• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Burnout Paradise Remastered coming to PS4, Xbox One, Switch

On the topic of EA and remasters: Does anyone else find it odd that they've completely ignored the concept? It seems absurd to leave so much easy money on the table. Porting older games from the PC versions and running them at 1080p on the current gen x86 consoles isn't exactly a gigantic development task. It's pure profit. I don't understand the mentality behind it. It's absurd (in my mind) that we don't at least have a "remaster" (ported PC version) of the Mass Effect trilogy.

RAIDEN1

I recently purchased Burnout revenge for the 360! Seeing as it is not backward compatible still great as ever more than a decade on.

Burnout Revenge or Takedown are far better games.

I would take literally any Burnout except for the open world crap that was Burnout Paradise. No one wants to drive around searching for events with no control over the track or event. It's just a huge waste of time.

The whole point of arcade racing is to launch the game, pick the event you want to play and the course you want to play it at, and roll out. It was never to drive around looking for missions.

Also the split screen couch co-op mode in previous Burnouts were godly.

Spidey_BR

Neo Member
Hi guys. I'm currently working with Gamepress team and would like to correct the news. The source was not spotted on a Brazilian retailer's Web site but on a videgames suplier list.
Bye

Vote here on EA bringing Burnout Revenge to the Xbox https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503-backward-compatibility/suggestions/8379786-burnout-revenge

Paradise turned it into another open world borefest, where you spend more time finding a race than racing, and a wrong turn on the bland city streets during a race ruins your race.

Worst Burnout game.
100% True

Paradise destroyed the franchise. Driving around looking events with no control over the course or event you want to play, No split screen, accidentally missing a turn just to have the event that you spent 10-30 minutes looking for end prematurely, Paradise is not a Burnout game, it was garbage.

Give us either Burnout 2, 3 or Revenge. Please don't give us the garbage open world Burnout that no one asked for, and that is already available via BC on xbox EA.

groansey

The problem with the vocal Burnout “fans” in this thread is everyone wants them to remaster a different game in the series and they’re indirectly contributing to the series staying dead.

I only played 1, 3 and Paradise. Paradise > 1 >>> 3.

3 is the most popular because it was the most accessible and instantly gratifying, but it was not a deep experience. It’s boring, honestly.

Meanwhile lots of people were salty with Paradise to begin with because EA and open world or some shit.

Paradise is better open world driving experience than the last two GTA’s, it’s addictive, has a ton to do, it was one of the best games of last gen. I would welcome a Switch and PS4 version.

Comparing Burnout Paradise to GTA is laughable. In GTA, the task doesn't end as soon as you accidentally miss a turn or take the wrong turn. In GTA you can actually get out of the car and there's a million different things you can do, driving is only 10% of the game.

Arcade racers should let you pick the event and track, not having you spend more time driving around looking for events rather than actually playing events. And not having a million different streets and accidentally missing the turn or taking the wrong turn ends the whole event that you wasted 20 minutes trying to find.

People would prefer any other Burnout to Burnout Paradise.

Breakage

The thing that really puts me off Burnout Paradise (apart from having to endure "Take me down to the paradise city"every time I start up the game) is the game's open world approach means the player is compelled to look at the minimap during races.

How anyone thought that was a good idea in a game like Burnout is beyond me.

Petrae

The thing that really puts me off Burnout Paradise (apart from having to endure "Take me down to the paradise city"every time I start up the game) is the game's open world approach means the player is compelled to look at the minimap during races.

How anyone thought that was a good idea in a game like Burnout is beyond me.

Having to look at a map or away from cars to look at a flashing street sign is a killer, and any arcade racer that does this is not a game I want to play. Paradise was, for me, an epic disappointment after enjoying the series from the get-go with its closed track design and focus on the vehicles instead of “where the fuck do I go” moments. The new event types weren’t my thing, either.

Burnout simply wasn’t Burnout anymore with Paradise. Burnout elements were locked away underneath a run-of-the-mill open world game, which had become the preferred type of game by many at that point, but you had to swallow the bullshit in order to get to the good stuff. There was never going to be a return to traditional Burnout arcade racing after that, so I really wasn’t terribly broken up when the series died off.

groansey

If you don’t love Burnout Paradise, you misunderstood it or didn’t give it enough of a chance. The game was godlike. Masterful. Best of the generation.

Phhhh

Burnout Paradise isn't just my favorite Burnout game, it's one of my favorite games of all time. It took the formula for burnout and made it open world in such an amazing way. I didn't like it at first, but playing it for a while and then playing it with friends I started to notice the genius of the game.

After you completed a bunch of the events it basically became an open world skate park for your car. Every game Criterion released afterward I hoped would have the same toy factor of this game and I bought every one of their NFS games and they just didn't have the same feel, no barrel rolls, spins or their wacky Katamari-esque crash mode.

