• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars |OT| I have a very good feeling about this...

I might have to take a look at the app for my son.
Who am I kidding, I just need Star Wars cards for myself.

Edit. Add me as a friend if you want. JABLESSWAN

Rootbeer

Banned
This thread needs more news and rumors :p

Rogue One concept art report!

Rogue One to evoke Halo? Source: /Film

Star Wars Rogue One Concept Art Description
Here is what I have learned about the Star Wars Rogue One concept art shown at the event:

The concept art was a gritty “dark/gray image”: “very dark and done in greens, so it evoked the idea that it was being done under the cloak of night.”
The art showed 4-5 armored, soldier-like persons on the ground, “with two to three ships in the background.”
Disney blogger/investor StitchKingdom says that the imagery “evoked concept art of a video game” and it “screamed Halo to me.”
“Dozens of figures in fatigues appeared to be storming something with a strange helicopterish vehicle (open on the sides) in the background, releasing more troops.”

Unfortunately neither of the sources we talked to knew enough about the Star Wars expanded universe to describe exactly who the characters may have been or what ships were pictured in the background.
There were tough-looking vehicles too.
The ships were fairly dark, and in the background.
They weren’t obviously X-Wing Fighters, which our sources would have recognized.
They “seemed a bit bigger than X-Wings”.
“More like a transport ship of sorts” but probably not as big as the Tantive IV (the transport ship we see Darth Vader board at the beginning of A New Hope).
The characters were all “generic” looking “wearing the same dark outfit.” “I didn’t see anything that would distinguish them as individuals.”
When I asked LA Times reporter Daniel Miller if they looked more like Rebel Alliance fighters in orange jumpsuits or a band of bounty hunters, he replied: “Neither. They were masked but not whimsical looking like those bounty hunters (I realize whimsy & mercenaries don’t go together).”

What does this tell us about the film compared to what we’ve heard already?

We had originally heard that the film would follow a group of bounty hunters who were hired to pull off a heist to steal the plans for the Death Star — think Seven Samurai or Suicide Squad meets Ocean’s Eleven in the world of Star Wars.
The “secret” working title for the film is Los Alamos, which you could speculate the temporary name points to the Manhattan Project and therefore possibly Geonosis.
Others have reported that the film will be about Boba Fett’s family (which may not conflict with our report).
And Latino-Review reported that the Star Wars spinoff won’t be a Han Solo story or a Boba Fett story, but a single film that includes both fan-favorite characters.
Finally, a report claimed that Hasbro leaked the plans for the Star Wars spin-offs which included a “Red Five” film, but scheduled for 2020. The 2016 spin-off film was set to be a Boba Fett stand alone movie.

More at the link!

Cheebo

Banned
As posted elsewhere Pablo Hidalgo (of the Lucasfilm story group) when linking to the announcement on his Facebook said:

"Rogue One, standing by."

A subtle confirmation it's a rogue squadron movie.

obin_gam

So I just finished Heir to the Jedi and it was somewhat fun. Didnt really feel like it added anything to the lore though. Except for a few minor things:

I like that Luke got another lightsaber from that dead Rodian Jedi, I am really psyched for the possibility of a book where he actually constructs his green saber (green>blue). I have, for my own sanity, started to forget the EU completely, so as to go in to these stories with a clear mind, so I dont care if his construction of a green lightsaber already has happened in Legends.

ghostmind

John Cassaday has announced he is leaving the Star Wars comic after issue 6. Personally, I'm surprised he lasted that long, though I am curious who Marvel gets as a replacement.

flkraven

So I had a neat thought: What if all of the spin-offs are based on the ships, not the people? As in, the main thread linkings everything together is the ship.

The first movie would be all about Slave One but would essentially serve as an origin story for Bobba Fett. The could do one on the Falcon. Etc etc.

Sorry if this idea has already been discussed.

ghostmind

Star Wars: Aftermath

http://www.starwars.com/news/what-happened-after-endor-find-out-in-star-wars-aftermath

The second Death Star has been destroyed. Rumors are flying that the Emperor and his enforcer, Darth Vader, are dead. A new government is forming to replace the Empire. But the galaxy is a big place, and the fallout of this cataclysm will affect different worlds in different ways. Does everyone accept the fall of Imperial rule? Has everyone even heard the life-altering news? What rushes in to fill the vacuum the Empire has left? And who will try to stop them? Those are some of the themes we’ll be exploring in Aftermath, and as a lifelong Star Wars fan, just writing those words gives me chills. I can’t wait for our first canon glimpse into the state of the galaxy after the Battle of Endor.

What’s more, Aftermath will be the first book in a trilogy that begins to bridge the Star Wars timeline between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. There is so much unknown between the Battle of Endor and the events of The Force Awakens, and we’re excited to take our first step into that space.

Obviously I wish I could tell you more about the story, but I can’t just yet. What I can reveal is that you will be introduced to a sweeping new cast of characters, along with a fan favorite from the films. And who knows what other familiar faces will pop up along the way? And once you’ve seen The Force Awakens in movie theaters, you may find that certain names and places in Aftermath have a relevance you never knew–so keep your eyes wide open!

nJwapLb.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
So I had a neat thought: What if all of the spin-offs are based on the ships, not the people? As in, the main thread linkings everything together is the ship.

The first movie would be all about Slave One but would essentially serve as an origin story for Bobba Fett. The could do one on the Falcon. Etc etc.

