• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Ascheroth

I'm assuming Bones aren't stupid, aren't restrained by exec decisions, don't plan to stretch or mispace anything, and have the season planned out. Which, given that they had episode 20 ready in January, they probably do.

If we assume episode 1 being so recap heavy was a side-effect of S1's unpopular reception in Japan and the move to a new timeslot, episode 2 and 3 covering relatively little follows from that, given how dialogue heavy they are, and having a good episode 3 endpoint. Given that the following chapters are action-heavy instead, they can push chapter/episode count up, and hopefully they do. Same logic applies to the Stain, End of Term, and Forest Lodge arcs. They have a lot of action-heavy quick chapters to take advantage of.

Ending on Bakugou getting kidnapped is a terrible idea. Season 3 would begin at an awkward point, and you'd have to wait a long time to have enough chapters to adapt Season 3 anyway. It's the worst of both worlds.

...also I'm pretty sure you're a masochist, Poodlestrike, because "Bakugou is Sasuke 2.0!" is the opposite of hilarious :T
I doubt they'll up the episode/chapter ratio (which I still think is a silly way to gauge pacing).
I can see the cavalry battle as a 2 episode mini-arc with its 4 chapters. There actually is a lot of text, lots of possibilities to have some slick animation sequences and they could show off some other battles theorethically.
I dunno, I just can see it work.

But add me to the "I have no idea where it will end, but there's no way it's going to be AfO" club.

(Btw, out of curiosity, have watched the latest 2 episodes yet?)

I have been curious about how many people here share the sentiment that season 2 is too slow so far? And for you people what makes it slow pace? Because they are no flashback and no dragged out scenes. Everything is either 1:1 or expended character interation/action moments. Please don't tell me it's only because of the number of chapter adapted. Also, I'm talking about now and not what you think will happen in 10 episodes.

Ascheroth

I have been curious about how many people here share the sentiment that season 2 is too slow so far? And for you people what makes it slow pace? Because they are no flashback and no dragged out scenes. Everything is either 1:1 or expended character interation/action moments. Please don't tell me it's only because of the number of chapter adapted. Also, I'm talking about now and not what you think will happen in 10 episodes.
I think the last 2 episodes have been perfect. 1 was overkill with the season 1 re-cap leading into the discussion of the USJ incident which also felt re-cappy, but was good starting from the second half, and I can see why they wanted to only adapt 1 chapter there given the last 2 episodes.

Season 1 was defintely too slow at points, especially with the flash-back overuse, but that hasn't happened here yet.

Btw, I hope we'll some A-class teaming up with B-class action in the manga at some point. Them showing up in this episode made me realize again how much I'd want to see that : (

cntr

Banned
I doubt they'll up the episode/chapter ratio (which I still think is a silly way to gauge pacing).
It's a good estimate. And better than going "Oh, everything is going to be okay" when there's legitimate things to worry about. See below.

(Btw, out of curiosity, have watched the latest 2 episodes yet?)
I'm still waiting a bit to know where the overall pacing is going. If it turns out well, I'll watch and enjoy the episodes worry-free. (If it turns out bad...I dunno what I'll do.)

The issue is that the Sports Festival is the only arc where added material works. The other arcs can't be expanded as easily. But if they make the Sports Festival too long, there just wouldn't be enough episodes to cover the other arcs properly.

So even if the Festival has well-paced individual episodes, its overall pacing and length affects the following arcs, and cause their individual and overall pacing to suffer. It'd be a questionable (and dumb) decision for Bones to take.

I've explained this several times, I think it's a legitimate worry, and it's really frustrating that you guys dismiss it immediately. Like, c'mon.

It's a good estimate. And better than going "Oh, everything is going to be okay" when there's legitimate things to worry about. See below.

I'm still waiting a bit to know where the overall pacing is going. If it turns out well, I'll watch and enjoy the episodes worry-free. (If it turns out bad...I dunno what I'll do.)

The issue is that the Sports Festival is the only arc where added material works. The other arcs can't be expanded as easily. But if they make the Sports Festival too long, there just wouldn't be enough episodes to cover the other arcs properly.

So even if the Festival has well-paced individual episodes, its overall pacing and length affects the following arcs, and cause their individual and overall pacing to suffer. It'd be a questionable (and dumb) decision for Bones to take.

I've explained this several times, I think it's a legitimate worry, and it's really frustrating that you guys dismiss it immediately. Like, c'mon.
I'm not dismissing your worries for future episodes. So stop thinking that. I'm asking about right now. Why are people calling it slow now. I see (more rarely now)the it's slow now but whatever comment so often with no explanation. Put you at the place of an anime only viewer. Does the pacing is bad for them? Because right now I see absolutely no reason for calling it slow.

"He's definitely going to become a villain, isn't he. What a Naruto rip-off, Bakugou just became another Sasuke."

We did it too and it was just as hilarious then.