The year of paradise that they did adding free updates that ended with the paid Island DLC was such a fun time too, it kept bringing me back to the game to try out the new things. I might hook up my PS3 again just to play this. I have the PC version, but it doesn't work for some reason and it never got all of the DLC AFAIK.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
BP got boring hella fast....Rather play Burnout 3 or Blur I could play these forever

but this is good for people who somehow never played BP

People who don’t like Paradise aren’t real Burnout fans. Sure 3 and Ravenge stuck with the old arcade racer formula and crash mode was always fun to play, but Paradise opened up the franchise with an open world to mess around and expand on.

You admit that they completely changed things in Paradise. How does that mean people who dislike Paradise aren't real Burnout fans? Paradise is a radically different type of Burnout game.

Just as stupid a case could be made that if your favorite Burnout is the one that turns it's back on what Burnout was prior to, you aren't the real Burnout fan.

Just a dumb argument all around imo.

wvnative

Just gonna copy and paste what I wrote in the perfect game thread and then elaborate further.

To this day, I consider this the pinnacle of video games. You have insane amounts of content, a year of FREE updates that added substantial amounts of content like motorcycles, day/night cycle, constant QOL updates with updated interface every few months, and when they finally started charging for stuff, they charged for cool shit like classic movie cars and a new area of the map that essentially adds a new campaign. You can create your own races. Competitive events are fun as hell and don't all revolve around racing, you have stunt competitions, road rage (which was basically a violent tag your it with cars) and other modes. You have imo, perfect car handling while still maintaining a noticeable control difference between cars. Different boost styles reward different styles of play. They were among the first devs to add custom soundtrack and screenshot support to the PS3. They had an in-game messaging system you could access long before in-game XMB was a thing. Easy Drive remains the most seamless and innovative menu system ever, with true seamless online/offline switching, music track switching and restarting races ALL without having to stop your car or see a load screen. Open ended racing rewards map exploration. Collectables help the player learn shortcuts and the like all across the map. Online cooperative challenges were not only the most fun I've had in video games, but helped me at least to foster what has become lifelong friendships. When my friend and I were stuck on DSL, this was the only game that worked FLAWLESSLY. No lag, no disconnects, crystal clear voice chat, a testament to the game's online infrastructure. They had what felt like at the time, infinite paint combinations for most cars, allowing you to make your car truly your own. This was everything modern gaming COULD be. Gaming Perfection. Fuck the haters.

Also, everything I just listed is just what made it into the game, read up on what got cut, and I'll leave you something to imagine.

I also would like to say, this game felt more about driving than racing, which might be why it has such vocal haters, but I feel this worked to the game's advantage. I seriously want to be buried with my PS3 copy in my hands.

There were tears in my eyes when I saw this headline... never thought EA would be bright enough to do anything with burnout again.

hiphopcr

BURNOUT-3-TAKEDOWN-Xbox-Microsoft-Video-Game-Original.jpg

Only this

Game still holds up. When it came out on Xbox BC, it popped into my games list as it was the FIRST game I ever bought digitally...and 10 years later it magically re-appeared.

My kids play it now, almost daily. Game is still so fast, the crashes are still unbeatable.

Bring it, will re-buy.

Sleepydays

Banned
Just gonna copy and paste what I wrote in the perfect game thread and then elaborate further.

To this day, I consider this the pinnacle of video games. You have insane amounts of content, a year of FREE updates that added substantial amounts of content like motorcycles, day/night cycle, constant QOL updates with updated interface every few months, and when they finally started charging for stuff, they charged for cool shit like classic movie cars and a new area of the map that essentially adds a new campaign. You can create your own races. Competitive events are fun as hell and don't all revolve around racing, you have stunt competitions, road rage (which was basically a violent tag your it with cars) and other modes. You have imo, perfect car handling while still maintaining a noticeable control difference between cars. Different boost styles reward different styles of play. They were among the first devs to add custom soundtrack and screenshot support to the PS3. They had an in-game messaging system you could access long before in-game XMB was a thing. Easy Drive remains the most seamless and innovative menu system ever, with true seamless online/offline switching, music track switching and restarting races ALL without having to stop your car or see a load screen. Open ended racing rewards map exploration. Collectables help the player learn shortcuts and the like all across the map. Online cooperative challenges were not only the most fun I've had in video games, but helped me at least to foster what has become lifelong friendships. When my friend and I were stuck on DSL, this was the only game that worked FLAWLESSLY. No lag, no disconnects, crystal clear voice chat, a testament to the game's online infrastructure. They had what felt like at the time, infinite paint combinations for most cars, allowing you to make your car truly your own. This was everything modern gaming COULD be. Gaming Perfection. Fuck the haters.

Also, everything I just listed is just what made it into the game, read up on what got cut, and I'll leave you something to imagine.

I also would like to say, this game felt more about driving than racing, which might be why it has such vocal haters, but I feel this worked to the game's advantage. I seriously want to be buried with my PS3 copy in my hands.

