• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

No way palace 3 was awful, the actual dungeon just went on and on and on, and you barely interact with
kaneshiro, which made me feel nothing for him as the antagonist. Especially when the only reason anyone gets into trouble in that arc is because Ryuji , Ann, and Makoto are all too stupid to live and just make a series of brain dead decisions that lead to a confrontation

I'm ranking them from a gameplay perspective.

From a story perspective I'd say 4 or 6 is the best.

1 is great, but it's relatively basic and straightforward. That's not bad, it's just not as interesting as most of the later ones to me.

I think negotiations are a much better system than shuffle time. They make encountering new enemies a lot more exciting as it's an opportunity to get a new persona. Additionally it adds an extra layer of strategy where you can get out of an encounter in more ways than running or killing the enemies.

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in the music for this game. Very few tracks stick out. I can remember enjoying the track from Palace 4 but I can't recall the tune at all. The rest of the Palaces have been ass. While I can appreciate some Engrish here and there
it ruined the Palace 6 track

Especially coming off SMT IV/A which were redonkulous. Pretty sure that wasn't Meguro though. If the final boss fight track isn't mind blowing I'm gonna give this one a D+

Taruranto

To be fair, I think that's the point. Cold Steel is all about happy feelings and loving school life. Persona 5's pretty much the opposite when it comes to school life, and P5's events are indicative of that, especially when we consider P4.

Yeeeeaah, but I still feel like it was a missed opportunity, especially because it's the first event with the "full" party.

I feel like the last two months in general cram too much plot and too little character moments.

RPGCrazied

So, can someone help me fuse some of the max confidant persona? Like Ryuji, can you get the necessary ones from the last area? Or did I mess up?

Hylian7

7th palace:
I just got the second letter from the pool guy. That scene made me think Morgana calls Ann "Lady Ann" because of that scene and he somehow had memories of the future. Is there actually going to be an explanation of why he calls her that?

Hylian7

how do i replenish SP? also, can i auto recover an unlimited amount of times outside of battle?
Auto recover uses SP healing spells. It works as long as you have the SP for it.

There are few SP items, however if you do the Death confidant, there are some accessories to get that can really help with the SP problem.

Auto recover uses SP healing spells. It works as long as you have the SP for it.

There are few SP items, however if you do the Death confidant, there are some accessories to get that can really help with the SP problem.

otherwise there's NO way to replenish SP??

i liked other games where if you get to a new level, your stats automatically are 100%

SoulUnison

Banned
[MINOR PALACE 7 SPOILERS]
[VERY MINOR PERSONA 4 SPOILERS]

Shido's little "eye on the planet" logo is giving me "mysterious purple eye" vibes.
I'm sure it's just a coincidence, though.

EDIT: UGH. Restart almost the entire Palace because an enemy group got a string of criticals off and ganged up exclusively on Joker. Fun. I'm done for today.

Pachinko

Bought an actual Persona 4 vita cart today at the behest of many comments that I should check it out too. I'm still sitting in early August for now in P5.

It seems odd to me that there's this small backlash towards 5 forming but I'm not sure what the hate is about so far , I love the game - graphics , music , world , characters. That 5th palace would have to be some of the worst anything ever to really tarnish this for me right now but then I haven't ~really~ been into the series before.

Endgame, new game plus spoilers.

Just beat the twins.

Sure is giving me a lot of stuff I don't need. :p

I'm still trying to decide if I want to get the ultimate weapons. I guess I might as well, I still have to finish the compendium.

I will have to do a third run regardless if I'm going for the Platinum. I forgot all about the Read All the Books trophy.

Dugna

7th palace:
I just got the second letter from the pool guy. That scene made me think Morgana calls Ann "Lady Ann" because of that scene and he somehow had memories of the future. Is there actually going to be an explanation of why he calls her that?

7th palace spoilers sorta
Morgana has Zoro as his persona, him saying Lady Ann is just part of his personality. chivalrous thief and all that.

finally finished my NG+ on hard, still finishing my compendium, but overall....this game is a joke in terms of difficulty compared to P3 and 4 only thing harder is the secret boss and not because they hit hard.

Bought an actual Persona 4 vita cart today at the behest of many comments that I should check it out too. I'm still sitting in early August for now in P5.

It seems odd to me that there's this small backlash towards 5 forming but I'm not sure what the hate is about so far , I love the game - graphics , music , world , characters. That 5th palace would have to be some of the worst anything ever to really tarnish this for me right now but then I haven't ~really~ been into the series before.

I think a lot of the "backlash" comes from how good the series is in general and how good this installment is. Small issues get brought up because they stand out in contrast to the areas where the game excels.

RDreamer

Jesus some of the dialogue here is so ridiculously bad. Right now there are two people literally telling each other what they did with each other as though they didn't know. Seriously, guys, you can write better than this...

Post Palace 6:
I'm talking about Akechi and Shido's conversation with each other. None of this is realistic at all. They're just telling the player in plain speech what they did and it's horrendous.

