• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what to believe but I really hope we don't get 20 ports at launch. Also, please, a traditional controller without a touch screen.

bomblord1

Banned
So uh how powerful is the ps4k? Weren't some major outlets speculating it could just be an updated HDMI port with the extra 2 CU's unlocked? That would hardly blow something notably more powerful than the PS4 out of the water.

In fact the NX could blow that out of the water.

Definitely in on day 1 for the NX if I can use traditional controls (Wii U Pro Controller for Zelda NX, GameCube Controller compatibility with Smash 4 NX) on the system.

Otherwise, good to see that ports of popular games are coming out at launch. Nintendo needs some lasting games at launch, not another NSMB game (no offense).

jmizzal

Hope they'd at least announce Splatoon 2 near the systems launch.
I get the need for more time to develop a from the ground up sequel, but putting out a port without word of a new Game wouldn't do the series any good

I could see them announce Splatoon NX and then teaser Logo for Splatoon 2 NX

orochi91

I'm impressed Nintendo is cramming so much power into their new home console.

Didn't expect them to try and compete at that $399 price-tag.

Unless they're gonna take a hit and release this beast at ~$299.

Shauni

Feels a bit too much like a forum-goer wet dream, at least the specs, for it to be believable to me, but who knows.

Coffinhal

It has to be true.

NX is releasing ~3 years after the PS4 and XB1.

It should be noticeably more powerful.

There is no "should". They could release something as powerful or slightly more powerful than a 7th gen console if it makes sense for them (considerably cheaper console, easy ports with the handled and Wii U etc). They could also release a monster as powerful as a PC with a 980Ti because it is available today, but that wouldn't make sense in any console plan.

Galang

Banned
I figured they would have just went straight to a bigger budget Splatoon Sequel, but I suppose a port with all the DLC makes sense too. Smash and Mario Maker ports aren't surprising at all. I suppose this also gives them more breathing room to develop newer games in addition to ports with updated content.

orioto

Good Art™
Why is Nintendo always late to the party? PS4K and Xbone 2 are right around the corner.

I'll think of something positive there.

If NX is on par with PS4K.... Let's not forget games for PS4 will still, forever have to be developed with PS4 as main platform, and run well on it.

So games naively developed with NX power in mind, could still be more ambitious graphically. Now never forget guys, it's all about the artists and the skills and money of the dev.

We can say Nintendo won't have Naughty Dog production value for every games.
We can also say Retro may give Naughty Dog a good competition.

What i'm thinking about is.. the idea of a trailer of A Metroid game with graphics superior to anything on PS4 right now, with god art and tech... The fapping will be fierce.

Zebei

Doesn't matter how much power you the machine has if you don't have games to put in it. Ports sounds like a good start. It's all up the the 3rd parties and that launch lineup.

Please Nintendo, start strong and stay strong.

Neoxon

I will ask this again seeing as the other thread is closed. Do you think they will charge for online?
They better not. Nintendo's clearly not in a position where they can ask that of people, especially after the Wii U. Not to mention that a good chunk of their existing audience are children, whose parents wouldn't take kindly to paying a subscription fee for online.

Neiteio

And one other thing, THE SMASH 4 PORT BETTER SUPPORT THE GAMECUBE ADAPTER , OR ALLOW FOR SOME KIND OF WIRED CONTROLLER, ON THE NX CONSOLE!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. And unless Nintendo wants the NX Platform port of Smash 4 to be DoA, with the competitive scene sticking with the Wii U for the foreseeable future, I'm sure that they'll use their common sense & allow GameCube controllers.....or some kind of wired controller.
Yeah, hopefully Smash NX supports the GCN controllers. I've improved like 100% ever since switching. Octagonal gates are a godsend for tilts.

As powerful as the ps 3/360?

that question I remember

I think he's confusing it with the PS3/360, in which case he's accurate in that early rumors were saying that it was a big step up compared to those consoles. The opinion was similar to what you're seeing in here which is "Well, it's coming out X amount of years after those, so i'd certainly hope that it was much more powerful".

fair enough, I also think when the facts hit the fan next year we will see NX not that far removed from X1/PS4 just hoping it can hang around for good ports

Eolz

And one other thing, THE SMASH 4 PORT BETTER SUPPORT THE GAMECUBE ADAPTER , OR ALLOW FOR SOME KIND OF WIRED CONTROLLER, ON THE NX CONSOLE!!!!!! I can't stress that enough.

If they do a smash port, it's to attract the mainstream/casual audience before anything else.
It can be patched in later at worst.

Neoxon

Yeah, hopefully Smash NX supports the GCN controllers. I've improved like 100% ever since switching. Octagonal gates are a godsend for tilts.
I'd also be down for a USB-based GameCube controller with an extra shoulder button, mainly for making Bidou much easier for GameCube controller users like myself.

Oddduck

It sounds like there are some challenges with porting Splatoon and Mario Maker to NX.