Sorry if this idea has already been discussed.
Well the first movie is Rogue One (aka Rogue Squadron) so that doesn't really work.

ghostmind

According to Bleeding Cool, Stuart Immonen is the new artist on the Star Wars comic, starting with issue #8. No word on who is going to be doing the art on #7 though.

According to Bleeding Cool, Stuart Immonen is the new artist on the Star Wars comic, starting with issue #8. No word on who is going to be doing the art on #7 though.

Fantastic if true. And Aftermath sounds great. Can't wait to read it.

Edit: Yeah it's official.

Marvel Entertainment and Lucasfim Ltd. are pleased to announce the addition of Stuart Immonen as the new series artist for STAR WARS! Immonen joins series writer Jason Aaron to continue the chart-topping, record breaking series this July!

Beginning this July with STAR WARS #8, Stuart Immonen journeys to a galaxy far, far away for the continuing adventures of some of fiction’s most beloved characters! For now, get a peek at what to expect with your very first look at Immonen’s early pencils for the STAR WARS #8 cover.

portrait_uncanny.jpg

http://marvel.com/news/comics/24274/stuart_immonen_joins_star_wars

CorvoSol

I grew up on Star Wars, but of the EU my main experiences were with the games. KOTOR and Jedi Knight. I've been reading Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy this last year and it's really good. I think it really managed to maintain the feeling of the Star Wars universe, and I'm either in love with new characters (Mara, Thrawn) or at least favorable to them. So it's kinda a shame that they're going away.

But I also remember reading some of the Yuuzhan Vong stuff as a kid and I'm kinda okay with that going away.

Aiii

So not worth it
John Cassaday has announced he is leaving the Star Wars comic after issue 6. Personally, I'm surprised he lasted that long, though I am curious who Marvel gets as a replacement.

Gonna miss his art, his characters are spot on, hope his replacement has the same style.

Rootbeer

Banned
Great replacement. Love both artists though.

With Star Wars we'll never have a lack of great talent lining up to work on it, which is great.

Having not seen TFA yet (of course) it's hard to form a solid opinion on this. However, assuming this movie is everything I could reasonably hope for, I would love it if he came back to finish off the trilogy strong and according to the vision he anticipated when making TFA.

Everybody basically knows that his work on Star Trek may have been a bit better suited for Star Wars, ditching a lot of the thought and morals for action and excitement. However besides that, the respect he showed to design and characters gives me a lot of hope for TFA. Everything from sound effects to subtle references (not talking about the overt ones in STID), the movie was absolutely loaded with stuff from older Trek without a lot of it being too distracting. (Again, that's ignoring Orci's straight repeat of TWoK and focusing more on the first movie) That sounds great for Star Wars.

Then again if TFA is less than stellar nobody will want him back.

Making Star Wars is backing it up saying that's what they are hearing as well.
Oh okay, I've been avoiding spoilers as much as possible but I know they've got a good track record.

This is pretty interesting then, wasn't Rian Johnson hired to direct VIII and write IX? So we'd have JJ direct and partially write VII, Johnson writing and directing VIII, Johnson writing IX, JJ directing IX.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is it just me or are some of these star wars comics on a bi-weekly schedule? or am i really so old that time is flying by so fast I can't tell the difference T__T

Is it just me or are some of these star wars comics on a bi-weekly schedule? or am i really so old that time is flying by so fast I can't tell the difference T__T

Marvel has been pumping stuff out bi weekly a lot for the past 1-2 years, so I wouldn't be surprised.

BFIB

I need to get caught up on the comics end. Read the first couple Star Wars, the first issue of Vader, but have to read the rest.

No, you're right it does seem like that. Then again, Star Wars, Vader and Leia have all double shipped in their first month so it seems they've been released pretty regularly.

Interesting rumour about JJ directing IX. Obviously we can't judge The Force Awakens yet but I like JJ so I'd be okay with it.

Rootbeer

Banned
I think JJ was fantastic for Trek 2009. Strek II I'll chalk it up to script issues. It doesn't hold up to 2009, sadly.

Course, I think TFA has the potential to be much better than Trek 2009. And I'm hoping that it will be. There's much more riding on this film than that one.

Look at how well Trek 2009 did, such an excellent job of rebooting that universe and people were very warm to it. The world was PRIMED for a new television series and they totally squandered it. And now look, just a few short years later and tv is bursting with genre shows but there's nothing quite like Trek on the air. It could have dominated the mindshare for a good sci-fi space show.

Their heads are up their asses. Star Wars (Disney) knows how to plan their shit.

Do we have a thread for the comics? I just read Darth Vader #1 and #2. Pretty good so far. Still need to read the others even though I have bought them.

For the first time, a Star Wars score wont be recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra:

John Williams is currently hard at work composing the score for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which will be recorded in Los Angeles. For the recording of the score, Williams will work with members of the superb freelance orchestra with which he’s recorded numerous film scores over the years. The music will be recorded over several months while working in tandem with the film’s editorial and special effects teams on the West Coast.

While previous films in the saga were scored at Abbey Road with the celebrated London Symphony Orchestra, this will be the first time a Star Wars score has been recorded in the United States.

http://www.starwars.com/news/john-williams-to-record-star-wars-the-force-awakens-score-in-los-angeles

Hopefully, the working with editorial bit means that they will try to avoid the problems in the Prequels, in which the scores were butchered because they were recorded well before final edit.

Top Bottom