Guess Who

Banned
Jesus some of the dialogue here is so ridiculously bad. Right now there are two people literally telling each other what they did with each other as though they didn't know. Seriously, guys, you can write better than this...

Post Palace 6:
I'm talking about Akechi and Shido's conversation with each other. None of this is realistic at all. They're just telling the player in plain speech what they did and it's horrendous.

tbh I think everyone who's seen that scene knew exactly which one you were talking about even before you edited the post to be specific

LotusHD

Banned
My favorite Palace/story combo in the game.

This was the pinnacle of the game for me, kinda went downhill from there

Post Palace 6:

Yep...

Post Palace 6:

It's the worst scene of the entire game.

I would have rather found an item called "evil secret diary" or something than that scene. What were they thinking?

We all have different frames of reference. There being different opinions floating around when the release is still so close and people are playing the game for the first time isn't backlash. Backlash would be saying the game is great and coming back in a few months time and then saying it sucked.

RDreamer

It's the worst scene of the entire game.

I would have rather found an item called "evil secret diary" or something than that scene. What were they thinking?

The crazy part is that
Futaba wiretapped his fucking phone. Play some dialogue from that and have them in different scenes based on that to piece it together.

Opa-Pa

Post Palace 6:

That portion of the game is incredible in how bad the writing is. Then you even have
Akechi awkwardly start thinking of his tragic past he has barely mentioned before while staring at a crowd of people lmao,
it was all so rushed.

RPGCrazied

So, can someone help me fuse some of the max confidant persona? Like Ryuji, can you get the necessary ones from the last area? Or did I mess up?

Anyone? They really should give you these when you hit max, so stupid you have to hunt these high level persona's I have no clue how to obtain.

Dugna

I think some peoples problems with the game is that while its written better as a overall story it changes how it was written compared to past games, in that unlike the other persona games the overall story took precedent over the cast.....like most people couldn't care less about an end of the world situation story anymore because of how trope it is...but with P3/4 they had the characters surrounding it that made that event more meaningful.

Like how in P3 when END SPOILERS
P3 protag sacrifices himself for the world
you care more about that event because of why it happens and the characters surrounding it...or like with P4 where the murders affected each character which kept them directly tied to the overall story, so the characters development meant that it was an overall story development also.

With P5 you get what they aimmed for which is small stories that eventually tie together but not directly. Ryuji/Ann have no reason to care overall about reforming society beyond "Phantom thieves" where Yosuke/Chie for example have more reason to care the ongoing murders.

Personally I think the game just needs more Personal time with characters for a persona game.

When was that? I don't recall that being the case in 4 although you did get access to the fox to aid in exploration.

i didn't mean persona; this my first persona game, there was a digimon game that came out last year similar to this game, and i'm pretty sure when you hit new levels your hp/mp got replenished.

anyways, this game is confusing me...i'm still stuck at this palace with bars and shit i don't know how the fuck i'm supposed to steal the heart!

P4G is special enjoy it! Avoid the anime until you finish the game. The anime is cool cause you get to hear the MC speak and the personality he has. I wish they do it for 5 cause the MC seems a bit of a smart ass going off dialog choices.

ckohler

This is gonna sound strange, but I tried to start a new game plus today after finishing the game yesterday, and I don't think I can do it. At least not for a while.

It just feels like my first experience with the game and story and characters was so amazing and such a unique experience that in some weird way I feel like I'm retroactively tarnishing it by jumping back to the start so quickly. Like I don't want to play in a world where all these characters don't know one another.

Feels weird, man.

I had a similar feeling after P4G ended. I was teary eyed as the credits rolled but I also did not want to replay it. I would prefer to cherish the memories rather than relive them.

I'm eager to see if P5 instills the same feelings in me once I finish it.

This is gonna sound strange, but I tried to start a new game plus today after finishing the game yesterday, and I don't think I can do it. At least not for a while.

It just feels like my first experience with the game and story and characters was so amazing and such a unique experience that in some weird way I feel like I'm retroactively tarnishing it by jumping back to the start so quickly. Like I don't want to play in a world where all these characters don't know one another.

Feels weird, man.

I'll probably do a NG+ in the summer. Let it rest for awhile

Opa-Pa

Wonder if I can do it this late, thanks for the link.

You can turn any persona into any other as long as you have money. Like for example you could have only Arsene and your compendium, and by doing the right combinations you could turn him into any persona you want with just a couple of fusions.

So yeah technically you're not late or anything. You can make the necessary personas for the special fusions with either just your compendium, the ones you can capture in the last area, or both.

PK Gaming

I think some peoples problems with the game is that while its written better as a overall story it changes how it was written compared to past games, in that unlike the other persona games the overall story took precedent over the cast.....like most people couldn't care less about an end of the world situation story anymore because of how trope it is...but with P3/4 they had the characters surrounding it that made that event more meaningful.

Like how in P3 when END SPOILERS
P3 protag sacrifices himself for the world
you care more about that event because of why it happens and the characters surrounding it...or like with P4 where the murders affected each character which kept them directly tied to the overall story, so the characters development meant that it was an overall story development also.