It also made the moment where he spits in their eye, calls them a bunch of losers, and blasts his way free that much more awesome. Besides, it works out well pacing wise. If they finish up Kamino Ward by the end of S2, we'll be waiting forever for S3.

caliph95

It also made the moment where he spits in their eye, calls them a bunch of losers, and blasts his way free that much more awesome. Besides, it works out well pacing wise. If they finish up Kamino Ward by the end of S2, we'll be waiting forever for S3.
People kept saying that even when Bakugou is different than Sasuke besides being the the rival and always stating how he wants to be a hero. Even if it was for the wrong reasons

All hail our Salty Overlord:

tumblr_oogdev4Ta81r1xh16o3_540.png

cntr

Banned
I'm not dismissing your worries for future episodes. So stop thinking that. I'm asking about right now. Why are people calling it slow now. I see (more rarely now)the it's slow now but whatever comment so often with no explanation. Put you at the place of an anime only viewer. Does the pacing is bad for them? Because right now I see absolutely no reason for calling it slow.
Alright. Episode 2 and 3 are fine as their own things. I'm pretty sure people mean the overall pacing when they call it slow.

Also, given Season 1 and Episode 1, people are already inclined to think of Season 2 as slow. It'll take a dramatic change in pacing for that to break.

I think you guys are forgetting how short the arcs actually are, pff. Kamino Ward is really short, so we'd have to wait forever anyway. Do you really want to spend the rest of the year and most of the next hearing about Bakugou being Sasuke 2.0?

It'd be an awkward season opener too.

Chase17

Sasuke, a true hero, is much better than Bakugou. Early Bakugou is telling Deku to commit suicide. Meanwhile early Sasuke is sticking up to those bullying Naruto.

I'm slightly joking. Bakugou is one of my favorite characters in this series. Still the telling Deku to commit suicide thing is not a good look at all.

cntr

Banned
I fully expect Kirishima to find out what happened and to convince Bakugou to apologize.

(I also fully expect Ochako to find out what happened and to murder Bakugou with a baseball bat.)

cntr

Banned
I like Bakugou as a character because he's a arrogant asshole prodigy, who fell apart when he started failing, exactly like how it is in real life. And he has to grow up and get over it. I'm sure a lot of Japanese kids can relate, heh.

...wouldn't go out for drinks with him, though. Terrible dude.

Bakugou is still slowly transforming into a better person. I'm sure that part of his arc will be going back and apologizing for all the super fucked up shit he's done, but he's not there yet.

Lunar15

I like Bakugou as a character because he's a arrogant asshole prodigy, who fell apart when he started failing, exactly like how it is in real life. And he has to grow up and get over it. I'm sure a lot of Japanese kids can relate, heh.

...wouldn't go out for drinks with him, though. Terrible dude.

Yep, in a weird way it felt like a great subversion of the arrogant asshole prodigy rival trope. Rather than this kid just being lifted up through society, Bakugou started getting dunked on from day one as everyone realized he was incredibly insecure.

The genius has been in the author's ability to continually use that insecurity to make us wonder about Bakugou's intentions but also turn them on their head with moments like his recent fight with Deku. It's been a satisfying arc for him.

WarRock

Horikoshi is a fucking beast, holy shit. Some of the lines and onomatopoeia in the last 3 chapters are so good.

The fact that he used a moment when Deku is confused and distant from the rest to give us some side characters spotlight is good storytelling too. Kinda amazing how it feels like we are CONSTANTLY going towards climaxes with Hero Academia.

Yep, in a weird way it felt like a great subversion of the arrogant asshole prodigy rival trope. Rather than this kid just being lifted up through society, Bakugou started getting dunked on from day one as everyone realized he was incredibly insecure.

The genius has been in the author's ability to continually use that insecurity to make us wonder about Bakugou's intentions but also turn them on their head with moments like his recent fight with Deku. It's been a satisfying arc for him.

I wouldn't say he's been getting dunked on. Part of the interesting part of the portrayal is that he's very nearly as good as he thinks he is, it's just that the sudden realization that there were people on the same level (and that one of them was Deku) managed to fuck with his sense of self-worth anyway because he really was that insecure.

Jintor

that last chapter moved really fast. i'm not opposed but it'll be good to see it fleshed out in like 4 years when the anime reaches there

cntr

Banned
man, screw that dude in the Season 2 thread complaining about Deku being a "crybaby".

definitely going to shove a crow down his throat once Deku fights Todoroki

After intense analysis of the different volumes(yes I had too much time thid morning) and expecting a 2 chapter per episode. I think season 2 will end on chapter 70 with the conversation between inspector Tsukaushi and All Might, just after the Deku and Tomura encounter. Every 2 chapter ending from episode 4 and on also seemed perfect.
man, screw that dude in the Season 2 thread complaining about Deku being a "crybaby".

definitely going to shove a crow down his throat once Deku fights Todoroki
If your talking about trejo you better just ignore him. He posted like twice and it was only trash talking.

cntr

Banned
We'll probably get a better idea of Season 2's intended pacing in the next few episodes, we don't know enough from the first three episodes to be sure either way.

