• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present

MrT-Tar

Even though everybody knows the Wii was a software beast, those numbers still surprise me every time. Over 35m for Mario Kart Wii is insane.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Gunpei quit over how bad the VB sold, who's going to leave over the Wii U?
Please do tell the details of Gunpei's departure from nintendo. Since you're apparently in the know.

MrT-Tar

Also, I never knew that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance sold quite so well (over 1m outside of Japan). Given this and how Fire Emblem: Awakening has sold almost 1.5m, how come we haven't got a FFT game on the 3DS? Did FFTA2 really underperform?

Also, I never knew that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance sold quite so well (over 1m outside of Japan). Given this and how Fire Emblem: Awakening has sold almost 1.5m, how come we haven't got a FFT game on the 3DS? Did FFTA2 really underperform?

I think FFTA2 did around 600k. So yes.

Interesting, despite the fact that 3DS might never pass GBA on units sold it will undoubtedly pass it in Nintendo published million seller units sold.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I thought people only bought a Wii for Wii Sports and didn't buy any other software

Yeah, this was what we was led to believe - even though all anactodal and sales evidence pointed against it. Makes me feel pretty certain there would actually have been a big market for higher quality thirdparty games if they had only tried to put in some effort. Could have also avoided all the closures of the last few years if they had put more support to where the market actually was.

I didn't like Yoshi's Story, but I will buy Woolly World.
I'm glad my threats are working.

Joking aside, I always felt that the style in Epic Yarn should've been used for a Yoshi game as soon as it was released. I'm so glad Nintendo is making it. The game looks charming.

When does Nintendo update their Top Sellers list on their website? April, right? I'm pretty interested to see how 3DS and Wii U software numbers have come since the last update, since this is from that same time.

Josh7289

They go directly from their best generation ever into their current worst generation ever (in terms of sales). As Hiroshi Yamauchi said, "In our business, if you succeed it's like you've gone to heaven, but failure is like falling to hell."

There is hardly any middle ground in the entertainment industry.

100MS

Neo Member
YHGZsJW.png

8Zb0IxS.png

From the charts you can tell that Wii and DS Gen was the exception in the Nintendo hardware shipments decreasing over time

ferr

Seriously, those Wii software sales. Then Nintendo goes on vacation for their next console, much deserved. Here's to their next console which will be VR and based on a CPU that makes Cell look like child's play.

Forkball

Wii/DS era was absolutely nuts in terms of software sales. It's crazy how much sales have dropped off, despite many 3DS/Wii U games being better than their past gen counterparts.

Ridley327

*activates picnic mode*

...Donkey Kong Jungle Beat!? where are you??

It was a Gamecube title from 2005 that required a peripheral and wasn't a party game. I'm sure it didn't do as bad as Odama, but some miracles just aren't happening.

No Resident Evil 4 for GC even on the chart?

Used copies used to go for such a high price. I have to imagine it was a small print here. Even really low quality boxes without manuals would go for £30/$45
never mind

Pretty sure this is just games published by Nintendo.

Edit: The drop in software variety that Nintendo published on N64 vs Gamecube is all you really need to explain the drop-off in performance in North America.

The US loved the N64 to dear bits.
Yeah, I remember NPD charts from back then. N64 software used to dominate even though the system was never purchased in the numbers that PS1 did. I remember a stretch where GoldenEye 007 had a very long streak of being #1 - #3 on the software sales charts.

Frodo

Oh wow. Software-wise, SNES was kind of disappointing.

And that Wii/DS combo will probably never happen again. What a generation that was...

ascii42

It's easy to forget how much smaller gaming used to be. The Playstation really did bring in a much bigger audience for games, and despite the early success with Tetris, handheld gaming didn't really blossom into such a massive thing until Nintendo released Pokémon in 1998, which was nearly 10 years after the Game Boy released.

Also, holy crap, did the Game Boy have an insane lifespan.

Yeah, even taking into consideration that this lumps the GBC in with the original, it still had a long lifespan.

keakster

Always nice to have a reminder of how Nintendo crushed last gen, (Mario Kart Wii 35mil!) brings back fond memories of itprintsmoney.gif

Zalman

Oh wow. Software-wise, SNES was kind of disappointing.

And that Wii/DS combo will probably never happen again. What a generation that was...
They just had the right products at the right time. Dedicated gaming handhelds as we currently know them will never sell that much again. They're going to need some very drastic changes. The home console space is still going strong though.

Memory

YHGZsJW.png

8Zb0IxS.png

From the charts you can tell that Wii and DS Gen was the exception in the Nintendo hardware shipments decreasing over time

I think every rational person accepts this although i do still dome gaffers saying otherwise. However software wise the picture is alot different, according to the somewhat incomplete data avalible to us on the net atleast (Im talking Nintendo&3rd party sales.)