With P5 you get what they aimmed for which is small stories that eventually tie together but not directly. Ryuji/Ann have no reason to care overall about reforming society beyond "Phantom thieves" where Yosuke/Chie for example have more reason to care the ongoing murders.

P4 spoilers

There are 2 murder victims in Persona 4. Mayumi and Saki. The only member of the Investigation Team who has a direct tie to murders is Yosuke (A character who is also driven by his boredom and dissatisfaction with life.) None of the other characters were particularly affected by the murders, and none of their desires to stop them are specific in nature. It's entirely about stopping the bad guy, and extrinsic in nature.

In P5, group's reasons for reforming society stem from getting adults who wrong others as a result of their own experiences. These are clear cut motivations that are reiterated constantly, with specific variances depending on the character. It also gets examined later on (October spoilers)
when the group realizes they've slowly lost sight of their original goal.
I can't say I understand what you're getting at it.

Personally I think the game just needs more Personal time with characters for a persona game.

You spend more time with the P5 cast because the game is incredibly dense with story scenes.

zeniselv

Post Palace 6:

that's certainly the worst part, it felt like I was watching a theater play, from that point onward is where I personally think the game lost a bit of luster.

Welp, I think I just screwed myself with the guide I'm using. I had no idea there were two different kind of plant nutrients (where do I buy Organic ones and not the Bio Nutrients?) and now I'm behind on Kindness and can't do any of the Hermit confidant.

fml.

I guess I'll just skip it and work at the flower shop in the underground mall.

Dugna

P4 spoilers

There are 2 murder victims in Persona 4. Mayumi and Saki. The only member of the Investigation Team who has a direct tie to murders is Yosuke (A character who is also driven by his boredom and dissatisfaction with life.) None of the other characters were particularly affected by the murders, and none of their desires to stop them are specific in nature. It's entirely about stopping the bad guy, and extrinsic in nature.

In P5, their reasons for reforming society stem from getting adults who wrong others as a result of their own experiences. These are clear cut motivations that are reiterated constantly, with specific variances depending on the character. It also gets examined later on (October spoilers)
when the group realizes they've slowly lost sight of their original goal.

Except that for the entirety of the game unlike P4, the cast of P5 either doubts why they're doing what they're doing or just doesn't care at all, example being palace 4.
While yes they get to know futaba and that becomes important later, they were very willing to just ignore somebody asking to get help, even when they help people constantly in mementos.
in P4 every single character is tied to the murders because the murders are done through the midnight channel which leads them all together, they both gain character time through this process and push the overall story forward. Unlike with P5 where if they missed even one of the palaces in terms of overall story is just wouldn't matter, example again palace 4.

Also no you don't spend more time with the characters, you spend more time with the phantom thieves as a group, again P5 needs more personal time with characters or little quirks. Hell you meet outside confidants more in the world doing stuff then you do ever meet the other phantom thieves.

RPGCrazied

You can turn any persona into any other as long as you have money. Like for example you could have only Arsene and your compendium, and by doing the right combinations you could turn him into any persona you want with just a couple of fusions.

So yeah technically you're not late or anything. You can make the necessary personas for the special fusions with either just your compendium, the ones you can capture in the last area, or both.

Yeah, but I never registered persona's, so that will hurt, yes?

Opa-Pa

Yeah, but I never registered persona's, so that will hurt, yes?

Nope! Manual registration is only for overwriting the first data of a persona with the current one (IE to register one with higher level and more skills). Personas are automatically registered once you capture them or fuse them, so it's impossible to not have them in your compendium.

PK Gaming

Except that for the entirety of the game unlike P4, the cast of P5 either doubts why they're doing what they're doing or just doesn't care at all, example being palace 4.
While yes they get to know futaba and that becomes important later, they were very willing to just ignore somebody asking to get help, even when they help people constantly in mementos.
in P4 every single character is tied to the murders because the murders are done through the midnight channel which leads them all together, they both gain character time through this process and push the overall story forward. Unlike with P5 where if they missed even one of the palaces in terms of overall story is just wouldn't matter, example again palace 4.

That's a good thing. The P5 cast has a level dynamism that P4 never had, and it's far more natural as well.

Post Palace 6:

lmao I got that scene last night. Didn't help that I needed to take a leak. I was thinking I'd just knock it out and go afterwards.
I don't think it was possible for them to use more words for what they were describing. Holy shit!

That whole stretch was unbelievably verbose. Just poor

What's giving you the most trouble? Is it the boss, managing hp and sp, or something else?
-i can't find the boss, or the 'heart', i thought that's what i was looking for
-and yes, managing hp and sp is becoming frustrating and difficult

in previous games similar to this, dungeon crawilers with a leveling system, i was used to my characters getting their stats replenished when leveling up, and their sp being returned when guarding. neither seems to be the case for persona,

and i'm gonna need a lot, a lot, a lot of items if that's the only that can replenish me.

also yeah, maybe at this time i'm not prepared for the boss? everything is happening so fast and i've been playing most of this on remote play on old hardware which makes the gameplay even more difficult

Top Bottom