There were tears in my eyes when I saw this headline... never thought EA would be bright enough to do anything with burnout again.

Great post! Yeah, it's probably the game I've played most, ever. The expansions were incredible, too. I'm there on day one for a remaster.

JP

People who don’t like Paradise aren’t real Burnout fans. Sure 3 and Ravenge stuck with the old arcade racer formula and crash mode was always fun to play, but Paradise opened up the franchise with an open world to mess around and expand on.

Criterion was always supporting the game post launch with fun Easter eggs like the DeLorean car, adding bikes as a different way to play, and the Big Surf Island expansion.

Paradise still holds a special place my heart for one my favorite racing games of all time and if rumor true I’ll be happy to pick this gem up.

As for all the posers, this is the perfect time to show support for this release if you want to see this franchise to return.
I've never been able to work out whether "not real fans" posts are supposed to actually be compliments or insults. From the other nonsense in this post, I'm just going to take it as a compliment as I've really enjoyed all the games.

I can still remember the Shiny Red Car article in Edge long before Burnout was a thing, let alone "real Burnout fans" were.

If you don’t love Burnout Paradise, you misunderstood it or didn’t give it enough of a chance. The game was godlike. Masterful. Best of the generation.

It's a matter of what you expected. When I got my PS3 I wanted the same experience of a totally arcade racer that I remembered from playing at my friends house on his PS2 instead I got boring open world experience of driving to find an event. If you wanted open world it probably was good.

Breakage

Having to look at a map or away from cars to look at a flashing street sign is a killer, and any arcade racer that does this is not a game I want to play. Paradise was, for me, an epic disappointment after enjoying the series from the get-go with its closed track design and focus on the vehicles instead of “where the fuck do I go” moments. The new event types weren’t my thing, either.

Burnout simply wasn’t Burnout anymore with Paradise. Burnout elements were locked away underneath a run-of-the-mill open world game, which had become the preferred type of game by many at that point, but you had to swallow the bullshit in order to get to the good stuff. There was never going to be a return to traditional Burnout arcade racing after that, so I really wasn’t terribly broken up when the series died off.

I agree. With a game like Burnout, you need to have your eyes on the road. I think the series peaked with Burnout 2. I've got Burnout 3: Takedown on my 360. It's a good game, but I'm not a fan of the takedowns and traffic checking. The series was at its best when it was purely about driving really fast and avoiding traffic.

JP

Microsoft already saved us from endless remasters with back compat. The beginning of this gen was brutal having to re-buy all your old games.
For me, in an idea situation games that I like would be available to play via Microsoft's backwards compatibility service AND available as a paid remaster.

I absolutely love this game but it does look decidedly rough on the Xbox when upscaled to a 4K panel, it's OK for free but I would be more than happy to pay for a good quality remaster of the game. The same if it happened to the Mass Effect games

How will they put loot boxes in though??

New events won't open based on progression but on copious amounts of time grinding in the open world. This slowly earns you in-game currency that you can use to purchase loot boxes. Each loot box has a chance of opening a new event. But you might just unlock a paint color, decal, or alternate version of a car in your garage. You can purchase in game currency via microtransactions that you can redeem for more loot boxes to speed up the process.

Is that nightmarish enough for you?

Edit: I just recalled that my avatar is Heloise from Jimmy Two-Shoes. Her job is literally to invent and develop products that make people miserable. I should totally be in some corporate position at EA.

Hwoar

Hmmm very good game... I want it!

However.. I already played it so much that I doubt I can get into it again:(

Blood Borne

According to this blog post, which in turn makes reference to this post on another Brazilian blog, versions of Burnout Paradise for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One have been spotted on a Brazilian retailer's Web site.

Burnout Paradise is a superb racing game that still holds up very well, even after nearly a decade. Would you like to see a refreshed version for newer systems? I know that I would!
Awful Burnout. I fuckin hate open world racing. "Open world racing is an oxymoron".
Please we need burnout 2, 3 and Revenge remastered. Not this open world abomination.

AR15mex

I have played burnout 3 takedown and paradise. He are my quick takes:

• Burnout 3 I only played the demo and I fell in love immediately, but I couldn't play the whole thing since it never came out on GC.
  • Paradise is really good, but I feel the racing part gets a little confusing due to the nature of the openworld design.

Brizzo24

I still have and play my copy of Burnout: Revenge on my Xbox 360. I'd like to play 3 Takedown, but no longer have a way to play it. I agree, Paradise isn't the highlight in the series, and certainly not everyone's favorite. But if enough people show their love for Paradise, perhaps we'll see the others make a comeback too!

Akzel

I need it! Sure it's far from good as previous Burnout such as Takedown but I had my fun with it playing with friends. Can't wait if it's true to play again and hope for more Burnout Remaster.

Top Bottom