• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Game Informer Details [Use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The duel wielding mechanic sounds like in Aliens when Ripley duct tapes the flamethrower to the pulse rifle. Larger areas sound good too.

sixghost

It sucks when your plasma cutter ammo is almost over and you get ammo you can't use. Yeah, it needed fixing and since they showed they couldn't bothered to add ammo drop only for weapons you hold seems like an upgrade.

Large areas to explore sounds good.

That's actually exactly how the game worked. You rarely ever found ammo for weapons that you didn't have.

Deadbeat

Banned
I can see one possible way they would do it. There would be some sort of method where all ammo is power cells or something. These would act like magazines that apply to all guns. So say you have a pulse rifle and a contact beam. One power cell would reload each gun fully, but the pulse rifle would have more shots per cell than the contact beam. One is obviously more efficient with ammo, but it has a much lower damage output per second thus the contact beam being a quick way to kill but you would run out much more quickly. This would lead to much better planning of what guns to use.

But this is the problem now: the first two games had an inventory system which balanced the amount of ammo you could store per inventory space. This led to the balance of ammo loadouts all on its own. Whether this means they are ditching the inventory remains to be seen.

But this is all academic. /tyrell

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Universal ammo is such a horrible change to something that worked very well already. Different ammo types was a large part of the survival aspect. It doesn't even make sense. How does a Ripper and a Pulse Right use the same ammo?

I'm not totally turned off from DS3, but it doesn't look good. I'll have to see the other changes in action before passing judgment

Fantaz

Banned
It sounds like they're using a different game designer this time... perhaps one who did the game design for Army of Two games?

tsiro

Neo Member
Guys, reading a distiller bulletpoint list on this game's features doesn't make you an expert. I'll admit, some of the changes mentioned in this thread do have me a little worried, but considering their past work, I'm willing to give Visceral the benefit of the doubt (at least until I see some gameplay). Plus, some of the other changes sound pretty interesting.

Who knows, maybe it can still be fun even if some of the core mechanics are different? It's not impossible!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Having the new Game Informer, I'm worried. I'm sure the game will be good, but it's like they killing everything that made Dead Space unique in the first place. Feeders are essentially zombies (though creepy looking), cover based combat for non-interesting combat scenarios & enemies (I don't think anyone wants to face Unitologist with guns, fuck, I want to fight fucking Necromorphs not some dumbshit scientist with guns or soldiers like every other shooter out there), universal ammo pick-ups and more ammo (did anyone really want this!?), and a focus on co-op.

I'm okay with co-op, I enjoy co-op, and all the news isn't bad (the story actually sounds pretty interesting, some of the new enemies are really interesting, I like the idea of larger more explorable levels) but just so much of this is... just... FUCK.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In DS 2, wasn't there a thing you could do where if you only bought and carried the plasma cutter, the ammo would almost always be plasma pistol ammo? Makes sense if that's what it is,

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Way I see it is that ammo is going to be more scare than in previous titles as a trade off for it being universal. You can use every gun at your disposal but you have to be careful not to find yourself in a situation that you're out of ammo and there's none/little to be found. It would definitely add to the tension of fighting the Necromorphs.

•Ammo drops are more plentiful

:/

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It sounds like they're using a different game designer this time... perhaps one who did the game design for Army of Two games?

Army of Four is actually coming out of Visceral Montreal.

Dead Space 3 is largely the same team as Dead Space 2, though a few of them are now also working on a new multiplayer focused shooter with a guy from Killzone who joined the studio.

Truant

These sound cool.

Would be cooler to explore some abandoned base and finally find a bunch of ammo for that awesome weapon you crafted.

That stuff was so cool in the STALKER games. Finding a rare ammo type was like christmas times ten.

Derrick01

Banned
I hate grabbing ammo in DS games for weapons I'm not using or don't plan to use.

That's your problem not the game's. They're trying to encourage careful planning and using everything at your disposal and you just want to use 1 gun. I feel bad for the fans of this series. Coming from a wrpg background I'm more familiar with this kind of dumbing down then I'd like to admit so I feel their pain. Hell my favorite series in my avatar was almost ruined by universal ammo (among other things).

Fantaz

Banned
That's your problem not the game's. They're trying to encourage careful planning and using everything at your disposal and you just want to use 1 gun. I feel bad for the fans of this series. Coming from a wrpg background I'm more familiar with this kind of dumbing down then I'd like to admit so I feel their pain. Hell my favorite series in my avatar was almost ruined by universal ammo (among other things).

Well, Western RPGs are supposed to be complex, not watered down like JRPGs.

I suppose by now the main hero is more experienced and combat hardened, but this type of game sounds like they're catering to the COD crowd.

That's exactly what happened in DS1 and DS2. Only difference is that you had to use every gun at your disposal. Now you just upgrade that plasma cutter and never look back.

Because you've played DS3, yeah? And regardless, "Upgrade the plasma cutter and never look back" is exactly what I did in DS1. Stop making shit up.

Derrick01

Banned
The same IO did with Hitman. amirite? let's just wait guys. Don't make the same mistake as with Absolution...

Can you turn universal ammo off? Can you turn cover off? This isn't as simple as instinct mode. This is also EA, who is hellbent on making the most mainstream, unambitious and homogenized games out there.

Well, Western RPGs are supposed to be complex, not watered down like JRPGs.

