• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris |OT| From Russia With Blob

fgPDDA7.png

Systems: PS4 (physical only), Switch (physical, digital)
Release Date: April 25 (NA), April 27-28 (EU), May 12 (AUS)
Review Thread

Try before you buy with the demo on the Switch eShop!

The PS4 and digital Switch versions are $30, while the physical Switch edition costs $40 but comes with keychains (in America). If you live in PAL land, the pricing is kind of inconsistent.
ylxlP1Fm.jpg

vIyNu8U.png

Click on each of the thumbnails for a video!

vJ1YbMt.png

Adventure
A story? In... Tetris? Go on an adventure spanning 10 chapters with fully voiced cutscenes while clearing all sorts of gameplay challenges!
PQbvcEml.jpg

Lesson
Learn how to play with gameplay demonstrations!

Solo Arcade and Multiplayer Arcade
Play with up to four players & CPU and make enemies out of friends! (Disclaimer: the AI is incapable of feeling love.) See the Rules section for all the different rules you can play with.

Challenge yourself in ranked battles against other players worldwide in Puzzle League, enjoy casual matches with up to 4 players in Free Play, and watch and upload replays!

EbDCfg4.png

”I thought I was good at Tetris, but not anymore..."
”What even is Puyo?! Is this some Mean Bean Machine shit"

If this sounds like you, even despite absorbing the tutorials in Lesson mode, here's some other guides and resources to get you started.

Puyo Puyo
Developing a ”chain sense" (video)
How to play Puyo Puyo
Advanced Tutorials (video)

Tetris
Hard Drop Wiki
- Finesse
- T-Spins
Advanced Tutorials (video)

KCriax6.png

Yes, you can still play classic endless Tetris and one-on-one Tetris.
That's not even a question, but you should totally check out Puyo and all the other game modes as well!

Is there colorblind support for Puyo?
The ”metallic" skin uses a more colorblind friendly palette, and the ”alphabet" skin transforms all the puyos into letters.

Is there cross-play between PS4 and Switch? What about region free online?
No cross-play across different platforms, but you can play against the entire world without issue.

Are there any differences between the characters?
They have different items and dropsets in Party and Fusion mode, and their CPU AI behaves differently.

Is there Japanese dual-audio?
English dub only.

I heard you couldn't stream or upload videos of the game...
That only applies to Adventure mode content in the Japanese version; the English version has no restrictions. If you want to be nice though, put the following on your videos somewhere:
©SEGA Tetris ®&© 1985~2017 Tetris Holding.

Why isn't there a digital PS4 version?
Blame The Tetris Company and their weird licensing rules.

VAB537a.png

Announcement Trailer
Game Modes Trailer
Back to Basics Trailer
JP Pro-level Promo Video

Big Bang Spin Guide

mchaosg made like all the graphics for the OT

bigkrev

Is there Japanese dual-audio?
English dub only.

FUCK

Might just stick with my imported Vita version instead of double dipping. Could not STAND the voices in the demo on Switch, and I'm really not excited to pay $40 for a Physical copy.

El Odio

Banned
My roommates and I absolutely cannot wait until Tuesday for this to
hard
drop. Probably more hyped for this than I was for BotW.

AmyS

The original Tetris was from Russia With Love, also!

Electronic Gaming Monthly issue #2 July 1989:

SG0Z7IQ.jpg

rFFupqR.jpg

dvolovets

The original Tetris was from Russia With Love, also!

Electronic Gaming Monthly issue #2 July 1989:

As a native Russian speaker, wow that first sentence is embarrassing. "Droogies"? What did they use to double-check their spelling, a copy of A Clockwork Orange? Oy vey.

On topic: very excited about this game, had it pre-ordered for a while now. :)

Sciz

Puyo finally escapes Japan with the help of Tetris; war between the two immediately breaks out.

The demo has already consumed me.

AmyS

As a native Russian speaker, wow that first sentence is embarrassing. "Droogies"? What did they use to double-check their spelling, a copy of A Clockwork Orange? Oy vey.

Honestly, I don't know, but game magazines from the late 80s in the U.S. were done by 20 somethings using fist or second generation Macs on a small budget.

There was actually even more coverage of Tetris in EGM #1 a month earlier, May 1989.

Edit:

Video Games & Computer Entertainment magazine always had much more mature writing, as you can probably see here in their article 'Gaming and Glasnost" centered on Tetris from May 1990.

tOrNC4Y.jpg

3Q4fUBw.jpg

ZeroX03

Banned
Think I might switch my region to US and grab that digital version. I think the local digital copy is more expensive than physical (and doesn't come out until May), and both are more expensive than MK8 physically due to some weirdness.

Einhandr

You can do teams

Awesome, this was a deal breaker to a friend of mine as he doesn't like playing against his friends but he really liked the idea of us being able to play on a team. How are they assigned, by the whether you choose Tetris/Puyo or just by choosing a team to be on before matches start?

Aside from not having dual audio this is really solid. I'm getting it as soon as I'm not spending so much in a single month (Mario Kart is going to be rough...)

My wife's favourite game is Puyo Puyo and my favourite game is Tetris. When this game got announced we thought it was the most romantic thing ever.

(and then we just had to wait years for the NA release lol)

Luigi87

Nice OT

Really looking forward to this!
Ironically even though I usually always play with English dubs, I was really hoping for the JP dub for this game. The game is ridiculously priced on the JP eShop though, so I suppose I'll bite the bullet and just get the English.

Seik

Banned
This along with MK8D and the new Bomberman patch will make me play online more than I've played in a good while.

Can't wait to jump back into a Puyo game, my last one was Fever on Gamecube.

MrPanic

Bleh, having to cough up 40 bucks without keychains and having to wait another couple of days over here in EU still hurts. Still looking forward to it though.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm unbelievably excited for this game to be released. I've been wanting to play it since it came out in Japan, and am so glad that I held off until now, because now I get to enjoy it with friends and GAF :D the demo is easily my most played game on the Switch after Zelda, can't believe how much mileage I got out of it.

As someone who poured way more than 100 hours into Tetris DS which is IMO one of the finest puzzle games ever made, I hope to find that same sort of addiction here.

Props for the God tier OT title btw.

Top Bottom