• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hostages in Philippine town forced to fight, loot, become sex slaves

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...fight--loot--become-sex-slaves---army-8981872

The Philippines ruled out negotiations on Tuesday with Islamist militants holding hostages and occupying a southern town, after reports that a rebel leader wanted to trade a Catholic priest for his parents being held by police.

MARAWI CITY, Philippines: Civilians held hostage by Islamist militants occupying a southern Philippine city have been forced to loot homes, take up arms against government troops and serve as sex slaves for rebel fighters, the army said on Tuesday.

Citing accounts of seven residents of Marawi City who either escaped or were rescued, the military said some hostages were forced to convert to Islam, carry wounded fighters to mosques, and marry militants of the Maute group loyal to Islamic State.

"This is what is happening inside, this is very evident," military spokesman Jo-Ar Herrera told a news conference.

President Rodrigo Duterte, reappearing in public after a week-long absence, said he was deeply saddened by the crisis and promised Marawi would be rebuilt.

He said he had cousins who were members of the Maute group, one of which had been killed, and his decision to declare martial law on Mindanao was justified, because he was aware of exactly what the extremists would do.

"I know the deployment of snipers and where they hid their firearms. I already had the complete picture and I knew that would be a long fight," he said in a speech.

Duterte said he understood why Muslim separatists had fought the government, but could not comprehend Islamic State's radical doctrine.

"What's painful for me, a fractured ideology entered. All that they want is to kill and destroy, how can we live with that?" he said.

Official figures show 70 servicemen, 27 civilians and 290 militants have since been killed and 246,000 people displaced.

Duterte said seeing Marawi bombed was too much to bear.

"Do not think I am enjoying my life now," he said. "I do not watch TV anymore, I turn it off or I transfer to cartoons."

This has gone under the radar for a few weeks but it's really a war zone out there now.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Duterte said seeing Marawi bombed was too much to bear.

"Do not think I am enjoying my life now," he said. "I do not watch TV anymore, I turn it off or I transfer to cartoons."
Yes, that's exactly what the leader of a country is supposed to do. Look away from the things that you can do something about, and watch cartoons instead.

This guy is such a piece of shit.

So, the situation in Marawi is a tragic mess, but this line:

All that they want is to kill and destroy, how can we live with that?

Made me gape...like, are you fucking serious right now, Mr. Death Squad?

Fuchsdh

So, the situation in Marawi is a tragic mess, but this line:

Made me gape...like, are you fucking serious right now, Mr. Death Squad?

It's different when he supports extrajudicial killings!

Yeah, this hasn't really gotten much airplay beyond "yeah the Philippines are even more fucked than you realized". Rebel groups against the current power are basically the entire recent history of the islands though.

Top Bottom