• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soriku

Before everyone starts begging for their favorite corporation to buy the game division, bear in mind that is extremely unlikely, and would probably hurt them.

Yeah I suggest everyone read this post from the other thread...

An operation like Atlus (with a well-developed publishing arm, a series of niche markets, and development infrastructure oriented around multiple companies' platforms) is rarely an efficient investment for a platform-holder.

If we get to the point where we're actually having a real conversation about "who will buy Atlus" (and we're really not anywhere near that now), you're much more likely looking at another third-party Japanese publisher who believes Atlus' stable of properties could complement their own.

raven777

so I am not familiar with these kind of things, but is it possible for a company to buy the atlus game division out and release their games? Like not just the IPs but the whole part of the Atlus and their staffs?

kyoya

My bet is that a game company from South Korea, Taiwan or mainland China buys Atlus out. Shit, it's going to be a confusing day at Atlus USA, wonder if they knew beforehand or can even make payroll.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I think I should be buying Persona 2: Innocent Sin soon.

Kyon

Banned
To quote a market research firm's English-language FAQ about the procedure...

The tl;dr is that it's definitely a reorganization, rather than liquidation or absorption. Index will continue operating, under the ownership of some combination of current management and current creditors.

thank goodness

I can't quite see Nintendo doing that.

And boy, I could see a lot of outrage if that did happen.

Gaf:
AWXyY4q.gif

wrowa

Seriously, can someone tell us what does it mean for Atlus? It's too relevant, we must know abotu them ;_;

Atlus and Index are one and the same. Atlus is not a seperate entity by any means, it's just a brand at this point.

In other words, they are dead. Holy fucking shit, this is the worst day in recent gaming history.

I hope their overseas business is still safe... I want to get Soul Hackers and SMTIV in Europe.

And dammit, I want to know what FE x SMT was all about. I hope someone else than Sony buys the company... oh god and please not SE or Konami either.

Xater

Well selling of Atlus seems likely. I am sure someone wants them for Persona and SMT. Not sure who would be a likely buyer though.

Refyref

It's extremely likely that whoever buys the games division won't be a video games company at all, people.

The tl;dr is that it's definitely a reorganization, rather than liquidation or absorption. Index will continue operating, under the ownership of some combination of current management and current creditors. Think, say, GM or Chrysler.

Oh, even better.

so I am not familiar with these kind of things, but is it possible for a company to buy the atlus game division out and release their games? Like not just the IPs but the whole part of the Atlus and their staffs?

It is a remote possibility, yes, but you should not expect that to happen.

CSX

The tl;dr is that it's definitely a reorganization, rather than liquidation or absorption. Index will continue operating, under the ownership of some combination of current management and current creditors. Think, say, GM or Chrysler.

but isnt the current management and creditors the people behind all the corruption?

Kyon

Banned
Well selling of Atlus seems likely. I am sure someone wants the for Persona and SMT. Not sure who would be a likely buyer though.

Sony will buy Persona, Nintendo can buy SMT.

And literally nothing will change because both are exclusive to those platforms anyway

Sony will buy Persona, Nintendo can buy SMT.

And literally nothing will change because both are exclusive to those platforms anyway
Splitting the IPs between companies would be awful. Someone needs to buy them lock, stock and barrel.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, according to Mandoric's post, we shouldn't see too many differences in the next future? Hopefully so...

wrowa

nintendo won't be buying them. i don't think sony would either.

tecmo-koei might be a large-ish company that could do it. maaaaaaybe konami? the only rpg franchise they sorta have is dragon's dogma.

The same Konami that bought Hudson?

Well, if this is gonna happen and Atlus gets screwed over, can we at least get SMT4 out? :(

It may be childish, but because we know NOTHING about P5, if that's cancelled, I don't think I would be sad at all. The moment we learned anything about the game, it would be a different story.

CSX

Splitting the IPs between companies would be awful. Someone needs to buy them lock, stock and barrel.

This. Lets not forget SMT , persona, and other spin offs use a lot of the same assets. That can lead to trouble if the IPs get split and companies actually use them.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Originally Posted by Teikoku Databank

Civil Rehabilitation Law
The Civil Rehabilitation Law was introduced in April 2000, replacing the Composition Law. The Civil Rehabilitation Law may be applied to all corporations and individuals, including joint stock companies, limited liability companies, medical corporations and educational corporations. The purpose of the Civil Rehabilitation Law is rapid rehabilitation before a corporate failure becomes more serious. The party applying the Law is normally an obligor. A creditor may also apply, however. The management rights rest with the former management in principle. However, there are cases in which a supervision order (supervision committee members are selected and given guardianship over a business owner) or an administration order (an administrator is selected and appointed and manages the business in place of the business owner) may be issued based on an application of an interested person or the official power of a court. The approval of a rehabilitation plan requires the approval of a majority of creditors present owed half or more of the amount of reported credits. If the approval of creditors with three fifths or more of reported credits is obtained, a procedure to investigate and determine credits may be omitted (simple rehabilitation). If approved by all of notified creditors, approval for a plan can be obtained immediately (approved rehabilitation).

Making sure this is quoted in the whole for the new page. It may not be entirely dead, folks. At least I certainly hope not.

I'm going to have to prioritize some Atlus purchases ASAP otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom