• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm hired acting coach for Han Solo star's performance

c3f.gif

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maybe the real source of the problem is something else...

maybe it's...

trying to make a Han Solo film?

Baconmonk

This isn't going to be good is it?

I really want this movie to be good, such potential for awesome stories here.

kevin1025

Banned
This isn't going to be good is it?

I really want this movie to be good, such potential for awesome stories here.

It can still turn out well, just... it's going to be a real damn mess getting there. Righting the ship during a crash and then still hoping to make it at arrival time is going to take a lot of work, haha.

But an insider argues that Rian Johnson (Looper) shot Star Wars: The Last Jedi, set for release in December, seamlessly, proving that the right director can execute without major interference from Lucasfilm.

Praise Be

They really need to rein this shit in and give the new trilogy room to breathe. This isn't the fucking MCU where we absolutely have to have 1-2 movies every single goddamn year.

What a travesty that I'll most likely be burned out on Star Wars by the time Episode IX is released.

I hope this movie turns out to be the absolute mess that it sounds like and they lose a shitload of cash on it, learning a hard lesson in the process.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They should just stop this foolishness and do the Western-style Obi-wan movie: For a Fistful of Credits.

You can't do Han Solo without Harrison Ford, it just can't be done.

adj_noun

Lando and Han, attempting their first heist, scale the laser ladder leaning against the crime boss hideout

Lando: Han! You need to climb the ladder!

Han: (defiant) I'm fine where I am, Lando!

Lando: I can't reach you! You're SO LOW!

Music swells, zoom in on Han's face

Han: And I always will be.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
So unreal things ever got to this point.

Of all the movies this is probably the most important as it's recasting one of the most iconic characters in cinema, not just new characters or undeveloped characters in the same universe. Now the directors are fired, along with an editor, and they've brought in an acting coach for the lead actor, who is by no means a bad actor, but rather quite good. So the direction L&M took him must have been really off script.

Feels like there's a lot more work that needs to be re/done than ~7ish weeks of scheduled shooting time allows for.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I honestly believe they weren't ready for the jump to a live action film of this size. Animation and R rated comedies are totally different ballgame.

I'm surprised they went with an acting coach for Alden of all people. I've seen Emilia Clarke in a few movies now and....yeah...not a big deal on that front though

Some interesting bits about Lord and Miller:

”You have to make decisions much earlier than what they're used to," one of these sources say. ”I don't know if it's because there were two of them but they were not decisive." Production department heads began to complain. While the pair appeared to listen when told of festering problems, this person says their approach did not change.

But the source close to Lord and Miller acknowledges they have always worked in an improvisational style and not just to add comedic elements. "They collaborate closely with their actors and give them creative freedom that, in their experience, brings out the actors' best performances," this person says. "Lawrence Kasdan would not allow this and demanded that every line was said word for word. To appease him and the studio, Lord and Miller would do several takes exactly as written and then shoot additional takes."

But Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause.
That's crazy if true.

About the lead actor:
And, not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from Rules Don't Apply star Alden Ehrenreich, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach. (Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is.) Lord and Miller suggested writer-director Maggie Kiley, who worked with them on 21 Jump Street.

Yeah, sounds like one hell of a mess. I never liked the casting of Alden Ehrenreich, despite his performance in the last Coen movie. But recasting Harrison Ford was always going to be a nightmare.

btrboyev

They should just stop this foolishness and do the Western-style Obi-wan movie: For a Fistful of Credits.

You can't do Han Solo without Harrison Ford, it just can't be done.

Agreed. I'm not saying anything bad about the actor playing Han, but Harrison Ford is Han Solo, and nobody to me will ever be a replacement. Same with Indiana Jones.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Seriously, apparently they settled on the concept for the 2020 spin-off a few weeks ago, and if it's not along the lines of this, I'm going to picketing the Lucasfilm offices.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
They really need to rein this shit in and give the new trilogy room to breathe. This isn't the fucking MCU where we absolutely have to have 1-2 movies every single goddamn year.

What a travesty that I'll most likely be burned out on Star Wars by the time Episode IX is released.

I hope this movie turns out to be the absolute mess that it sounds like and they lose a shitload of cash on it, learning a hard lesson in the process.

The MCU started much slower - only after 10 years are they trying 3 movies a year.

This is for real doing way too much, too fast. Management really needs time to gel with this process.

You don't have to watch them

Malyse

They do something that can only make the end product better and people are lashing out at them over it.
K.

I'm still not worried.

Tobor

Not sure how the Lord and Miller defenders will take this article. It really does look like they screwed the pooch here.

The article said:
The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause.

Damn.

At least it seems they shot a lot of Kasdans dialogue in addition to the improv stuff. That's a good sign.

kevin1025

Banned
Well then.

If true, it certainly sounds like they were just putting on a good face and knew things weren't going so hot.

Plus only doing 2-3 setups rather than the normal 12-15 sounds like a real nightmare. No wonder Kathleen Kennedy wanted reshoots.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I honestly believe they weren't ready for the jump to a live action film of this size. Animation and R rated comedies are totally different ballgame.

I'm surprised they went with an acting coach for Alden of all people. I've seen Emilia Clarke in a few movies now and....yeah...not a big deal on that front though

The issue most likely is that Han Solo is Harrison Ford. There's just too much of Ford in the character's DNA to recast and have it work, they'll run into the same problem with Indiana Jones if they try it. It doesn't matter how good an actor he is.

Seriously, apparently they settled on the concept for the 2020 spin-off a few weeks ago, and if it's not along the lines of this, I'm going to picketing the Lucasfilm offices.

I mean, it practically writes itself and they'd have another easy trilogy on their hands. It'd be a whole lot easier to doing this.

Top Bottom