I'm not touching that one with a 10 foot pole.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Because you've played DS3, yeah? And regardless, "Upgrade the plasma cutter and never look back" is exactly what I did in DS1. Stop making shit up.

Yep. I was going to say, I recall many people on the board I posted at during Dead Space saying 'Just get the Plasma Cutter and ignore everything else.' The Pulse Rifle was the same way for me in Dead Space 2.,

Kinyou

Having the new Game Informer, I'm worried. I'm sure the game will be good, but it's like they killing everything that made Dead Space unique in the first place. Feeders are essentially zombies (though creepy looking), cover based combat for non-interesting combat scenarios & enemies (I don't think anyone wants to face Unitologist with guns, fuck, I want to fight fucking Necromorphs not some dumbshit scientist with guns or soldiers like every other shooter out there), universal ammo pick-ups and more ammo (did anyone really want this!?), and a focus on co-op.

I'm okay with co-op, I enjoy co-op, and all the news isn't bad (the story actually sounds pretty interesting, some of the new enemies are really interesting, I like the idea of larger more explorable levels) but just so much of this is... just... FUCK.
Wait, there will actually be more ammo?

notcrying2fnc7m.gif

Pakkidis

I am going to hold cautious reservations however, cover base system + universal ammo has me very concerned.

One game series that I remember that had unique ammo to universal ammo was Deus Ex Invisible war.....

The same IO did with Hitman. amirite? let's just wait guys. Don't make the same mistake as with Absolution...

Blind faithers are becoming increasingly annoying.

Tell me, faither... can I turn off universal ammo? Can I remove al the conveniently placed knee high walls? Can I remove the enemies with guns?

Luthos

I usually find Gaf/the internet's hatred of cover systems pretty ridiculous. The most recent example being Max Payne 3. But Dead Space is (somewhat) a horror game. Having a cover system will kinda deflate that feeling. Especially with gun wielding human enemies. So yea, don't like that.

And universal ammo? Ugh...

Eusis

I usually find Gaf/the internet's hatred of cover systems pretty ridiculous. The most recent example being Max Payne 3. But Dead Space is (somewhat) a horror game. Having a cover system will kinda deflate that feeling. Especially with gun wielding human enemies. So yea, don't like that.

And universal ammo? Ugh...
To be honest, of any series to go "Hey, you know what would be great? A cover system" Max Payne would be at the top of the list where it's a genuinely good idea, at the least it'd feel a bit more like acting out a crime action movie, and the fact they DIDN'T introduce recharging health likely gives it a different feel from other shooters.

Still, like I said it feels kind of like homogenizing everything, and sometimes this stuff gets thrown into games where it doesn't serve much purpose.

Lakitu

st5fu
I know this isn't the place but more and more Game Informer information is coming out, has anybody seen anything on their Dawnguard article?

Universal ammo sounds fucking awful. I loved ammo management in the first two games. What to keep, what to get rid of, there was a trade off. I LIKE INVENTORY MANAGEMENT.

What's the story?

None of these changes bug me. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something with how so many other people are all worried or freaking out.

In Visceral I Trust.

Xpliskin

Oh wow.

The genre really is dead.

It's a gradual shift towards action-horror. That's what sells.

BUT there's still hope, the new shinji mikami project. The pioneer of the whole thing.
Now I'm even more hyped about it.

Derrick01

Banned
I like to read it as meaning there will be A LOT of weapons. To much to manage individual weapon ammo.

That's possible I guess. It still doesn't make up for dumbing it down though, if that were the case they're sacrificing depth and challenge just to have more ways to kill things. That's how games get the dudebro label put on them. Cover and co-op compounds the problem.

No sorry, it's the game problem since the game is not designed around using every weapon. I already choose and plan by choosing what four weapon I want to use throught the game since there's a very important aspect: upgrades. Upgrades are limited and even with spending most of your money on getting more upgrades you won't able to upgrade more than 4 weapons to a significantly level. So no, the game isn't designed to use every weapon.

gdt

Yowza.

That does sound worrying :/. Universal ammo? Managing inventory was crucial in these games :/.

I trust you Visceral, I do! Just stop making it so hard!

People keep talking about this Hitman shit and I must have missed something. I saw the latest trailer but it didn't have any gameplay; what revelation has convinced people it's actually good?

sixghost

No sorry, it's the game problem since the game is not designed around using every weapon. I already choose and plan by choosing what four weapon I want to use throught the game since there's a very important aspect: upgrades. Upgrades are limited and even with spending most of your money on getting more upgrades you won't able to upgrade more than 4 weapons to a significantly level. So no, the game isn't designed to use every weapon.

The game heavily weights the ammo drops in favor of the guns you are using. Around the time a gun first becomes available, they will throw you a few ammo drops for that gun, then you will rarely ever see that ammo type drop again if you don't use the gun.

There is literally no need for universal ammo. If you are consistently running out of ammo for a certain weapon, you are likely overly reliant on that weapon. The system indirectly guides you to construct a set of 4 complimentary weapons that allow you to efficiently destroy any type of necro.

Cudder

Oh wow.

The genre really is dead.

It's a gradual shift towards action-horror. That's what sells.

BUT there's still hope, the new shinji mikami project. The pioneer of the whole thing.
Now I'm even more hyped about it.

Amnesia-A-Machine-for-Pigs.jpg

There is hope yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom