are arranged in difficulty order for the difficulty you selected at the time you opened the folder; this sorting method can be changed but I honestly can't recall how. If you change difficulties, you can just close and reopen the folder to resort it.

The levers affect the sound coming from the machine when the equalizer is turned on, just like it would on a typical audio amp. There are some fun things you can do with it also; for example, one of the equalizer options allows you to change the pitch of all sound coming from the machine. Most players just use it as a means to make the machine louder, though.

Also, one more note about online stuff (and you -are- playing with an eAmusement card, right?) - in HK you are likely playing on Konami's official eAmusement network, which, aside from the Round 1 locations in California, does not operate in the US. Most eAmusement enabled machines in the US actually run on a third party network called Programmed World (Round 1 is the sole exception; they are a Japanese company that made arrangements to run games in the US under their Japanese account). As such, you can use the same card for both networks, but no data is shared between the two. Konami's network also has limit for how long they preserve data for inactive users before wiping it all, so if you are not returning to an area near a Round 1 you are probably going to lose your account a couple months after you leave HK. Programmed World has no such limitation.

Roubjon

Literally just going to be going in and tightening connectors. Dao lighting connectors fall loose. A lot.

Yeah, that's what I thought. My friend bought a Pop'n Dao controller a while back and that was what he had to do a bunch of times. Thing is amazing btw.

arttq

New style coming up:
http://www.konami.jp/am/locationtest/bm2dx22/
main.jpg

linid0t

^Anyone have any idea about the average time between location testing and release? Wondering if I'll be able to play this while I'm still in HK.

Also, managed to play a bit more today, and I think the biggest issue I have is hitting wrong keys - for some reason can't connect what's on the screen with the buttons when there are more than just a few notes. Had similar problems with DJMAX Portable. Jubeat, naturally, doesn't have this issue

^Anyone have any idea about the average time between location testing and release? Wondering if I'll be able to play this while I'm still in HK.

Also, managed to play a bit more today, and I think the biggest issue I have is hitting wrong keys - for some reason can't connect what's on the screen with the buttons when there are more than just a few notes. Had similar problems with DJMAX Portable. Jubeat, naturally, doesn't have this issue

SPADA went out for location testing at around the same timeframe. Release happened in November.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
It's a new IIDX and it's still not IIDX THE FINAL.

Intriguing design, yet again. 15 years.
Dao lighting connectors fall loose. A lot.
Ah, my bane. I've tried wedging electrical tape into the spaces, I've tried wedging delicately cut and positioned aluminum foil between the housing and the LED lights, and nothing works. I think there's no good solution beyond applying enough layers of solder to each corner of the bulb to the point where it requires considerable force to get them into the socket.

Yuuichi

What does that even mean?

I'm assuming it's a more phonetic writing of "Pendule", which explains the clock like structure in the center of the logo. The Dual is also sort of indicative of the two colours at work there. Expect a temporal/clock theme for this one.

Edit: not sure how I missed this but there's a clock hand right on the P.

opoth

Banned
The new style looks interesting, I wonder if there will be time-of-day based unlocks or phases in this one...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wish Konami would give the PS4 a reason to exist and start bringing out CS releases on it... It's just depressing to see a new IIDX at this point.

I'd gladly drop $150+ on a new entry if that's what it took.

Yuuichi

No need to panic. My PEE had absolutely no progress on its tracking for a week before it showed up in the US

Eh, I just expected faster of EMS, as my Japanese orders get to Phoenix 5 days from posting flat every time. When I don't see an update by Monday I'm gonna be pissed.

Ah, I remember the wait for my Dao in the mail. I wouldn't sweat it, there was no tracking update for 2 days...

...then boom, it was in Toronto, and was out for delivery the next day.

Kumubou

Wish Konami would give the PS4 a reason to exist and start bringing out CS releases on it... It's just depressing to see a new IIDX at this point.

I'd gladly drop $150+ on a new entry if that's what it took.
I think there's two reasons why Konami doesn't bother with console releases. I think there's some concern about people grinding the game at home instead of dropping coins in arcade cabinets, although I wonder how much this really matters as hardcore players have sim files (among other means) to play even the new songs. A fair number of them already do this, so I don't think it matters. That and they already have home releases where it makes sense (jubeat and Reflec Beat on iOS/Android) and where it doesn't (GitaDora and Pop'n on iOS/Android), so I doubt this is a dealbreaker in and of itself.

The other -- and much bigger -- issue is with having to produce controllers. The PS2 controllers are... well.. for PS2. :p They would need a whole new run of controllers, and I can't see how that would be worthwhile. If they really wanted to they could partner with another hardware manufacturer and use that to defray some of the cost, but I suspect even then it wouldn't be worth it. (Then again, Hori makes full-sized controllers for Project Diva, and that is just as niche... but the game is still playable on a controller). I think it would do OK sales wise even with a small playerbase, as they could throw an absurd amount of DLC at the game (much like how their iOS games are sold), but the controllers are a big problem.

Personally I think they should do a PS3/PS4 release of Sound Voltex -- make the core game F2P and pump out DLC packs up the wazoo, as that game is much more suitable to be played on a controller than IIDX is (and there are people who can pass Kaidan on a DS2 D: ).

shingonati0n

Neo Member
I play since 7th Style on PS2, and currently hace but not played much Tricoro. I have input lag issues, after all I'm still using my good old USKOC. Probably getting a usbemani board to eliminate lag and after that when I have enough money, I'll get either a DAO or a Rainbow (seems very good).

Roubjon

Moankey dance, moanky dance, shake your body, dance like a monkey! ~

monkey_dance_left.gif
monkey_dance_right.gif

I keep playing all these songs blindly and they never stop being amazing.

bjork

I found a complete and basically unplayed US beatmania at Game Dude last week, and man. I was never GOOD at it anyway, but having not played in eons, I'm horrible. But it's fun playing all those old songs again, heh.

I don't think I posted about this in here, but I am kicking myself for sleeping on an arcade machine that a dude had on CL near here. It was for beatmania Complete Mix, which is old style and not all fancy, but it was also $150. I waited one day too long and it was gone.

Yuuichi

DAOCon came in today, and it's awesome. I accidentally broke my tricoro so I haven't had time to play between work and people sleeping, but tomorrow morning should be awesome.

Oh wow! I love Beatmania! I'm so glad I found this thread! That's wonderful.

Bemani is my favourite Konami franchise. There are a couple others I like, like Gradius and Twinbee, but Bemani is my favourite.

I absolutely love Beatmania IIDX and hardcore so much. kors k and Ryu are so amazing.
I wish it weren't so expensive, though. A lot of the PlayStation 2 games are more than 100 dollars. And I definitely can't afford the arcade machines.

If I were really rich, I think I'd buy every single Bemani thing out there.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I absolutely love Beatmania IIDX and hardcore so much. kors k and Ryu are so amazing.
I wish it weren't so expensive, though. A lot of the PlayStation 2 games are more than 100 dollars. And I definitely can't afford the arcade machines.
Sims. The answer is sims.

CS is dead, and there are thousands - repeat, thousands - of non-Konami songs out there for you to experience.

Anyway, the location test is ongoing, let's get some stuff posted.

Location test poster.
Ameto lookin snazzy, and Hifumi's back.

New features.
R-RANDOM: offsets note patterns by a random number of lanes (essentially meaning you can predetermine which Random patterns you get by setting the number of offset lanes)
EXPAND-JUDGE: makes timing windows 4x larger, with the tradeoff that scores with this option won't save (aka Guitar Hero mode lol)
EX-COMBO: replaces the combo indicator with EX score

Leaked videos.
pigs said:
Interface looks to be simple, white, clean, and with gears. Good.

Information links: http://polyphonicroom.net/loctest-iidx22-pendual.html , http://www.bemaniwiki.com/index.php?beatmania%20IIDX%2022%20PENDUAL%2F%B2%D4%C6%AF%C1%B0%BE%F0%CA%F3 (cut songs are at the bottom of the page here)

Everything seems fine so far.

linid0t

Played on a machine with a headphone jack mod on it recently - why can't all of them just have one built in, like Sound Voltex?

On the other hand, it was waaaay to loud haha.

Anyways, is there any way to unlock songs faster? I can only attack once per credit in that rpg minigame thing after playing...

AlexIIDX

If beatmania ever came to ps3/4 i'd never play another game. I love iidx so much and ive only ever had BMUS and two encounters in arcades....I NEED it!

arttq

I still need a good Eurobeat-heavy PS2 version, which pre-9th style should I pursue?
6th and 7th style are most eurobeat heavy so one of those two (or preferably both). 7th style has bigger song list overall with many classic revivals so I would recommend it over 6th (though I might be biased because I started playing on 7th style).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I play it once in a while on my friends iPad, fun stuff!

Yeah, I've been playing the Japanese version since release. I used to buy every song pack, but it got expensive. I think I've got around 170 songs, and there's SO many more now. But it's the only true Bemani experience available on iOS/Android at this point, ha. I wish IIDX was playable on PS4. It'd be the greatest thing. Otherwise, it's nearly impossible to play here in the states (especially in Indiana...).

cj_iwakura

Does anyone have 9th Style? I was thinking of putting together a challenge from that for the week and possibly have a recurring thing.

TL21xx

Banned
I'd be up for being the whipping boy if I had any IIDX PS2 mixes, I only have LR2 for home play.

As far as Eurobeat goes, IIRC 7th was the strongest in part because of all the Super Eurobeat songs. Would have to look at my song library when I get home.

Crazy turnaround on Pendual, I wonder when we'll see updates Stateside. UFO got Spada in March or April IIRC, so early 2015 will probably be the soonest I get a stab at it.

Top Bottom