• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sopranos ending.

Kraftwerk

funnily enough I'm rewatching the series currently.

MqgNaFM.jpg

Jombie

Unless Chase confirms that he died, I'll always take it as Tony's paranoia and fear consuming him for the rest of his life.

sangreal

I said to Gandolfini, the bell rings and you look up. That last shot of Tony ends on 'don't stop,' it's mid-song. I'm not going to go into [if that's Tony's POV]. I thought the possibility would go through a lot of people's minds or maybe everybody's mind that he was killed. He might have gotten shot three years ago in that situation. But he didn't. Whether this is the end here, or not, it's going to come at some point for the rest of us. Hopefully we're not going to get shot by some rival gang mob or anything like that. I'm not saying that [happened]. But obviously he stood more of a chance of getting shot by a rival gang mob than you or I do because he put himself in that situation. All I know is the end is coming for all of us.

http://www.dga.org/Craft/DGAQ/All-Articles/1502-Spring-2015/Shot-to-Remember-The-Sopranos.aspx

In the end, it's really just a music video for don't stop believing

Tony's flipping through the jukebox; it's almost like the soundtrack of his life, because he sees various songs. No matter what song we picked, I wanted it to be a song that would have been from Tony's high school years, or his youth. That's what he would have played. When I wrote it, there were three songs in contention for this last song, and 'Don't Stop Believin'' was the one that seemed to work the best. I think it's a really good rock 'n' roll song. The music is very important to me in terms of the timing of the scene, the rhythm of the scene. The song dictates part of the pace. And having certain lyrics of the song, and certain instrumental flourishes happen in certain places, dictates what the cuts will be. I directed the scene to fit the song. The singing gets more and more strident and more invested as the song goes along. Musically it starts to build and build into something as it's just about to release. And when you look at the scene, you get that feeling.

Not really.

Actually, it is. Inherently so. You can't factually state whether he died, so it's ambiguous.

I'm still a proponent of the notion that the ending was meant to portray that the life Tony signed up for is something that will get you one way or another. Whether he dies there on the spot, or he gets convicted by that guy who's testifying against him, or his family falls victim to his lifestyle, or he ends up alone (and mentally gone) like June, ... Doesn't really matter.

darscot

I never bought into the Tony got wacked concept. If he was amongst gangsters then maybe he gets hit by one of his own and doesn't see it coming. Getting hit in a public place with his family completely unaware, it just doesn't fit with the character. He was the Boss and he didn't get there being clueless. The story started and ended with family that's all there was to it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
David Chase on the ending:

There are no esoteric clues in there. No Da Vinci Code. Everything that pertains to that episode was in that episode. And it was in the episode before that and the one before that and seasons before this one and so on. There had been indications of what the end is like. Remember when Gerry Torciano was killed? Silvio was not aware that the gun had been fired until after Gerry was on his way down to the floor. That's the way things happen: It's already going on by the time you even notice it. [...] I'm not saying anything. And I'm not trying to be coy. It's just that I think that to explain it would diminish it.

He's dead, guys.

David Chase on the ending:

He's dead, guys.

Again, it's ambiguous.

"To simply quote David as saying, 'Tony Soprano is not dead,' is inaccurate. There is a much larger context for that statement and as such, it is not true. As David Chase has said numerous times on the record, 'Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point' To continue to search for this answer is fruitless. The final scene of The Sopranos raises a spiritual question that has no right or wrong answer."

"Members Only". One of the best endings in tv history. Not quite as good as Six Feet Under, but damn good. Most other Directors would have chose the cheezy and overdone drama of a crying family surrounding Tony. It was an unexpected delivery and that made it perfect.

Eh, I still like to believe it was just another night for Tony and co.

He may have died that second, he may have gotten indicted the next week, he may have lived to 100. I usually don't like ambiguous endings, but this one worked for me.

I remember sitting there watching that ending and feeling so tense. Practically clawing at my couch before the cut to black. I understand those that think the cut to black is tony being whacked. I would agree if we were looking from Tony's perspective towards meadow in this case but I kind of feel David chase wanted to give us something grander in this case. For those few minutes he gave us viewers a few minutes of what it felt like to live in Tony's skin. Who's that guy by the bar? Who are those shady fellas that just walked in? Why is meadow late? Just a constant state of anxiety and he pulled it off perfectly.

I'm into season 5, rewatching it with a friend who has never seen it. It has been an even better experience than the first time I watched it (more mature, having consumed far more media, art, and entertainment, having a broader perspective with a more discerning eye for themes and details, etc).

I remember the ending like I saw it yesterday (only seen it the one time, back when it aired). Seeing the show build to that is absolutely incredible. It is a masterful finale, and it is earned by every single minute of the series.

Top Bottom