(that said, yeah, they'll probably end there. not an ideal ending point, and will make Season 3 pretty awkward, but yeah.)

I actually think it's a pretty good ending spot. It introduces the new villains that will be part of the next arc and it establish Tomura's character after the Stain incident. Assuminng they end mid-chapter (with the transition being good for that) the next page is the students preparing for the camp. If handled well I don't see any problem.

cntr

Banned
Eh. It just causes awkward issues overall. Don't want to get into that yet again.

...that said, thinking about it, I really doubt they're going for a consistent 2 chapter/episode count. Didn't episode 3 have a recap at the beginning? Seems more likely that it's a knock-on effect from the decision to make Episode 1 a recap than the pacing they intend to go for in every episode.

We'll just have to see.

You must be seeing possible issues I don't then. But yea we sill see.

Edit:The recap of episode 3 was so small that I don't think it was an effect of anything other the burning the extra 1-2 minutes for the 2 chapters to fit.

Ascheroth

So far every episode has the 25 second long pre-OP clip -> OP -> a 1-2 minute recap of the previous episode.
This is really nothing huge and if it means the episode itself is free of stalling or flashbacks, I'll gladly take that.
And I really doubt they'll speed things up at this point. 2 episodes is perfect for the cavalry battle (4 chapters), having the first episode cover 3 chapters would just be awkward.

Moaradin

2 chapters an episode really makes sense. Looking at the manga chapters, pretty much all of them end on a good cliffhanger moment. I don't think there will be any awkward pacing issues in this arc at least.

I dont think the anime is slow, actually I think thus far its paced well and at least gives some breathing room for many other characters to have moments, like Kaminari taking out one of the battlebots, or Ojiro and co being show to traverse the bots too. I wish more on how characters traversed the minefield were shown, or other classes (like Monoma or Shinsou, all we saw for Shinsou was him randomly being carried...)

caliph95

I dont think the anime is slow, actually I think thus far its paced well and at least gives some breathing room for many other characters to have moments, like Kaminari taking out one of the battlebots, or Ojiro and co being show to traverse the bots too. I wish more on how characters traversed the minefield were shown, or other classes (like Monoma or Shinsou, all we saw for Shinsou was him randomly being carried...)

They are limited by the manga and i don't think powers of the other classes were revealed until later. Also it would be cool to see a montage but i guess they don't want to waste more than en episode on it

cntr

Banned
2 episodes for the cavalry battle makes sense, but for the actual tournament and the arcs after? They'll probably vary it up.

Ascheroth

2 episodes for the cavalry battle makes sense, but for the actual tournament and the arcs after? They'll probably vary it up.
Yeah, I can see the tournament fights being faster.
But I can also see them expanding upon fights that were only shown briefly in the manga, so then it evens out again :p
On chapter 113. I'm a little sad I caught up so quickly.
Stil 20 chapters to go until weekly waiting hell begins~

cntr

Banned
Maybe, but it depends on what their overall plan is. And most of the fights were already expanded in the volume release, so.

20 chapters more and you get to wait a week every week for the next 10+ years for another chapter!

Yeah, I can see the tournament fights being faster.
But I can also see them expanding upon fights that were only shown briefly in the manga, so then it evens out again :p

Stil 20 chapters to go until weekly waiting hell begins~

Yeah, I'm used to it but some series are worse than others. I've followed Naruto since 2003!

I even used to fansub lol.

I'm not normally into the whole high school setting, but this series has been pretty good! I think the pace gets slow sometimes but as soon as it does, something happens and it quickens up.

I think they could probably end it with Bakugou getting kidnapped if they expand the forest training arc a little, which would be a welcome addition. It'd also probably produce a ton of hilarious reactions from the anime-only crowd, which would be a plus in my book.

That would be a great place to end it, if they already anticipate doing an s3 a season or two after that.

Plus its not like S1 didnt end on a cliffhanger or something awkward, s2, litrally started on the next day after the incident at the amusement park.

Wow....Kirishima is just the best! Horikoshi just nailed this part with him.
d74c38996b874b5186668a60c978687f.png

His smile is the best, his positivity is the best, he is cool and he looks great. Kirishima is the best.

The part where they all go together at the end was super funny. But man! I want to know Suneaters's status!

caliph95

DTL probably loved that Kirishima got hard by thinking of Bakugo

Also i hope Suneater is fine, he is my favourite out of the three probably because i relate to him the most

Chase17

The Kirishima focused chapters have been my favorite this arc.

I hope we get some moment where we see how Aizawa's quirk is more effective than the bullets or something. I guess the obvious case would be he could stop someone like Kirishima.

Suneater better be ok!

cntr

Banned
Aizawa's quirk is worse at length, but it's better against groups and it works against people who can block or dodge the darts.

(assuming the darts are temporary)

caliph95

Aizawa's quirk is worse at length, but it's better against groups and it works against people who can block or dodge the darts.

(assuming the darts are temporary)

His quirk is useless against mutations types like Tsu and Ojiro too i wonder what the darts do

Top Bottom