Am I reading this right that every Metroid game outside of Other M and Trilogy has sold over a million copies? I'm surprised they are so fickle about that franchise. Mid level budget could probably make them a profit on those games.

Yeah, even taking into consideration that this lumps the GBC in with the original, it still had a long lifespan.

To be fair, a lot of people bought Game Boy Colors for Pokemon because they came out around the same time in the west, so Game Boy Colors being lumped into regular Game Boy sales doesn't really change too much on the life of the Game Boy.

maxcriden

Am I reading this right that every Metroid game outside of Other M and Trilogy has sold over a million copies? I'm surprised they are so fickle about that franchise. Mid level budget could probably make them a profit on those games.

I think the issue at this point is how to make Metroid more popular. Those are good sales, but as you can see Other M at least must've been a disappointment. I think the console Metroids from Prime forward look like some of Nintendo's more high budget games relatively speaking, so I think they want to make sure they're focusing their big teams on games that will sell well, and when DKCR did as well as it did for Retro and when Tomodachi was such a hit for Sakamoto's team, they probably were a bit less eager to jump right back into Metroid. It seems like the franchise is in a bit of refresh and cool off mode, though, and we know they have plans to bring it back sometime soon.

sörine

Banned
YHGZsJW.png

8Zb0IxS.png

Handheld chart is a bit deceptive if read like this as it doesn't follow usual generational patterns or even hardware cycles. The original GB only did about ~70m in a bit over a decade while GBC did ~50m in about 4 years. You could also probably split DS and DSi into semi distinct systems and the chart would look a lot different.

Verendus

Banned
With the way people talk about traditional Nintendo IPs, I thought everything sold above ten million. After all, they're the only ones who can support an entire console by themselves. I'm legit shook here that things like Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, Starfox sell about as well as Killzone or Resistance. I wonder if Reggie or Iwata cry at night when they look at the Wii numbers, then think about how massively they misunderstood where the market was heading. Maybe they don't have a smartphone either.

I think the issue at this point is how to make Metroid more popular. Those are good sales, but as you can see Other M at least must've been a disappointment. I think the console Metroids from Prime forward look like some of Nintendo's more high budget games relatively speaking, so I think they want to make sure they're focusing their big teams on games that will sell well, and when DKCR did as well as it did for Retro and when Tomodachi was such a hit for Sakamoto's team, they probably were a bit less eager to jump right back into Metroid. It seems like the franchise is in a bit of refresh and cool off mode, though, and we know they have plans to bring it back sometime soon.

Yeah. It's sad too, the franchise to me feels like it has the potential to be a 5 million + seller per entry, but they just haven't found the way to do so. Maybe after they get far away from Other M they can see some new success for the series. Some experimental spin-offs would be nice though.

omonimo

Banned
With the way people talk about traditional Nintendo IPs, I thought everything sold above ten million. After all, they're the only ones who can support an entire console by themselves. I'm legit shook here that things like Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, Starfox sell about as well as Killzone or Resistance.
Killzone and Resistance sell well?

With the way people talk about traditional Nintendo IPs, I thought everything sold above ten million. After all, they're the only ones who can support an entire console by themselves. I'm legit shook here that things like Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, Starfox sell about as well as Killzone or Resistance. I wonder if Reggie or Iwata cry at night when they look at the Wii numbers, then think about how massively they misunderstood where the market was heading. Maybe they don't have a smartphone either.

Compare budgets though.

Flappy

Banned
That's a miracle if this company it's survived to the Wiiu disaster. A miracle.

Erm. The Wii and DS were MASSIVE sellers...... How is it a miracle they survived? Am I missing something here or are some people so full of hate for Nintendo that they just make shit up?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
That's a miracle if this company it's survived to the Wiiu disaster. A miracle. Never though GC could beaten it.

What these charts don't show you is HOW MUCH $$$$$$$$ this company makes and how much it has in its war chest.

This company doesn't need to "sell well" to make mad profit off the things it sells. Consider how much money Nintendo is making RIGHT NOW on Amiibo sells.

This company is doing FINE.

wiibomb

sörine;145717747 said:
Handheld chart is a bit deceptive if read like this as it doesn't follow usual generational patterns or even hardware cycles. The original GB only did about ~70m in a bit over a decade while GBC did ~50m in about 4 years. You could also probably split DS and DSi into semi distinct systems and the chart would look a lot different.

its very true for GB and GBC (I still don't get why Nintendo take them as one generation), but on the DS and DSi its not the case since all the DSi Games were just enhancements from the DS and the latter can play them all, the DSi is just a minor change from the DS, while the 3DS is a true generationla leap, for example..

the same goes when the New 3DS sales start, they should be counted as one since they are in the same hardware level

Top Bottom