Neal Ronaghan, director of Nintendo World Report.

https://twitter.com/nron10/status/720064232553844736

In regards to what @ArcadeGirl64 is saying about NX ports, I only feel confident in Smash/Zelda. Splatoon/MMaker don't seem like guarantees.

https://twitter.com/nron10/status/720064232553844736

Likely Splatoon/Mario Maker are held up in how to transfer the current user base/controls. Doesn't rule out NX ports but doesn't guarantee

Emily chimes in...

Yeah, this is what's holding up the Splatoon / Mario Maker ports right now. They could still come but no guarantees.

It's coming out 3 years later, I would hope that it would be more powerful than the PS4. Lol Then again, I'm not seeing Nintendo putting out anything rivaling UC4 or Gears of War 4 for a while though. Interesting to see how this affects Sony and MS.

Wii came out a year after the 360 and was around the power level of the original Xbox.

Wii U came out seven years after the 360 and was only slightly more powerful than it.

NX being more powerful than the PS4 three years after its launch would be a pretty big change in how Nintendo operates.

Neiteio

What's with all these rumors —

*Neiteio pauses and goes pale*

...oh no

*Neiteio runs to the living room and rips open the curtains. Outside in the streets, cars are burning. Everywhere you look, there are men giving people noogies and asking them to pull their finger*

"Uncles! Uncles everywhere!"

gogogow

They better not. Nintendo's clearly not in a position where they can ask that of people, especially after the Wii U. Not to mention that a good chunk of their existing audience are children, whose parents wouldn't take kindly to paying a subscription fee for online.

Lol, children. Do you know how many 12 year olds are playing COD on PS4/XBO?

kewlmyc

And one other thing, THE SMASH 4 PORT BETTER SUPPORT THE GAMECUBE ADAPTER , OR ALLOW FOR SOME KIND OF WIRED CONTROLLER, ON THE NX CONSOLE!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. And unless Nintendo wants the NX Platform port of Smash 4 to be DoA, with the competitive scene sticking with the Wii U for the foreseeable future, I'm sure that they'll use their common sense & allow GameCube controllers.....or some kind of wired controller.

I'm into competitive Smash 4, but I really think you're overestimating the competitive scene.

JordanN

Banned
Nintendo consoles always have a catch to it.

They make it more powerful but the games have to run on floppy disks.

Luigiv

So uh how powerful is the ps4k? Weren't some people speculating it was literally just an updated HDMI port with the extra 2 CU's unlocked? That would hardly blow something notably more powerful than the PS4 out of the water.

In fact the NX could blow that out of the water.

According to the rumour thread the PS4K is apparently going to have twice the GPU performance and may or may not feature a CPU enhancement (Of which the latter would drive the price up from $399 to $499). No mentions of any RAM updates.

bomblord1

Banned
What's with all these rumors —

*Neiteio pauses and goes pale*

...Oh no

*Neiteio rips open the curtains. Outside in the streets, overturned cars are burning. Everywhere you look, there are men asking people to pull their finger and giving people noogies*

Uncles! Uncles everywhere!

bwahaha xD

According to the rumour thread the PS4K is apparently going to have twice the GPU performance and may or may not feature a CPU enhancement (Of which the latter would drive the price up from $399 to $499). No mentions of any RAM updates.

Hmmm. However notably more powerful could still easily be within a 2x jump in GPU power and without an upgraded processor it should win there by default.

Neoxon

If they do a smash port, it's to attract the mainstream/casual audience before anything else.
It can be patched in later at worst.
I'm into competitive Smash 4, but I really think you're overestimating the competitive scene.
Then that's just that much longer that the FGC will stay on the Wii U version. And if some miracle of God happens & we get more content, it'd be an even bigger kick to the balls for Nintendo have their last-gen console still be featured on the tournament circuit when there's a shiny new version of the same game on another system (see USF4 being played on the 360 during the Capcom Pro Tour until the PS4 version got fixed). And while sure, millions don't watch Smash tournaments, they are still seen & participated in by a substantial number of people. And that's not even counting the unsung heroes of their respective local scenes that aren't always streamed (College Station, for example).

I'll never put much into these rumors but E3 is not far away.

I am guessing there will be a Direct(right before E3) showcasing the NX and E3 will have some games for it shown and playable.

I think an important reason for NX to have Gamecube support is for Gamecube virtual console.

Also I'm so happy that Emily noticed me in the last thread :')

Crazy how many leaks we've been getting since the Trev situation a couple months ago. The dam must be about to break at Nintendo HQ.

Funny how 10 years ago I was lamenting the power (or lack thereof) in the Wii but now I'd much rather have a weaker, more cost effective system than something in the $300-$400 USD price range that can go toe-to-toe with the other consoles.

After the Wii U whatever the NX is will really have to knock it out of the park for me to pick one up.
That or just release Prime 4 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom