• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PaRappa the Rapper told me to drop dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Ha funny, though I seriously doubt that. DaBlackNerd is far too articulate. I can barely understand some of the things that Dred Foxx typed out on his FB page.

That's the thing, but Dred Foxx isn't a 13-year-old, even if he types like one on the fan page. He's gotta cater to that audience. If you've read any interview with him, he sounds like a completely different person. So, who's to say he can't drop the pretense here, as well?

Not that I really think DaBlackNerd is Dred Foxx. I just think it would be fucking amazing if he was.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
On the bright side: this thread is a definite ROI.

I did a dramatic reading of all of Dred's posts for my partner and we were in tears.

DaBlackNerd

Neo Member
I know a lot of people. Some of them are named Steve. None of them are named "Da Black Nerd."

...but then, Dred Foxx is black... and isn't he a nerd?

DaBlackNerd, are you Dred Foxx?

Do you know a lot of black people that happen to be nerds? I also do not know a lot of Muhammad's even though its the most common name in the world. I assume that is only because I dont have a lot of friends from that area. I am sure that was a joke of some kind but I dont really get it. Its a really common username among black nerds hence why mine is " DA" because like all generic user names most of it was taken when I tried to make it.

I'm saying I doubt I'd be getting any sort of job requiring me to close $10,000 business deals until I'm out of college at least. But I understand that you're just trying to share your knowledge, I appreciate the thought.

Seriously, I wish you all the best and I applaud you on trying to make it. I know several under 22 year olds who try to do similar things and it doesnt go well and it just seems like the times in which it results in a situation like yours it winds up hurting the kid much more than the business, talent or organization they were trying to work with. Even when I started out I tried to hunt down people who screwed me and it only every wound up costing me really.

Internet high five on even attempting to get something going though most people wouldnt be able to get that far. Hopefully your next experience is better than this one.

C Jones

Yup. OP you'll NEVER work in is town!! Forget your resume. Forget that degree you're going to school for which may or may not have ANYTHING to do with making business deals. Forget your interview skills. One Google search will expose the fact that you got conned out of $100 when you were 18, got mad, and tried to do something about it. No one in any line of work will ever relate to that. Your job will probably just go to Dredd Foxx as he looks so good in all of this, proving himself to be a shrewd businessman. Coffee is for closers.

Daingurse

I don't think you're in the wrong OP, but I also don't think you're getting that money. You might have to accept that, just saying. Can't blame you for trying though, I simply never see you getting this money back.

Sigh.

I have lurked for years and even when I got an account I never post..hell I barely log in most of the time but I wanted to really comment on this situation to give a lot of you some perspective from a person who owns a business and hires people. I worked in Television/Film and Broadcast Production for years before starting my own business and trying to parlay that into gaming. I have written many contracts, had many verbal agreements, handshake agreements etc etc.I want to explain my candid thoughts from reading this and why this is devastating to only OP.

Here is a fact. This will not affect the voice actor at all. Why? Because we are not 12 years old and we dont live in fictional Disneyland where all good people have good things happen to them and bad people get punished. He has already been working in the field for years, he already has a client list, a contact list and a group of people who have seen and liked his work enough to pay for it. The people who work with him have known for years that he is probably an asshole and they accepted and still work with him because skill trumps personality. Hell we all have known Charlie Sheen was an asshole in the decades ago and yet he still gets work doesnt it? There are millions of horrid people who will continue to work every day.

One of my mentors said this to me when I was first starting out in TV...."Be careful when you decide to drag someones name through the mud because its impossible not to get a little dirty yourself."

I am not saying that OP isnt correct I am saying the way in which he has gone about it has only hurt him and you have to be smarter about these things. As an employer how in the hell could I hire you for any job at my company? (Clearly not my real company..I am not saying my company is great or desirable I am just taking that perceptive for the sake of this topic) So you come into my office for a job interview and this is what I see and this is gonna sound harsh and I am sorry for that but I do want to do you the favor of what I really think as someone who hires people.

1. A person so incompetent of business decisions that they tried to make one over facebook. (Seriously facebook?)

2. A person who is so incompetent at business relations and account management that they couldnt close a deal on $100. Its a 100 dollars? I give my interns 100 bucks for gas money. How in the world could I ever trust you to secure a deal for $1,000? $5,000? $10,000? Does most of the money you get vanish into the ether with nothing to show for it?

3. This is the most important as business is always changing and you need to be able to adapt and handle it in a professional manner. This town crier act has just made you into toxic waste. How could I ever trust you to work with any client, be in any meeting or give you any information when at the drop of a hat you will flip out so far of the rails that you go screaming through the streets? Like I said and trust me I am far from rich or super successful but as a business owner I piss out a hundred bucks virtually everyday. You basically are trying to shame a guy for the equivalent of a ink cartage.

For Christ sake, depending on what state you live in it would cost you up to half of that to file in small claims to get it back. Its like finding a spider in your room so you go get a flamethrower and burn down the house. I am not saying that you shouldnt pursue this..actually I am saying that...its really not worth it. As they say you are not a professional until someone owes you money. Treat this as a learning experience and move on. If that is not enough there are ways to go about resolve the situation that are much better than what you have chosen.

In my honest opinion (which doesnt mean anything as I am just some random guy on the internet) you have done little to him and made yourself look like a complete and utter babbling buffoon. You might win some internet high fives but these people are not going to be in the interview room backing you up. You are now going to have to explain to future employees why you made so many horrid decision in this situation and convince them to trust you when they know you cant seem to secure even the smallest of deals.

Seriously though, I am really not trying to insult OP, I just wanted to give a perceptive in which his action are really damaging to his own reputation.

This is just disgusting. It is pretty obvious you are the lame rapper that this whole story is about. Hanging on to your one claim to fame for like 25 years, and then, well, hanging on to that one claim to fame, which is rapping like animals in a video game. Ripping off fans of the game on the Internet. Quite the hustle you got working, Good Job man! You have got to be one of the biggest tool boxes on NeoGaf, so welcome. So embarrassing.

Sigh.

I have lurked for years and even when I got an account I never post..hell I barely log in most of the time but I wanted to really comment on this situation to give a lot of you some perspective from a person who owns a business and hires people. I worked in Television/Film and Broadcast Production for years before starting my own business and trying to parlay that into gaming. I have written many contracts, had many verbal agreements, handshake agreements etc etc.I want to explain my candid thoughts from reading this and why this is devastating to only OP.

Here is a fact. This will not affect the voice actor at all. Why? Because we are not 12 years old and we dont live in fictional Disneyland where all good people have good things happen to them and bad people get punished. He has already been working in the field for years, he already has a client list, a contact list and a group of people who have seen and liked his work enough to pay for it. The people who work with him have known for years that he is probably an asshole and they accepted and still work with him because skill trumps personality. Hell we all have known Charlie Sheen was an asshole in the decades ago and yet he still gets work doesnt it? There are millions of horrid people who will continue to work every day.

One of my mentors said this to me when I was first starting out in TV...."Be careful when you decide to drag someones name through the mud because its impossible not to get a little dirty yourself."

I am not saying that OP isnt correct I am saying the way in which he has gone about it has only hurt him and you have to be smarter about these things. As an employer how in the hell could I hire you for any job at my company? (Clearly not my real company..I am not saying my company is great or desirable I am just taking that perceptive for the sake of this topic) So you come into my office for a job interview and this is what I see and this is gonna sound harsh and I am sorry for that but I do want to do you the favor of what I really think as someone who hires people.

1. A person so incompetent of business decisions that they tried to make one over facebook. (Seriously facebook?)

2. A person who is so incompetent at business relations and account management that they couldnt close a deal on $100. Its a 100 dollars? I give my interns 100 bucks for gas money. How in the world could I ever trust you to secure a deal for $1,000? $5,000? $10,000? Does most of the money you get vanish into the ether with nothing to show for it?

3. This is the most important as business is always changing and you need to be able to adapt and handle it in a professional manner. This town crier act has just made you into toxic waste. How could I ever trust you to work with any client, be in any meeting or give you any information when at the drop of a hat you will flip out so far of the rails that you go screaming through the streets? Like I said and trust me I am far from rich or super successful but as a business owner I piss out a hundred bucks virtually everyday. You basically are trying to shame a guy for the equivalent of a ink cartage.

For Christ sake, depending on what state you live in it would cost you up to half of that to file in small claims to get it back. Its like finding a spider in your room so you go get a flamethrower and burn down the house. I am not saying that you shouldnt pursue this..actually I am saying that...its really not worth it. As they say you are not a professional until someone owes you money. Treat this as a learning experience and move on. If that is not enough there are ways to go about resolve the situation that are much better than what you have chosen.

In my honest opinion (which doesnt mean anything as I am just some random guy on the internet) you have done little to him and made yourself look like a complete and utter babbling buffoon. You might win some internet high fives but these people are not going to be in the interview room backing you up. You are now going to have to explain to future employees why you made so many horrid decision in this situation and convince them to trust you when they know you cant seem to secure even the smallest of deals.

Seriously though, I am really not trying to insult OP, I just wanted to give a perceptive in which his action are really damaging to his own reputation.

You may be in the biz, but my brain is in the biz of being able to tell who's a douche bag to society and who isn't. The only person I see damaged in all of this is the "celeb" who stole a 100 bucks from 2 random fans that wanted to make a fan video. I don't care if they talked over facebook or not. They were still ripped off. In no way does the OP look tarnished in my view. The no name voice actor from the rappa game looks like the crook asshat.

Gotta love the "it's the OPs fault for getting scammed" responses. Also, "crying about it" online actually does work to some extent. How many times has a site like Kotaku picked up on stories like this and embarrassed the offender in question?

Yep, you see this in the poker world all the time. These scams will follow the scammers forever, and they don't take it seriously until it gets brought up time and time again wherever they go. A lot of times they decide that paying up the amount is worth more than the hit to their credibility.

The fact that Fox can't see how immoral and scummy he is is astounding. Over $100.

This thread needs to be shared on other message boards to drive this up the Google rankings.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yup. OP you'll NEVER work in is town!! Forget your resume. Forget that degree you're going to school for which may or may not have ANYTHING to do with making business deals. Forget your interview skills. One Google search will expose the fact that you got conned out of $100 when you were 18, got mad, and tried to do something about it. No one in any line of work will ever relate to that. Your job will probably just go to Dredd Foxx as he looks so good in all of this, proving himself to be a shrewd businessman. Coffee is for closers.

I dunno, man. In a business role, Dred Foxx is probably very competitive. He can sell a bottle cap like this.

MrBadger

Gotta love the "it's the OPs fault for getting scammed" responses. Also, "crying about it" online actually does work to some extent. How many times has a site like Kotaku picked up on stories like this and embarrassed the offender in question?

Yeah, there are a few famous cases of people in the industry behaving unprofessionally on social media and having their reputation affected as a result. Usually it's Twitter, though.

Siiiiiiiiigh

I'll never play these games again

I'm just grateful that I don't associate his name with the greatest rap song to ever grace a videogame.
Pumpkin Hill

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Anyone trying to see things from Dred's perspective needs to read the post where he lost his iPad (which apparently contained Parappa work...?) and needed $5 donations from his FANmily to get back on track with Parappa 3 (which doesn't exist).

This man is unscrupulous and broke as fuck.

C Jones

I dunno, man. In a business role, Dred Foxx is probably very competitive. He can sell a bottle cap like this.
Hahaha!
Anyone trying to see things from Dred's perspective needs to read the post where he lost his iPad (which apparently contained Parappa work...?) and needed $5 donations from his FANmily to get back on track with Parappa 3 (which doesn't exist).

Bingo. Guy had the nerve to throw some Parappa lines in there too to get some sympathy.

kubus

Yeah, this is shady as fuck too.

Screen+Shot+2013-12-02+at+8.25.57+AM.png

The fact that three people already volunteered to donate makes me sad.

Daingurse

Dude's on that hustle, no fucks given. That's why I don't see the OP getting his money back.

The guy has to use the Brooklyn Public Library to access the Internet..he must be completely broke. No way will he ever give back those $100.

Alucrid

Banned
This is just disgusting. It is pretty obvious you are the lame rapper that this whole story is about. Hanging on to your one claim to fame for like 25 years, and then, well, hanging on to that one claim to fame, which is rapping like animals in a video game. Ripping off fans of the game on the Internet. Quite the hustle you got working, Good Job man! You have got to be one of the biggest tool boxes on NeoGaf, so welcome. So embarrassing.

I don't know man. There aren't even any Parappa quotes in there.

jcm

That's the thing, but Dred Foxx isn't a 13-year-old, even if he types like one on the fan page. He's gotta cater to that audience. If you've read any interview with him, he sounds like a completely different person. So, who's to say he can't drop the pretense here, as well?

Not that I really think DaBlackNerd is Dred Foxx. I just think it would be fucking amazing if he was.

If Dred Foxx decides to join the thread it'll have to be later, because the library doesn't open until 1 on Sundays.

DaBlackNerd

Neo Member
I feel compelled to ask just one more questions as I am fairly interested in the answer from some of you.

Clearly, Dredd is down on his luck and in the wrong here, clearly he is an asshole and as a black guy who isnt retarded and talks in jibberish I do dislike him just a bit for his representation....BUT

What is your thoughts on the situation being seen as dog piling on a person down on his luck? Doing this in the public eye and making (not that OP did this part intentionally) others publicly shame him can be viewed as attacking a person who has nothing and is clearly struggling.

If you paid a homeless to wash your car and then when he didnt you started to public berate and scream at him, to the outside viewer you just look like an asshole screaming at a homeless guy right?

To be clear the questions is, is there any concern of backlash of public shaming a person who seems to have nothing even if they are in the wrong?

I feel compelled to ask just one more questions as I am fairly interested in the answer from some of you.

Clearly, Dredd is down on his luck and in the wrong here, clearly he is an asshole and as a black guy who isnt retarded and talks in jibberish I do dislike him just a bit for his representation....BUT

What is your thoughts on the situation being seen as dog piling on a person down on his luck? Doing this in the public eye and making (not that OP did this part intentionally) others publicly shame him can be viewed as attacking a person who has nothing and is clearly struggling.

If you paid a homeless to wash your car and then when he didnt you started to public berate and scream at him, to the outside viewer you just look like an asshole screaming at a homeless guy right?

To be clear the questions is, is there any concern of backlash of public shaming a person who seems to have nothing even if they are in the wrong?

He's a thief. Your situation in life has nothing to do with your morals, so it doesn't really matter that he's broke.

Sanjuro

As an experiment, we should give a hundred dollars to various video game voice actors and see what happens.

Example: I gave the guy from Altered Beast a hundred dollars, and he died from a heroin overdose a week later.

rjinaz

Yes, 100 percent yes. If the guy is scamming people then he gets called out on it and hopefully faces criminal charges eventually.

"I'm sorry officer, I didn't mean to steal that money but I'm down on my luck, you arresting me is just dog piling on!"

If the guy is broke then he needs to use different approaches. Yes even begging for donations is not stealing. Of course you don't scream at homeless guys asking for money. But you do scream at homeless guys that try to rob you. Or I guess maybe you personally don't.

For somebody that tosses away $100 or more everyday like it is nothing, you sure seem to care a lot about people without money. Seems kind of peculiar is all I'm saying.

DaBlackNerd

Neo Member
I don't think your economic status should give you a free pass to be an asshole.

Oh, I do not think so either but not everyone who views this will learn that Dredd is indeed an asshole.

Kind of like how for millions of people who play Candy Crush do not know or care that King is a group of thugs sending other thugs to push their way into the limelight.

If you stood on a soapbox and screamed at the top of your lungs they would just think you are the crazy guy in the park with a tinfoil hat screaming about some mobile game.

I am not saying that you should do nothing, you should try and get your money back (although I think it would cost you far more to even attempted it) I just speaking on the public shaming portion of it. Which again, I do not think you are directly responsible for.

Daingurse

I don't think your economic status should give you a free pass to be an asshole.

On some level, I'll always respect the hustle, that's just how my life experiences have shaped me. But you sir, are the one being hustled here, so you have my sympathies. Nothing morally justifies Dred Fox here, simply is what it is. He's being an ass and taking advantage of you, can't really be argued here.

MrBadger

After reading the entire blog post, Dred really backed OP into a corner by constantly making excuses and then resorting to behaving immaturely and flinging round insults, making it clear that he had no intention of paying back the money. Then, after it went public, there were supporters of Dred calling the people who were owed money trolls and liars, further pushing OP to try and prove the situation and do what he did.

Hey, im gonna go steal a hundred dollars from the bank and then say im down on my luck. They'll let me go without hassle or repercussions im sure!!

Dipper145

Oh, I do not think so either but not everyone who views this will learn that Dredd is indeed an asshole.

Kind of like how for millions of people who play Candy Crush do not know or care that King is a group of thugs sending other thugs to push their way into the limelight.
Anyone who views this would see that dredd was in the wrong. Anyone who reads about king and the copyright candy scandal would see its kind of a scummy thing to do.

Not everyone who plays/listens to parrapa would know about this, and not everyone who plays candy crush would know about that.

Isn't that more accurate?

DaBlackNerd

Neo Member
Yes, 100 percent yes. If the guy is scamming people then he gets called out on it and hopefully faces criminal charges eventually.

"I'm sorry officer, I didn't mean to steal that money but I'm down on my luck, you arresting me is just dog piling on!"

If the guy is broke then he needs to use different approaches. Yes even begging for donations is not stealing. Of course you don't scream at homeless guys asking for money. But you do scream at homeless guys that try to rob you. Or I guess maybe you personally don't.

For somebody that tosses away $100 or more everyday like it is nothing, you sure seem to care a lot about people without money. Seems kind of peculiar is all I'm saying.

I guess I just morally disagree with you. I wouldnt scream at a homeless even if he robbed me. I would be pissed yes but the guy is homeless and there is any number of things that could be going on with him. Would I scream at a young mother who stole food from me to try and feed her kid? I think (or at least I hope) I would see her plight and try to work out the problem privately in a way that wouldnt shame her before I would throw her down in the street and scream that the police take her away. (As in maybe she can work off the amount she stole)

I guess I am too old to understand the internet as half the time it seems like we are fighting as enlighten people who do not resemble the typical brutes of traditional conservatives but then again it seems like it clearly ok to shame someone into oblivion of we collective decide we dont like them...in the exact same way I was when us older blokes were when we started gaming decades ago.

Dredd is a scumbag but it doesnt mean I have to lower myself to scumbag status just because he decided to.

......Wow....in rereading this post you can really tell I am old as hell. Ugh, I kinda sound like a parent or a teacher. Ugh. Time to get off the internet for a while.

Zephyrus

Banned
He's a thief. Your situation in life has nothing to do with your morals, so it doesn't really matter that he's broke.

Actually, no he isn't one.

He's not taking money from anyone. He's not signing a contract and then bail out once he has the money. He's not doing anything a thief does.

Is he being an absolute asshole and despicable human being? Why, yes he is.
Is he still a thief? No.

The OP GAVE him money under the promise that Dred Foxx would work with him. That is just stupid. When you require a service, first you have that person do such service and only after it is done, do you pay for it. Do you pay before someone cooks you a meal? Do you pay before someone fixes something for you?

I know many of you are disgusted by the man's behavior, but the OP isn't in the right too.

My name is Dred Foxx and I'm here to say/
I love stealing money from fans ev er y day/
I want a hundred bucks so you can hear me rap/
But im a shysty mother fucker and I wont give it back/
You should feel lucky i didnt drive the cost up/
Cuz its hard payin bills when you're all washed up/
So go ahead, make a thread on the internet/
Ill be gettin head makin bread from fans writin' me checks/

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My name is Dred Foxx and I'm here to say/
I love stealing money from fans ev er y day/
I want a hundred bucks so you can here me rap/
But im a shysty mother fucker and I wont give it back/
You should feel lucky i didnt drive the cost up/
Cuz its hard payin bills when you're all washed up/
So go ahead, make a thread on the internet/
Ill be gettin head makin bread from fans writin' me checks/

Oh my. That and the library comment above for better or worse have me in stitches.

Zephyrus

Banned
Sometimes, yes?

you do? Boy do I ever hope to meet such gullible people. Atleast then I don't have to hear people complain about what a crappy job I'd make since you know... their money is already in my pocket.

Forgive me if I sound like an asshole, but I happen to live in the real world and deal with real people. I've also learned that if you trust someone simply on someone's word, you're in for a VERY displeasing time

Silky

Banned
Do you pay before someone cooks you a meal? Do you pay before someone fixes something for you?

Yeah

you do? Boy do I ever hope to meet such gullible people. Atleast then I don't have to hear people complain about what a crappy job I'd make since you know... their money is already in my pocket.

Forgive me if I sound like an asshole, but I happen to live in the real world and deal with real people. I've also learned that if you trust someone simply on someone's word, you're in for a VERY displeasing time

:lol

DaBlackNerd

Neo Member
After reading the entire blog post, Dred really backed OP into a corner by constantly making excuses and then resorting to behaving immaturely and flinging round insults, making it clear that he had no intention of paying back the money. Then, after it went public, there were supporters of Dred calling the people who were owed money trolls and liars, further pushing OP to try and prove the situation and do what he did.

This is my point.

You only wind up continuously having to reach deeper and deeper into the abyss to prove your point and you wind up looking more and more crazy even though you are still in the right. You cant really fight with a crazy person or a pure asshole because they are crazy and an asshole and you are not. That means they will always be able to drive the stakes higher regardless of how detrimental it is.

I simply do not believe that the public shame gives you more leverage I think it backs you further into a corner especially if you do not go through the proper channels first. It might give you some internet high fives but if you really wanted to get this resolved I think a judge would question why you sprinted off to facebook instead of filing the proper paperwork.

On a unrelated not, do not really know why people are interpreting what I said as, "Life has no consequences." Confused by that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom